Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    If this was to happen, I'd guess at a transfer fee of 35 million sterling. Fergie rates Ronaldo incredibly highly, and there is just about no chance he wants to see him leave, especially considering he has 4 years left on his contract, and it's Real Madrid.

Lol! Good player but I don't think anyone rates him that highly. Real Madrid would be better off going for Joaquin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 xx eddie

Having put up with Ronaldo for 3 years it would be a bit annoying to see him leave before Utd got the best out of him. He has improved but I would have expected a bigger improvement in his decision making, football brain stuff. Rooney seems to have it naturally i.e. making the right decision most of the time - Ronaldo just too often makes the wrong decision or the selfish one. Too often hitting the long range shot instead of the pass, over-elaborating with the ball instead of the quick offload - he must be a nightmare to play with.
    These things were ok at 18 but its 3 years on now and although he's getting better he is still very frustrating. Plus he dives quite a bit.
    All things considered I would like to see him stay another year or two at least to see if he can progress to a team player a bit more because he has the pace, strenght, power, skill of the top players, just not the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I wouldn't read too much into these stories born out of presidential campaigns. Seems like there's always one big player that will be linked with the club as the prospective candidate promises to someone big in. Laporta tried to bring in Beckham as well before he ended up signing for Madrid, that was during the presidential campaign in Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I wouldn't read too much into these stories born out of presidential campaigns. Seems like there's always one big player that will be linked with the club as the prospective candidate promises to someone big in. Laporta tried to bring in Beckham as well before he ended up signing for Madrid, that was during the presidential campaign in Barcelona.

Yeah good point. How many times have we heard that Henry is going to Real? Or Lampard to Barca as part of a presidential "promise"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Those quotes from "Ronaldo" are pure bollix. If they were found to be true anyway Real would be up the ****ty creek as they would be done for making an illegal approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have no faith in Ronaldos loyalty. Not his biggest fan bbut I would be shocked if we lost him. In terms of money, we could easily get 25 mil plus for him. Personally I think the 12 we paid was over the top but hes one of these players that will command a huge price, doesnt make him any better than he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo has always wanted to, and was always going to end up at Real or Barca, it just depends on when he goes to them.
    If the quotes are true, it is beginning to appear like he could be going quite soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Personally I think the 12 we paid was over the top but hes one of these players that will command a huge price, doesnt make him any better than he is.

Well at 18 and either to improve as a player and lose his headless chicken title (which I think he will) or in 2 or 3 years time to double his price tag(possibly more) then I dont think the transfer fee in hindsight was that far off the mark. He will improve...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldo moved on , The rumours of him wishing to do so have been around for quite a while now. United have not seen the best of him yet and in a few years time I believe he will be one of the best players in his position. I hope he stays but if he does want to move on United should make a healthy profit on him which I would hope will be invested in improving the squad.

Could United get Lennon and Carrick as a job lot? ;)

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote:
    Well at 18 and either to improve as a player and lose his headless chicken title (which I think he will) or in 2 or 3 years time to double his price tag(possibly more) then I dont think the transfer fee in hindsight was that far off the mark. He will improve...

Did we ever once have to say "he'll come good" about Scholes, beckham, Rooney, Fabregas, Eboue, Messi, Torres? All great young players who we knew without a shaddow of doubt would be good.

We have been saying Ronaldo will come good for some time now.

However like I said he will be a huge loss if he goes simply because it would be a step backwards for our new era midfield.

Did we ever once have to say "he'll come good" about Scholes, beckham, Rooney, Fabregas, Eboue, Messi, Torres?

Scholes, Beckham, Torres - yep, Scholes bit part player til he was 22/23.

Fabregas - no, natural born talent

Messi, Rooney - most certainly not...top class already

Eboue - not too sure about him.

We must remember that Ronaldo is still only 20, and with the exceptions of Rooney and Messi, the list above were not light years ahead of him at his stage. Granted he can be frustrating almost half of time...but I can only see him getting better. Sure in his second season at United, he came back about 3 inches taller...the chap is still growin!

Dont get me wrong, id love to see him fulfill his potential. At the moment he is a good player who we do need but hes not the world beater he thinks he is.

Trilla, go get the fu** outta bed and make me a drink a somethin!

At the moment he is a good player who we do need but hes not the world beater he thinks he is.

true bud, true as a bud

I dont think it is a crime, to punish you cas your an idiot, Im greedy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Looking at the reports coming out of Spain, it appears if the election goes Mir's way, Ronaldo will be on his way. I think a figure of £35M Stg is more than double Manu could expect for a player of Ronaldo's young and unproven ability. He has potential, bucket loads, but we have all seen the likes of him come and fade away. What's happeneing here? Why so many first teamers leaving, or reported to be leaving?

Hobart wrote:
    What's happeneing here? Why so many first teamers leaving, or reported to be leaving?

money
    sucess
    sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Trilla wrote:
    money
    sucess
    sun
    All but 2 with Manu? Surely warmer climates are not the only draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Iwouldnt mind seeing Ronnie go if we could invest the cash in two new wingers hopefully Lennon and Duff, both of them would provide service to the front two.

I think Ronaldo is a fantastic player and was far better this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Utd. have never been a selling club, when they have sold, it has been on the clubs terms, and usually when SAF decides. So, if this has changed, then it is a big change in policy, and could reflect what the Glazer's have changed in the club.

Personally, imo, Ronaldo will be at Manu next season, as all Madrid presidente's elect come out with these sorts of nonsense claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/060627/1/kyex.html

United reject Ronaldo claims
    Tue 27 Jun, 2:15 PM

Manchester United have furiously denied claims from a Real Madrid presidential candidate that they are prepared to sell to Cristiano Ronaldo.The United and Portugal winger was quoted in a Spanish newspaper on Tuesday as saying he would relish a move to Madrid if Juan Miguel Villa Mir wins Sunday's presidential elections at the Bernabeu.

And, at a lunchtime press conference, Villar Mir said: "Manchester United know that we are talking with him. We have gone in 'through the front door'."

However, United issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon denying Villa Mir's claims.

It read: "Manchester United are astonished with Juan Miguel Villar Mir's comments. There has been no contact between Manchester United and his election team or Real Madrid, and any suggestion there has been is incorrect.

"Unfortunately these tactics seem to be a common occurrence in elections of this nature.

"Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a long-term contract with Manchester United which runs until 2010. He will be a Manchester United player next season."

According to Spanish daily sports newspaper Marca, Ronaldo welcomed an approach by representatives of Villar Mir aimed at persuading him to join the Spanish giants.

The 21-year-old is reported as saying: "I have told my agent that I would like to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

now that Spain are out of the World Cup we will see the truth behind the Torres rumours! lets hope they are true! should be an interesting few weeks now as teams get knocked out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Trilla wrote:
    true bud, true as a bud

I dont think it is a crime, to punish you cas your an idiot, Im greedy!

Banned for a week.

As is wheres me jumpa

Trying to get back on topic :)

Diarra ain't coming according to Houllier
    Lyon boss Gerard Houllier suspects there is little chance that Mahamadou Diarra will join Manchester United in the summer.

The combative midfielder has long been believed to be United's top transfer target as they continue their search for Roy Keane's successor.

While England's Michael Carrick is very much a name in the frame, it is thought Sir Alex Ferguson remains a firm admirer of the Mali international.

Diarra has proven himself to be one of the top holding midfielders currently plying their trade in Europe, with a series of fine displays in the UEFA Champions League marking him out to be a real player to watch.

Real Madrid have also been mooted as strong suitors for the player's services, but with regards United, former Liverpool chief Houllier - who is eager to keep Diarra in France - is more than a little sceptical.

"I don't think Diarra will be going to United," he told The Guardian.

"We hope Mahamadou will stay but, while there has been interest in him, I don't see him going to The Premiership."

Torres ain't for sale according to Madrid
    Atletico Madrid have stated star striker Fernando Torres is not for sale following his impressive World Cup.

The likes of Milan and Manchester United have already been mooted as possible destinations for the Spain international.

Torres bagged three goals as Spain reached the second round in Germany, but their participation ended following a 3-1 loss to France.

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo has warned other clubs off from making a bid, but says Torres can leave if his lofty release clause is met.

"He has a clause of £41.4 million and anyone that wants him should pay it," said Cerezo to The Sun.

"We have not had any offers or contact with anyone. Fernando is an Atletico Madrid player. He wants to stay with us.

"Fernando is not for sale. We have no intention of selling - on the contrary we are a buying club."

Currently United's plans are going too well.
    Selling Ronaldo and Ruud, not getting in Diarra nor Torres, and appear to be just signing Carrick (which is a good signing imo)
    But I've got faith in Fergie, he'll sort it out.

That said, I think that's just posturing from Madrid.
    They are not a rich club and appear to be already spending the money that they will get for Torres, and I think the min release clause thingy is just trying to push up the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:
    Trying to get back on topic :)

Diarra ain't coming according to Houllier

Torres ain't for sale according to Madrid

Currently United's plans are going too well.
    Selling Ronaldo and Ruud, not getting in Diarra nor Torres, and appear to be just signing Carrick (which is a good signing imo)
    But I've got faith in Fergie, he'll sort it out.

That said, I think that's just posturing from Madrid.
    They are not a rich club and appear to be already spending the money that they will get for Torres, and I think the min release clause thingy is just trying to push up the price.
    I agree that the talk of the release clause is just trying to push up the proce and also shows the supporters that they aren't a selling club. Whether or not they'll stick to it I'm not so sure. If the player wants to leave then there's not much they can do. But as of yet no one knows what he wants.

As for Diarra, they said the same about Essien last year. I think he'll move, to whom though I'm not so sure.

Yeah regarding the Madrid stance on Torres (ie "we won't sell him for any price") is rubbish, all players have a price. Vieira was apparently never going to leave Arsenal because he was similarly "priceless" and he's at Juve!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Now it looks like Carrick is been dragged in to this presidential race also
    Sanz in Carrick claim
    Thursday 29 Jun 2006

England midfielder Michael Carrick could be on his way to Real Madrid, according to presidential candidate Lorenzo Sanz.

Madrid's presidential election takes place on Sunday and Sanz has made a last-gasp bid to win over the voters by claiming to have deals in place to sign five players, including the Tottenham star.
    Michael Carrick Tottenham Hotspur 2005/06 profile size
    MICHAEL CARRICK

"These players have agreements with my technical staff who, if we win the election, will resign if we are not able to carry out the deals on Monday," Sanz told a news conference on Thursday.

"They are Dutch defender Khalid Boulahrouz, Italian defender Gianluca Zambrotta, England midfielder Michael Carrick, Brazil midfielder Emerson and Argentinian midfielder Fernando Gago, who plays for Boca Juniors."

Several of the other candidates have joined Sanz in making extravagant boasts about their plans for the club.

Ramon Calderon claims to have agreed deals with Arsenal's Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas and Chelsea's Dutch winger Arjen Robben and that he is also in talks with Brazil star Kaka.

Meanwhile, Juan Miguel Villar Mir insists he has opened negotiations with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger about the vacant coach's position at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Source:http://www.4thegame.com/club/thfc/news/190960/sanz_in_carrick_claim.html

Also reported on Skysports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As was Robben yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

It's all a bit of a circus at Real madrid isnt it?

I'm beginning to get a little bit worried TBH. Cristiano Ronaldo hasnt rejected these claims that he wants to leave the club and the RVN situation hasnt been resolved but the most important thing is we havent signed one player yet.

Carrick is a good player, in fact he's better than any of our midfielders but getting Carrick will not get us any closer to Chelsea next year. We need a worldbeater in the middle and Carrick certainly is not the answer.

The big italian clubs wont get relegated, they'll get a fine at the most so there's no point in waiting for the serie A sale to happen cos it wont.

Most Manyoo activity has traditionally been done after the WC/major tournament, patience my friend!

RVN hopes the situation will be resolved and has said that he expects to return there etc. Although that's what he thinks (it could be wishful thinking or maybe he's getting indications from somewhere), I beliieve SAF would be a fool to let him go.

The big italian clubs wont get relegated, they'll get a fine at the most so there's no point in waiting for the serie A sale to happen cos it wont.

Tell that the agents of the players who are touting them around Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

need a worldbeater in the middle and Carrick certainly is not the answer.

where are you getting this magical information from? have you looked into your golden ball and forseen the futre?

what will next week's lotto numbers be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

where are you getting this magical information from? have you looked into your golden ball and forseen the futre?

what will next week's lotto numbers be?

I've never seen the futre myself whats it like? Did he not used to be a portuguese player from fifa on the mega drive?

so many rumours flying around with this Madrid presidential election and most of it is just bullshit! wont believe any of the rumours till someone signs a contract!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Allegedly, Zokora has passed a medical @ WHL so there may be some developments on the Carrick trasfer next week.

Allegedly, Zokora has passed a medical @ WHL so there may be some developments on the Carrick trasfer next week.

how many midfeilders do spurs have?? Carrick must be on his way now i'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Not for £20 million I hope.

I'd prefer Reo Coker myself, annd he'd be cheaper

Not for £20 million I hope.

I'd prefer Reo Coker myself, annd he'd be cheaper

i like reo-coker myself and i think fergie should have been looking at him too! Carrick is a good player but i think its getting to the stage where we are gonna be paying way over the odds for him! he's a good player but he still has to develop a bit before he'll cut it in europe!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well it looks like Man U and been in touch with Riquelme
    Argentina playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme has confirmed that Manchester United have made a sizeable bid for his services.

The classy Villarreal star is also believed to be a target for Internazionale but made the revelation from his country's training camp ahead of their World Cup quarter final with hosts Germany.

Riquelme starred in Villarreal's march to the UEFA Champions League semi-finals, including emerging from United's group, before missing a crucial last minute penalty that would have secured extra time against Arsenal.

The South American has been one of the star performers in Germany this summer and is rated as one of the best midfielders on the planet.

"My future is to think about Friday's game and to enjoy the World Cup," he told Radio La Red.

"Later, with Villarreal, I am very comfortable. If the club decides they are going to sell me, I will have to think what do about my future but that depends on my club.

"Inter? I am happy they can have an interest but, today, I am in a city where they give me great affection and where I have gained the respect of European football. That is very important for me.

"The club is growing. As far as offers are concerned, I know that Manchester have offered I don't know how many millions but Villarreal said that I was not for sale."

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is determined to sign a new midfielder and is primed to make his moves in the transfer market.

Source Skysports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Love the way he plays, always fun to watch when he's playing well. Always did fantistacally for me in FM too. :p

But... Fergie's reputation when it comes to South Americans is bad... Even good ones turn crap - Veron, Forlan et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

thank god.... a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Apparently Riquelme has an €18mil release clause (don't know how true that is) so he'd be cheaper than carrick too

jobonar wrote:
    i like reo-coker myself and i think fergie should have been looking at him too! Carrick is a good player but i think its getting to the stage where we are gonna be paying way over the odds for him! he's a good player but he still has to develop a bit before he'll cut it in europe!

You won't get Reo Coker for much less than Carrick.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I can't see Riquelme being a success at Man Utd (or any premiership club), it just wouldn't suit him.

Reo-Coker is a lesser name than Carrick and West Ham are in a weaker selling position than Spurs. I agree with him being a cheaper option.

I can't see Riquelme being a success at Man Utd (or any premiership club), it just wouldn't suit him.

Reo-Coker is a lesser name than Carrick and West Ham are in a weaker selling position than Spurs. I agree with him being a cheaper option.

West Ham are currently a side who are buying, not selling. Reo Coker is less than one year into a five year contract (Carrick has 2 years to go on his, hence Spurs listening to offers if he won't sign an extension), he's club captain.

All that suggests to me that West Ham would expect top $ for him, I'd say £10 million minimum.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, isn't the current story that United are offering close to £20m for Carrick? There's a bit of a difference there...

Well, isn't the current story that United are offering close to £20m for Carrick? There's a bit of a difference there...

Last I heard we value him @ 20m, ManYoo are considering a bid of 15m.

Don't get me wrong, Reo Coker would be cheaper, but he isn't a budget option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

But... Fergie's reputation when it comes to South Americans is bad... Even good ones turn crap - Veron, Forlan et al

True but Heinze has turned out to be one of his best buys. ALso Veron was sold before he could make an impact. He was class in Europe for us but was not fit when it came to the Real Madrid Crunch match. I watched him pre-season for utd in the states before he went to chelsea and his was the best player by a mile.I f he had been given more time or had played with a roy keane in his prime things could have been different.

I just think that some Latin American players aren't suited to the English game, some are. One has to be very selective, their games are more suited to La Liga or even Serie A. There's no doubting Veron's class, Kleberson had a brilliant WC, they just didn't click (Kleberson anyway, Veron should've been given more of a chance). On the other side of it, Heinze has proved to be a shrewd signing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I agree with you, i think Veron and Kleberson were good players, just not suited to the premiership. I always thought veron played well at times for manu, i just think that because of the price manutd paid, there was more expected of him and probably right as well.

I really hope we dont sign Riquelme as he will just be as bad as veron, yeh he will have a couple of good games, but he has no pace, doesn't track back which puts more pressure on other midfielders having to track back. I'm not saying that Riquelme isn't good enough, just dont think he would suit the premiership.

I think we missed on Zokora with him going to spurs, i really expect to see spurs get a champions league spot and that could be at manutd or arsenal expense. I also think after watching Essien play for gana in the WC he is wasted at chelsea and should have opted to join manutd, we could probably still get him if we paid around £20,=million, who knows:confused:

I honestly don't think Riquelme would evn come to the Premiership let laone Man Utd, he needs space to play which the Premiership doesn't have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Petit wasn't really inspiring today against England, not sure he is what United need to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement