Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sizzler wrote:
    Id say the best we can hope for is pick up a bargain from Juve and hopefully Carrick, cant say Im over optimistic about the new season :(
    i dont want Carrick at the club full stop
    hes not that good
    and hes English which means he'll cost more to buy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

I suppose the best thing to do now is come up with a list for prospective replacements for Ronaldo. Names like Morten Pedersen of Blackburn and Simao Sambrosa come to mind, but I'm only at the tip of the iceberg here.

Yes, we really need to bring in a player - any player! - as soon as possible. Midfield (central) is definitely the priority. I expect United to have signed at least two players by the end of next week just in time for the pre-season tour of South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Got to hold my hands up and say that I was slightly wrong with my opinion on C Ronaldo. I really want him to improve, and I still think he can but to say his performance in this WC was disappointing would beputting it mildly. He's showed flashes of some good skill, and one or two very few decent passes, but on a whole his end product is brutal and the diving takes the biscuit.

If United do sell him, they must and hopefully will get at least €32m for him (which is bot £25m) AND purchase a winger and centre midfielder. ideal scenario would be Joucquin( spellin sorry) and Gattuso/Vieira. Id settle for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll be very very sad to see Ronaldo leave United, but I imagine it'll be for about 30 million. It was always coming, but I had hoped to keep him until about 26-27. Alas, he will be replaced, and in the short term, United will be a better team.

Well, now United's transfer are going to be nuts.

Ruud was essentially kicked out due to fighting with Ronaldo, so whether or not he'll stay now is about how big a man fergie is and whether or not he can apoligise, I hope he can.

United would probably lose out to Arsenal/Liverpool in the race for 2nd if we lost both Ronaldo and Ruud in one year, unless some serious firepower was brought in.

For now, I'm praying all four teams in Italy get relegated. Furthermore, Ronaldo better be sold before then, otherwise his price will go down.

Bye Ronaldo, thanks for the memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ronaldo was awful last night. He had a pretty poor WC, apart from a decent performance against England.
    I was firmly in his corner when the BBC were using him as a scapegoat when they went out, but you have to wonder did the whole Rooney incident even have anything to do with his decision. Rumors were strong well before that quarter final.
    It'll be a shame to see him go, because we never did see the best of him.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    For now, I'm praying all four teams in Italy get relegated. Furthermore, Ronaldo better be sold before then, otherwise his price will go down.

Yep rosary beads are out for that one. Potential and ideal targets PHB for United from Italian clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

jank wrote:
    More like half that...
    15 million? There's no way in hell he'd be let go for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

but I imagine it'll be for about 30 million

More like half that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

great player I hope he stays at Man U !

is PArk still going to stay on too?

Ah there are so many, and you never know what's going to happen.
    Juve aren't exactly filled with wingers, they get their width mostly from their full backs, and we're already sorted there.

What we need is for Milan to get relegated :)

---

TBH, I'm kinda annoyed at Ronaldo saying nobody stuck up for him, especially after the Ruud-Ronaldo incident.

On the plus, it means if Fergie can suck it up, Ruud will be staying at United. So I guess with every dark cloud there is a silver lining.

---

BTW, to anyone who thinks his price will be low, there's a reason why Real Madrid are interested, and that's because of his talent.

He cost United 12 million pound, and there is no way he will go for less than 25 million, but I'd say he'll go for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

15 million? There's no way in hell he'd be let go for that.

If we're talking sterling here then there's no way it'll be for £30m. I'd reckon around £18m, maybe £20m at a push.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I reckon it will be closer to the £25m mark. United know that after Rooney he is their biggest asset so they are not going to leave him go for peanuts.

United activity in the transfer market now hinges on how much Ronaldo goes for, because the board have already said that what ever Fergie's gets for him, he can put towards a replacement.

Hopefully now we will see a few decent signing coming in over the next few weeks.

PHB you might as well change the sig now

Not yet, we'll see how it all pans out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

i dont want Carrick at the club full stop
    hes not that good
    and hes English which means he'll cost more to buy :rolleyes:

Agreed...but theres fock all else knocking around at the moment, no standout centre mid players in the premship with the exception of the obvious of Fat Frank and Gerrard.

Desperation at this stage :mad:

Bottom line is that United need players this week before the pre-season tour begins. All our major rivals have signed players... it's getting concerning at this stage. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Nah, we have a good 3 weeks before we need to have the people signed.
    I've got faith in Fergie, he isn't panic buying because he can't get the targets he is after, he is waiting for the right players, and I'm happy about that.

Bayern Munich's chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has revealed that Ruud van Nistelrooy's intention is to sign for the German champions.

Bayern have long courted the unsettled Dutch striker, who has been on the periphery at Old Trafford ever since being axed for February's Carling Cup final.

Now Rummenigge has revealed that the player, too, is hankering after a switch to Die Bundesliga and the Allianz Arena club.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has so far refused to discount the 30-year-old from his plans for the forthcoming season but it appears as though van Nistelrooy has decided that his future lies away from The Red Devils.

"The player wants to join us, that is already known," Rummenigge told Bild Am Sonntag.

"We will settle the issue in due course - there is no reason to hurry.

"We have to talk with the player and, of course, Manchester United as well."

General manager Uli Hoeness has also revealed that Bayern are active on a number of fronts as they bid to bolster their squad ahead of the new campaign.

The German Rekordmeister have already signed Lukas Podolski and Daniel van Buyten but are still hoping to add at least one more big name signing.

"There are some things in the pipeline," said Hoeness.

Hoho, the day gets worse :)

But at least there is a buyer who will pay decent money out there for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have said all along that United will win nothing this season without Ruud and Fergies stubborness will cost him his job.

As for Ronaldo, good riddance. Not a United player and most certainly the biggest cheat of the WC. Never liked him and never will. United will be a better unit without him and there will be less aggro on the training field.

PHB wrote:
    Bye Ronaldo, thanks for the memories

yep bye bye Ronaldo, I defended him in every argument but it takes the chocolate chip biscuit to go on Portuguese TV and say I;m going to either Barca or Real Madrid....go on son pack your bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Did he definitely go on tv and say that? Can someone give a link with some substance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I'm dissapointed with Ronaldo to be honest but in the end what could we expect? I like players with flare to play for MU and i enjoy that part of his game but his diving would make you sick he also has a bad attitude and doesnt seem willing to learn.
    He was asked recently: Why do people boo him? and he said because i am a dangerous player. Does he realise its because he's a cheater?
    In terms of ability he is great but as others mentioned i think he doesnt have the brains to become one of the best in the world. He's not a figo, not a Rooney and he is nowhere near as good as giggsy was at 20.

I think its important that Fergie puts his arm around RVN, Ruud doesnt want to leave and he's important to our cause.

So what are our transfer prospects for the new season?

Replacing Ronaldo - Buy Joaquin(25m), buy Simao(15m), Use Richardson more, Use Park more.

RVN - Keep him or Sell him and buy a replacement costing the guts of 25-30million.

midfield - Buy Carrick(18m), Buy Macherano(23m), Buy Gattuso(10m), buy Diarra(25m).

I hope ruud stays and we buy one of the 3 midfielders and replace Ronaldo with Joaquin.

In terms of the players we have already i'd like to see Rossi, Jones get more minutes next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

manutd.com says pirlo and gattuso are wanted... i wouldnt say no tbh.

Yep, Pirlo and Gattuso would be great signings for the club. They know each other very well from Milan and would instantly strike up a partnership in the centre of midfield. Where would this leave Scholesy, though? Maybe he wouldn't mind being rotated... :p

I'm personally tired of waiting for us to sign someone... get on with it already!

evad_lhorg wrote:
    they would be great signings

saw this on http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

who is Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

they would be great signings

saw this on http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

who is Nuri Sahin

ManUtd.com is just saying what the papers are saying, it is not an offical link.

As for Nuri Sahin, he is FREAKING CLASS.

Very young turkish CM. great technique, great passer of the ball but also has great stamina (for his age) and likes a tackle.

kinda like Cesc Fabregas with more grit.

I'd be delighted if we signed him.

We'll need to hang on to Ronnie - cause Ronnie is his hero!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

I'm personally tired of waiting for us to sign someone... get on with it already!

Yeah they need to get a move on now the world cup is over.

Tauren wrote:
    ManUtd.com is just saying what the papers are saying, it is not an offical link.

As for Nuri Sahin, he is FREAKING CLASS.

Very young turkish CM. great technique, great passer of the ball but also has great stamina (for his age) and likes a tackle.

kinda like Cesc Fabregas with more grit.

I'd be delighted if we signed him.
    sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what age is he? has anyone seen him play? what type of player is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what age is he? has anyone seen him play? what type of player is he?
    he is 17 (18 in september)

He is a central midfielder, like Cesc Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

do you think all this negativity and fighting between players in the club coupled with the takeover will leave a negative attitude on any potential signings mind?

I think the takeover's effect has been quelled a bit, it hasn't affected things as I initially thought it would. As for the in-fighting, Ronaldo says he wants to leave if he does that's pretty much problem solved!

As for potential signings, Man U are a big club, and are too big to let petty squabbles hide that fact or discourage future signings imo

Sahin is cool, not at the level of Fabregas, maybe Fabregas a year ago, would be a good signing, but for the future, not for the short term.

I will eat a hat if we sign both Pirlo and Gattuso, I'll pray it happens, but I would be completely suprised if it did. I don't think anyone but those with great hope could expect that. Gattuso is definally an option, and someone I'd like to see, (perhaps to pair up next to Carrick), but Pirlo aswell, would cost about 40 million pounds for both of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

evad_lhorg wrote:

Its only paper talk and TBH i dont believe a word of that story. AC have just sold Shevchenko to chelsea and Kaka could be on his way to real madrid, so i can't see Gattuso and Pirlo all being sold in the summer, where does that leave AC? I would love to see if we could sign KAKA, but i dont think he would come to england and manu, im sure he'd prefer to fo to sunny spain ( i know i would ). I've seeing all the specualtion today with Ruud and Ronaldo, its being a disappointing summer with regards to signings. I did say a while back that i thought it would be a another summer of may B's etc like always. The squad head of to south africa shortly, i honestly can't see us signing anyone until next week if we do and i bet they will probably be panic buys at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

so i can't see Gattuso and Pirlo all being sold in the summer, where does that leave AC?

In serie B or worse? the greatest sale of modern times is just around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

how so? Milan can afford to keep those player on for a season. I cant see gattuso or pirlo kicking up a huge fuss over leaving. I am sure they wont mind waiting 2 seasons before Champions league football.

They can also be loaned for a season. Italian players rarely leave Serie A. I think most of the italian players will stay at their clubs or else move to another italian club. If they were to leave i would say alot would follow Cappello to Real madrid.

I dunno Chucky, Gattuso by that stage will be 30 (and probably a bit flat too) and I doubt that either would want to be out of the upper echelons of club football for two years, it's a long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Okay, two rumours in the world of united today are;

Manchester United have rekindled their interest in Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves. (Daily Mail)

Real Madrid are poised to put in a £10m transfer offer for Manchester United's Argentina international defender Gabriel Heinze. (The Sun)

Real Madrid can **** right off, ten million wouldn't buy one of his socks. Although that said, he is south american so Real may be tempting. Doubt it though.

As for Hargreaves, he's good at what he does, but we need someone who can do what he does but also pass. That said, the way this summers transfers are going, he wouldn't be bad in part exchange for Ruud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

If we're talking sterling here then there's no way it'll be for £30m. I'd reckon around £18m, maybe £20m at a push.

I agree, I can't see any team paying over the odds for Ronaldo.
    18 Mill max.

He is such a frustrating player, I remember seeing Dennis Irwin analysing him in a game a few years back. Irwin made the comment that Ronaldo draws 1-2 defenders to him when he has the ball so there must be a gap created somewhere yet Ronaldo never exploits it or passes/crosses when he should.
    Essentially, no end product for all the fancy moves etc.
    Very frustrating player and in the long run I believe United are better without him.

Get someone who is a meat and potatoes winger, someone who understands the role, that your job as a winger is to get past full backs and to provide for the strikers, someone who can cross the ball and knows when to make the killer pass or through ball. Ronaldo has never grasped any of the above because he is a selfish player.

Real Madrid want to sign him, United do not want to sell him, Fergie thinks he is one of the hottest prospects in World Football, he is under contract for four years.

He won't go for less than 25 million, cause Fergie wants him to stay and have 4 years of him under contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

In serie B or worse? the greatest sale of modern times is just around the corner.
    I heard the verdict is due today but I can't find any info on it on the net....anyone know for sure when this is due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

he eagerly awaited verdicts regarding the Calciopoli investigation may not be delivered until much later this week, reports are suggesting.

Juventus, Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina – plus 25 individuals – were initially expected to be told of their fate on July 10 but yesterday passed without any verdict being delivered.

Whispers last night then suggested that any possible sentences would be released on Tuesday or Wednesday.

However, speculation in the peninsula today suggests that we may have to wait until Thursday or as late as Saturday to be informed of the CAF court’s decision.

Chief judge Cesare Ruperto and his pool of colleagues are considering charges of sporting fraud with regard to the 2004-05 season.

Chief prosecutor Stefano Palazzi has called for Juventus to be relegated to a Division “lower than Serie B” and deducted six points.

He has urged the court to relegate the three other teams to Serie B with a 15-point deduction for Fiorentina and Lazio, but Milan with only a three-point deficit.

I cant wait!

Fingers crossed the verdict is today. Apparently Cannavaro is already being sought after by Real Madrid. United have to move in quickly to get Gattuso and maybe Pirlo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anyone get the speculation today about Heinze to Real?

Rereading it again I notice that no-one is quoted in any way but worrying nonetheless. anyway if they get him it's just one less Juve defender that they'll take.

Gattuso would be sweet, I'm not so sure about Pirlo, great player but I just feel he'd be roughed up a bit by some of the journeymen round the country. He needs lots of time to execute his stuff, I don't think the English style would suit him although it would be a great coup if they did sign him!

Didn't Gattuso say a few months back that he would be interested in joining Man U?

Yeh, he has always been interested in it, due to Walter Smith mostly. His loyalty to Milan always kept him there though.

Pirlo, although I highly doubt we'd get him, would be fine in the premiership. First off, he doens't need that much time on the ball, he isn't like Veron or Riqueleme or anything. Secondly, you only see the best of him, or the best of Gattuso as a team. Gattuso is like the bad cop and Pirlo the good cop. They are an incredible team.

Yeah true a great team, still think he'd get knocked around a bit (he is a pretty boy after all!) But regardless, I'd be delighted!

Do you think if they signed both that Man U's system will change to accommodate both of them? For Milan they both play deep with Kaka or Seedorf and wing backs and two up front. Similar to Italy except with a playmaker (Totti) behind one striker (Toni).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I cant wait!
    Hopefully drastic action will be taken.....for teh detriment of the Italian game, but the benefit of the EPL.

It's like the old days of cheating in Champ Manager, taking over Juve and selling all their good players :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Gattuso and Pirlo would be great signings!! hope thy decide they want out when Milan are relegated! Since we dont really know how much football scholesy can/will play because of his eye there should be a huge effort made to snap up these 2!

Yep, Gattuso and Pirlo would be a great double act for United. I think they'd fare well in home games, but perhaps Scholes' experience in the Premiership would be useful in away games where the atmosphere would be more unfriendly, so to speak. Gattuso would be fine in these games, of course. He specialises in "getting stuck in"! :D

Also, if Ruud goes, I think we could organise some swap deal for either Hargreaves (if we're desperate) or Schweinsteiger (if Ronaldo goes). Just an idea, of course. Midfield is the priority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement