Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

Vieira is not the player for United. I'm convinced the player we need is Gattuso from Milan. I'm not optimistic about getting him now, though. I hear that Milan will stay in Serie A, only with a points deduction and no Champions League football next season. Fingers still crossed we get him, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Vieira is not the player for United. I'm convinced the player we need is Gattuso from Milan. I'm not optimistic about getting him now, though. I hear that Milan will stay in Serie A, only with a points deduction and no Champions League football next season. Fingers still crossed we get him, though.

Gattuso has previously expressed an interest in playing for united so the lack of european football for possibly 2 seasons might persude him to go.... with a bit of luck!

any remote chances of getting Pirlo are gone now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

whats the going rate on ageing goalscorers nowadays ?
    I have this mate called roman who says its £30m... this true ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gennaro Gattuso pledged his future to Milan, whatever division they might be playing.

"I have a very long contract with Milan. If we go to Serie B, I will be there too."

Milan are waiting for the verdict of the Calciopoli scandal and they risk playing Serie B football next season.

There goes your Gattauso signing so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Not sure if I heard correctly on the radio just now, but Apparently Ruud has agreed terms with Real Madrid

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

revileandy wrote:
    Not sure if I heard correctly on the radio just now, but Apparently Ruud has agreed terms with Real Madrid

Yeah its also on SSN. They have just reported that Man U are refusing to comment on reports in Holland that Ruud has agreed to join Real Madrid. Reports suggest that Real and Man U are holding talks to try to agree terms. Ruud's agent has said that Ruud will announce his plans in the next 10 days.

BBC are also reporting it.

On another note, Man U have agreed to let Ben Foster go back to Watford on a year long loan move.

And official pics of the new kit can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Looks like we got Kuszczak

Lets throw a party we're gonna win everything!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ruud probably has agreed terms, the issue is between Real and United.
    Real want him for 10, while United want 15.

As for the Italian players, let's see what the story is in 40 minutes.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

New Kit Official Pics

At least it says MUFC somewhere so I'm happy.

I like the shirt, back to the simple designs, although still no collar :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I see it looks Manutd have signed Tomasz Kuszczak from West Brom, fergie said there in the middle of finishing off the details, so i expect him to be there on monday. I really dont see the point in signing him to be quiet honest, we have Ben Foster who looks really good,but his down fall is he has no premiership experience. I honeslty think its a waste of £3million. Whats going to happen to Tim Howard? next season and Ben Foster?
    GGGGGGGGGRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad: I'm really annoyed, i can see we will probably sign carrick, who is over rated and Ruud is off to Real

PS: Ruud Van Nistelrooy has asked to leave manutd, Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed.

BREAKINGNEWS ON SKYSPORTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Whats going to happen to Tim Howard? next season and Ben Foster?
    Howard is on loan at Everton, Foster is staying at Watford on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Brian017 wrote:
    Howard is on loan at Everton, Foster is staying at Watford on loan.

I think he is refering to next season as in the one after the one coming. Anyways, not completely mad about potential signing Viera but he is a decent player and I wont be too disappointed if he comes. People here seem fairly confident in the Carrick deal? I wouldnt be surprised if he stays at Spurs this season. I would have loved if Gattuso went to Old Trafford, ah well! With Ruud more than likely set to leave a new striker is needed. What are the realistic targets (which I seriously doubt Torres is one for money and geographical reasons) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Turn on Sky Sports News and prepare to set your faces to disgusted; Ruud has handed in a transfer request :(

What do you mean disgusted?

Ruud was always leaving United. What's changed?

Ruud can no longer gain the money for 2 years that we woulda get if we had sold him, which is good news for United, about 4 million saved.

I had mustered up some hope in the last couple of weeks that he might stay. :/
    Combine that with a complete lack of signings, striker or otherwise.

If he moves we will have the money to sign another striker if we want.

Personally, I'd rather see the money spent on midfield.

I think with Rooney, Saha, Smith, Rossi, and Ole we are pretty good in the striking department.

I'd rather midfield take priority as well, but my mind flashes back to the season before last where Ruud was out for the whole season and we ended up with our lowest goal tally in Premiership history.
    Although, having said that, Saha was out of the picture as well with all his injury problems.

a striker but who? I dont think Torres will join Man Utd. That leaves who? What happened to speculation regarding Gudjohnsen. I wouldnt like that dea either. What are the decent and realistic transfer targets for United up front?

• Advertisement

a striker but who? I dont think Torres will join Man Utd. That leaves who? What happened to speculation regarding Gudjohnsen. I wouldnt like that dea either. What are the decent and realistic transfer targets for United up front?

Edit: Double Post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Trilla wrote:

Gudjohnson went to Barcalona.

PHB, werent you confident in getting at least 20 million for RVN when the ronldo bust up happend?

Bit wide of the mark there it looks like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Thought it was only Liverpool managers that let the World Cup dictate players prices :p

Well no actually, I was confident of getting at least 15-20 million, but that was dependent on a decent WC, which he didn't have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    Well no actually, I was confident of getting at least 15-20 million, but that was dependent on a decent WC, which he didn't have.

tbh, unless ur name is abramovic, ur not going to pay 15-20 for a 30 year old striker.

utd would do good to get torres i reckon. would love to see him in the prem. rooney and torres would form the youngest (and now for THE term of the world cup) "world class" strike force in europe. cristina leaving might be troublesome tho as he has massive talent and huge marketing power.

there is still that big gap in the middle tho. Carrick would be perfect i think, smith once he is better would be handy... but there is better.
    Diarra being the name tossed about most frequently. i would love to see utd starting their games with the following next season (although it would prob cost more then uncle sam could afford)

Van De Sar

-Neville---Rio
    Vidic---Heinze-

-Ronaldo---Carrick--Diarra---Giggs / park

Rooney
    Torres

expensive, but top notch.
    wingers will be a problem if cristina leaves as giggs is old and park, although v.good isnt up to the standards utd should have for a first 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Although inevitible,this is sad news.There are very few players out there that can replace Ruud and it just doesnt bode well for the future.

The midfield needs major surgery which still hasnt been addressed yet and now our main goal scorer is gone and somehow needs replacing.He definitely needs replacing as there isnt an obvious player in the squad to step into his shoes.

Rossi and Rooney arent goal poachers which only leaves Saha and much as I like him,hes not going to give you anywhere near the same return as Ruud.

I think people are vastly under-estimating the magnitude of the loss to the team.Strikers who can guarentee goals with such regularity are like gold dust.

I really am becoming depressed about next season already.

Rossi and Rooney arent goal poachers

Rossi is a goal poacher

The reason Ruud was sold was because while he was a fantastic goal scorer, Fergie thought his lack of movement made the team play worse as a whole.
    Our lack of goals from midfield and defense is not just down to our poor midfield, but the style of play of our forwards.
    While I think Ruud is a fantastic player, and I'd love for him to be at the club, United do look a better team as a whole when Saha is playing.

I would be inclined to agree with PHB on that point. Louis Saha does bring something different to the team when he plays. Ruud was an awesome player for us, don't get me wrong, but as long as Saha remains injury-free next season, we could have quite a formidable strike force.

I still think putting Rossi out on loan would do him a world of good. Our strike force would then consist of Rooney, Saha, Smith and one other player, hopefully Torres.

It's still imperative for us to get a midfielder or two in first, though. We should deal with this first, then worry about our strikers. Carrick would be okay, but Gattuso is the man we want! Get him now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

There seem to be rumors floating around of United looking at Defoe, the price going around is £15m! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

That was in this mornings papers, the Torres rumours won't go away either.
    Ruud seems to have agreed terms with Real Madrid.

I agree that he has been fantastic for us. His goals will be missed.

Seeing that AC milan didn't get relegated i would say that Gattuso will be staying put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What about young Eagles who scored that Beckhamesque goal last season from the half way line ? Any views on him ? Will he be at OT this season or still on loan ?

ZEN

Eagles isn't good enough for United, I think everybody at United including Eagles knows this, he'll stay at Watford if possible

PHB wrote:
    Rossi is a goal poacher

The reason Ruud was sold was because while he was a fantastic goal scorer, Fergie thought his lack of movement made the team play worse as a whole.
    Our lack of goals from midfield and defense is not just down to our poor midfield, but the style of play of our forwards.
    While I think Ruud is a fantastic player, and I'd love for him to be at the club, United do look a better team as a whole when Saha is playing.

I agree with you PHB on Ruud and i think this was the main reason he was droped last season. I think it all started when we lost to liverpool at anfield and Sir Alex lashed out at Ruud because he wasn't tracking back or closing down like rooney. I know rooney is 10 years younger, but its not as if he isn't fit either. That was one thing about Ruud that really annoyed me, i never thought he did enough or try hard enough, i dont ever remember ever having a good game against liverpool.

This summer has being disappoining with transfers. I really think we need to sort out the midfield bigtime. I see DEFOE name being metioned this morning, wouldn't be a bad signing i think.

Jermaine Defoe at United? It wouldn't be the worst signing, actually. I hadn't thought of him. 15m pounds would be expected. If we can't get Torres, a strike force consisting of Rooney, Defoe, Saha and Smith would be pretty good. Plenty of pace and movement, anyway. Maybe we need these kinds of players as they suit our style of play.

As for the midfield, it doesn't look good as far as signing Gattuso. I am still hopeful we can get him, though. It could happen...

Please not Carrick. We should only sign him as a last resort, in my opinion. If we sign him, he might prove me wrong, though. The fact that Tottenham signed Didier Zokora indicates they expect Carrick to be on his way. It's possible, at least.

Carrick wouldn't be a bad signing, in my opinion, he is young enough to develop, he can pass the ball! Plus he's proven in the Premier League

I'd rather have centre midfield sorted than strikers. We have Rooney, Rossi, Saha, and Solsjkaer, and Smith (if fergie plays him up front). We would need an adequate replacement for Ruud.

Defoe might not be a bad signing, but i would prefer Torres! That would be up front sorted for 10 years.

sofireland wrote:
    Defoe might not be a bad signing, but i would prefer Torres! That would be up front sorted for 10 years.

I agree, and I havent heard many rumuors of this which is surprising. Fergie was always a fan, and with Spurs after buying Berbatov, they may be interested in doing business. I'm hopeful should we go for him we could get him from the money Ruud brings in alone. Carrick would be okay, but the dream signing of Gattuso for me looks dead in the water.

And so the new season begins :)

Orlando Pirates about to take on United.

Foster

Bardsley Brown Oshea Evra

Richardson Fletcher Scholes Giggs

Ole Rossi

Bench:
    Evans, Simpson, Jones, Eagles, Gibson, Miller, Dong

I'm happy to see this, looks like Jones is going to replace Scholes at half time, but it means that he will be allowed to play in his attacking midfielder role which he should be.
    O'Shea given his chance at CB
    Gibson might even get a chance [a player for all Irish people to watch for the future]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    And so the new season begins :)

Orlando Pirates about to take on United.

Foster

Bardsley Brown Oshea Evra

Richardson Fletcher Scholes Giggs

Ole Rossi

Bench:
    Evans, Simpson, Jones, Eagles, Gibson, Miller, Dong

I'm happy to see this, looks like Jones is going to replace Scholes at half time, but it means that he will be allowed to play in his attacking midfielder role which he should be.
    O'Shea given his chance at CB
    Gibson might even get a chance [a player for all Irish people to watch for the future]

Good to see scholes and ole in there,hopefully their health problems are behind them. I hope miller does well when/if he gets on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

while im disappointed that ruud is going, its not exactly a shock, its been brewing since february
    his goals will be hard to replace, but im more than confident in rooney, saha and rossi and im not too sure if we will sign another striker,and remember smudger will bang in 10+ if he gets a good run in the team. with the extra 10-12 million, that should be put into 2 world class midfielders. gatusso has no european football next year and the 15 point handicap will lessen their chances for the following year, so he would be an option. i dont know what to make of the viera story, prob rubbish. carrick deal expected to be sealed this week, id rather a bigger name than that but ill give him a chance.

Oh yes, beautiful play from United already :)

40 yard pass from Scholes to Rossi, with a lovely touch to Giggs, then a simple pass to Ole, and then hammered home :)

Rossi is creating chance after chance, looking fantastic. Already created 3 really good goal scoring chances already.

• Advertisement

Rossi will relish the chance of more First Team Action this season.

Whats the opinion on Miller? Now he's done a spell at leeds, has he done enough to get ahead of Fletcher and be a squad player.

Gattuso looks unlikely as he's stated he's staying put. Viera, i wouldn't say so, he turned us down before. I'd settle for Carrick plus one more decent midfielder.

Go on Ole, Legend! I'd love to see him score at OT again, and soon! Remember he's been out for 2 yrs, if he gets a good preseason under him, he will be very valuable to us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The way sir alex ferguson was talkin about liam miller it sounds like he's looking to sell him. On MUTV he said a couple of clubs are interested and that he'll see where it goes from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

4-0

Great game

I imagine Miller will be on his way, with Reading, Sunderland and Crystal Palace all interested. Pity, I'd have loved him to have come on but it wasnt to be. Hopefully Jones will get a few more chances this yearm, seems decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Trilla wrote:
    I imagine Miller will be on his way, with Reading, Sunderland and Crystal Palace all interested. Pity, I'd have loved him to have come on but it wasnt to be. Hopefully Jones will get a few more chances this yearm, seems decent enough.

DOnt believe he got his fair chance at OT. While I would love to see him stay on for another year and try make it, for his own good he needs to move.

I dont think Miller got a fair chance either, another bad move by ferguson there i think. I still think he could do a job for UTD, but he would need to get a good run in the side. I heard Ferguson was asked about the Juventus situation and he said that they were (manutd) were lookin at it with some interest and that they were looking to see who is available? where they for sale or free transfers. It looks like he is looking at signing Cannavaro which i wouldn't say no to, but with Ferdinand, Brown, O Shea, Vidic, Neville, Evera and Heinze, i really dont see the point.

I liked to see maybe Buffon and maybe Nedved for the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i think this would be the best possible team that united could get. i dont really think that carrick would be the best option for united. with the money from the mikel deal i think we should go for reo-coker and the italian players would be at cut prices so they would be good signings.
    VDS
    zambrotta--ferdinand--canavaro--heinze

ronaldo--gattuso--reo coker--giggs

rooney--torres

i know im living in dreamland but we can all hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im sorry im gona put my reputation on the line here. A world class Italian defender like Cannavaro would imo be ashamed to play in England.

BFassassin wrote:
    i
    VDS
    zambrotta--ferdinand--canavaro--heinze

ronaldo--gattuso--reo coker--giggs

rooney--torres

yeah dreamland alright but I got to say the Reo Coker situation would be a good and realistic signing. Gattuso wont go to Utd, Cannavaro is Real bound and Zambrotta, I doubt it! We have good CB Vidic,Brown, Heinze and to a lesser extent Pique, Silvestre and O'Shea. Not really a problem.

As for Torres, Im not so sure, but Lou Macari who still has strong links at club reckons he's one Fergie is after and will splash the cash should Ruud bring in 70% + of the transfer fee.

• Advertisement

im gona put my reputation

ha ha! :D(now I hope I dont get banned for that!)

i got to agree Cannavaro wouldnt step foot in the place. Real Madrid player for sure.

Advertisement