Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liam Miller told he is free to leave.

from sporting life
    Liam Miller will be allowed to leave Manchester United once the Red Devils receive a suitable offer.

Big things were expected of Miller when he moved south from Celtic in the summer of 2004, having signed a pre-contract agreement six months earlier.

However, virtually from the moment he set foot in Old Trafford, the Republic of Ireland midfielder appeared overawed by his surroundings.

In two years at United, Miller has managed just 22 first-team appearances and despite the huge number of senior players missing, he was still only a substitute in the opening game of the Red Devils' current tour of South Africa on Saturday.

The 25-year-old spent the latter half of last season on loan at Leeds, as the Yorkshire outfit made the Championship play-off final.

Leeds' failure to overcome Watford at the Millennium Stadium scuppered any chance of Miller making a permanent move to Elland Road.

But Sir Alex Ferguson has accepted it would be better for all parties if Miller did move on and hopes a deal can be sorted out prior to the August transfer deadline.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Its another day of papers filling the back pages with transfer stories and one in particular will not go away. I would love to Fernando Torres come and join Manu this season, what a signing that would be and a big lift for everyone in the club im sure. I've acceppted that RVN would leave before the start of the season an as much as i hate to see him go, i think his time is up. I would argue that he has being Manuts greatest striker off all time. I've seeing a dew people post up there team for the forth coming season, so here is mine.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EVDS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Buffon)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>Brown>>>Ferdinand>>>>Cannavaro>>>>>Heinze

>>>Joaquin>>Scholes>>>>>>Diarra>>>>>>>>Ronlado
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(vieria)>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rooney>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Torres>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We Can all Dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Trilla wrote:
    ha ha! :D(now I hope I dont get banned for that!)

i got to agree Cannavaro wouldnt step foot in the place. Real Madrid player for sure.

Reported...

What I meant was if Im proven wrong I will take the hounding I will get. There seems to be this arrogance about how good the league/clubs is/are. Particularly with United. We are not the most attractive of propositions right now. Ruud gone, Ronaldo unhappy, rumours about Heinze and a general air of uncertainty around the club since the Glazers took over. And of course the prospect of chasing Chelsea again.

If Cannavaro did decide to move to England, Chelsea would make a move for him and he would pick Chelsea, why? Money and medals. Were dreaming if we think the romance of Old Trafford is enough to attract world class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I know there is nothing as such to stop them signing everyone, but surely Mourinho would stop at the 24/25 superstar squad mark? Which he has already. There is no room for them all. If some go to England, they wont all be goin to Chelsea!

But very few will go to England, unless your bible is the News Of The World, where Toni, Cannavaro and Guti are all Old Trafford bound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie won't buy Cannavaro, no point. We are sorted in central defense. Rio, Vidic, Brown, Heinze (if required), Slyvestre, O'Shea, then the youth of Pique.

RE Gattuso: I don't know if we can get him away from Milan, but if he does leave Milan, I think we'd have the best chance of signing him.

Torres will only happen after the Ruud deal if it is going to happen, so we'll have to see.

Carrick is gona happen eventually, probably once he gets back from holidays.

---

Why wouldn't Italian players move to England?

Let's explain this for a second, they are on massive wages at Juve and Milan, so much so that Arsenal say they can't afford anyone.

The clubs in the World who can afford those wages are...

Chelsea
    United
    Real
    Barca

Then maybe

Liverpool
    Newcastle
    Valencia

So they can't all be signed by Barca and Real, so England will get a few.

Also, Chelsea are being linked to defenders because Gallas wants to leave, they are unlikely to buy anyone else but defenders, a left back and a center back.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Fergie won't buy Cannavaro, no point. We are sorted in central defense. Rio, Vidic, Brown, Heinze (if required), Slyvestre, O'Shea, then the youth of Pique.

I agree, but Fergie is quoted as saying Cannavaro is an exceptional player. I cant see him going to OT either way though
    PHB wrote:
    RE Gattuso: I don't know if we can get him away from Milan, but if he does leave Milan, I think we'd have the best chance of signing him.

I hope you're right, but why are you so confident? The links with former assistant Walter Smith surely isn't enough
    PHB wrote:
    Also, Chelsea are being linked to defenders because Gallas wants to leave, they are unlikely to buy anyone else but defenders, a left back and a center back.

As long as it isn't Cannavro I dont mind. And I wouldnt be surprised if its Del Horno that leaves the club and not Gallas (even though he isn't happy).

I agree, but Fergie is quoted as saying Cannavaro is an exceptional player. I cant see him going to OT either way though

He is also quoted as saying Henry is an excellent player, but I don't expect a bid any time soon :) He will be at Real with Capello.
    The links with former assistant Walter Smith surely isn't enough

That's the basis of it. But Gattuso has said multiple times in the past he'd like to play for United and is fond of the club. His agent this morning came out and said that he is going to talk to Gattuso about his position.
    As long as it isn't Cannavro I dont mind. And I wouldnt be surprised if its Del Horno that leaves the club and not Gallas (even though he isn't happy).

Real will get him. Del Horno could well leave, but Mourinho intends to make Gallas see out his contract at the club.

PHB wrote:

Why wouldn't Italian players move to England?

Im of the opinion that top class Italian players, in particular defenders will not move to England. I was having this conversation last night and we could not think of any top Italian player who at their peak moved to England. By at their peak I mean not approaching/in their 30s.

Dont get me wrong I would love to see these players arrive, I just dont believe they will.

Then where will they go?

Where you pointed out, Italy or Spain. Lets not forget that while they play for top teams, individually only a few will be sought by the bigger teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

via www.rednews.co.uk today
    From NOTW
    Sunday, July 16, 2006

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has sensationally revealed how he plans to raid the Italian transfer market in the wake of the match-fixing scandal.

He insists he and Manchester United chief executive David Gill are working through a list of possible targets, with World Cup winners Fabio Cannavaro and Luca Toni top of the pile.

Former Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira, defender Lillian Thuram and forwards David Trezeguet and Pavel Nedved are all being considered for 12-month loan deals.

Not too sure I like the sound of any of these. Cannavaro, Neved, Thuram and Toni would all be short term options. Vierra didn't look great from what I saw of him last season and I don't rate Trezeguet too highly.

Typical Sunday papers linking everyone and their brother with United without any real substance. Can't see any of these arriving at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

News of the World? Hmm, where's that trash can....

News of the World? Hmm, where's that trash can....

I was reading the Star on Sunday this morning and its amazing the sheer volume of crap in it! Page after page of stories with no proof or facts.

Well, the WC is over after all, nothing else for them to talk about I guess! I won't believe a word of anything until I see a player in a United shirt.

Where you pointed out, Italy or Spain.

So all of them are going to Barca, Real and Inter?
    Cause nobody else can afford their wages.

PHB wrote:
    So all of them are going to Barca, Real and Inter?
    Cause nobody else can afford their wages.

Im talking about top class Italian players. ie players the big clubs in the world are interested in. Looking at the Juve squad I count 3 of these players. Two of which are said to be on there way to Real.

http://home.skysports.com/squadlist.asp?clid=128&cpid=21

Buffon, Cannavaro and Zambrotta.

Yeh they'll all come to england for a season or two, collect the wages and get lost. The only reason they are coming is because they will have to take a drop in wages if they stay. They never have interest in coming to england before, but they have no choice now really, do they? I for one, would'nt want to see David Trezeguet, Zlantan Ibrahimovic at Manutd who are both over rated, they were rubbish in the european cup last season and word cup this year. Thuram and Cannavaro, i dont think we need as we are well covered. Vieria and Emerson are past it i think and i dont think they would give 100% for manu. Lua Toni i think is rubbish and i can't understand how he scored over 30 goals last season?

I said this would happen on Friday evening after the results of the trial in Italy. The papers are having a field day at the moment adding an extra 10 pages of crap to the papers and the internet is full of it two today. Its going be like this until the window closes and I for one can not wait as you get sick of reading all this rubbish. I won’t believe any stories until i see a player in a Manu jersey or being paraded on the TV at old Trafford. Yeh id love to see Torres and its makes me excited if he was to join. Manu still have some useless players in there squad, like Fletcher and O Shea will only ever make if he was to play at left back or centre half and who will never be good enough for Manutd I think.

I think this will be Ferguson last season in charge and I think that Manutd as a club are on a BIG downhill and are going to struggle to catch Chelsea if we don’t sign young quality players who are ready for first team and not in 3/4 years time. I can honestly see the likes of Rooney wanting to leave the club if there is no improvement in the next couple of seasons and I wouldn't blame him either and Ronaldo i think will stay this season but will move on next summer to Spain. If I was in there shoes id honestly being looking to move to a club who are going to sign world class players ever summer to improve and who have a chance of winning there domestic league. I can't see Manu challenging Chelsea and id put my money on the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs all finishing ahead of Manutd this season. I have seeing this coming for the last 5years, if Roy Keane said it after we won the treble in 1999, that we as a club should rest on are laurels and we should be going out to buy the Biggest names after that season, but that didn't happen and it never will at a club like Manu. We are a big club and have the history, but will never attract the so called big names, Ferguson said if before that all the top players want to play for Manutd, but were are they?

Well I'm talking about the players that people will want, not just a select top three:

Buffon
    Cannavaro
    Zambrotta
    Thuram
    Vieira
    Emerson
    Nedved
    Camoranesi
    Ibrahimovic
    Trezeguet

PHB wrote:
    Well I'm talking about the players that people will want, not just a select top three:

Buffon
    Cannavaro
    Zambrotta
    Thuram
    Vieira
    Emerson
    Nedved
    Camoranesi
    Ibrahimovic
    Trezeguet

PHB I clearly stated I was talking about Italian players. Im not saying its fact, I would love to see the Italian players arrive but I just don think it will happen. I hope I am proven wrong.

PHB wrote:

Buffon ( yes )
    Cannavaro ( yes )
    Zambrotta ( yes)
    Thuram ( NO )
    Vieira ( No )
    Emerson ( NO )
    Nedved ( Maybe )
    Camoranesi ( BIG NO )
    Ibrahimovic ( NO THKS )
    Trezeguet ( NO THKS )

The ones i would like to see and ones i deffo dont want.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Well I'm talking about the players that people will want.

From that list I could only see Vieira going to United, and I;m sure if thats what we're lookin for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Im sorry im gona put my reputation on the line here. A world class Italian defender like Cannavaro would imo be ashamed to play in England.

I actually agree with that...

I see the mind games have already started if that is what it is. Joes Mourinho believes that Christiano Ronaldo has to leave Manu if is to be come a champion he is to full his potential etc etc. I wonder when fergie will respond to his comments :rolleyes: should be fun....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Yesterdays papers said we were in for Vieira but the sun seem to think this morning that Inter have beat us to it cos we were dithering !

Not sure hes the answer at 30? Gattuso a much better bet at 28, would get a solid 5 years from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I see the mind games have already started if that is what it is. Joes Mourinho believes that Christiano Ronaldo has to leave Manu if is to be come a champion he is to full his potential etc etc. I wonder when fergie will respond to his comments :rolleyes: should be fun....

Not sure where you got that info from but its wrong

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has urged compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo to "keep quiet" and remain with Manchester United.

The Portuguese winger has been strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid, having made himself extremely unpopular with England fans by appearing to get involved in the incident which led to club-mate Wayne Rooney being sent off in the World Cup quarter-final.

Blues boss Mourinho, who shares the same agent as Ronaldo in Jorge Mendes, believes the 21-year-old should stay in Manchester and prove his worth.

Speaking at a ceremony where he was awarded the gold medal of his hometown Setubal, he said: "If he stays in England, I think he can turn things around. I think football players should play a lot and talk very little. He should keep quiet and do his job."

Mourinho also again reiterated his desire to one day coach his national team.

"I said it before, I want it. When I do - and when Portugal does too - I hope we can arrange it," Mourinho said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

ManYoo’s dream strategy of deploying an on-loan Patrick Vieira as a midfield enforcer alongside Michael Carrick has hit a significant snag: the Frenchman is reportedly set to join Inter Milan.

According to The Sun, while Fergie has been dithering with the Old Trafford board, Inter have swung into action’ and offered Juve £10m for Vieira.

The Daily Mirror, on the other hand, believes that the capture of the former Arsenal captain is still a possibility and reckons that an £8m bid from Old Trafford is imminent.

Either way, the nature of ManYoo's summer plans are slowly emerging after weeks of dithering. Both Michael Carrick and Tomasz Kuszczak are likely to complete their moves to Old Trafford this week, while Sir Alex wants to replace the Real Madrid-bound Ruud van Nistelrooy with Fernando Torres.

Talks with Torres' representatives have reportedly already began and, although Sir Alex has noted the availability of Juventus duo David Trezeguet and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the Scot has made the signing of the young striker his number one priority.

The prospect of Cristiano Ronaldo fulfilling his ManYoo contract have also improved, partly due to 'heart-to-heart' talks with his mother, and partly because Real Madrid are believed to favour both Franck Ribery and Chelski's Arjen Robben.

linky

The Torres rumours would seem to be getting stronger which is a good thing. I'd love to see him at united. I really hope Viera goes to Inter. I don't want him at united. I don't think he's the player he used to be and even then I always thought he was overrated. He's not the battling midfielder we need.

Still no other news on other midfielders. It's starting to look as though we'll begin the season with Carrick and scholes in the middle of the park.

Perhaps the Duff to Spurs thing could be hijacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

United RANT don't appear to be very optimistic:

"United are getting increasingly desperate in their search for reinforcements - pushing the club towards targets not previously considered good enough. That was the information revealed recently by Didier Zokora who's agent had previously spoken of United rejecting the player due to 'not being good enough.' Yet the player revealed that the Reds had indeed made a last ditch bid for the Ivory Coast international before he chose to join Spurs. These are desperate times and United are becoming increasingly worried that their transfer strategy - if they ever had one - has been blown to pieces.

Somewhat infamously the club went into the summer promising to conclude all their transfer business prior to the World Cup. It was a prediction that was both naive and misleading - helping to stimulate season tickets sales but without the follow through. Sir Alex Ferguson has now admitted that he "knew nothing would happen until after the World Cup." In the meantime United sat back and watched while each of their principal rivals recruited heavily. Worse still, a number of the club's transfer targets had excellent tournaments in Germany - thus increasing their probably asking prices.

Yet, as Red Issue reported last week United has apparently "scoured Europe submitting low bids" for midfielders. It's a tactic that reveals two things: 1) United has no strategy in place for rebuilding and 2) the club are so desperately short of cash that fans can forget about signing some of household names they crave. That Sir Alex spoke yesterday of recruiting "free transfers" was agonizingly telling.

Two less inspiring names are sure to join in the coming week. Michael Carrick's £14m transfer from Spurs will be completed with only i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed on the £50,000 a week contract. Where he'll play is anybody's guess with United still monitoring a plethora of real defensive midfielders and Paul Scholes returning to action. Stick him at left-back Fergie. No scratch that - you might actually do it!

The other player on the move is West Brom's Thomas Kuscak - the Polish international goalkeeper who performed so admirably in the Premiership last season. It's a very strange decision to spend £4m on a player who will play second fiddle to Edwin van der Sar while having two perfectly good 'keepers in Tim Howard and Ben Foster already on United's books. A move that was predicted by RANT back in March!

Meanwhile other targets - Riquelme, Mascherano, Torres, Diarra - remain beyond United's reach for the moment with the world of football waiting for Real Madrid to conclude their business for the summer. Friday's verdict in the Italian match-fixing trial has clarified the situation a little. With Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina all relegated - the Turin club effectively by two divisions - a number of players will be available. Whether any are likely to be within United's reach in somewhat in doubt however.

In fact it is likely that Milan, who escaped relegation, as well as Madrid who will clean up from Juventus' misfortune. Buffon, Camoranesi and Zambrotta seem likely to join Milan, with Cannavaro and Emerson going to Madrid. Thuram may head to England but probably to Arsenal, while Vieira - despite press reports liking him to Old Trafford - will probably join Fiorentina's Toni and Ibrahimovich at Internazionale. The fate of David Trezeguet is up in the air, with Liverpool reportedly interested in bidding. None, it would seem, will be heading to United any time soon.

The situation remains deeply worrying because of the large number of departures. The high profile ones - van Nistelrooy and (almost certainly) Ronaldo - are joined by Fortune, Miller, Ebanks-Blake and seven other reserve team players. It leaves United with one of the thinnest squads in the Premiership. Indeed United, despite having strength in depth at the back - if a little unbalanced with three left backs and just Gary Neville on the right - are now seriously weakened in midfield and attack. Scholes, Fletcher, Park, Giggs, Carrick, Richardson, Smith and probably O'Shea will compete for four spots in midfield. Up front Saha and Rooney will remain unchallenged with Rossi likely to go on loan and Solskjaer in the winter of his career. Smith may be back in September but it's more than a year since he played up front.

In the worst case scenario United will have a first XI capable of making the top three but a second XI not much better than relegation material....

In the background United's board is searching for more than £500m is securitized debt to pay off the hedge fund loans that the Glazers secured to acquired the club last summer. The punishing interest rates of around 20% per annum are racking up new debts of £60m a year if they are not refinanced. Arsenal recently refinanced their loan, securing a £260m advancement against future season ticket sales to pay for their new stadium at Ashbuton Grove in North London. United's problem is that they are asking for twice as much with only 15,000 seats extra to sell. In reality season ticket sales are unlikely to be enough - with a sale and leaseback of Old Trafford the only realistic outcome if the Glazers are to secure additional funding.

The problem in the longer term is that £500m of debt is £500m of debt whichever way you look at it. It's £500m that would could have been spent on players over the term of the loan. In fact with a 25 year loan United will pay more than £950m in repayments at the 5.8% interest rate that Arsenal has secured. Do the maths yourself - £950m / 25 years = £37m a season that United will not spend on players.

And you thought this summer was crap!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

On the face of it that's quite a depressing read from a united fans point of view. £37 million a season sounds a lot to finance the debt ,but how does it compare to shareholder dividends United paid when they were a PLC?

One thing for sure United need to continue to be successfull to be able to afford to finance the deal and the best way of ensuring that is by investing in players, I,m pretty sure that Glazers realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I wonder did Fergie pay over the odds for any other players who's manager was a former UTD player who Fergie liked. Its like he says here Robbo, heres 4 million for you, hope it helps you get up. I'd say in 10 or so years after Fergie is gone, his reputation will be very badly tainted with bungs etc. Whens the last time they payed the right price for a player or sold a player for the right price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Jesus ff'in Christ those debt figures Glazier had saddled the club with are shocking. Makes you wonder how someone is allowed to get away with it. Very very depressing reading as a Man U supporter.

Just the usual doom-mongering from redissue, one of the most pessimistic sites around in terms of their views of the club currently.

They are typified by their ability to dismiss any good news which appears in the press as bull****, but any bad news which appears in the press as gospel.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens to United this summer, but things appear to have started moving, with the signings of Carrick appearing imminent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Torres' agent says he wants to stay in madrid

Clicky

The whole thing about the repayments could have gone to buying players is utterly crap. If the galziers had have had the money to buy the club outright there would be no money for transfers. Similary if the club had have stayed a PLC we're be in a similar situation. The club isn't in debt. The Glaziers are.

jobonar wrote:
    Torres' agent says he wants to stay in madrid
    "Neither us, nor the club, has received an offer from Manchester United, or any other clubs for that matter."

gotta take all that with a pinch of salt. Just turned on Skysports News, tehy say his agent said that several offers for the player, but none from Manchester United. So he's getting misquoted somewhere. I think he'll be overpriced if we get him anyway, then again very dew aren't.

Also, Ruud (or his agent) has come out and said that he has chosen Real over AC and Bayern Munich as his next club. Best of luck to him and thanks for d memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

PHB wrote:
    We'll just have to wait and see ...

Ah, there's that phrase again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

..and what more can Man utd fans do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

jobonar wrote:
    i wonder if fergie will make a bid for Viera now Juve are relegated and Milan stayed up... I hope not!!
    I saw earlier on www.teamtalk.com that he was the subject of an £8m bid from United. Obviously I don't know how credible the source is, but he would be a good option after a rejuvenation at the World Cup. On the other hand, he is Patrick Vieira so I don't know how well he would be received at the club if he were to sign.

besty wrote:
    I saw earlier on www.teamtalk.com that he was the subject of an £8m bid from United. Obviously I don't know how credible the source is, but he would be a good option after a rejuvenation at the World Cup. On the other hand, he is Patrick Vieira so I don't know how well he would be received at the club if he were to sign.
    £8 million is the price that seems to be be going around alright. Although the Carrick deal looks more likely to happen now, would he go for both? Sky are reporting today that Scholes' position is "safe" according to Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I can't really see paddy wanting to move to United but money talks and if they offer him the best deal he might. Fergie may try to sign again as a stop gap. This time last year Keane and Ruud would have been the major obstacles to such a move , with both of them gone/going the path would be smother now.

That said I'm not sure he would be the answer to Uniteds midfield, he was far from impressive in his last season at Arsenal. He is also getting on and does not fit the age profile of the team fergie is building, personally I would not want him because of the history between him and united.

I'm a bit suprised that Duff looks to be signing for Spurs in the next few days if the reports are true. I said this already and i'll say it again, spurs will finish ahead of Manu unless we get are act together.I can't believe Manutd have not steped in and made a offer. Chelsea gave Manutd a reported £12million, why did you Manu not ask if Duff was available and just done a straight swap would have sense to me as we need a new left sided player and Duff was chelsea's best player in the 2004/2005 season. I think the Vieria story may have some truth about, i supose it would'nt be the worse signing, im jsut afraid his heart wont be in and questions will always be asked when he has a bad game.

Fernando Torres story wont seem to go away, i think he would be a fantastic signing and to see him and rooney play up front would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I would really hate to see Viera at Utd, hes a gooner, who wants there seconds.

We should have gone after Duff but I bet we would have had to pay substantially more for him than spurs.

Really instead of waiting for the italian clubs to start flogging we should go chase down Mascherona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Carrick will be a good signing, and he could be moulded into a DM, look at Keane when he joined, he was box to box, just like Carrick, plus Carrick is a pretty good passer of the ball.

Viera, third time of asking could be a united player, we could do worse, but we could do so much better.

Really instead of waiting for the italian clubs to start flogging we should go chase down Mascherona.

Do you mean javier Mascherano? yeah Id love to see him at United. But I tell you here now, The most signings at United will be that baggie goalkeeper, one player relegated from serie A(could well be Vieira) and Micheal Carrick. I doubt Torres will go to us, so maybe cover up front.

so That makes 3 to 4 siginings. I dunno what the transfer kitty is, but with Carrick coming for 12 - 18 million, and the keeper for possibly 2.5 - 4 million...

I doubt we have another 20-30m left over for 2 decent signings
    sofireland wrote:
    Viera, third time of asking could be a united player, we could do worse, but we could do so much better.

I agree, I never really liked him, but he did have an ok world cup...and might see United as his last chance at the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Chelsea would not let Duff go to Manu, simple as.

To all those who would have liked to have seen C.Ronaldo move on....

Lets say in a pretty unrealistic world that Chelsea offered Duff for C.Ronaldo

would you accept it? or would you want +cash in the deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm a bit suprised that Duff looks to be signing for Spurs in the next few days if the reports are true. I said this already and i'll say it again, spurs will finish ahead of Manu unless we get are act together.I can't believe Manutd have not steped in and made a offer. Chelsea gave Manutd a reported £12million, why did you Manu not ask if Duff was available and just done a straight swap would have sense to me as we need a new left sided player and Duff was chelsea's best player in the 2004/2005 season.

Duff is allowed to go to Spurs because Chelsea don't see them as rivals, there's no way Chelsea would have sold Duff to United. United should have matched Chelsea's bid for Duff when he moved from Blackburn, they might have had a chance to get him then.

Trilla wrote:

That is unrealistic :)

Personally I'd prefer to hve ronaldo, but only just. He has the talent to become one of the worlds best. He's younger and if he sorted out the diving and worked on his end product then I think he'd be worth his weight in gold. The duffer has shown what he's made of and he is a wolrd class player. However I don't think he has the same potential as Ronaldo. Seen as we're in this unrealistic world....I'd like the both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Trilla wrote:

I'd take that in a flash. A lot more end product from Duffer.

Looks like Fergie's procrastination in the transfer market was all down to Juve

linky
    BBC Sports wrote:
    Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United are considering a transfer raid on Juventus following the Italian club's relegation from Serie A.
    The Turin side were demoted as a result of their part in Italy's match-fixing scandal, and it seems certain that many of their top players will leave.

"We held things back until we knew what the Juve situation was," said Ferguson.

"Now we know where we're going in terms of making inquiries and maybe definite offers for one or two players."

Ferguson said Gianluigi Buffon, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro, Lilian Thuram, Emerson and Patrick Vieira were "the ones that people will be focusing on", adding that one or two "could maybe have free transfers if they were going outside of Italy".

and Ruud set for the switch
    Ruud van Nistelrooy is expected to complete his move to Real Madrid after ManYoo dramatically reduced their original £16m valuation of the striker.

After protracted negotiations on Monday between ManYoo chief executive David Gill and Pedrag Mijatovic, his Madrid counterpart, the two clubs are believed to have agreed on a fee of around £11m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

£11 million is not enough for a player of ruuds calibre. the original evaluation of £16 mil is more like it.
    hopefully we will start to see some new faces through the door soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement