Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie has said they have recievd no offers for Ruud yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

BFassassin wrote:
    £11 million is not enough for a player of ruuds calibre. the original evaluation of £16 mil is more like it.
    hopefully we will start to see some new faces through the door soon
    The point though is no longer about how much he is worth. If he will not play again for United then it is about how much it would cost Man U to have him on the bench against how much they would save letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

This is rapidly becoming the worst summer ever for transfers at United, and that's saying something. Carrick is not worth anything like £14 million, van Nistelrooy could be sold off at a cut price and they're waiting to see if Viera will deign to play at Old Trafford rather than in Serie B? Outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

so in other words Carrick could cost Ruuds fee +4/5m sterling? apols but thats a f**kin joke, whatever angle or slant you take on it. How much has Fergie left now to strengthen squad? Got to be less than £15m. We're relying now on Vieira to sign for us...because or transfer kitty isn't the strongest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think Ruud is worth more than the 11 million figure thats being reported and so does fergie:link

Asside from what people think about Viera. At this stage he would be a useful addition to the team. Just as long as he doesnt wear no 16.
    Carrick isnt worth tottenham's valuation. He's worth about 10m and no more. If we could get Viera for 2 good seasons for about 6-8 million that would be good business but it goes against fergies ideal of building a new young team.

Fergie will have to move quickly if he wants any new addition to get a proper pre-season with the club.

I'm really at a loss thinking about who United could bring in. I think Gattuso is a little overated and a bit of a headless chicken, Mascherano is unlikely to move to United and is not garaunteed to settle if he did.

In my opinion its time United give Rossi and Jones a chance. Darren Fletcher and Kieran Richardson must be kept away from the first team as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

more bad news:( . ac milan are not letting any more top players go and west brom have knocked back another offer for kusczak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Surely Fergie has the 25mil that he's been promised every year. I know that was media speculation at the time but then the Glaziers said he'd have anything he deemed necessary. So worst case he still has 25mil + Ruuds fee, say 11mil - carrick of 14mil. That still leaves 22mil which should be enough for a quality holding midfielder. I really hope that he can capture Torres too. Then we'de be in with a chance of catching Chelski.

Hopefull signings;

Torres
    Gattuso
    Carrick (but for his true worth....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

sprinkles wrote:
    Surely Fergie has the 25mil that he's been promised every year. I know that was media speculation at the time but then the Glaziers said he'd have anything he deemed necessary. So worst case he still has 25mil + Ruuds fee, say 11mil - carrick of 14mil. That still leaves 22mil which should be enough for a quality holding midfielder. I really hope that he can capture Torres too. Then we'de be in with a chance of catching Chelski.

Hopefull signings;

Torres
    Gattuso
    Carrick (but for his true worth....)

I reckon Ruud will go for more that 11 mil, plus the 6mil this year and 6mil next year for Obi Mikel.

Thats the alleged 25 mil kitty + 13 for Ruud + 12 for Obi Mikel = 50mil!
    We should easily be able to afford Carrick (yuck) and Torres (please!!)

but even saying that - it is looking like the Glazers are really beginning to have an effect on UTD in the transfer market - it is a long time since UTD were not able to at least compete with th other big clubs in Europe. There should be nothing stopping Fergie from getting Mascherano (23 to Viera's 31?) if he wants him - but it looks like there is no way that is going to happen.

We have to get Torres, if only to banish the clouds gathering ovet Old Trafford this summer.

There should be nothing stopping Fergie from getting Mascherano

Chelsea. He is effectivly owned by them
    We have to get Torres, if only to banish the clouds gathering ovet Old Trafford this summer.

Who cares? Torres won't get any goals without a midfield backing him up.
    If we only sign Carrick we need him to link up with Scholes, and for Scholes to recover perfectly from his injury, and then for neither of them to get injured all season.

We need a second midfielder brought in along with Carrick.
    Vieira would be ok, but not preferable. I'd like somebody with a little bit of creativity rather than just drive.

Carrick - Scholes - Jones - ??

Then a replacement for Ruud is absolutely necessary, but I don't think it is. I'd rather we focused on the midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

For me, Torres is a must, whatever it costs. Now that Atletico Madrid have confirmed they will listen to offers for him, that's basically an invitation to make a bid. We must get in there soon and sign the player.

Midfield is still the main problem, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who deems Vieira and Carrick to be the wrong options. I would prefer Carrick to Vieira, however, as I don't think Patrick's heart would be in it. He'd only be at United for the wages. Carrick is a young man and has a bright future ahead of him if Fergie brings him up in the right way. Carrick may not be as bad as everyone thinks.

I agree that the youngsters ought to be given a chance. I also believe we lack strength in depth on the wings and should probably sign a player there. So, in summary, we must sign:

Torres
    A defensive midfielder
    A winger
    Maybe a goalkeeper

I would prefer Carrick to Vieira, however, as I don't think Patrick's heart would be in it. He'd only be at United for the wages.

Does nobody remember that Vieira was close to signing for United a couple of times? Fergie wanted him and Vieira stayed at Arsenal out of loyalty. Now that Ruud and Keane are gone, there is no bulwark whatsoever, and I'd imagine he'd be very happy in a United shirt.
    Whether I'd be happy to see him in one is a different question. If it's a free as Fergie seems to think it may be, sure I'd be happy.

The fact that Fergie is trying to get some of the Italians on the free suggests that he does intend to buy Carrick and Torres, as that 45 million or so would take up the entire budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

and I'd imagine he'd be very happy in a United shirt.

;)

Another PHB classic

Viera is over rated. He's a midfield "hardman" who falls over at the slightest glance. He's not what united need. If they sign him he would epitomise everything that has gone wrong with united in the last 2 seasons....ie. travelling in the wrong direction.

Torres, I think we can all agree would be an amazing signing but I do admit that the midfield must be a priority, but not at the cost of seeing Torres move elsewhere.

PHB, you keep mooting Jones as being one of the main players in the midfield this season but can ou honestly see it happening? I mean his 1st team involvement so far has been limited, and I know he was out on loan but still, this would be a completely different level than what he's used to playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

At this point, Ronaldo is the only player I'm happy with in United's midfield, and maybe Giggs if he can promise me a good season. I do think Torres is a necessary signing, if we don't buy another top striker, we are relying far too much on Rossi to come good this season. Also, an attacking trio of Rooney, Ronaldo and Torres could be the focal point of the United team for years to come. So Torres (or someone) is a must, regardless of the midfield situation.

I would like to sign a winger, but with Giggs, Ronaldo and Park it shouldn't be a priority - and tbh it makes sense to leave it this year. Maybe worry about it during the January transfer window. Carrick doesn't convince me at all, but it seems to be a done deal, so I can accept that. The most important thing now is to sign a central midfield partner for him. I don't know what happened to Diarra, and I can't really think of anyone else. So I'm worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Darren Fletcher and Kieran Richardson must be kept away from the first team as much as possible.

Agreed, to see Fletcher in a starting line-up next season will be suicide, the man is a headless chicken, it's like playing with ten men when he starts. Richardson can produce the goods from time to time, not first team material yet but a good sub to have.

I think we have enough options up front between Ole, Smith, Saha, Rooney, Rossi but the midfield really is a massive worry at the moment. Still no replacement for Keano and Scholes has been very quiet the last few seasons, sign two top midfielders (carricks not one of them) and we'll have a good season

• Advertisement

At this point, Ronaldo is the only player I'm happy with in United's midfield.
    I'm not really happy with the little sh*t at the minute but in terms of football ability he is good enough. He needs to get his attitude sorted this year. it's a big season for him.
    I do think Torres is a necessary signing,.
    United's style of play was rejuvenated last year when Saha got picked regularly. No team in the league beat Arsenal the way we did at old trafford last year. I remember watching that game thinking that; thats the way United should be playing football so I wouldnt mind if they went with Saha and Rooney up top with Rossi from the bench. I'm obviously an admirer of Torres but i'd rather see 2 midfielders signed before we go for him.
    Carrick doesn't convince me at all, but it seems to be a done deal, so I can accept that. The most important thing now is to sign a central midfield partner for him. I don't know what happened to Diarra, and I can't really think of anyone else. So I'm worried.

Carrick doesnt convince me either but with the right coaching and direction he could step up a level and be a decent player for us. I think fergie has him as a target because he plays in the same formation with spurs that United use. If we buy Carrick we still need to buy a playr with some grit and determination in the centre of the park.

Carrick doesn't convince me at all, but it seems to be a done deal, so I can accept that.
    And we all know that a "done deal" where United are concerned means he's about to sign for Barcelona or Chelsea... ;)

Just a thought, does anyone think a formation change would be a good move for United? I know it most likely won't happen, and 4-4-2 is practically ironed into the club at this stage, but I think it should be an option. Given our lack of midfield players, and my own personal penchant for a Barcelona-style 4-3-3, I think playing 3 strikers could be a good idea.

Ronaldo, for one, might be much more suited as a player to a wide striking role, as he wouldn't have to worry so much about final delivery, but could still utilise his pace and ability to beat players, not to mention his shooting. It would also suit Rooney, Torres and Saha. With Giggs, Scholes, Carrick and other squad players being decent central midfield players, they plus another signing could work wonders for the team.

Back 4
    ---Carrick----Scholes/Giggs
    Playmaker
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Torres

Corresponding, basically, to Barcelona's

Back 4
    ---Xavi
    Van Bommel
    Deco
    Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Eto'o

It would require the signing of a playmaker of some sort, and would be a huge change. But maybe a huge change is what United need at this point?

I'm not really happy with the little sh*t at the minute but in terms of football ability he is good enough. He needs to get his attitude sorted this year. it's a big season for him.

I agree, for the most part. Although I am much less harsh on him than most.
    United's style of play was rejuvenated last year when Saha got picked regularly. No team in the league beat Arsenal the way we did at old trafford last year. I remember watching that game thinking that; thats the way United should be playing football so I wouldnt mind if they went with Saha and Rooney up top with Rossi from the bench. I'm obviously an admirer of Torres but i'd rather see 2 midfielders signed before we go for him.

I am a fan of Saha too. But I am concerned about Rossi's ability more than anything else. I would be happy enough with a Rooney/Saha strike force starting, but 2 good strikers is not enough if you want to challenge for anything. And if we're going to buy another striker, it may as well be a good one. Midfield is more important atm, yes, but I don't think you can ignore problems up front because of that. If another striker is not purchased, I can only assume that Ferguson has confidence in Rossi - and he knows better than I do - but I would still be worried.

Carrick doesnt convince me either but with the right coaching and direction he could step up a level and be a decent player for us. I think fergie has him as a target because he plays in the same formation with spurs that United use. If we buy Carrick we still need to buy a playr with some grit and determination in the centre of the park.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think torres would be a class signing IF united still have some change left after buying him. Viera.... meh, I suppose if it were a free transfer it'd be good simply because he's an experienced midfield player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Only a month left to the start of the season.

Not inconceivable that we'll mis out on Carrick and another midfielder and Ruud's replacement.

Not that I think Carrick is the ideal signing to start off with.

PHB your like Jones a lot. He is still very young and hasn’t Fergie said he’ll be looking to loan out him and Gerard Pique?

Ferige now has stated that offers have come in for Ruud but haven’t met United’s asking price.

West Brom GK deal has hit a snag as Robson is looking for a 2 player swap plus cash deal. He wants one on loan (Foster, Pique, Miller or Dong maybe) and a permanent transfer (one can only think of either Miller/Richardson).

Torres agent has now stated that his club A Madrid will listen to offers for the player, and he might be interested in a move to Manchester. But again this is speculation at its highest.

It looks like the GK from the baggies (cant spell his name!), Carrick and maybe Torres as United’s signings. If we can get them in under 45m and sell Ruud for 15m +, it will be a good summer for United.

Now……….we wait!

Trilla wrote:
    It looks like the GK from the baggies (cant spell his name!), Carrick and maybe Torres as United’s signings. If we can get them in under 45m and sell Ruud for 15m +, it will be a good summer for United.

Now……….we wait!
    You're joking, aren't you? I'd be looking to spend no more than 30-35 million on those three and not selling van Nistelrooy for it to even approach being a good summer. Even then, the midfield issue is still not resolved.

He is still very young and hasn’t Fergie said he’ll be looking to loan out him

No, infact he specifically said the opposite. He was asked was Jones going out on loan, and he said 'no, he'll definately be staying'

Jones played last season away at NEC, the 8th place team in the dutch league. He was their MOM on multiple occasions, scored 8 goals, and is desperatly wanted by NEC for another season. He also came 2nd in the fans player of the year, despite only being there for half a season.
    While the Dutch Premier league isn't EPL standerd, he was one of the best midfielders there in the 2nd half of the season.

Carrick will be joining once he gets back to England. The chips will start to roll now that Italy is beginning to move [as Fergie said yesterday]

blastman wrote:
    You're joking, aren't you? I'd be looking to spend no more than 30-35 million on those three and not selling van Nistelrooy for it to even approach being a good summer. Even then, the midfield issue is still not resolved.

Sorry I was talking Euros there, but even still:-

this keeper could cost 4 - 5m sterling (West Brom are looking for players in the deal, so if United want him they'll have to pay at least that)

Torres could cost 25m +, we need an replacement up front so we're gonna have to pay for it. Ruud is going so gotta get over that one, and at 30 years old 15m wouldbe good business(as long as he doesnt go to Premiership club which he wont)

Carrick will cost at least 12.5m

I make that at least [25 + 12.5 + 4] 41.5 sterling, which is not what I meant anyway! 45euro works out about 31m sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Fergie said Ritchie Jones is going out on loan, not David.

andrewie wrote:
    Fergie said Ritchie Jones is going out on loan, not David.

thanks for that Andrewie, I knew the minute PHB replied that I mixed them up. Apols PHB. I was aware of D.Jones development in Holland but for what its worth do you honestly see him gaining 10+ apps for first team this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

United won their second game of the South African tour. They beat the Kaiser Chiefs 1-0, Dong scored. The much touted David Jones came on for the last 20 minutes and threw himself all over the place getting a yellow card late in the game. Danny Simpson played at right back and had a good game. Evra was all over the place sometimes, he made some good interceptions but made some really bad passes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Manchester United's hopes of signing Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres have been dealt a blow following Inter Milan's £26m bid. (Daily Mirror)

BBC Sports wrote:
    Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed Manchester United have turned down a bid from Real Madrid for Ruud van Nistelrooy.
    Ferguson also revealed that United made an offer for Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick that was rejected.

"There is no agreement with Real and United over Ruud. We have refused their offer," said the United boss.

"We are trying to sign another central midfielder. We have made a bid for Michael Carrick but Tottenham Hotspur turned it down."

Reports suggested that Van Nistelrooy was set to put pen to paper following a medical on Wednesday, but it is believed that Real did not get close enough to United's £15m valuation for the 30-year-old striker.

Ferguson admitted last week that Van Nistelrooy had informed the club that he wanted to end his five-year stay at the club.

Link

So not much good news today. Ruuds bid is rejected, Inter make Torres bid and Carrick bid is rejected. Looks like a bad summer is turning into a nightmare

• Advertisement

Gennaro Gattuso’s agent has dismissed claims that his client could leave Milan for Manchester United this summer.

The Italian international is liked by the Old Trafford outfit who were hoping to take advantage of Milan’s involvement in the Calciopoli saga.

But with the Rossoneri escaping the threat of relegation, the World Cup winner seems set to remain at the San Siro.

"Gennaro is quite happy to stay at Milan,” representative Andrea D'Amico told BBC Sport on Tuesday.

"The club say nobody is leaving, so he will stay and try to get the team as high up the table as possible."

Linky

Someday I'll come into work and there will be good news on one of these websites.....I'm convinced of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

REAL MADRID expect to confirm the signing of Ruud van Nistelrooy within 24 hours, but the deal remained on hold last night as Manchester United held out for a fee in the region of £14 million.

Although a medical examination has been arranged provisionally for the Holland forward in Madrid this afternoon, the clubs remained some way short of agreeing a fee after a tense day of negotiations.

With Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, and his team on a tour to South Africa, where they beat Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 last night, negotiations are being overseen by David Gill, the chief executive. Gill rejected an opening offer of about £10 million and has also turned down a player-exchange deal involving Thomas Gravesen, the Denmark midfield player, but a compromise should be reached sooner rather than later.

Van Nistelrooy’s departure, after the collapse of his relationship with Ferguson, is likely to increase the unrest among United supporters, who discovered yesterday that the club’s debts are about to rise to £660 million as a result of a refinancing deal by the Glazer family that they hope will ease the club’s interest bill.

Ferguson maintains that there is “absolutely no problem” with the club’s finances during a summer in which he has yet to add to his squad, saying that the American owners “have been good”.

Ferguson plans to bid £25 million for Torres, but Enrique Cerezo, the Atlético Madrid president, insisted yesterday that he will not sell the player unless a club offer the £41.5 million that would trigger a release clause.

Victory over Kaizer Chiefs was secured thanks to Dong Fangzhou, the young China forward who is awaiting a work permit to move to United after signing in 2004.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

all of this news is not good. if we are going to make any signings this year they will probably be rushed for players that are not good enough and for over the odds :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

The Muppet wrote:
    Victory over Kaizer Chiefs was secured thanks to Dong Fangzhou, the young China forward who is awaiting a work permit to move to United after signing in 2004.

Link
    Not a great result as there is only 4 of them and its not there chosen profession.;) (sorry somebody had to say it).

I think 14million is a good return for RVN. He obviously wont be replaced for that amount but i reckon thats a decent return.

I reckon Carrick will sign in the next week or so and i hope we can then bring in another midfielder. Either Viera or Gattuso. I doubt Gattuso will leave Milan and i think with the right wages offered Viera would jump at a move to United. I've always rated Viera. What do other United fans think of the possibility of him signing?

The fee being touted for Diarra is way too much for a player that hasnt played in any of the big leagues and has had about 5-6 good games in the CL. Anyway this one looks dead in the water.

I'm an admirer of Tim Cahill from everton. I reckon we could get him for less than 10 million. Cahill in the league and scholesy in the CL. Perfect squad rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

What do other United fans think of the possibility of him signing?

dont want him at utd. Arsenal rejects are not what we need and he's past his best
    I'm an admirer of Tim Cahill from everton. I reckon we could get him for less than 10 million. Cahill in the league and scholesy in the CL. Perfect squad rotation.

i agree with you on this he is a good player and i'm suprised there hasnt been more interest shown in him by otehr clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

jobonar wrote:
    dont want him at utd. Arsenal rejects are not what we need and he's past his best

i agree with you on this he is a good player and i'm suprised there hasnt been more interest shown in him by otehr clubs!

Hardy an "Arsenal reject", they sold him last summer because they knew they'd never get an offer of that sum again. "Past his best"? I think the WC proved that Vieira is still one of the best midfielders in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hardy an "Arsenal reject", they sold him last summer because they knew they'd never get an offer of that sum again. "Past his best"? I think the WC proved that Vieira is still one of the best midfielders in the world.

yeah and he was sooo good in the CL wasn't he? Past it and we definitely don't need a papier mache hardman who goes down at the first sniff of a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i didnt mean "Arsenal reject" as if he wasnt good enough i meant that they got rid of him cos he was coming to the time when he wouldnt be the force that he was and wanted to cash in on him!

and he is past his best. he had a good world cup in fairness but everyone gets pumped up for the WC so you cant judge him on that i'm judging him on his last 2 seasons.

i've never really liked him, for a CM he goes down very easy for such a big man. we need younger players to come in. viera would only be a stop gap for a few years and its not what utd need

• Advertisement

jobonar wrote:
    i've never really liked him, for a CM he goes down very easy for such a big man. we need younger players to come in. viera would only be a stop gap for a few years and its not what utd need

I hear ya jobonar, but in all fairness who else is there in this modern market? Gattuso wont come, and I'm now struggling to think of anyone that would come to United, that United could afford and that a club would sell off? I think Vieira in the circumstances is a good deal for United. If we get 14m sterling for Ruud, sign both Carrick and Vieira for under 18m - 20m (not sure ibout this free tranfer business wit the Italian clubs) and get Torres for about 20m...I'd be very happy with that.

Not 100% sure on this keeper from West Brom, I know he played a stormer coming on as a sub again Man Utd at OT last year, but did anyone see that goal he let in playing for Poland where the opposing keeper scored from a kickout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Not a transfer, but according to this:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/19/story268495.html

"Alex Ferguson is ready to turn Alan Smith into a forward once again as he tries to juggle his striking options."

It makes sense to play Smith as a forward in his natural role, something which I 'harped' on about last season. The decision ahas an impact in what Ferguson is likely to need in the transfer market.

By the way, Dong looked sharp against Kaiser Chiefs although I understand he wont be able to play for Man U until he 'becomes European' in December.

Redspider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

redspider wrote:
    Not a transfer, but according to this:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/19/story268495.html

"Alex Ferguson is ready to turn Alan Smith into a forward once again as he tries to juggle his striking options."

It makes sense to play Smith as a forward in his natural role, something which I 'harped' on about last season. The decision ahas an impact in what Ferguson is likely to need in the transfer market.

Redspider

Alan smith is a damned good striker, and if UTD play him there I'm sure he would be like a new signing, you'd almost be sorted upfront then with Rooney, Saha, Smith, Rossi and Ole, very strong front line with a lot of back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Seaneh wrote:
    Alan smith is a damned good striker, and if UTD play him there I'm sure he would be like a new signing, you'd almost be sorted upfront then with Rooney, Saha, Smith, Rossi and Ole, very strong front line with a lot of back up.

Then all you need is a midfeild and a defence

Then all you need is a midfeild and a defence

Our defence is in good shape. Agree with ye on the midfield though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Carrick is overpriced because he is English! its that simple. Good young player, with the right management and coaching could become a big player.

We need a holding type midfielder in there. Personally i'd not like to see viera there even though he has experience.

Glad to hear smithy is being once again considered a forward. That makes our forward line sound a little better, if torres wanted to come though i'd take him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I agree that Carrick is overpriced and the fact he is english does not help, but its also down to the fact that spurs do not want to sell him either, which i can understand. I can see spurs having a very good season this year. I said before i dont want Manu to sign Vieria, but if we could get him on loan for a year that would save us a few million. I think at this stage i would like to see Manu sign anybody. The stories that Duff maybe available should have Manu knocking on chelsea's door with a offer. I think if we signed Torres, Duff, Vieria and Carrick that would make us a lot stronger and would make a few fans happy i think. We dont need to strengthen the defence as we have prob the second best defence in the premiership to chelsea, but without a good midfield what good is that i ask........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Fergie talking up SMiths prospects up front next year would suggest to me that the hunt for a striker is cooling off. Carrick looks dead. I cant see Viera joining United. Too much history there. Im not liking this at all. A month away from the start of the season and the highlight has been nearly signing a Polish GK.

There is still a posibility Vieira will be at OT. Not too many players from the serie A scenario have moved on yet so there is still enough time for transfers. Torres would have cost 25m + sterling and in my opinion would not be worth it considering our money situation. Carrick deal isnt dead as such yet, but tbh I wouldnt be overly upset if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I actually like Carrick, think he would be a good addition. Not my ideal but he has potential and Premiership experience. But seems to be a non runner now.

If Viera is our ownly signing it will be a very dissappointing summer. Its just by chance the Juventus situation has made Viera available which would suggest over the past year maybe two (seen as we have been keeping an eye out for a roy keane replacement) we have come up with one solution - Carrick.

Not good enough for a team looking to catch Chelsea or even Liverpool who have signed well this summer.

I actually like Carrick, think he would be a good addition. Not my ideal but he has potential and Premiership experience. But seems to be a non runner now.

has there been something released about the situation? last I heard was that Fergie stated he made a bid which was rejected (prob a £10-12m test the waters bid). I reckon its still on.

Arsenals interest in him cooled dramatically (prob cas of money matters), makes ya think if he does go to United he'll either be a jeffers/wright or a henry/petit signinig because of Wengers interest!

• Advertisement
Advertisement