Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spurs have already replaced Carrick so it's just a matter of agreeing a fee, which United don't seem to be willing to back down on.

With Zambrotta, Thuram, Emerson, and Cannavaro gone to Spain, and Juve saying they are keeping Del Piero, Buffon and Nedved, the players left from that top group are:

Trez
    Vieira
    Camoranesi

Hopefully we'll make a move for the latter, but the middle one might happen unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is Cambiasso for sale? Doesnt he play for Inter? I hope you're not mixing him up with Mauro Camoranesi who plays for Juve. I dont rate him at all.

I am actually, Camoranesi is the one I was talking about.
    Quality player I think, would love to see him at United.

p.s.

Has anybody heard anything about Gladstone? Brazilian Juve defender, very young, but top top quality already. Was wondering if he is staying at Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:

p.s.

Has anybody heard anything about Gladstone? Brazilian Juve defender, very young, but top top quality already. Was wondering if he is staying at Juve.
    Camoranesi is a decent enough player who had a good worls cup but not exactly what united are looking for. We need a holding Midfielder and possibly a striker, although I really rate Smith as a striker. He's exactly what we need imo, a battling forward who's willing to chase defenders down and put them under pressure. Saha has similar qualities.

Smith scored a cracker, imo, for united, hassling a defender until he won the ball in the box and stuck it away. Can't remember who it was against but it epitomised him as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

sprinkles wrote:
    Camoranesi is a decent enough player who had a good worls cup but not exactly what united are looking for. We need a holding Midfielder and possibly a striker, although I really rate Smith as a striker. He's exactly what we need imo, a battling forward who's willing to chase defenders down and put them under pressure. Saha has similar qualities.

Smith scored a cracker, imo, for united, hassling a defender until he won the ball in the box and stuck it away. Can't remember who it was against but it epitomised him as a player.

It was Fulham (away).

Camaronesi isnt good enough for United. Nowhere near it actually. Did he not spend last year on loan at monaco?

Camronesi is rubbish imo. not the fastest, gives the ball away too much, inconsistant, injury prone, tends to foul alot...I can't see it at all. A fully fit rejuvenated Alan Smith wouldnt be bad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Trilla wrote:
    Camronesi is rubbish imo. not the fastest, gives the ball away too much, inconsistant, injury prone, tends to foul alot...I can't see it at all. A fully fit rejuvenated Alan Smith wouldnt be bad at all

Smith is a great option to have in the squad and will always give 110% glad to see him back fit! Fully agree with what Trilla said about Camronesi, not a player utd should be looking at!

jobonar wrote:
    Smith is a great option to have in the squad and will always give 110% glad to see him back fit! Fully agree with what Trilla said about Camronesi, not a player utd should be looking at!

Why thank you :D ! If anyone saw him in one of the CL games against Arsenal, or the Udinese game last year they'd know what Im on about. Both him and Recoba (inter) are overrated - Camronesi a definite no no in my book. He wouldnt go to United anyway... I think the english, the rain and the steak and kidney pies would put him off anyways!

The Ruud deal is still stalling. This could be a big problem for united in their transfers if they are in fact waiting on the money to come in so they can bid for people. The clock is ticking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

RVN will go to Madrid....you can be sure of that. The best piece of news for ManU this Summer has been the restructuring of the club's debt..should give SAF an extra few quid in the market.

That will leave the following fwds in the squad -

Rooney
    Saha
    Smith (won't be match fit until October at least)
    Rossi (SAF wants to send him on loan for a season)
    Solskjaer (injury prone....backup only)
    Dong (still raw and no permit)

We really do need to acquire another striker. If Torres is not available, I'd like to see a bid being made for Defoe. He's a quality striker and someone who seems not to get on too well with Jol, which might ease his exit. Might get him for €12m tops.

If we get Carrick as well, great. If not, I'd be happy with someone like Kevin Nolan from Bolton. Sign Viera on loan for a season, and we'd have 3 quality central midfielders fighting for 2 spots - Scoles, Viera, and Nolan.

All if's, buts, and maybe's but how about this for a starting lineup in 4 weeks time?

Van der Saar
    Neville
    Heinze
    Rio
    Brown
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Viera
    Scholes
    Rooney
    Defoe

Subs - Vidic, O'Shea, Nolan, Saha, Foster

Madds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

madds wrote:
    Rossi (SAF wants to send him on loan for a season)
    Does he? I don't think so. I think he wants Rossi in and around the first team setup next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I'm sure everyone has heard that Mourinho has said they are prepared to listen to offers for Duff. I think Fergie should make a move and snap him, what a great signing he would be for us as we need cover on that side and giggs is not geting any younger. Id say we could get Duff for around £8million.

I heard on the Grapfine that spurs want Wes Brown as part of the carrick deal, but fergie has told them to forget about it. Dont be suprised to see Vieria in a Manu shirt next week either. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

PHB wrote:

p.s.

Was only on loan from Cruzerio, he is muck, Juve sent him packing at the end of his loan spell, he was cack in the under age teams, didnt get a sniff first team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It was Fulham (away).

Camaronesi isnt good enough for United. Nowhere near it actually. Did he not spend last year on loan at monaco?

No he played almost every game for Juve...

I'm sure everyone has heard that Mourinho has said they are prepared to listen to offers for Duff. I think Fergie should make a move and snap him, what a great signing he would be for us as we need cover on that side and giggs is not geting any younger. Id say we could get Duff for around £8million.

I heard on the Grapfine that spurs want Wes Brown as part of the carrick deal, but fergie has told them to forget about it. Dont be suprised to see Vieria in a Manu shirt next week either. ;)
    Duff would be a good signing. And if he is available for under 10mil then I think SAF sould put in a bid. Not sure what the chances of chelsea selling to united are though.

The wait is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

madds wrote:
    All if's, buts, and maybe's but how about this for a starting lineup in 4 weeks time?

Van der Saar
    Neville
    Heinze
    Rio
    Brown
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Viera
    Scholes
    Rooney
    Defoe

Subs - Vidic, O'Shea, Nolan, Saha, Foster

No way would I start Defoe ahead of Saha. I'm not the biggest fan of Defoe tbh, he's quite limited. If United are going to do anything next season it's going to require them to be pacy and skilful up front, because it certainly doesn't look like we'll be able to control games and grind out results. Rooney, Ronaldo and Saha can provide this outlet, and hopefully the team can play like they did towards the end of last season. Defoe would hinder this, although someone of his quality may well have to do as a backup striker, because atm we have none I would be confident about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

it's going to require them to be pacy and skilful up front, because it certainly doesn't look like we'll be able to control games and grind out results.......... Defoe would hinder this, although someone of his quality may well have to do as a backup striker, because atm we have none I would be confident about.

Are you serious? pace and skill is exactly what defoe offers. He starts every game imo ahead of Saha, who is way overated. Dont get me wrong hes a very decent player who can score goals but a team of uniteds stature and ambitions should have someone better than him starting. That would be defoe imo. If Saha still played at fulham would we be even compareing the two? That red shirt gets players a lot of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Saha offers much more to a team than Defoe. Defoe is a good fox in the box, but other than that he's quite limited imo (but of course we're looking to replace a good fox in the box...)

I think Saha offers much more to a team than Defoe. Defoe is a good fox in the box, but other than that he's quite limited imo (but of course we're looking to replace a good fox in the box...)

Well...he's a bit more than a fox in the box but he comes in and out of games, consistantly levels aren't the highest. I agree that Saha is more important if we can keep him fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Should have went after Jeffers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

One name that has no being mentioned with Manu is Joey Barton. I hear he is looking to get a caluse in his new contract that if they receive a certain bid he is free to talk of go if he agrees terms. I think he would be a good signing and is probably just as good as Carrick and we probably get for around £5 or £6million. Id be happy with if we signed him or even Scott Parker, but i can't see that happing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Why is everyone talking strikers? We are pretty well set in that position. We need help in the central midfield more than anything. Viera would be a great addition. Imagine him scoring the winner with Arsene looking on from the opponents bench?

One name that has no being mentioned with Manu is Joey Barton. .

I cant see this happening tbh, there would be war in the north west of England if that were to happen!
    Scott Parker, but i can't see that happing.

He's very good, but injury prone. Probably the most injury prone English player apart from Woodgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Woody was ****ing born injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Trilla wrote:
    He's very good, but injury prone. Probably the most injury prone English player apart from Woodgate.
    I wouldn't agree with that at all. He's only had the one serious injury and that was when he was at Chelsea, and even then it was just a simple broken foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=404576&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=&title=Jose+ready+for+Duff+departure

United should put in a decent bid for Duffer today. Spurs only bid GBP5 million which wasnt much. Mourinho said he will let him go for the right money but he admits that he understands Duffs situation so the last thing he wants is an unhappy player. Probably means he wont be overpriced or price wont be hugely inflated if its United that bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Chelsea won't sell any of their good players to Arsenal, Liverpool or Man United. If Tottenham turn their good season into two good seasons and begin to challenge for the title, then Chelsea wouldn't sell a player to them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Duff is leaving Chelsea so he can get regular first team action, which will be guaranteed at Tottenham.

There'll be no guarantees for him at Old Trafford with Giggs, Ronaldo, Park, Richardson etc. Don't get me wrong, would be great to see him at united but I don't think thats what he's looking for at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

if he was allowed to go to united then i think he would fit it nicely. play him and ronaldo on the wings and then play giggs in a more central role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Agreed, Jose has always said he wont sell to rivals......but Gudjohnsen went to Barca!
    id love Duff at United,Giggs is quite injury prone.
    Saha looks like a good option up front if he stays injury free....big IF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

SSN are now reporting that Viera is on the verge of signing for Inter Milan, so if true, there is another transfer option gone by. Really looks like being a very quiet summer in the transfer market for Man U.

On the subject of Duff, they are also reporting that his agent is currently in talks with Newcastle. Chelsea have turned down a bid of 7m from spurs. It talks go to plan with Newcastle, the transfer could go ahead as soon as Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

I must switch on SSN to see this Vieira story. If this were true, United would really be left wanting big time in the defensive midfielder position and would be forced, in my opinion, to go for Carrick. Maybe Carrick is their last resort, hence why they made the bid and waited for the result of the match-fixing scandal. Now perhaps they've run out of options. We must sign someone!

If United put in the highest bid for Duff and his agent tells him that they are offering the best package (if they do) he has every right to tell Chelsea he wants to sign for United. While it may make football sense to sell him to Spurs, it makes business sense to get the best deal possible. And Im sure mourinho isnt too worried about United going on what they purchased so far this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

bucks73 wrote:
    And Im sure mourinho isnt too worried about United going on what they purchased so far this summer.
    Well, there's literally nothing to worry about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Real Madrid are signing players like it's nobody's business (another 3 rumoured also), so out of last season's squad, who do you think is available for sale? Zidane has retired, so I think only Ronaldo and Carlos are being pushed towards the exit door.

What about the Baptista lad to fill our gap in central midfield? Or would this only open us up to a part-exchange for Ronaldo?

Madds

If United were in for Duff, and if Chelsea were willing to sell, Duff would go to United in a second. First off, he is a lifelong United fan if I'm not mistaken. Second, he would be pretty much guarenteed first team football, well as much as any United player is.

Real apparently offered Graveson with cash for Ruud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

A liverpool fan i am almost sure, but he probably wants to play for a big club like Spurs, Man Yoo or Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Is Deffer not a liverpool fan?? I guess both will claim him from time to time.

Anyway with Viera gone(who was probably never on the cards) United are running very low on options.

As was pointed out to me today, Smith was last year said to be standing in when Keane left and is now being touted to fill the hole Van Nist will leave.
    United have one player where they used to have three??

Realistically, Roy Keane needed replacing/backup in the center two or three years ago. In this time Liverpool have gotten Alonso and Sissoko; Chelsea, Essien and Ballack; Tottenham, Davids plus Murphy and Carrick has come of age; Arsenal, Fabregas and Diaby. Now you're probably looking at all those players saying that some aren't good enough for United but many were back-up for players that were already there like Makelele, Gerrard and Gilberto.
    If Fergie goes through this summer chasing Torres, Duff and others to add to the most effective strike force in the league last year without getting the player he really needs he will be sacked this time next year becuase of it.

Unless the Rooney/Ronaldo/Saha triangle really..REALLY performs this year then Man U could be in big trouble this year facing an ever imporoving Spurs, possibly resurgent Arsenal and solid Liverpool and Chelsea.

All this said, it's possible that O'Shea will come out playing like a 28 year old Roy Keane and sort the lot out...almost.

Duff a liverpool supporter for sure. Anyone know who the player was in the player+cash offer for Carrick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

oh yeah, in addition to my rant, no one is really sure if Carrick is quite good enough are they?

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote:
    All this said, it's possible that O'Shea will come out playing like a 28 year old Roy Keane and sort the lot out...almost.

:D:D:D
    I wish man I wish!

Carrick isnt there yet, wont be the solution but who else is there? gattuso aint moving, so unless Vieira comes we gotta go for Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Trilla wrote:
    Duff a liverpool supporter for sure. Anyone know who the player was in the player+cash offer for Carrick?
    one of the papers said that it was sylvestre
    Manchester United will offer centre-back Mikael Silvestre in part-exchange for Spurs midfielder Michael Carrick. (Daily Mirror)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They should offer Spurs 14 million to take Silvestre!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase God let this happen!!!!!!!!!!!

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=404807&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Fergie:+Ruud+could+stay

"Ruud is not definitely leaving and I expect to see him at training on Monday," Ferguson explained.

"I spoke to [chief executive] David Gill on the phone yesterday and there is no development as far as Real Madrid is concerned.

"They have made an offer, we have rejected it. That is where the situation lies.

"If they don't come back in and increase their offer, he won't be going and I would be content with that. It would not bother me a bit.

"He is a striker who can score upwards of 20 goals a season and there are not many of those going around."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

At this stage, Ruud staying would probably be the best solution for United. Forget about Torres, and even wide players (you could stick Saha or Rooney on the wing if absolutely necessary, and just concentrate on the centre of midfield. Even if it means singing a load of random Africans and just hoping one of them turns out to be decent.....

Even if it means singing a load of random Africans and just hoping one of them turns out to be decent.....

Lol...straight from the Houllier guide to buying players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

IIRC Duff actually wanted to join United when he moved from Blackburn but United didnt cough up the money. He was a good option then and he still is. Ronaldo down the right and Duff on the left would be a great balance and give us that spark we have been missing.....and maybe herald the return of 4-4-2!

If we got Duff and Carrick and kept Ruud I would be more than happy. However I think Fergies comments are as much about provoking a higher bid than actually wanting to keep Ruud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm not sure I trust Fergie on this one, I mean Ruud's a goal machine, proven but if he's causing unrest then...well maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I'm not sure I trust Fergie on this one, I mean Ruud's a goal machine, proven but if he's causing unrest then...well maybe...

Ruuds class is undoubted. Poor season last year, never looked fit but would still love to see him in a United shirt next year. We all know what Fergie is like, cross him at your peril. He wont back down from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah that's the thing, he won't back down. But could it be a step too far? I mena I'm not doubting his judgement (hell, I am!) but with Beckham, Stam, Keane, Kanchelskis even, one always felt that the team was strong enough without them / could handle the loss. Ruud's predatory instincts and the fact that he score so much...there's not one other striker I'd like to see playing up front to be perfectly honest...

Advertisement