Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The Muppet wrote:
    Ruud missed a fair amount of games last season and United did well without him

Exactly how did United do well? The target for such a big club should be the championship and at least the quarters in the CL every year...Are we gonna be content with falling behind Chelsea every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well slong as there is a nolimit to club spending everyone wil lbow to chelsea and thats fact =D

it is increasing the call for a cap on spending, to a certain percentage of income to the club.

some say that this chelsea domination will spur other clubs onto big spending and the league will become the best in the world. I disagree.

I find chelsea very monotone to watch, they do jsut enough to win, they enver go and dominate a team 5 or 6-0. They buy players who are efficent and not given a free role, mourinho is the star, thats it. People like robben arnt really given a chance to full flurish due to what always seems a choked final third.

WE may see other teams progressing into a state of effincey, where its a big stand off, like many big games this season, teams being tactical, not gung ho.

IMO premiserhip standard of viewing is falling with more and more boring matches from the top teams. tbH best match this season was spurs and blackburn at white hart lane.

I hope the premiership doesnt go bent, but aslong as there are people like arsene wenger who promotes nice football free flowing passing then theres hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Aww nelly, it must be hard for you mate to not respond but you should try it sometime, it may give your boardsie image a well needed boost. I psed a question to Muppet ( a Man United fan) who suggested that Ruud was in decline. You really do need to get that potato field off your shoulder (too big to be merely a chip).

I have no idea what they would call him if he came to anfield as a liverpool player, this seems to be your stock reply to anything that anybody on boards says though, and something another poster (who I will not name because it upsets him and you a bit) always complain about others doing. It is well recognised that liverpool need a striker but TBH has nothing to do with this thread, I know that you may have trouble with this concept but the title of the thread may have given away what it was about and I missed the bit in the title that said uniteds strikers are better than liverpools blah blah blah.

The Muppet stated that Van Nist was in decline, I simply posed a question to him about how much people should be expected to pay for a player in decline. Perhaps people should read the thread before hopping on bashing "some liverpool fan" for slagging off the Mighty Ruud when it was a Man U fan that initially suggested it.

great post of a load of cr*p as usual, I never mentioned anything about Liverpools current strikers, I was talking about how much Liverpool where going to pay for Owen, does he play for Liverpool? NO!

Also the mention of God was nothing to do with Fowler because everyone already know he is past his best but if Liverpool still call him God then if they had a quality striker like Van Nist then was wondering what they would call him?

Think you should look closer to home for the chip, if you are posting a question direct to someone why dont you use that handy thing called the Quote option. Its not just there for Xmas, your post was aimmed at nobody so thats how I replied. If you have a problem then thats your fault not mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

attack the post not the poster T4TF....

astrofool wrote:
    attack the post not the poster T4TF....

read the thread, I didnt attack the poster but the post saying Van nist wasnt worth 7mil, then I get called for saying I have a chip on my shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Big Nelly wrote:
    He is also 10 times better than "God" as you call him. Wonder what name Liverpool would give a Van Nist if they had him if they call Fowler "God"....

What is it with you and your hatred of Liverpool and Liverpools supporters, how the hell did you drag Fowler and Liverpool supporters acclaim for him into a thread about how much RVN is worth?????

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

PHB wrote:
    Allegedly Ruud has been offered a new 4 year contract

Read that today, though the Mirror said a 3 year contract with a £10,000 a week pay rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Big Nelly wrote:
    read the thread, I didnt attack the poster but the post saying Van nist wasnt worth 7mil, then I get called for saying I have a chip on my shoulder

Looks quite clear you have once again failed to read what was said. Why should I use the quote button ? Perhaps you should read the thread which is in conversation format. Somebody says something, a response is posted another response is posted and so on and so on.

And also that I am not the only person to note your ant-liverpool bias.

Also, I was not attacking anythin, just making an observation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Big Nelly wrote:

Read the post properly... he never said you attacked anybody! I'm a United fan and I'd love to see Ruud stay but not many clubs would pay much more than 7million for him at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

andrewie wrote:
    I'm a United fan and I'd love to see Ruud stay but not many clubs would pay much more than 7million for him at this stage.

I have to disagree with you there. If you take a comparative look at transfer fees and think of the quality of finishing Ruud could bring to any side in europe i think he's worth at least 13 or 14 million. Fergie will not let him go for under 15m. Compare him with these players:

Crespo 16m
    Drogba 24m
    Owen 12m
    saha 12.5m
    Morientes 8.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The last post was defending you big nelly, but it is now clear that you are an imbecile and probably deserve the insults you're getting.

What is it with you and your hatred of Liverpool and Liverpools supporters, how the hell did you drag Fowler and Liverpool supporters acclaim for him into a thread about how much RVN is worth?????

Yeah I hate them, God I hate them soooo much.....lol....I couldn't care less about Liverpool but once anyone disagrees with the 'pool on here I hate them! How come I can comment on all teams and have discussion with them, even leeds supporters who we do hate, and still don't get this type of post aimed at me
    Looks quite clear you have once again failed to read what was said. Why should I use the quote button ? Perhaps you should read the thread which is in conversation format. Somebody says something, a response is posted another response is posted and so on and so on.

You where having a great conversation alright. What was the first post on this thread but a snide remarks that van nist isnt worth 7million but sure because it was you it wasnt snide at all
    And also that I am not the only person to note your ant-liverpool bias.

Read above, how come I can comment on other teams on a daily basis and not always good but when it comes to Liverpool I am biased becasue I dont support them
    Also, I was not attacking anythin, just making an observation

No of course you where not attacking anyone

Van Nist is worth well more tahn 7mil and would be closer to the 20million, the reference above was to Owen (who doesn't play for Liverpool I might add) but he was bought for 16 million and he isnt anywhere near the record that Van Nist has in European football. How come when his name comes into a move all the top teams are looking to move for him

Strange is it the season after Vieira moves from Arsenal the press move away from the yearly "Vieira is going" story to "Van Nist" is going.

Is he worth that only because you said it ? A couple of Man U fans on this thread have now questioned his ability and one has even said thet they would take seven million for them. And yet you continue on your crusade. I did not make a snide remark, I commented on a point made by somebody else, something you took on because "In your opinion" RvN is worth more than has been offered. Again I was not attacking anybody, I made an observation that has also been noticed by somebody else, I can't be too far off the mark....

BTW is snide your word of the week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I wouldn't mind if RVN left and I constantly question his ability but there is no way that there isn't any club willing to pay over 7 million for him.

BTW is snide your word of the week ?

Grow up, another observation? :rolleyes:
    Is he worth that only because you said it ? A couple of Man U fans on this thread have now questioned his ability and one has even said thet they would take seven million for them. And yet you continue on your crusade. I did not make a snide remark, I commented on a point made by somebody else, something you took on because "In your opinion" RvN is worth more than has been offered. Again I was not attacking anybody, I made an observation that has also been noticed by somebody else, I can't be too far off the mark....

Again my point is that if Owen is worth 16mil then surely a better player in his prime is worth alot more. Van Nist isnt even over 30 yet.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    my point is that if Owen is worth 16mil then surely a better player in his prime is worth alot more. Van Nist isnt even over 30 yet.

And now you decide to make the point in a non aggressive and sarcastic manner, you see how easy that was. Imagine all of the wear on your fingers that could have been saved if you had just done that in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't think Ruud is particularily in decline, I just think he getting a bit older, and it might be united's last chance to cash-in. You know, with the new owners etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

@ Thanx for the fish, would it be possible to get people to cut out the mindless b*tching and slagging in threads?? It fills up threads with crap. This thread was meant to discuss a football issue and evolved into a personal issue, of "he said" "I said" etc etc.. Its ruining the soccer forum.. It seems to be the same people over and over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

RVN 211 games for utd yielding 148 goals.

Do the maths
    7 million?

Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Agreed, RVN may not be in the scintilating form that many of us have become used to but he is still among the 5 best strikers in Europe. Saha has been working hard and scoring goals so he is in the team ahead of RVN but I don't expect it to continue for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

astrofool wrote:
    The last post was defending you big nelly, but it is now clear that you are an imbecile and probably deserve the insults you're getting.

All I can say is LOL :D Prize for the worst post of the day goes to.....Big Nelly. Just a little personal joke there.

To get back on the RVN discussion, he is at the moment joint best goal scorer in the league (I think?). Henry will fast overtake him unless he gets playing and scoring again. Maybe Fergie is holding him back knowing that he'll be raring to go against the big guns Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. He'll either end his season on fire and a hero or whimper out in a crowd of geers and rumours....we'll see.

And if he is part of a succesful dutch run in the WC, who knows what that could do with his form. At the moment i would like to see another striker playing but there is a nagging feeling that he still isn't finished at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

For the life of me, I cannot understand where comments have come from about Van Nistelrooy being 'listliss' and 'uninterested' and all other nonsense.
    I think he's made a notable improvement in his build-up play. He is one of the best in the Premiership at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. (RE: Rooney's goal against Wigan at OT if you can remember). During his month or so spell of being captain it was like he had a second wind, I just wish he got it on a permenant basis.
    I understood Fergie's decision to leave him out of the team for the Carling Cup final, Saha fully deserved his place. But leaving him out of the team when he has 19 league goals to his name fuels speculation, and is just silly when you see his goals-to-games ratio, and actually makes me wonder if SAF openly looks for confrontation.

Ps, I had to laugh at The Sun's "exclusive" story this morning, about a Man United fan who was talking to Van Nistelrooy's brother in a bar and found out that he wants to leave. Golden stuff, eh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What's even funnier about that story is that a guy on another united forum was the fan, and he posted it after the match.

However what is much more troubling, is that Ruud's brother is well known to a lot of United fans, and tends to be right. And in the past when these rumours about Ruud came to front, he always dismissed them, so that's troubling.
    Furthermore, it's the same fan who talked about the Keane bust up about 6 hrs before it was generally released, so he has got a bit of credability.

However, let's hope that Ruud is staying at united forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

The Sun cut and pasted that from the Redissue website. Nothing like investigative journalism is there eh?

Mind you that poster has been on the ball before told people on there about Keane leaving 2 hours before it made it onto anywhere else.

And Ruuds brother prefers drinking and having a laugh with the fans apparently. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

7 million is a joke for one of the best finishers in the game...

SWP went for 25.... Drogba went for a lot as well, who would u rather have in ur team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i hope that RVN stays you are not going to find a better finisher than him.

id also like to see united try to get reo-coker from west ham he is a very good player and would be better than our current midfield

If anyone wants to know why we can afford to only buy one midfield player in my opinion have a look at David Jones playing for NEC in the dutch first division.

He joined them in late January:
    Has played 10 games
    Has scored in 6
    has gotten MOM 3 times

The guy is in better form than Sneijder

Jonah is in great form for NEC he scored last night again in a 2-2 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have to disagree with you there. If you take a comparative look at transfer fees and think of the quality of finishing Ruud could bring to any side in europe i think he's worth at least 13 or 14 million. Fergie will not let him go for under 15m. Compare him with these players:

Crespo 16m
    Drogba 24m
    Owen 12m
    saha 12.5m
    Morientes 8.5

You have to take age into it. All of these are younger than Van Nistlerooy. Your payying for future value as well as current.

EDIT** Moro is 3 months older than RVN. But by the time the summer comes round it will have been 1 1/2 years since moro signed. So you'd be comparing a 28 year old moro to a 30 year old RVN. Crespo is also older, but signed 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

Except, RUud is better than all of these players:

Crespo 16m
    Drogba 24m
    Owen 12m
    saha 12.5m
    Morientes 8.5

Crespo is the only player to even considered in the same class.
    Thing about RUud is, he is about to be top scorer or be close to it in the World Cup.
    Furthermore, the second he comes availible, name me a club who wouldn't want him. You could maybe name 2, 3 at most.
    Ruud has 3 more years in him at peak level, which for the club he joins, is a min 60 goals, maybe 90.
    Anyone who thinks United wouldn't get at least 20 million for him is just being silly.

But luckilly, he has come out today and said that he wants to stay. United have said they want him to stay. Everyone wants him to stay. He is staying!

Morientes record (Liverpool aside) is fantastic. He has 27 in 43 int games too.
    Crespo is also a fantastic player.
    Owen has scored 179 clubs goals in his career. (Hes' only 26 so that will rise considerably seeign as he's not in his theoretical prime yet)

These 3 can be fairly comparired to RVN.

I dont like drogba. He was bought on the strength of a season or two of scoring in Frach (where he was outscroed by Ciise iirc , nuff said). He was bought for an inflated "chelsea price".

Saha could be decent but not in the same goalscoring league as RVn, I don't rate him too highly but who am I to judge.
    PHB wrote:
    Thing about RUud is, he is about to be top scorer or be close to it in the World Cup.

I assume you dont mean in the finals? because he's nowhere in that list. ( I can't find his name in the top 100)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Stekelly wrote:
    :D forget the current club :rolleyes:

TheMonster wrote:
    :D forget the current club :rolleyes:

Well Forlan has done very well either side of his stint at Utd. Some players just are'nt suited to the pace and physical nature of the prmemiership. Big, strong athletic players (obviously they have to be a bit of a footballer too, which is where Ciise falls down) generally do well in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

PHB wrote:
    But luckilly, he has come out today and said that he wants to stay. United have said they want him to stay. Everyone wants him to stay. He is staying!

Ah, but what has Ruuds brother said! The Sun jurno shoud track him down in a pub today and buy him a few drinks to loosen his tongue.

I mean the coming finals sorry.
    His scoring record pre Liverpool

02-03 - 19/5
    01-02 - 33/18
    00-01 - 22/6(injury year though)
    99-00 - 29/13
    98-99 - 33/19
    97-98 - 33/12
    96-97 - 37/15
    95-96 - 29/13

Never broke the 20 mark in a season in a league. Averages 13.5(not including the injury season) a season with one of the best real madrid teams ever feeding him.

Owen averaged 16.33 league goals a season from 97 until 02/03

Crespo had two incredible season in Italy, getting 21 goals for Parma and 26 for Lazio. Besides that he averages about 15 league goals a season.

Ruud:

05-06 - 23/19
    04-05 - 17/6(injury year)
    03-04 - 32/20
    02-03 - 34/25
    01-02 - 32/23
    00-01 - 10/2(injury year)
    99-00 - 23/29
    98-99 - 34/31
    97-98 - 31/13
    [Age 20] 96-97 - 31/12

Averages 21.5(without the injuries) league goals a year. Thats not including his CL and international record
    Since the age of 22, he has averaged 24.5 goals a season.
    He has not dropped below 20 goals a season when he is injured.
    In one of his injury years, he was still CL top scorer, despite being knocked out in the first round of the knockouts.

He has preformed at every level, league, european, and international consistantly since the age of 22, and is without a doubt a league or two ahead of Owen or Crespo(although on form, I think Crespo is nearly as good as him)

---

Morientes: 13.5
    Crespo: 15
    Owen: 16.33
    Ruud: 21.5

They can be fairly compared without a doubt, and I think the other three are very good players, I even thought Morientes was Benetiz's best buy when he came initally, but when you compare them, you can see the class of Ruud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

As an aside. Congratulations Gary Neville today on his 500th appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I watched Lyonais v milan last night and i have seen enough of diarra to suggest that he is worth the big money transfer. I thought he dominated Gattuso last night and kept pushing on until the end. He links with the back 4 and also isnt afraid to attack. He's made for the EPL. United badly need a big player like him. Lets hope fergie puts a bid in and secondly Real or milan arent his preferred options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I watched Lyonais v milan last night and i have seen enough of diarra to suggest that he is worth the big money transfer. I thought he dominated Gattuso last night and kept pushing on until the end. He links with the back 4 and also isnt afraid to attack. He's made for the EPL. United badly need a big player like him. Lets hope fergie puts a bid in and secondly Real or milan arent his preferred options.

I don't think we will get Diarra.

As far as i can see, Diarra and Mascherano will be the two big DM movers this summer. Real, Chelsea and Arsenal are all on the look out for a DM, AC Milan could be too - Gattuso may be moving on.

Anywho, i reckon all 4 would be ahead of us in the race for the first 2 players mentioned. Real and Milan because of the money they can offer, along with their history, big club draw and likelyhood to be going for athe CL realistically next season. Chelsea beause they are the big spenders and big draw in england now - being based in a fasionable part of london does not hinder them either (given the choice of equal clubs and contracts, i would reckon most players will chose london over manchester) I even think arsenal are ahead because they are London based (i do see that as a fairly big factor) and doing very very well in the CL this season.

We are going to end up getting a 2nd rate player, one from Duscher, Makoun and Zakora would neither surprise nor satisfy me.

• Advertisement

And arsenal going far in europe won't help:(

And arsenal going far in europe won't help:(
    although, wenger might keep the faith with his current 4 (cesc, Gilberto, Flamini and Hleb) considering how they are performing now. Also talk the will be signing joey barton for 2million in the summer, so they may not be in the race for diarra, mascherano or gattuso should they be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any news on Roy Keane's testimonial
    ie where to get tickets

i know its on the 1st of may

9th May

any news on Roy Keane's testimonial
    ie where to get tickets

No you don't, you don't know its on May 9th;)

no announcement on when the tickets go on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i saw an ad in the mirror for a special holiday thing with the ticket included. wasnt too expensive but cant remember how much. just have a lok around the newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Who are Uniteds brightest prospects would anyone think?

I'm particularly fond of Foster, Phil Bardsley, Rossi and Darron Gibson(Irish, trained with the first team last week)

Lets have a look at United's under 21 team:

Steele
    Bardesly-McShane-Pique-Spector

David Jones-Fletcher-Martin

Ronaldo-Rossi-Rooney

Also Blake is pretty decent, but he doesn't get into the squad, while he'd get into any other under 21 strike force in the country.

And you're telling me that there is another under 21 team in the country who would beat that? Infact, how many premiership sides is better than that team? Theres a couple who aren't.
    The reason that the reserves lost to Liverpool is that half of them are out on loan, 4 of them are first team regulars, so the side is quite quite different.

If you don't think United are developing quality players for the future, you are quite simply deluding yourself.

p.s.
    Just so I am very clear, I think the following players will make it into the United regular team, and deservedly so.

Bardesly
    McShane
    Pique
    Spector
    David Jones
    Ronaldo
    Rossi
    Rooney

United are producing another golden generation

p.p.s.

RoRoRo is the future

p.p.p.s

Don't forget about Rincon, who is on a two year loan deal to Sporting Lisbon, who is probably the most likely out of all of those players, including Rooney and Ronaldo imo, to make it as a world class footballer.

Just to re-cap, besides Ronaldo and Rooney, the players that are under 20 that are the brighest prospects go in this order:

David Jones
    Rincon
    Rossi
    Pique/Spector/Bardesly
    Blakes
    McShane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tauren wrote:
    No you don't, you don't know its on May 9th;)

no announcement on when the tickets go on sale.
    ;) sorry ment 9th of may

anybody going
    im hoping to go

Quinton Fortune is on his way out at the end of the season. Fergie has told him he is not needed as he has so many good young players for his position.

That's fairly sad, as he spent a fair chunk of his career at ManU and never really stayed in the team despite being a decent player. Good luck Quinton.

• Advertisement
Advertisement