Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Unearthly wrote:
    but lets put things into perspective. People saying Man Utd will struggle to qualify for CL I have no idea where you're coming from. This side finished 15+ points ahead of spurs, same with Arsenal, and we have players coming back from injury. No-one was more shocked than me last year when we actually won games without a centre midfield but just goes to show how poor the league is bar a few teams.

I agree. Definitely will get a top 3 finish along with Chelsea and either Pool or Arsenal. While United may not have the necessary to win the title they do have more than the rest of the teams outside the top 4. Its the slip ups to "inferior" teams that let them down last season. Scored same number of goals as Chelsea and conceded 4th least after Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. Defence will improve again with Gabby and Neville back for full season hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Unearthly wrote:
    First of all let me say anyone with a brain can see Man Utd need new midfielders to improve the side. It's depressing that Fergie can't seem to find anyone to buy. Then again I'd rather he thought along about it than getting another Djemba twin or Kleberson.

but lets put things into perspective. People saying Man Utd will struggle to qualify for CL I have no idea where you're coming from. This side finished 15+ points ahead of spurs, same with Arsenal, and we have players coming back from injury. No-one was more shocked than me last year when we actually won games without a centre midfield but just goes to show how poor the league is bar a few teams.

I'm finding it frustrating cause if we sort out the midfield, we could possibly challenge Chelsea for the league, but if we don't sign anyone, we'll be 2nd or 3rd and qualify for CL comfortably.
    Arsenal were poor last term. Spurs showed signs of being contenders, they only need some consistency. Liverpool will be challenging again and Chelsea, well they'll be hard to beat. All those squads have been suplimented by good summer signings. united have potentially lost their top goal scorer and lost their engine and best player for a decade in the middle of last season.

I can see us fighting with spurs for 4th unless we get a midfield and perhaps a decent striker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Unearthly wrote:
    I guaran DAMN tee that won't happen
    should have used this :rolleyes:

it wont Duffis their new idol replacing owen who replaced shearer RVN will now prob go to bayern unless madrid or fergie do something and the money will go towards a midfielder unless the gossip about Torres proves to be more than just gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

nah you should of said "RVN" :D

Sprinkles, Roy Keane hardly played last season, and if anything, the team looked better without him. Of course Keano was a legend, and probably the best player Man Utd has had in recent memory, but he was slowing the team in the last season or 2, and Fergie was forced to change the team around to fit him in, and we suffered cause of it.

Spurs only looked contenders cause of arsenals underachieving. Now that Arsenal will have most of the defenders back, and a signing in Rosicky, I'd bet Spurs get nowhere near them this season. I just can't see the usual top 4 being knocked out of the champions league places unless one of the teams get a cruel injury crisis, or a conflict inside the club completely destroys the dressing room morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ruud is apparently close to signing for Bayern http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5209074.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Maybe Hargreaves + cash ? O_o

Unearthly wrote:
    nah you should of said "RVN" :D

Sprinkles, Roy Keane hardly played last season, and if anything, the team looked better without him. Of course Keano was a legend, and probably the best player Man Utd has had in recent memory, but he was slowing the team in the last season or 2, and Fergie was forced to change the team around to fit him in, and we suffered cause of it.

Spurs only looked contenders cause of arsenals underachieving. Now that Arsenal will have most of the defenders back, and a signing in Rosicky, I'd bet Spurs get nowhere near them this season. I just can't see the usual top 4 being knocked out of the champions league places unless one of the teams get a cruel injury crisis, or a conflict inside the club completely destroys the dressing room morale.

What I meant was that United started last season with a decent midfield and strike force. Compare that to the one we have now and we have some big holes to fill. I agree Keane prob wouldn't have been a big advantage to us this season but we haven't done anything to replace him. Nothing. Surely there is 1 player out there that can do a job for us and is willing to come to utd.

As for spurs I think they showed some great quality last year. If they can build on that, which I fully expect them to, then they will be pushing for 4th spot again and out of the top 4, as things stand, I think it'll be with Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

SofaKing wrote:

please no!!

I hope da followin will happen:

Torres in for 18 - 22m sterling
    Carrick in for 6-8m plus Silvestre
    RVN out for 13-16m

settle for that now at this stage, wont happen though

Trilla wrote:
    please no!!

I hope da followin will happen:

Torres in for 18 - 22m sterling
    Carrick in for 6-8m plus Silvestre
    RVN out for 13-16m

settle for that now at this stage, wont happen though
    Honestly at this stage, I could see ManU getting both Carrick AND Hargreaves for players + cash. But both are obviously not of the quality ManU fans would rightly expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

5 weeks to go aint it
    untill transfer window closes

this is really pissing me off

i want to see quality players coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

SofaKing wrote:
    Honestly at this stage, I could see ManU getting both Carrick AND Hargreaves for players + cash. But both are obviously not of the quality ManU fans would rightly expect.

Two great signings imo. Utd could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Two great signings imo. Utd could do a lot worse.
    They could also do alot better. United should be doing alot better in the transfer market tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

SofaKing wrote:

I agree i think hargreaves and another top midfielder like vieria for a couple of seasons and Torres would make a good summer. I can't believe Duff went for £5million bargain of the season i reckon there, still suprised we did'nt try make a bid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I agree i think hargreaves and another top midfielder like vieria for a couple of seasons and Torres would make a good summer. I can't believe Duff went for £5million bargain of the season i reckon there, still suprised we did'nt try make a bid as well.
    Aye, the 3 above mentioned would be good but come on, can you honestly see us signing 2 high profile midfielders and arguably the hottest property in Spain before the start of the new season? As good as it would be, I remain sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im not happy to settle this summer. We have been actively seeking a replcament for Roy Keane for 2 + years and hes gone not far off a year now and we have nothing. Two years of scouting and nothing.

It was quiet clear that we needed to buy this summer and its my own fault for getting my expectations up but its looking like being a very bleak summer.

We done well to keep ahead of Pool and Arsenal last year with the pitiful teams we were putting out week in week out and I thought with the right signings we would not only keep ahead of Pool and Arsenal but close the gap on Chelsea.

Right now we are 4th imo, behin Chelsea, Pool and Arsenal. Unless we sign soon thats my prediction for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I can't see any of the 3 above signing really, apart from carrick, but it looks like it up to spurs if they want to let him go. Sir Alex said yeterday in the papers that when keane left in november it left a void there, but if we say did sign Carrick or Hargreaves would they be the replacment he has being looking for the last 2 years?

I know chelsea would never sell, but if i was fergie id offer chelsea £18 for Essien and see what they think and if they were to say no, then go after Javier Maschernao from Argentina as we would probably be the only BIG club that would be interested at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be happy with Hargreaves tbh, good enough player, obviously not first choice, but I don't think you can be part of a midfield of yourself and Ballack for the top German team without having some game (especially considering he often put in MOM preformances)

PHB wrote:
    I'd be happy with Hargreaves tbh, good enough player, obviously not first choice, but I don't think you can be part of a midfield of yourself and Ballack for the top German team without having some game (especially considering he often put in MOM preformances)

yep he could well prove us and the english press all wrong

PHB wrote:

Was he getting a game out there this year?Im sure I heard some critic over the WC say he started 15 games this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It's cool lads, we still have Miller! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd be happy if we signed Hargreaves after he shut his critics up in the World Cup.

The_B_Man wrote:
    It's cool lads, we still have Miller! ;)

NOt for long, seems hes gona move on this summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Torres press conference due tomorrow in Madrid
    I'd say thats athletico telling us to clear off!

We need midfielders fergie first and foremost!

Carrick would be a good signing, so would hargreaves,

Valencia have made a statement saying they'll keep making offers to United until they give in for C Ronaldo...if it gets past 25m sterling SELL SELL SELL!!!

from
    www.skysports.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

is it really a good idea to sell players when you're trying to rebuild a midfield?

yeah good point who would fergie get even with a 60-70m budget to replace him, Keane and RVN ?

v good point.

Was he getting a game out there this year?Im sure I heard some critic over the WC say he started 15 games this year?

injured for a fair bit of the season i think
    yeah good point who would fergie get even with a 60-70m budget to replace him, Keane and RVN ?

what are you on about? :confused:

injured for a fair bit of the season i think

Ah ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Trilla wrote:
    Valencia have made a statement saying they'll keep making offers to United until they give in for C Ronaldo...if it gets past 25m sterling SELL SELL SELL!!!

from
    www.skysports.com

3rd time lucky eh ;) Slight problem is we dont seem to have anybody lined up regardless of what we have in the kitty :mad:

Major faux pas not having a go for Duff, 5m FFS! Even if he was hamstrung for 50% of the league calendar he would still be value for money IMO!

Jol said they would think about 20m for Carrick :eek: Of course you would cos thats prob more than 3 times what hes worth ;)

Said it 2 wks ago and saying it even more so now...we're in the brown stuff, no strategy or real targets by the looks of things. Certainly doesnt give me a warm feeling when Fergie says it doesnt bother him if he buys nobody else in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well targets are running out thick and fast, i dont know what fergie is playing at, loaning out foster and then planning on spending 4 million on a keeper, no need for him, looks like his main man is carrick, i hope he knows what he is doing there, no way carrick is worth 20 mil in todays world.
    so we have 3 confirmed bids so far, personally id rather foster kept and forget bid one, likewise, forget bid 2, and while number 3 has his critics, id love him at united!

1 - Kuszczak (confirmed by brian robson) rejected
    2- carrick (confirmed by martin jol) rejected pending higher bid
    3- riquelme ( confirmed by riquelme himself) rejected pending possible higher bid

thats all we know are true, the rest are only rumours. the world cup is over, likewise the SA tour is over, so its time for action this week or else we really are in trouble, as the prem starts in 3 weeks. its time for action this week! i expect torres to state in the morning that he is staying put in madrid, though i hope that im wrong. viera looks like he is going to inter, so who else is there?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I've gone through this entire summer posting in this thread saying that I'm very worried. And things are getting worse.

Gattuso is staying at Milan. Vieira is staying in Italy. Diarra is staying in France. I really can't see Bayern giving up both Hargreaves and Ballack in the same summer. Apart from the likes of Cahill, Nolan and Reo Coker - who really aren't good enough, and aren't moving anyway - there are very few even hypothetical options left for our midfield. Riquelme seems a distant dream tbh. Mascherano would be a corker of a signing, but it would have come out of nowhere, and what with work permits and what-have-you still to be sorted out, it's probably too late to be signing from South America. Carrick is probably the only option left, and at 20m he is unbelievably overpriced.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic here, but I'd put United battling with Spurs for 4th next season. And Spurs are the team with the more promising future. If I was an ambitious Michael Carrick I might even prefer to stay with Tottenham...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

well if it means that the right players don,t come in then i am happy that we don,tr bring in anyone.carrick,hargreaves,can stay where the are.i,m happy duff ended up at newcastle hes not a big club player certainly not good enough to wear the red of man u.why u think chelski got shut of him for 5 mill.

duff should of went to celtic the would worship him there lmao.
    look at the gunners who the buy rosicky as if 1 player will make a difference.

any how if we don,t buy we can see how things goes to january transfer window and whats available.
    i suppose with ruud on the way out,torres would be the only option out there ands hes young to,but we,ll know tomorrow what hes doing.

ya don,t buy for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

if we dont buy i think we will still be in second, cant see Arsenal being there, Liverpool are a big threat though

hawker27 wrote:
    Awesome signing by Arsenal. Suprised ManU didn't get involved.

hawker27 wrote:
    i,m happy duff ended up at newcastle hes not a big club player certainly not good enough to wear the red of man u.why u think chelski got shut of him for 5 mill.

duff should of went to celtic the would worship him there lmao.
    l

go back to space kid

go back to space kid
    Indeed.

Is AM or Torres making the statement tomorrow? If it's Torres then I think we may see a transfer request....fingers crossed

Quick question:

Would you swap Ronaldo for torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No

to the poster above

Yes!especially if it was a straight swap!;)

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    Quick question:

Would you swap Ronaldo for torres?

I would even throw in a few mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

sprinkles wrote:
    What I meant was that United started last season with a decent midfield and strike force. Compare that to the one we have now and we have some big holes to fill. I agree Keane prob wouldn't have been a big advantage to us this season but we haven't done anything to replace him. Nothing. Surely there is 1 player out there that can do a job for us and is willing to come to utd.

As for spurs I think they showed some great quality last year. If they can build on that, which I fully expect them to, then they will be pushing for 4th spot again and out of the top 4, as things stand, I think it'll be with Utd.

I agree with strikeforce but I thought Man Utds midfield has been quite weak for about 3 seasons now. Keane was never getting younger, Scholes wasn't performing except for maybe a small patch of about 10 games a season, Nicky Butt was past it, Giggs off form sometimes, Djemba x 2 we all know about, Kleberson never settled in, Fletcher and Richardson have never looked worldclass, and John O'Shea has looked out of his depth sometimes. Basically we miss David Beckham, Im not saying he was wrong to sell him as he has declined quite a bit, but Man Utd do miss him. Veron was finally starting to settle in, but got sold. 2 of our more attacking midfielders sold and never really replaced.

Then the fact he failed to replace Keane and Scholes. The writing was on the wall since 2003 and it has not been addressed. However, like I said originally, we still survived in the top 3 without a great midfield, and I can't see that changing.

bucks73 wrote:
    I would even throw in a few mill.
    I have to say that I'd be leaning towards your way of thinking. Ronaldo had better develop into the player we all expected him to be soon or the rest of the squad may get tired of his play acting and inability to cross the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

sprinkles wrote:
    I have to say that I'd be leaning towards your way of thinking. Ronaldo had better develop into the player we all expected him to be soon or the rest of the squad may get tired of his play acting and inability to cross the ball.
    I really don't understand how people expect a player who does not want to be there, to give his all for a club. If the rumours are true about Valencia, I would sell him in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Indeed, I wouldn't have wanted Ronaldo to go, but if he wants to go, then sell him. He's such an erratic player that if he's unhappy, it will reflect in his play.

How many posts has this thread gone since the summer started? I keep coming on expecting something, but alas, nothing every day. It's partly my own fault for getting my hopes up about this summer.

It has been a disappointing summer to say the least.

The fact is Uniteds problems are deep rooted and will continue to grow unless something is done. A change of manager is needed I think. Fergie has made some bad calls in the past few years imo. He's bought some poor players and didn't give the few good players he bought a chance in the team. He's also let his ego get in his way too many times. No player is bigger than the club and the same should be said of the manager. And now he's stated that he's happy with the squad when any one from the local punter in the pub to Mourinho would tell you that squad is lacking. This is his stubborness at play again.

IMO he made some poor tactical desicions, especially in europe. united should be challenging for the CL every year and we haven't been for a long time. The squad has the bare bones of a very good side. It's been SAF's inability to get those finishing pieces in that has led to united's fall from grace.

At the minute we are not in a crisis and I don't mean to seem like i'm scaremongoring but the situation is heading towards a crisis. Chelsea are looking odds on for a hat trick of PL titles. United barely pushed them last season or the season before. It's been 3 years or more since we've looked like the best team in England and nothing has been done to fix that. The only good point of the last 3 years has been the signing of Rooney.

• Advertisement

what are you on about? :confused:

What I was sayin that if United werer to sell RVN and Ronaldo, even with 60-70m of transfer kitty who would go to United at this stage as replacements? The 60-70m figure was just a figure off top of head (20m kitty plus RVN plus Ronaldo fees = 60m ?).

thats what Im on about as you put it

hawker27 wrote:
    ...i,m happy duff ended up at newcastle hes not a big club player certainly not good enough to wear the red of man u.why u think chelski got shut of him for 5 mill.duff should of went to celtic the would worship him
    there lmao.

silly point to say the least
    hawker27 wrote:

good point gotta say, they got rid of 4 squad players and brought in one. Another will be on his way I assume (Flashy Cashley). maybe, just maybe Fergie & co has something up his sleeve. Time is running out, but we have been shocked before with out of blue and late moves (Return of Hughes, Andrew Cole, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane turn around, Forlan, Rooney etc)

sprinkles wrote:
    It has been a disappointing summer to say the least.

The fact is Uniteds problems are deep rooted and will continue to grow unless something is done. A change of manager is needed I think. Fergie has made some bad calls in the past few years imo. He's bought some poor players and didn't give the few good players he bought a chance in the team. He's also let his ego get in his way too many times. No player is bigger than the club and the same should be said of the manager. And now he's stated that he's happy with the squad when any one from the local punter in the pub to Mourinho would tell you that squad is lacking. This is his stubborness at play again.

IMO he made some poor tactical desicions, especially in europe. united should be challenging for the CL every year and we haven't been for a long time. The squad has the bare bones of a very good side. It's been SAF's inability to get those finishing pieces in that has led to united's fall from grace.

At the minute we are not in a crisis and I don't mean to seem like i'm scaremongoring but the situation is heading towards a crisis. Chelsea are looking odds on for a hat trick of PL titles. United barely pushed them last season or the season before. It's been 3 years or more since we've looked like the best team in England and nothing has been done to fix that. The only good point of the last 3 years has been the signing of Rooney.

Yeah, I have to say I have been very slow to criticise Ferguson becuase of all he has done but slowly my mind is changing. If nothing happens this season (and I dont expect it to) then he should step aside. I think he will be wise enough to know when to go instead of getting the bullet from the yanks.

As for the CL, Im not bothered by that at all. Priority should be the league and make ourselves champions again. A good run in the CL would be nice but concentrate on the league. No weakened teams for league games just to keep players fresh for some away group game in Turkey. First things first.

One other good point in last 3 years has been Heinze. Great signing. More tough as teak Argentinians please. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Torres has announced that he is going to stay in Spain.

But he held a press conference in Madrid on Tuesday to say: "I want to stay. If I had wanted to leave Atletico Madrid I would have done it years ago.

"I feel fine here. There has been a lot of discussion about my possible exit but I am here for another year."

Full story here => http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5187184.stm

• Advertisement
Advertisement