Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Seriously PHB, how did you get to moderate anything? Christmas cracker prize?

PHB wrote:
    That's because your posts are just doom mongering. Taking pieces of facts which are first glance appear to be 'bad', and just ignoring the surrounding situation, and then complaining about them.
    I'm not ignoring the surrounding situation, just interepreting it as I see it. I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to hold a contrary opinion to yours.

PHB wrote:
    How much do you think it will cost to enter a league? Also, the idea of trying to pass on the wage bill is laughable. Most of these players can't be on more than a grand a week, which is 52 grand a year. Which is roughly the weekly wage of a first team player.
    Lesser cost savings than that have been made. I doubt that the 20 or so backroom staff that were let go cost as much.

PHB wrote:
    Indeed, want to know why? Because they did so ****ing well that they were wanted by clubs as managers, and Fergie desperately tried to keep them, but couldn't, as they were being offered managerial positions in other clubs.
    Right, so it would be better if United did really badly, then they could hold on to staff more easily? If they'd wanted to keep them that badly, they would have.
    PHB wrote:
    What's happened is you'd like United to no longer being developing youth seriously, cause it would fit nicely into your general thesis, but it's just flatly untrue.
    What's funny about this is that there are plenty of things to complain about with the state of United, yet you choose to pick on something which is probably in the best state of anything at United.
    Your mind-reading skills are up there with your debating and moderating skills, well done. I've complained about those other aspects, too. Believe it or not, I'm glad that the youth teams are doing so well, I'm just not as optimistic that it will continue as some people seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Real have made a new offer for Ruud

!0 sterling still isnt enough IMO. What do you' think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno, I think they'll accept - definitely not enough though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have'nt read this thread so excuse my ignorance (I'm not trolling either!) have Utd actually signed anyone this summer?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I have'nt read this thread so excuse my ignorance (I'm not trolling either!) have Utd actually signed anyone this summer?

Technically we signed a kid from one of Ole's schools, but no, we are currently the only premiership club not to have signed a player

Also havn't you heard? Smith, Ole, Scholes, Heinze are like new signings :)

Nope - just loads and loads of speculation!

I think Smith should be given a proper chance as an out-ad-out centre forward if Ruud leaves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

adox wrote:
    You are kidding right? One of Defoes plus points is his pace.

I for one wouldnt mind seeing him at Old Trafford at all.If he did sign,he`d be the only real proven goal poacher that United would have on their books and in that way some sort of replacement for Ruud.

He isn't Shearer slow but I never really considered him to be an especially pacey player.

What did he get last season - 8/9 goals? Jol, a decent manager, doesn't seem to think much of him.

Torres is an explosive talent and would bring something extra to the team. What would Dafoe bring that Saha etc. couldn't?

Waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    i smell a big fat troll;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Don't understand why United don't sell Ruud to Byern in part exachange for Hargreves. Both him and Carrick in midfield would be beteer than where we stand at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

PLus he is not a natural goal scorer like Ruud. Good when he has the ball at his feet but when he doesnt he never seems to be in the goal poachers position. Usually day dreaming out at the edge of the box.

Not good enough for Spurs. Definitely not good enough for United.

daveg wrote:
    Don't understand why United don't sell Ruud to Byern in part exachange for Hargreves. Both him and Carrick in midfield would be beteer than where we stand at the moment.

That is true. And I believe they are willing to let Makaay go. Might be a decent guy to have in the squad.

Yes Hargrraves would be btter than what we have at the moment but we shouldn't be pushd into making rushed signings. Hargreaves isn't a very good player imo and I wouldn't like to see him in a Man Utd shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

bucks73 wrote:
    That is true. And I believe they are willing to let Makaay go. Might be a decent guy to have in the squad.

ye may as well keep RVN sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Yes Hargrraves would be btter than what we have at the moment but we shouldn't be pushd into making rushed signings. Hargreaves isn't a very good player imo and I wouldn't like to see him in a Man Utd shirt

Hargreaves it the type of player United need in my opinion, but Bayern have lost Ballack, doubt they would want to lose Hargreaves too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hargreaves is a lot better than people give him credit for. he would be a good addition to any squad.

Where has all this credit for Hargreaves come from? One decent performance against an inept Portugal side? His workrate is great but he just loses the ball too much, yes a good squad player but I wouldn't like to see him try and fill the central midfield slot week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Where has all this credit for Hargreaves come from? One decent performance against an inept Portugal side? His workrate is great but he just loses the ball too much, yes a good squad player but I wouldn't like to see him try and fill the central midfield slot week in week out.

ummm... just because he hasn't played well on the international scene doesn't mean he hasn't put in some good performances... he does play for a club you know, one from Germany... a pretty big one out there i believe... so he must be doing something right.

stop listening to what the English press say, they hate him because he's Canadian anyway. watch the Bundesliga review on setanta the oddtime, he does good in my book.

in other news football365 quoting Ferguson as saying "fans will not be disappointed" if there are no signings made this Summer... :confused:

Did he say which fans? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Just wondering is the Celtic v Manu Game on the TV tonight ( apart from MUTV )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

quad_red wrote:
    He isn't Shearer slow but I never really considered him to be an especially pacey player.

You need to look at him again then.
    quad_red wrote:
    What did he get last season - 8/9 goals? Jol, a decent manager, doesn't seem to think much of him.

How many games did he play?
    quad_red wrote:
    Torres is an explosive talent and would bring something extra to the team.

The Torres deal is dead so whats the point in talking about him?
    quad_red wrote:
    What would Dafoe bring that Saha etc. couldn't?

A consistent strike rate, a goal poaching threat.They really are two different typesof player.
    I really like Saha but United are going to be short of goals with Ruud gone especially with the less than spectacular midfield they have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

pessimistic noises from this rte story
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0726/manunited.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Just wondering is the Celtic v Manu Game on the TV tonight ( apart from MUTV )
    TG4
    It's a very young side United have out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Good performance by a young United side. Evans at the back was outstanding I gotta say...didnt put a foot (or a head) wrong and got a goal from a corner to boot. Martin looked great (comfortable on both wings), dissapointed with Eagles a little. Rossi was okay.

Here's how I rated them out of 10

Foster - 8
    Evans - 9
    Brown - 7
    Evra - 7
    Bardsley - 7
    Martin - 8
    Eagles - 6
    Fletcher - 7
    Scholes - 8
    Richardson - 7
    Rossi - 7

Subs: Miller, Gibson, McShane (all Irish nice to see), Jones, Simpson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Fcuk didnt realise it was on the telly.

I thought Phil Bardsley was excellent last year and has huge potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If only this came to fruition.....get down on your knees and start praying people !

SIR ALEX Ferguson is in talks with Argentina World Cup star Javier Mascherano.

Fergie believes he has finally found the man to replace Roy Keane and Mascherano's agents arrived last night to discuss a move to Manchester United.

The defensive midfielder (above) is valued at £25million by Corinthians, but United are expected to make the Brazilian club an opening offer of £16m.

Advertisement

Mascherano, who was in outstanding form for his country in Germany, looked to be on the way to Real Madrid for £25m until the Spaniards pulled out following elections for a new club president - opening the door for United.

The investment company behind Corinthians bought Mascherano from River Plate for £10m two years ago and the key to the move is how much profit they want from his sale.

United are prepared to dig deep for Mascherano, described by Diego Maradona as "a monster of a player and destined for great things".

And at the age of 22 he will have a resale value if he moves on from Old Trafford, which is the kind of deal that appeals to the Glazer family who own United.

Chelsea had looked at him but instead went for Michael Ballack and John Obi Mikel, leaving United in pole position - a rarity in the current transfer market.

Sir Alex will also sign Michael Carrick in a £16m deal after Tottenham admitted defeat in their battle to keep the England midfielder.

Carrick has turned down a new contract offer worth £45,000 a week which would have trebled his wages at White Hart Lane.

That was the signal for Ferguson to make a third bid for him and negotiations are likely to be finalised before Carrick returns to pre-season training after his extended break following the World Cup.

Ferguson's two previous offers, which included John O'Shea and Mikael Silvestre as part of a player-plus-cash package, were turned down.

Losing Carrick has forced Spurs to put on hold plans to off-load Edgar Davids to his former club Ajax.

United have told Real Madrid to increase their £12m offer if they are serious about signing Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Real's second bid - £3m under United's valuation - is expected to be formally rejected today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

United are set to make a £16m bid for Corinthians' Argentina World Cup star Javier Mascherano. (Daily Mirror)

Mascherano and Carrick would be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

sprinkles wrote:
    Mascherano and Carrick would be fantastic.

i would love them to both sign, he's left it late if this is true about Mascherano! for the love of god let it be true!!!!

jobonar wrote:
    i would love them to both sign, he's left it late if this is true about Mascherano! for the love of god let it be true!!!!
    I wonder who he was looking at in italy. I doesn't look like there will be many other signings from the 4 clubs punished, maybe trez/viera and buffon from Juve but I can't see fergie getting any of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't see how we will be able to afford both, unless we get the 16 million for Ruud

Unearthly wrote:
    Can't see how we will be able to afford both, unless we get the 16 million for Ruud
    I was wondering why all the reports are saying that Fergie has to wait to sell ruud before buying. Surely the money the glaziers promised is still there. 25m from last year and then 25m for this year. We only spent a fraction of that last January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Maybe then there's only 25mil with most of it carried over from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't forget the 12 million we got for Obi one Kinobi

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is a bit odd alright that we have no purchased anyone. Mascheroni is now been mentioned again.
    I cannot see why we cannot get him for 10m with 10m for Defoe, in case that Ruud does eventually go but after reading what Fergie is saying I get the feeling he is trying to hold onto him now.

Unearthly wrote:
    Don't forget the 12 million we got for Obi one Kinobi
    That's a good point. We should have very healthy coffers and I really can't believe that Fergie is forced to wait to get money from Ruud's sale, unless it's a wage problem. In any case it's being left dangerously late.

• Advertisement

Guillem Ballague was on Sky Sports News last night saying that the deal was aas good as done but Fergie said on MUTV that they still were not offering enough. They increased their bid by "another two bob". I think hes as good as gone now. :(

Would like to see Mascherano arrive. The more tough Argies the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i'm starting to think that maybe fergie has something up his sleeve and thats why he is relaxed about the fact that he's made no signings..

there must be a reason why no body has arrived yet(apart from money or ruud or the debt) cos the money is there to spend according to fergie... maybe he knows something we dont?!

here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Id say the Carrick deal will resurrect and Ruud will go for a compromised fee of 13m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Disappointing to see RVN go for anything under the 15m mark IMO ! Actually *edit* disappointing to see him go at all ! But if he wants to go then SAF is right enough to get a right few quid for him. Real Madrids bids to date have been an insult :mad:

This lad Mascherano, cant honestly say I saw one Argie game from start to finish in the WC so I dont recall him :( But by all accounts hes TOTR?
    If hes half the tackler Heinze is....GET HIM IN !!!!! Dont think Carrick could do it all on his own...but with someone of a decent calibre beside him then we could be on a winner !

I thought Fergie had 25m to spend....another 12m from Obi plus whatever else he shifted. Dont forget hes got Fortune off the payroll and Miller is about to follow also once he finds a club.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

bucks73 wrote:
    Guillem Ballague was on Sky Sports News last night saying that the deal was aas good as done

He's a muppet.

He also said that torres called a press conference to say he was quitting madrid. How wrong was he. Even after the press conference, he was on talksport saying that the press conference was a smokescreen and that his transfer to Man U would still go ahead.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    This lad Mascherano, cant honestly say I saw one Argie game from start to finish in the WC so I dont recall him

The sign of a great DM.

In fairness you'd have to be maradonna to really stick out in that team but if you watch out for him he covers every inch of the park and is always back helping out his defence when needed. He'd be a great buy if we got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fergie must be up to somthing behind the scenes

even the papers dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Or maybe he actually only has <15mil pounds and needs to sell RvN before he can buy big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Real have announced that they have agreed terms with Utd for Ruud http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=406124&CPID=23&clid=186&lid=4161&title=Real+Madrid+claim+Ruud+accord
    RTE claimed it was £15m

Yep its done, just heard on fivelive.

Mike.

MADRID, July 27 (Reuters) - Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy will join Real Madrid from Manchester United on a three-year contract, the Primera Liga club said on Thursday.

The deal is reported to be worth around 15 million euros ($19.12 million) for the 30-year-old striker, who scored 150 goals in 219 appearances since joining United for a then British record fee of 19 million pounds ($35.39 million) in 2001.

He is Real's third signing this week following on from Italy defender Fabio Cannavaro and Brazil midfielder Emerson, and will link up with former Manchester United team mate David Beckham at the Bernabeu.

Van Nistelrooy put in a transfer request two weeks ago and both Real and Bayern Munich have been competing to secure his services for next season.

Mike.

dor83 wrote:
    Real have announced that they have agreed terms with Utd for Ruud http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=406124&CPID=23&clid=186&lid=4161&title=Real+Madrid+claim+Ruud+accord
    RTE claimed it was £15m

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

sprinkles wrote:
    Surely the money the glaziers promised is still there. 25m from last year and then 25m for this year. We only spent a fraction of that last January.

When exactly was it promised by the Glaziers? It was just media talk (propaganda) IIRC. The Glazier family have never come out and said there'll be a £25m PA transfer budget. In fact the way this close season's gone so far smacks of United having to sell (Ruud) before they buy.

ummm... just because he hasn't played well on the international scene doesn't mean he hasn't put in some good performances... he does play for a club you know, one from Germany... a pretty big one out there i believe... so he must be doing something right.

stop listening to what the English press say, they hate him because he's Canadian anyway. watch the Bundesliga review on setanta the oddtime, he does good in my book.

I thought the international scene was where good players showed their stuff? (for the record I have seen him play for his club - Bayern Munich [the one you couldn't think of :P ] and he, imo, is distinctly average)

Who says I'm "listening to the English press"? Where did I even mention it? I've seen Hargreaves play mumerous times - for both club and country - and he's a sloppy player. Energetic, industrious but a poor passer who gives the ball away too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

rumours abound that Carrick will sign tomorrow for £17M....

• Advertisement
Advertisement