Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

SteM wrote:
    When exactly was it promised by the Glaziers? It was just media talk (propaganda) IIRC. The Glazier family have never come out and said there'll be a £25m PA transfer budget. In fact the way this close season's gone so far smacks of United having to sell (Ruud) before they buy.
    Ive tackled this before. The media claimed 25m and the glaziers came out and said the manager would have any means necessary to make the signings he wanted. Either way that should mean there's money there to make new signings.

Iago wrote:
    rumours abound that Carrick will sign tomorrow for £17M....
    That's overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Mascherano rumours abound again, if either Mascherano or Carrick signs I'll be satisfied at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Defoe as a replacement for RVN is no replacement at all, and even that is only speculation. I'm a bit disappointed to be losing Ruud, I thought he might stay in the end.

This Mascherano talk is encouraging - he would arguably be the best signing I could think of - but I seriously doubt it, I'd heard Milan were interested in him and it would be a very big signing to come out of essentially nowhere. In any case he won't be gotten for anywhere near £10m.

Yeah I'm not fond of Defoe, I'd rate Saha and Smith above him any day...would Milan go for Mascherano? They seem pretty well supplied in midfield...but when has that stopped them before?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Iago wrote:
    rumours abound that Carrick will sign tomorrow for £17M....

any sources for that? this even seems like good news at this stage.

but thinking about it...if Ruud goes for 12m or less -

is Carrick and 5-7m worth Ruud regardless of the situation at OT - nope.

there's that Mikel money too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

is done.

17million.

Heard about Ruud deal on the telly there. 15m EUROS.

10.2m POUNDS.

Good luck to ya Ruud. One of the most single minded and clinical finishers I've ever seen. We were lucky to have him.

Carrick deal done? WTF where when???

Had to laugh at this
    'Spurs manager Martin Jol wants the Manchester United striker PLUS around £10million in cash for Carrick'.

from

http://www.football365.com/teams/tottenham_hotspur/story_189571.shtml

• Advertisement

yeah jeez, c'mon ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Aquos76 wrote:
    He's a muppet.

He also said that torres called a press conference to say he was quitting madrid. How wrong was he. Even after the press conference, he was on talksport saying that the press conference was a smokescreen and that his transfer to Man U would still go ahead.

I think Guillrm Balaque is great and he knows his stuff and there hardly ever wrong. I remember before beckham signed he said the week before that he would sign and it was almost done.

I still think Torres could still happen, he only has 2 years left and he will hardly sign a new contract, which means next season he will only have 1yr and could leave on a free?

Torres and Macherano would be 2 great signs and if we got either hargreaves or carrick it would be better again.

Maybe fergie is waiting for Ruud be sold so he will have more money to sign who he wants :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Taken from http://www.setanta.com/uk
    Manchester United have signed Michael Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur for Stg17 million. The EXCLUSIVE news was revealed on Setanta Sports programme The Hub on Thursday evening.

Carrick is set to finalise personal terms before being unveiled to the media at Old Trafford within the next 48 hours - the press conference is likely to take place before the weekend, however.

Setanta Sports understands that Carrick will move in a straight-cash deal, with no players moving in the opposite direction. The midfielder's desire to move to United is said to have forced Martin Jol into letting one of his prize assets leave North London.

Carrick is set to pen a five-year deal at Old Trafford once his medical is completed and terms are agreed, with no hitches expected at this stage.

United agreed a fee of Stg17m with Tottenham on Thursday after tracking the midfielder for the last couple of seasons. Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson sees Carrick, who was a member of England's World cup squad, as a replacement for Roy Keane.

The news will be a major boost for United's fans with Ruud van Nistelrooy all but completing his move to Real Madrid this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

17 million STERLING? And I thought Pennant was pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

It was bad enough dealing with the RVN sale...I heard the 15m price on the way home...then I just read here that the 15m was in Monopoly money...aka focking EUROS!! FFS!! They didnt do a very good job of holding out for the chunky fee they have been on about all week did they??

Then if the evening couldnt get any worse we spend 17 focking mill on Carrick !!! Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhh! Dont get me wrong, hes not a bad lad, but hes not worth that money and he certainly aint gonna get you goals from midfield, I think he might have scored once last season for Spurs :eek:

PLEASE let there be more to come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Wow, did not see that Carrick news. Sky is reporting that Ruud will have a medical at Madrid tomorrow.

• Advertisement

thats alot of money.2m short of what United paid for Ruud and 6m more then what we're selling Ruud for (though I think we wouldnt get that for him next year anyway so we had to sell for best price).

ah well, its a signing...and hopefully a good one

Nothing really about both stories on www.manutd.com , only specualtion about a move for Javier Mascherano. If we got him, Carrick and got Solskjaer and Smith fully fit we'd have some squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Best of luck to Ruud, when I think back to his first two seasons at OT, he was up there with the best strikers I have ever seen. An absolute machine. Hes going to a promising Real side where I would imagine he will win trophies, maybe not this year but it wont be long before Capello works his magic.

Thanks for the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i can see torres going to AC milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Trilla wrote:
    Nothing really about both stories on www.manutd.com , only specualtion about a move for Javier Mascherano. If we got him, Carrick and got Solskjaer and Smith fully fit we'd have some squad

Check again.Its definitely running the Ruud story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

The Old Man is on the news last night saying he saw the Real bid on Teletext and that 10m was way to low.

Next day: Real reveal they've agreed a fee of 10.2m sterling (15m euro) and that Ruud is having a medical in Spain tomorrow.

Cue, a stammered Utd statement saying a fee hadn't been agreed but Ruud was having a medical.

WHAT?

What sort of f**king farce is this? Since when does a player have a medical before terms are agreed between the clubs?

It's a pathetic charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day for United on the transfer front.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yup, very interesting, Utd are gonna blow 17mil on Carrick - the mind boggles O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Mascheranos agent was in manchester yesterday .maybe united will sign both(they need both)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

quad_red wrote:
    The Old Man is on the news last night saying he saw the Real bid on Teletext and that 10m was way to low.

Next day: Real reveal they've agreed a fee of 10.2m sterling (15m euro) and that Ruud is having a medical in Spain tomorrow.

Cue, a stammered Utd statement saying a fee hadn't been agreed but Ruud was having a medical.

WHAT?

What sort of f**king farce is this? Since when does a player have a medical before terms are agreed between the clubs?

It's a pathetic charade.

Agree it is looking bad, but it could be some kind of weird twisted double double bluff....from utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Surely Carrick can not be worth that much? Surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds a bit expensive if true.

another source

It looks like we're not going to get 15m for Ruud, so 10-12m maybe low but its somethin! Obi Mikel deal went for 12m and maybe Fegie was given a few more "bob" as he put it to spend.

So hopefully we will get Mascherano(13 - 17m) and Carrick(14-18m) for 27-35m. I think that would be a decent summer, by our latest standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No way will we get both. Absolutely no way.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I hope we get Mascherano then so, Carrick at that price is just nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

adox wrote:
    Tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day for United on the transfer front.;)
    About ****ing time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's still talk of Torres arriving on some united fora. Can't see that happening myself, the next few days will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think United have been dicked this time around in the transfer market.

Carrick is way overpriced as are most semi-decent English players but no one can argue whether or not to buy him, it's obvious to all that United need a midfielder. Tottenham know that Carrick isn't worth 17 million to most teams but he is to Utd in their current position.

Van Nist is going way too cheap for the opposite reason, everyone knows Utd need to get rid of him. A very public falling out with the manager, an accepted transfer request. Fergies not kidding anyone when they say they'd be happy to have him stay. I think they were way to obvious about the fact they were going to sell him.

Now for the good news:
    Carrick isn't worth 17 milion but he's ok. RVN, United can do without. They had the(joint...no the other kind) meanest attack in the league last year largely without RVN and there's no reason why this can't be repeated. I think the Saha/Rooney combination is excellent and if they stay fit they'll score a load, IMO Torres is not needed at this point and would be a foolish 25million.
    Also if the last wet dream happens and United get Maschreano then they'll be a full team. A lot will still depend on how Carrick and Mascherano(more so as he's untested in the premiership) get on but if they do well then United will bve the complete unit for the first time in a few years.
    Then again Mascherano could be one of those dodgy post world cup signings, is he really good?? who knows anything about him???? Kleberson???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

ruud has signed a three year contract with real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Mascherano is incredibly good, Carrick is good but its the inter premiership price that makes it a bad deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Its been confirmed United will sign Carrick later today for 18million...

18million for a player Spurs payed just 2.75million only 2 years ago.. What a profit.. Theres something critically wrong with Uniteds scouting system if this is the way they are going for now on..
    No way in hell is Carrick worth 18million.. Take 10 million off that and maybe thats a more accurate price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

sprinkles wrote:
    Ive tackled this before. The media claimed 25m and the glaziers came out and said the manager would have any means necessary to make the signings he wanted. Either way that should mean there's money there to make new signings.

Yes, the media claimed the £25m. Do you believe everything you read? IIRC the Glaziers never said what you have cliamed - it was a 'source' from within the club or Gill (although if you can prove me wrong then please do). Gill is the man who also said there would be signings before the World Cup so i don't always believe him.

Do you not find it strange that there are such strong rumors that the Carrick deal is defo going through the day after Ruud was sold? Seems like a club relying on a sale to buy rather than owners pledging £25m per year to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

United's affairs off the park are being run by weak men.

On one hand we have Ruud going to Real (Who haven't been afraid to spend millions in years gone by) for money which doesn't reflect his ability to score goals. On the other we are paying way TOO MUCH money for Carrick.

Everybody know's we're payin too much for Carrick except it would seem those who hold the cheque book.

I also read somewhere that Real were going to be paying Ruud's fee in 3 installments. Tell them to f**k off and try to structure a deal with Bayern instead or any other club in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

no details about any fee yet so calm down - we only know what Utd had turned down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

sad to see Ruud go but we all knew it was coming.... Best of luck too him!

its good to see that were about to make some moves and sign some players! hope thses rumours about Mascherano dont go away would love to see him at the club and i think he would compliment Carrick well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Farewell to Ruud.
    I was looking at his montage of goals there on SSN and he was savage wasnt he? anyway, I think he'll score goals for fun in Madrid with beckham being the supplier.

Carrick is a little expensive but at this stage he'll be a good addition. I'd love to see Mascherano sign for us aswell but its highly unlikely that we'll spend
    20-25m after buying Carrick for 17-18.

Do you' think Fergie will bring in another CM player aswell? Also what did you' think of his comment about trying to sign different types of players that will bring variation to the team? I hope he doesnt mean signing some freakshow like peter Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I hope he doesnt mean signing some freakshow like peter Crouch.

Jesus I hope not. Any signings have to be able to play football to some kind of decent standard. Now Dean Ashton I wouldnt mind. Miles better than the other goon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Please god let us sign Mascherano. If by the start of the season we had Carrick, Mascherano and Dean Ashton/Jermain Defoe I would be content. Not over the moon but certainly would ive me reason to be optimistic.

I think Carrick on his own isn't enough. I think him and mascherano will bring the best out in each other as far as competition for places goes.

I was seriously impressed by mascherano in the World cup. I don't think he is the perfect partner for Carick but he is the perfect partner for Scholes/Rooney. He is the next Makelele. Never grabs any headlines but he works his socks off. I understand what people are saying about him being unproven in the premiership but I think the fact that United already have an Argy in the side, particularly one as influential as Gabby, it may be tilt the odds in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Breaking news:

United pay 16 million to stop O'Shea in midfield.

Personally I'm happy :)

Let's hope this momentum builds now, Ruud sadly moves on, he is replaced by somebody top quality or else we buy another top class midfielder.

Personally, if Ruud didn't leave, I'd be very happy with the squad we have now, but since he is going to leave, I think well need more depth in midfield to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All it would take is 1 long term injury o either Saha and Rooney and panick bells will be ringing.

link
    Milan are ready to make a fresh bid for Atletico Madrid symbol Fernando Torres, reports in Italy are insisting.

The Via Turati club are now focusing on signing new players following the Calciopoli verdicts and netting a partner for 22-year-old Alberto Gilardino is their primary objective.

The Rossoneri are keen on finding a new striker to replace Andriy Shevchenko, who left the club for Chelsea before the World Cup Finals.

Torres has recently stated that he wishes to stay with the Colchoneros despite interest from numerous clubs all around Europe.

The Madrid outfit have already refused a £25.7m offer from Manchester United which shattered their dream of seeing Torres in action alongside Wayne Rooney.

Torres has been eyed by Milan since he was 17 and, if UEFA confirm their participation in the Champions League, the Rossoneri may immediately start negotiations with the Spanish club.

Obviously the chance of CL this season has boosted their spirits and are looking at replacing Shev. If they get him I'll be massively disappointed. United simply cannot miss out on aother top class player like they did with ronaldinho. Torres would add another exciting prospect to our attack and he's still a baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Unearthly wrote:
    All it would take is 1 long term injury o either Saha and Rooney and panick bells will be ringing.

Being honest I don't think utd would miss saha too much. If rooney was to get injured it would be a massive blow. But if you look at any good team there is generaly one player who is irriplaceable. Liverpool - Gerard,
    Arsenal - Henry, Barcelona - Ronaldihno. Take these players out of those teams and they suddenly don't perform as well as they usually do.

Traditionaly Utd didn't have out and out strikers like Van Nistlerooy, and instead of one player scoring 25+ goals a season utd used to score from all over the pitch. Especially in the days of Irwin, Pally and Bruce. They used to get 15-20 goals from there defenders alone. I think if a team gets a very creative midfield they have the ability to creat chances that any striker can score.

The fact of the matter is that Utd scored more freely last season without Van Nistlerooy in the team than with. I love the guy think he is the ultimate professional and a fantastic player but I don't think his style suits United traditional style of play. I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

AthAnRi wrote:
    Being honest I don't think utd would miss saha too much. If rooney was to get injured it would be a massive blow. But if you look at any good team there is generaly one player who is irriplaceable. Liverpool - Gerard,
    Arsenal - Henry, Barcelona - Ronaldihno. Take these players out of those teams and they suddenly don't perform as well as they usually do.

Traditionaly Utd didn't have out and out strikers like Van Nistlerooy, and instead of one player scoring 25+ goals a season utd used to score from all over the pitch. Especially in the days of Irwin, Pally and Bruce. They used to get 15-20 goals from there defenders alone. I think if a team gets a very creative midfield they have the ability to creat chances that any striker can score.

The fact of the matter is that Utd scored more freely last season without Van Nistlerooy in the team than with. I love the guy think he is the ultimate professional and a fantastic player but I don't think his style suits United traditional style of play. I

Well said there, man. I believe we'll cope fine without Ruud. Hopefully all the defenders can pitch in. His departure could be a blessing in disguise. With that said, of course, he will be a big miss, but I think we've let him go at the right time.

Well said there, man. I believe we'll cope fine without Ruud. Hopefully all the defenders can pitch in. His departure could be a blessing in disguise. With that said, of course, he will be a big miss, but I think we've let him go at the right time.
    as do I but I also thisnk he needs replacing. Rooney's a certain to start and I have great admiration for Saha and Smith but we need a fourth and Ole prob won't regain his best and Rossi would be better out on loan playing every game.

I think another striker, although not our pressing priority, should be addressed if not now then certainly in january.

• Advertisement
Advertisement