Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

AthAnRi wrote:
    Being honest I don't think utd would miss saha too much.

I disagree. If Saha were to be injured close to the start of the season, we are essentially left with one striker. Smith is still injured (and hasn't played up front in ages anyway), Rossi would have to be a revelation to fill in adequately, as would that Dong chap, and Olé is past it IMO. There is no one good enough to partner Rooney up front other than Saha, so 4-5-1 might be the only option. Not only does that go against United's traditional instincts, and indeed Rooney's (as the World Cup proved), but I don't think we even have enough midfielders to play that way.

We need another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dong cant play in PL yet I dont think (cas of work permit....

so at the mo whats our best eleven?

VDS
    -Neville---Rio----Brown/Vidic
    Heinze-
    -C. Ron---Carrick---Scholes
    Giggsy--

Rooney---Saha/Smith

Leaving:

Brown/Vidic
    Saha/Smith
    Foster
    O Shea
    Silvestre
    Evra
    Bardsley
    Fletcher
    Park
    Jones
    Gibson
    Richarson
    Rossi
    Solskjaer
    Steele

Hopefully Mascherano will be added soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

sprinkles wrote:
    Obviously the chance of CL this season has boosted their spirits and are looking at replacing Shev. If they get him I'll be massively disappointed. United simply cannot miss out on aother top class player like they did with ronaldinho. Torres would add another exciting prospect to our attack and he's still a baby

I'd prefer to see UTD sign Mascherano than Torres. I think Torres is amazing and had been hoping UTD would sign him for the last few years but we badly need more quality in the centre of the park. We were overrun in midfield in many matches last year - particularly in the CL and we badly need to improve here. Imagine what Rooney would do with regular quality ball from the midfield instead of living off scraps!

Still hoping we can sign them both though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Unearthly wrote:
    All it would take is 1 long term injury o either Saha and Rooney and panick bells will be ringing.

That would be worrying but Ole appears to have recovered from his injury. I think Fergie will give Rossi the chance to claim a regulary starting place in teh first half of the upcoming season so I would not be surprised if Ruud were not replaced by another striker . I would like to see another midfielder in but I can't see that happening either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Thanks Ruud for the goals. Now I hope he fails miserably at Real. Fact is that we had to let him go, he put in a transfer request and didnt want to be at United any more and he only wanted Real. Plus the United attack was much more fluid last year when Saha was playing.
    As for Carrick, sure 17mil sounds too much but we didnt have much choice in the matter. We need to rebuild the midfield and this is a start. Now if we can get Mascherano, that would be a great move. Fergie said on MUTV that we were in for Gattuso if Milan's penalty was not reduced. Pity we couldnt get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

FatherTed wrote:
    Thanks Ruud for the goals. Now I hope he fails miserably at Real.

That's f**king harsh. I've never seen a more clinical finisher for Utd. He was a fantastic player for us, EXACTLY the kind of striker you need when your back is against the wall etc.

I wish him all the best, as would most normal Utd fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fact is that we had to let him go, he put in a transfer request and didnt want to be at United any more and he only wanted Real.

Oh come the **** on, if you gave him the choice 6 months ago of what club he wanted to be at, he would have said Man Utd till he retired.
    The man loved the club and the fans loved him. Fergie forced him out.

I trust Fergie, I'm sure somehow he has made the right decision, but I want to see Ruud lift La Liga next year, and if Neville can't lift the CL for us, I hope Ruud lifts it for Real, cause he deserves it.

Mascherano/Torres are dreamworld signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

PHB wrote:
    Just shows how far UTD have fallen, 4 years ago we could pretty much have signed anyone we wanted - it all started with Ronaldinho:D

£15-18 mill for Carrick is just nutz - why utd started with an initial £10 million bid I dont know, they should have started at £5 mill and worked up from there...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Very disappointed to see Ruud leave but I trust Fegie knows what he's doing, he's never been afraid to rid of big-time players before. Carrick signing is good, the midfield looks a little more balanced now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

as a spurs fan i will very sad to see carrick leave.

regardless of the price, you are getting a absolute gem of a player who can make a yard for himself better than anyone in the prem, and pick out passes. though u must give him time to settle, took him 6months before we saw the best of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    Oh come the **** on, if you gave him the choice 6 months ago of what club he wanted to be at, he would have said Man Utd till he retired.

I trust Fergie, I'm sure somehow he has made the right decision, but I want to see Ruud lift La Liga next year, and if Neville can't lift the CL for us, I hope Ruud lifts it for Real, cause he deserves it.

Ferguson said it himself that Ruud has asked to leave 3 times already. HE asked before the FA Cup final against Arsenal last year and again before that. I think SAF coud have done alot more in trying to persuade him into staying, but his mind was made so i dont think he was forced out. The last year and half he didn't look interested to be honest. I'm glad he has gone to Real, hopefully he does well. I think this season we will strugle to score goals no doubt. £18million for carrick is a joke, we could have got Diarra or Macherano prob with a couple more million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

PHB wrote:

As I said, I appreciated all he did for United. Great goalscorer but his time was up. Now he is not a United player, plus I hate Madrid so goes my sentiment. I said the same when Keane left, thanks for the memories, now f-off. Country first, then Club. Player fandom is somewhere way down my list.

Sad to see ruud go but I think it's right for the team. I believe United have had the best years of Ruud's career. As little devil said above he has not looked the best in the past year (I would say two). While his scoring rate is still high the rest of his game has been poor by his standards. I said here last year that I thouht Ruud would be sold my reasoning then was , if you think back to january 2005 Ruud was out through injury United were top of the league and in great form. Ruud came back from injury and we fell away. I believe that was the begining of the end for him at United. If it's true that he asked for a transfer last summer his heart was no longer in it and he should have been sold then.

I wish him all the best he will always be held in high esteem by united fans for his scoring record. I'm sure he is relishing teaming up with Beckham again, If they can rekindle the understanding they had at United and Beckham can give him the service he once did Ruud could be a very successful signing for Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

A few rumours circulating that the Glazers overruled Fergie and told him to accept Madrid's offer, as they didn't want to risk losing whatever they could get now by holding out. A bargain for Madrid, I think, whereas Carrick, good and all as he may be (and I'm not completely convinced) is over valued by a good £6-8 million, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

As much as I've always disliked Madrid, I want to see Ruud do well. Thanks for the memories...

I see Carlos Tevez from Corinthians is being linked with a move to Manu. I was looking forward to seeing him and macheranon play in the world cup as hear so much and how good they all are. I thought macherano was class and would be a great signing, but Tevez i thought was disappointing and not worth the £25million they all say he is worth. I hope its just more paper talk from the press filling there pages with rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sky Sports News breaking news...fee agreed with Spurs with Carrick. Fee to follow.

They also had a press conference with Ruud and he admitted he felt unwanted after being dropped for cup final and manager had sided with other player after a disagreement.

Why the hell didnt Real buy the baby instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Thank you Ruud!

Michael, you have a big act to follow.

In judging the 2 signings against each other, it has been a bad day for us I think! Maybe that's just sentiment though.

• Advertisement

It looked like there were thousands in the Bernabeu to welcome him. They know they have a class act. Fcukin ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Carrick in takes the sting out of the Ruud sale. Will there be more signings?

Ideally I would like to see a left sided player, attacking midfielder and a striker come in. However Saha, Rooney, SMith, Solksjaer and Rossi isnt a bad front line so id settle for left sided midfielder (duff....) and an attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Saw the footage on Sky of Ruud in his Real shirt. Sad, sad day. :(

Saw the footage on Sky of Ruud in his Real shirt. Sad, sad day. :(

Yeah pretty sad alright but Im confident we can get by. Goodbye Ruud, best of luck until you meet United in CL!

Ideally I would like to see a left sided player, attacking midfielder and a striker come in. However Saha, Rooney, SMith, Solksjaer and Rossi isnt a bad front line so id settle for left sided midfielder (duff....) and an attacking midfielder.

I'm with you on the attacking midfielder (Scholes cant play all games, Rossi still raw, and I hate seein Rooney droppin really deep) but ML we're fairly okay. Ronaldo,Giggs, Park and Evra (I know I know!!) can all play there.

On the right seems a bit weak - Ronaldo, Park and Fletcher(I know I know!!).

Personally, if we can get a player like Mascherano or Reo Coker to play CM I'd be happy.

Love to see Smith back early and in banging form - competition for places up front is want we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

bucks73 wrote:
    It looked like there were thousands in the Bernabeu to welcome him. They know they have a class act. Fcukin ridiculous decision.
    Could not agree with you more tbh, and for some people to suggest that the team is worse with him in it, is actually bordering on the ridiculous. He was a goal machine and guarenteed to net you 20+ a season, Manu will miss him. I, for one, am glad to see him go (for his sake) and look forward to the day when we don't see him togged out in a Manu shirt at Anfield!:p

Towards the end of last season ferguson was told and there were rummors that he had £30million to spend in the summer. We got £16million John Obi Mikel, which was great but id still have liked him to stay and now we get £10million for Ruud transfer. In total Manu should have a transfer budget of £56million, but if you take away the signing of Carrrick plus the transfer fee of around say £16million, that should leave us with £40million left.

I think that money would be well spent on Torres and maybe macherano. Im sure the galzers couild find the extra cash from somewhere? I can't see us signing Reo Coker from west ham until next season when we might get him for £18million and not the £8 or £10mill you might get him for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well the Obi Mikel money is 12million with only 6mil upfront.

Do you honestly still believe in Utd's mystical £25mil+ kitty? I'd be surprised if they had more than £10mil to rub together after the Carrick transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

bucks73 wrote:
    My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

Strong rumors coming out of Spain that we're signing Marcos Senna from Villarreal

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=406397&plid=14024&clid=1&cpid=8

30 years of age but seems like the sort of character that we'd need in midfield alongside Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

that should leave us with £40million left.

Not a hope in hell of that sort of money being available IMO.

Whats Senna like? I havent seen that much of him.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    Strong rumors coming out of Spain that we're signing Marcos Senna from Villarreal

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=406397&plid=14024&clid=1&cpid=8

30 years of age but seems like the sort of character that we'd need in midfield alongside Carrick.

I hope these are just rummors as i saw him play a few times in last season and thought he was over rated myself. I saw him agaisnt arsenal in the champions league and young fabregas ran the show over him.

I don't think Manutd have £40million im really just going on what you read in the papers and hear say. If it were all true:rolleyes: then if we did sign Sienna for £10million that would leave us with £30million to sign Torres:)

Whats Senna like? I havent seen that much of him.

Was he not banned for some drug offence? He is 30 so does not fit the age profile for the club in the long term. Thats not to say he will not be purchased as a short term signing may be whats needed to allow some of the younger lads come through. I understand he is a tough tackling midfielder , united definitely need one of those at the moment

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Senna is a good player. Very robust and versatile - good all-rounder and he'd partner either Carrick or Scholes well.

The Muppet wrote:
    Was he not banned for some drug offence? He is 30 so does not fit the age profile for the club in the long term. Thats not to say he will not be purchased as a short term signing may be whats needed to allow some of the younger lads come through. I understand he is a tough tackling midfielder , united definitely need one of those at the moment

His age wouldnt bother me. I doubt we have much money left but we definitely need another CM so id be happy to see a good solid player come in, even if only for 2/3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what a bad buy Senna would be
    i really hope its just newspaper talk

yeah he's not great....at all! poor buy. I'd say its just transfer spec in tabloids. United will prob go for a GK (I dunno why) and that will be the end of summer transfers. I hope I'm wrong though!

Seems crazy to me that we would spend money on a GK when we have Foster. Admittedly its a great chance for him to get a season of Prem football under his belt at Watford but times are hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I havent read the Senna talk in the paper but it sounds likely.

If you think back to the matches United had against Villareal last season, Senna was easily the best player on the pitch in Spain and was excellent at Old Trafford.

Ferguson has a long history of buying players who played well against his clubs, so I think its a very good option.

Senna is first rate from what I've seen of him in the 5/6 games I've seen him play in.

I'd be happy enough if we were to sign Senna, he's a decent enough player and just what we need really. He kept Fabregas out of the Spanish side for a while, so he can't be that bad, although definitely not the long term solution. Ideally Mascherano would come but that is really unlikely to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Vieira would be as cheap as Senna though, and he has already proven himself in the prem

• Advertisement

In an interview after Preston defeat, Fergie was asked if anymore players will be arriving.
    He said
    We're working hard on one or two things

ON being asked for names he replied
    I'm giving nothin away, my wife doesnt even know!

He also said Carrick will be offically a United player Tuesday or Wednesday.
    I've a sneaky feelin he'll make a move for Vieira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Vieira is mulling over a contract offer from Inter and is gonna make a decision by Monday. Utd would need to move quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sure, do a Chelsea and get Vieira/Senna/Mascherano/Diarra and Riquelme :)

astrofool wrote:
    Sure, do a Chelsea and get Vieira/Senna/Mascherano/Diarra and Riquelme :)

I think Mascherano would be the choice out of that bunch...ah who knows what United are at. but by the looks of things expect one or two more signings, with that West Brom GK being one of them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Senna only has a year left on his contract... so he'd be cheaper I would think.

Villareal are probably fairly happy United's interest lies seemingly with Senna and not Riquelme.

So who are these 2 players Fergie is looking to sign?

Its got to be a CM and a FC...although he may be still trying to sign West Broms GK still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Mascherano is one.

Torres was ruled out. I'd ay we'll be getting some striker for about the 9/10million mark.

Someone in the same range as Defoe. But, not actually Defoe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Would have preffered Requilme myself! What do you's think about it a sneaky move move for Recoba? I'd love to see him at United....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Recoba would be a superb signing. I'd love to see him make the move but can't see it happening tbh.

Advertisement