Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

look lads... Carrick is decent, and will be in a team with good players around him. He's done alright up to now. I'm happy with the signing, especially with the realistic targets that were available (next to none - dont start spittin out names cas most from Italy wont move to Manchester, Reo Coker wasnt for sale, Mascherano no word on that deal etc etc).

The only problem is that he was overpriced, which cant be helped. 15-16m is alot for carrick, and with the fee possibly goin as far as 18.5....yeah its alot. But give him a chance.

Veron was a flop at United, its hardly gonna happen again. Carrick can be a really good player at United...time is gonna tell.

I'm not overally happy bout Senna possibly comin, but at 6m yoyos it will be a good deal to makin squad stronger. He's not the long term solution to Roy Keane, and imo neither is Micheal Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If essien heard of manutd interest's he may ask for a transfer, jose of all people said that anyone unhappy would be aloud to leave.

Eh what planet are you on? United were in for Essien when Chelsea were in for him, he chose Chelsea. Why would he move to United know? He has secured his position at Chelsea, and has the future midfield duo of him and Obi Mikel.

Chelsea will not sell any decent player to United until we are no longer a threat to them, stop being silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree with Sizzler about Neville. I wouldn't say he is world class and i would rate Finnan and probably Eboue just ahead of him. I think neville is quite the sleeply chap when playing football. I think he was at fault for the benfica goal in the CL last season and not ferdinand. I would say that Zambrotta, Heinze and Cole are the best left backs in the world.

I hope Carrick proves eveyone wrong when he starts playing and hopfully doesn't take long to settle in. I think Manu are settling for second best when it comes to buying players theses days. We should be going and signing players like Torres, Macherano, Jaoquin, Kaka if they come available. Manu are a club in decline and have being for the last 5 years since we won the treble. Roy Keane said it himself after we won that, fergie should have gone and bought three or four world class players. I would have liked to see us try and buy Essien from Chelsea for £20million, i said before they bought him he was brilliant and the world cup proved it, chelsea play him out of position, maybe next season though. The papers say that Lampard, Cole, Essien, Robben, Ballack and Makelele turned manu down for chelsea and that is for 2 reasons.

1) Manu would'nt pay the BIG transfer fees, but chelsea would.
    2) Manu wouldn't would the BIG wages but chelsea would.

I can't see manutd finshing any higher then 5th this season and anyone who thinks they will finish second or third is kidding them selfs.

Ronaldo will go to spain next season and Rooney wont be far behind if Fergie and Glazers dont stop signing second rate players who are'nt good enought for manu.
    Where to start on that post....

Ronaldo to leave next season, Rooney to leave in two? Can I have a peek at your crystal ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well considering Ronaldo asked to leave this season i wouldnt be suprised. A potential season of no trophies and a torrent of abuse at every away ground he visits might just do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i wouldnt be suprised if he gets it at home for a game or two as well

TheMonster wrote:
    Firstly Carrick is not solely a defensive midfielder. He is an all orund midfielder

I certainly wouldnt call him an all round midfielder. Hes a poor man's Alonso. H will sit back and pull the strings in midfield. He wont be rushing forward getting goals.

Gerrard is the sort of player that would be classed as a complete midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not in most peoples books, nor in Rafa's. Gerrard is an attacking midfielder, while less attacking than someone like Lampard.

A good example of a complete midfielder is Essien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    Eh what planet are you on? United were in for Essien when Chelsea were in for him, he chose Chelsea. Why would he move to United know? He has secured his position at Chelsea, and has the future midfield duo of him and Obi Mikel.

Chelsea will not sell any decent player to United until we are no longer a threat to them, stop being silly.

I'm planet earth and being realistic about Manutd in decline, which apart from being an utd fans everyone has being saying it for years. I know Manu were in for essien before he went to Chelsea, the only reason he chose them was because utd weren't willing to pay £26million for a midfielder and he was offered more money then he would have got at Manu. Manu have not made any offers for any Chelsea players so to turn around and say that they won’t sell is being stupid. If Manu offered the right amount money, they would snap there hands off, especially if the player is un-happy. ( I predict Essien Will leave Chelsea next season )

On Ronaldo leaving everyone knows its going to happen, just not this season. Rooney will leave if utd don’t starting challenging Chelsea for the league and challenging for the champions league this season. He's not going to sit around and wait for the all great youth players to come through in the next 2years. What I originally said was that unless Manu get there act together in buying top class players, he will leave and I wouldn’t blame him as he is ambitious and wants to win trophies and with his talent shouldn't being playing with usless players who depend on him each time. I hope Carrick proves people wrong and proves to be successful at utd, but not the midfielder we need.

Steven Gerrard is the complete midfielder. Lampard is a attacking midfielder like scholes, but lampard is over-rated. Makelele makes him look good week in week out, like keane did for scholes, but scholes proved he could do without keane there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I certainly wouldnt call him an all round midfielder. Hes a poor man's Alonso. H will sit back and pull the strings in midfield. He wont be rushing forward getting goals.

bit harsh, I dont think he's as good as Alonso, but he'll be good for United I'm hoping. He's not far off him.

Nah not quite, he's good...really good. but not a complete midfielder. If ya were to put Essien with a bit of Scholes/Lampard in him, that would be a complete midfielder. Nothin to take away from Gerrard though...sure Roy Keane was the best midfielder I ever saw but he wasnt a complete midfielder either (very close though).

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Not in most peoples books, nor in Rafa's. Gerrard is an attacking midfielder, while less attacking than someone like Lampard.

A good example of a complete midfielder is Essien

He is as close to a complete midfielder in the premiership as you can get.

Complete midfielder doesnt mean the best. It meas he can attack nearly as good as he can defend. He would be a better attacker, but still an excellent defender.

Calling him a attacking mid puts him in with scholes, lampards etc. Hes a much better defender then these 2 players. So thats the reason i think he is close to being a complete midfielder. Essien is the other one i can think of in the premiership.

Trilla wrote:
    bit harsh, I dont think he's as good as Alonso, but he'll be good for United I'm hoping. He's not far off him.

Nah not quite, he's good...really good. but not a complete midfielder. If ya were to put Essien with a bit of Scholes/Lampard in him, that would be a complete midfielder. Nothin to take away from Gerrard though...sure Roy Keane was the best midfielder I ever saw but he wasnt a complete midfielder either (very close though).

PHB and Gracehopper, can you tell me what makes a complete midfielder in your views so if you "Steven Gerrard" is not that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Makelele makes him look good week in week out, like keane did for scholes, but scholes proved he could do without keane there.

when did scholes prove this exactly during the half a season of injury he had after keane left?

when did scholes prove this exactly during the half a season of injury he had after keane left?

Eh....the season keane did his ligaments against leeds. Paul Scholes was great that season and we nearly won the league. But i dont just mean in one season, there has being times when keane was injured and scholes was the main midfielder and everything went through him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Scholes is a great asset to any team. He is not a midfield general but a great
    compliment to any sound midfield partner.

Now I dont know if he is past it yet but I'd still have difficulty choosing between
    him and say some player like Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Carrick wears no 16 shirt after passing a medical...big "shirt to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Carrick has completed his medical he will be unveiled as a united player at a press conference on Wednesday.

BTW he is to be given the Number 16 shirt, thats a mighty big shirt to fill..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sizzler, Neville is undoubtedly a world class right back, and has been for many years. It's easy to scoff, because, well, he's Gary Neville. But look around the Premiership and the only competition he has is Eboue, Gallas and probably Finnan, only one of whom I would rate higher than Neville. Just look at the problems in both the United and the England side when he is missing to appreciate how important he is.

Heinze is probably the second best left back in the world after Zambrotta - regardless of 'attention', nobody really rates Roberto Carlos that highly anymore.
    Of course Carlos aint rated highly anymore, thats cos hes had his stint at the top, fair to say hes had his best years but the point was he was in recognised bracket of constant accolades of being pure quality. Neville has never been in the bracket! You're looking around the premiership for competition to stack him up against, yeah theres not much there to rival him apart from Finnan perhaps, even Ferreira in his first season with Chelsea would be better.

Its not a Neville bashing match but lets face it hes positional play can be dire and hes always the first to look around at other people when we lose a goal or when someone beats him.

My original point was on the face of it Utd at the moment would not have the appeal of say a Barca or Real Madrid would they when it comes to star names.

Disappointing but hey with the few signings en route Im prepared to believe anything is possible this season :D

The Muppet wrote:
    Carrick has completed his medical he will be unveiled as a united player at a press conference on Wednesday.

BTW he is to be given the Number 16 shirt, thats a mighty big shirt to fill..

Cant see too many Utd fans going out to buy a Utd shirt with Carrick emblazoned across the back of the number 16! No offence Michael but that shirt is legendary and prob should have been retired :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Sizzler wrote:
    Cant see too many Utd fans going out to buy a Utd shirt with Carrick emblazoned across the back of the number 16! No offence Michael but that shirt is legendary and prob should have been retired :D
    rubbish,a shirts a shirt,simple as that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I love this attitude people have nowadays that if we aren't signing the big european players we are in decline. Can anyone point to a period where we ever bought the big players in europe and actually competed with Milan, Madrid, Barca, Juve for a players signature? Seba Veron is the only player I can think of that was really highly rated in europe when we signed him.

Signing Carrick is basically what we've been doing all along, buying the best available in england e.g. Keane, Cole, Ferdinand, Rooney

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    rubbish,a shirts a shirt,simple as that;)
    So you will be buying one then ?

Personal taste, I wouldnt.

Sizzler wrote:
    So you will be buying one then ?

Personal taste, I wouldnt.

Should they retire the no 10 as well ? they be running out of numbers if they were to follow that policy. It's certainly a vote of confidence in Carrick to give him the 16 though. It also means that there will not be a higher profile midfielder arriving .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sizzler wrote:
    Rubbish. I don't think football teams should retire numbers to honour players regardless of how good they were. If after a couple of seasons Carrick proves to be a great success at United then I'm sure that there are plenty of people who'll be wearing it.

If you retired every number that was passed from a true great to a supposedly inferior player there would barely be a single digit shirt number left in use in the league today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I think it was probably a good idea to give him the number. 6 months is enough for it to be vacant. The longer you leave a number like that idle the bigger a deal it gets.

The Muppet wrote:
    Should they retire the no 10 as well ? they be running out of numbers if they were to follow that policy. It's certainly a vote of confidence in Carrick to give him the 16 though. It also means that there will not be a higher profile midfielder arriving .

Fair point boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It was a similar situation when Rooney adopted Nicky Butt's number 8 shirt...

The Muppet wrote:
    Not necessarily. If the right deal came up for someone, it's not as if SAF would turn him down just because he gave away the number 16.

Considering the events of this summer in the market, though, I highly doubt a midfielder with a huge profile will be joining Man U

Considering the events of this summer in the market, though, I highly doubt a midfielder with a huge profile will be joining Man U

I agree, but I believe united are trying to sign two more players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

retiring shirts?.by god if that was the case the no.7 shirt would have been long retired after the king retired,mr man utd the inspiration.

look whats wearing the no.7 now the little b*tch.

• Advertisement

Yup I'd say so too, but I doubt that these signings (probably Senna and Kuszcak imo) will exceed the profile etc. of Carrick

hawker27 wrote:
    retiring shirts?.by god if that was the case the no.7 shirt would have been long retired after the king retired,mr man utd the inspiration.

look whats wearing the no.7 now the little b*tch.

Yeah it's an American "phenomenom" isn't it? Basketball teams etc. retiring jerseys to honour their players, the only reason they haven't run out of numbers in these sports is that the numbers range from 00-99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

The Muppet wrote:
    I agree, but I believe united are trying to sign two more players.

Any potential names or positions to throw out there?

SteM wrote:
    Any potential names or positions to throw out there?

Senna appears to be very probable and I would not totally rule out the possibility of Tores arriving either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Vierra is now being linked again:
    http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/article697489.ece

Found this translation:

"Now I'm not sure where I'm playing next season, I'm still looking for a new club. There might be some sort of conclusion in the next 48 hours and it's a very important decision for me. I will not be playing for Juventus since they are going to Serie B.

Every player wants to play for a club like Manchester United at the highest level. But after nine years at Arsenal it might difficult. But everything can happen in football" said a smiling Vieira.

Rooney and Frazier Campbell with the goals, I didn't see much of a match report yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Yup I'd say so too, but I doubt that these signings (probably Senna and Kuszcak imo) will exceed the profile etc. of Carrick

Think the Kuszcak deal could be dead in the water. WBA were looking for cash and two players, one on loan and one permanent. Would be happy to see Senna joining and after that if they sign another attacker well and good. If not we still have Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer, Rossi and Smith to play up front. Also have Frazier Campbell coming through and Dong Fangzou potentially joining in December. But if they did sign someone else, id like to see Rossi go out on Championship loan in order to toughen up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The Muppet wrote:
    Senna appears to be very probable and I would not totally rule out the possibility of Tores arriving either.
    Fantasy land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

sprinkles wrote:
    Fantasy land

Not for Senna, he does look likely to come in.

• Advertisement

The Vieira stroy features prominently today in the press, note though that all the quotes are coming from him, sounds like a bit of fishing to me, he obviously just wants out of Juve. Will SAF have the balls to go get him? Theres figures of 6m being touted, now that WOULD be a bargain.

Unfortunately also we are being linked with Dirk Kuyt who has the stigma of his name rhyming with his playing style ;) His showing in the world cup was truly awful, dont do it Alex !

Sizzler wrote:

I think SAF giving Carrick the number 16 shirt is saying that he has no doubts that he has the ability to play for manu and is good enough regardless of what everyone ( including myself and papers ) has being saying over the last week or so. This will hopfully give carrick a BIG boost and its a smart move by fergie, its not the first time he has done this either ( Ronaldo No: 7 ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

It's from the Mirror, so nuff said really....

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...name_page.html

1 August 2006
    ROMAN IN £30M BID FOR TORRES
    EXCLUSIVE
    By Alan Nixon

CHELSEA owner Roman Abramovich has jumped to the front of the queue for Spanish striker Fernando Torres - with a players-plus-cash deal worth more than £30million.

Abramovich wants the World Cup star to come to Stamford Bridge and lead his charge for Premiership and Champions League glory and has put his agents on the case.

It is sensational news as Abramovich prepares to buy a multi-million strike partner for Andriy Shevchenko but a bitter blow for Chelsea's other forwards - and big rivals Manchester United.

United chief Sir Alex Ferguson, already unhappy with Chelsea signing all of his top targets, will be devastated to discover that the champions have come in for another and made a late move out of the blue. However, Abramovich has been on Torres's trail for years and would not tolerate seeing him sign for United or European competitors Inter and AC Milan.

The Italians have been squabbling over the young Spaniard and between them have pushed the price up to £28m. United had budgeted to match that figure but could now be priced out of a deal. Chelsea are currently haggling with Atletico and their offer stands at cash plus Shaun Wright- Phillips and the choice of other squad players.

Didier Drogba - unhappy with the arrival of Shevchenko - could be thrown into the package as a ready-made replacement for Torres. The big Ivory Coast striker is not being pushed out by Chelsea but may end up being central to the deal. Torres had claimed last week that he would stay with Atletico for the rest of his contract, which has two years to run. However his advisers have been in contact with Chelsea over the past couple of days.

Signing Torres, the best target man around, to partner with Shevchenko will give Chelsea the most potent attack in Europe and also leave United desperately searching for alternatives.

SteM wrote:
    Not for Senna, he does look likely to come in.

Not fantasy for Tores either. United may not get him but they are definitely still trying to.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Could we be adding Torres's name to the ever growing list of players who have snubbed Man U in Favour of Chelski?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

this is a joke, mourinho doesnt even sign the players the chairman does

• Advertisement

Atlas_IRL wrote:

Well Chelsea is Romans real life Championsip Manager game.

That article is from the mirror, they would print anything to have a pop at united. Even if chelsea are in for him they may not get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

PHB and Gracehopper, can you tell me what makes a complete midfielder in your views so if you "Steven Gerrard" is not that?

First of all i'd like to say that gerrard is one of the best in the league. He's had some huge individual performances over the last few years. Not a complete midfielder but near enough. Roy Keane is the same and is probably as near to complete as they come. Either way both players are and were priceless for they're respective teams.
    gerrard is a player with loads of energy and heart and he'd tick the box for most of attributes for but he's not a playmaker like zidane, nedved, scholes or Ballack. If he is the complete midfielder why were hammann and alonso preferred to him in the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Juventus have confirmed a deal has been agreed to sell Patrick Vieira to Internazionale.

Vieira has been tipped to link up with Inter ever since Juventus were relegated to Serie B for their role in the Italian match-fixing scandal.

The midfield powerhouse has admitted he does not wish to play outside the top flight and has also intimated an interest in a move to Manchester United.

But Inter have been strong favourites to snap up the former Arsenal captain and a deal now finally appears close to completion.

The Old Lady's general manager Jean-Claud Blanc revealed the two clubs had settled on a fee for Vieira.

"Between both clubs, everything is sorted out now," Blanc told L'Equipe.

Inter are thought to be paying in the region of €9.5 million (£6.5 million) for the France international, who is expected to sign a four-year contract later this week.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=406970&CPID=21&clid=128&lid=4161&title=Juve+settle+on+Vieira+fee

Ahh well that rumour lasted long....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Atlas_IRL wrote:

Correct, this is total bull****. Sometimes I wonder exactly what constraints are on newspapers as regards printing factual material. There's no way Drogba is leaving Chelsea and no way that they'd play Torres and Sheva with Drogba there.

Drogba and Sheva are going to form a lethal partnership IMHO. Drogba, who had the most assists last year(although 4 or 5 against liverpool) is one of best ball winning attackers around. If he has half a chance he'll get the ball and put it in the direction of Shevchenko who, if he has half a chance, will get it goalbound.

The thing is that these stories are so obviously bull****. It really pisses me off.

If he is the complete midfielder why were hammann and alonso preferred to him in the centre?

When were hammann and alonso preffered to him in the centre?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement