Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Graveson is not the answer, he's a poor mans Makeleli. If we want a makeleli we should go for mascherano. He is younger, unproven maybe, but I think he would do well. Hargreaves will be a good signing but only if he plays like he did in the game against portugal for every games. He was awesome in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

has senna actually signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4798403.stm

Im a little bit suspect on the players quotes here :rolleyes:

He was quoted yesterday as saying he was interested in the possibility of joining any if the top teams in the premier league. Looks like a recycled headline with Man U filled in as the blank :o
    Id be amazed if he said half of that tbh.

I dont think Bayern would be too impressed to hear HE was mulling over the offer, they havent accepted a bid have they? If the above was true you can bet Bayern would be reporting Utd to UEFA for an illegal approach !!?!

As for the player, hes v.energetic and gets up and down really well, breaks up play nicely too. Would be useful as a holding MF, Id say he could be well suited to us.

Now has anybody got any spare strikers they dont need for 3 games :p

has senna actually signed?
    Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

AthAnRi wrote:
    Graveson is not the answer, he's a poor mans Makeleli. If we want a makeleli we should go for mascherano. He is younger, unproven maybe, but I think he would do well. Hargreaves will be a good signing but only if he plays like he did in the game against portugal for every games. He was awesome in that game.

Completely agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I've watched Hargreaves in action for England a good few times. I've seen him play a few times for Bayern aswell in the CL and i have to say i really dont rate him. He's no better than Phil Neville was IMO. I think a lot of MU fans are getting so desperate at this stage that they want anyone to sign. They of course have a right to be desperate with the likes of O Shea and fletcher in midfield but the thing is Hargreaves is not much better than these two.
    Sure, people will say he was englands best player in WC but the truth is England were Sh*te in the world cup. They werent just ordinary. They were muck!
    BTW I thought Rio ferdinand & Ashley Cole were englands best players in the WC.

I hear figures of 14 million being knocked around and that is just ridiculous for a player of Hargreaves' ability. The signing doesnt look likely now but If Fergie signs Hargreaves I'll know he's well and trully lost his marbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hargreaves is energetic, but is too sloppy - I rally hope he doesn't sign. His three year deal, plus the tendency for English players to be bought for silly sums (Carrick, Ferdinand), means he'll cost a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Still reeling at the Rooney suspension, what a crock.

Re: Hargreaves, I think he'd be quite a good signing, but I wouldn't want to see United pay over the odds, like you do tend to do when buying English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Who is going to get the first crack in about United's track record at buying British beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Supposedly Villareal want silly money for Senna so might be a ruse to get them to drop the price. I expect to see Senna signed but don't be surprised if it gets to the last day of the window when Villareal will want to offload him.
    BTW according to the Utd sites Hargreaves never actually mentioned United.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Channel4.com

Manchester United youngster Giuseppe Rossi admits he would someday like to return to Italy, with Milan his preferred destination.

The 19-year-old support striker made his debut for the Azzurrini on Tuesday where he impressed Coach Pierluigi Casiraghi with his encouraging display.

"I would like to return to Italy in the future where football is more technical and tactical," said Rossi in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The Premiership is very different, the competitive spirit seems to be the most important factor, although clubs like Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea have now changed their mentality.”

The youngster grew up as a Milan fan and would love to someday wear the Rossoneri jersey, just like his idol Marco Van Basten.

“I have always had a liking for Milan and I am now glad I will be able to see Andriy Shevchenko at work with Chelsea,” he noted.

Rossi landed in Manchester in 2004 when Alex Ferguson signed the Italo-American player from Parma for just £200,000 pounds.

The striker, considered as one of the most promising talents in the game, could play a key role at Old Trafford this season after Ruud Van Nistelrooy’s departure to Real Madrid.

Rossi received his first call-up from Under-21 boss Casiraghi on Friday and was enthused over the opportunity to represent his country.

"I'm happy for the call-up, it’s a unique occasion and I want to do my best," declared Rossi before last night’s 0-0 draw with Croatia.

Although Rossi was only used as a second-half substitute, he showed his potential by almost heading in a Simone Padoin cross.

You lot can let him develop for a few years and if he is good enough when he is 22/23 we will take him from ye and he can come home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just watchin the england game and the commentator said it is reported that United have offered up to 30 mil for hargreaves! HA no way would they do that. he aint worth that. but Id take him instead of Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

30mil O_o

maybe it was 13mil.

well he definitely said 30. 13 would be a bit more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I heard him say 13 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Even 13 is stretching a bit to be honest...

Bardsley has gone to Rangers on loan too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4794867.stm

^ Apparently 30m stg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4798403.stm

^ Apparently 13m stg

Someone must have made a typo about the £30m pricetag somewhere along the line and everyone else followed suit.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Bardsley has gone to Rangers on loan too

Bollix. Thats a bad move. Hes a TOTR deputy for Neville so now we're fcuked if Neville gets injured/suspended or needs to be rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I had it taped, and listened to the commentator 4 or 5 times, because I thought my ears must have been deceiving me. But it definitely sounded more like 30m than 13m - but surely it has to be 13m. He would have been available for less than 7m this time last year.

We're signing Hargreaves today, its in the sun so it MUST be true ;)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006380161,00.html

How did Hargreaves do last night? I didnt see any of the England match.

jobonar wrote:
    How did Hargreaves do last night? I didnt see any of the England match.

MOTM :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sizzler wrote:
    Bollix. Thats a bad move. Hes a TOTR deputy for Neville so now we're fcuked if Neville gets injured/suspended or needs to be rested.

Nah Wesley Brown can play right back

Sizzler wrote:
    MOTM :D

really? the boy is in form alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

First time I've seen that Huntelaar in action but was impressed with the way he took his second goal last night against Ireland. Has he been linked with any clubs this Summer, and if so for how much?

If Hargreaves signs I hope it's one of those signings whereby the player develops into a class act. It's indicative really of how little muscle Man U have in the market, chasing players of the "calibre" of Hargreaves, and we're supposedly the "best club in the world"? Pish

Cup tied for CL, would cost about 13-15 million anyway, Ajax only signed him in january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

madds wrote:
    First time I've seen that Huntelaar in action but was impressed with the way he took his second goal last night against Ireland. Has he been linked with any clubs this Summer, and if so for how much?

he moved to Ajax only last year so he might not be on the market.

Scored 23 goals last season. He was the best player on the park last night, Scoring 2 and setting up 2. He defo looks like one for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I know he's good, but plenty of strikers would have looked good against Ireland last night!:)

His chip was nice though...so long RVN!

His chip was nice though...so long RVN!

He (Huntelaar) is a better player anyway.

only time will tell...

And it will.

hehe

Can't really say I have seen much of him at all and last night was no indication of how good he is, the fact that he was wasn't marked helped him.

Is he another Ajax produced player? I want to know what they feed their youngsters;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Man ! U are going to struggle and will certainly miss Scholes and Rooney in the 2nd and 3rd games. U better get somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Unearthly wrote:

Is he another Ajax produced player? I want to know what they feed their youngsters;)

He's not a product of their youth system. They bought him from Heerenveen for €9 million in January this year.

• Advertisement

More inclined to believe this publication than some of the tabloids!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1852760,00.html

If true what do people think, 17m a bit on the steep side?

If someone told me we'd sign Carrick and Hargreaves which could reach to 34 million combined. I'd laugh them out of the room.

2 signings better than none though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Sizzler wrote:
    More inclined to believe this publication than some of the tabloids!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1852760,00.html

If true what do people think, 17m a bit on the steep side?

Seems pretty steep at 17million, but i hope he will be worth it in the long term.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Again poor business, way over prices, again we should have got him and carrick for about 20m combined.

We need a striker, Rossis confidence is shot, OLE is still only on way back and Saha does not fill me with excitement when he is named, Tevez should be got and why would we spend 17m on an average player when Riquelme or Mascherano can be got for the same!!
    Turning out to be a very frustrating summer, but it could be worse we cud just have spend 10m sterling on another Cisse/Morientes/Crouch!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think hargreaves will be good for us,he'll sure up what is a weak midfield, giving giggs, rooney and ronaldo more freedom to attack.
    Yeah 17m is a lot, but he has a lot of pedigree, he's won the CL at Bayern, and numerous league titles, he's a winner! and he's only 25.
    Plus he was voted bayern's player of the year, ahead of ballack!

Don't give up hope til the end of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

sofireland wrote:
    I think hargreaves will be good for us,he'll sure up what is a weak midfield, giving giggs, rooney and ronaldo more freedom to attack.

Yeah agree. We need a strong man in midfield who will be happy to play the scrappy part of football. I never saw much of Hargreaves for Bayern bar CL, but after seeing the Portugal game I'd say he's worth the money. It was either Requelme or Carrick, but theres no way we would have got requelme after the world cup for Carricks price. Fergie should have moved before hand like wenger did with rosicky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Seaneh wrote:

what are you basing that on?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Seaneh wrote:
    He was shíte against United in the Amsterdam tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Riquelme would've been madness anyway - he doesn't fit in with an existing system, you have to build your team around him as Villareal and Argentina have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

IMO Riquelme would have been another Veron.

Hargreaves would do the makelele job for us, plus he's got a lot of energy to burst forward when needed.

We are a bit short up front, but we do have options.

VDS
    G Nev Rio Vidic Heinze
    Hargreaves
    Ronaldo Carrick Giggs
    Saha Rooney

Thats what our first 11 could be.

For strikers we have Ole (coming back to full fitness, looked sharp preseason), Smith, Rossi, also Scholes could play off a striker.

We still need a replacement for ruud,but we're not that badly off.

yop wrote:
    Again poor business, way over prices, again we should have got him and carrick for about 20m combined.

We need a striker, Rossis confidence is shot, OLE is still only on way back and Saha does not fill me with excitement when he is named, Tevez should be got and why would we spend 17m on an average player when Riquelme or Mascherano can be got for the same!!
    Turning out to be a very frustrating summer, but it could be worse we cud just have spend 10m sterling on another Cisse/Morientes/Crouch!!! ;)

Why would Man U want to sign Tevez?! We have Rooney! And besides why would Tevez want to join Man U?! For the reported 15m?! Get serious!

• Advertisement
Advertisement