Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Imagine Tevez and Rooney upfront together? Can't think of anything more scary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Does anyone get the feeling that people look at foreign players with exotic names more favourably than Domestic talent?

For example Tevez, he has a worse international record than Peter Crouch(Goals to games), and I bet most of you have not seen him in more than 6 full matches(not these youtube videos that pick out the best bits but leave out the bad parts)

I'm sure he is a good player but not quite sure how people have a great knowledge in that he is worth 15+ million and that he would be suited to the prem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Giruilla wrote:
    Imagine Tevez and Rooney upfront together? Can't think of anything more scary!

Tevez and Rooney are the same type of player. Neither of them play up top and both prefer to drop in behind the main CF. Crespo gets his game ahead of Tevez for argentina. If he was as good as people say he is he'd be the first name on the teamsheet.

If i could have one argentinian player it'd be Mascherano.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We don't have Rooney for the 3 matches at the beginning of the season do we? If Rooney gets injured then who do we have?
    Defoe is the only other striker who I can see us getting but no moves have been made for him.

We need another striker because going on the last 3 seasons Ole and Saha are seriously injury prone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Unearthly wrote:
    Does anyone get the feeling that people look at foreign players with exotic names more favourably than Domestic talent?

For example Tevez, he has a worse international record than Peter Crouch(Goals to games), and I bet most of you have not seen him in more than 6 full matches(not these youtube videos that pick out the best bits but leave out the bad parts)

I'm sure he is a good player but not quite sure how people have a great knowledge in that he is worth 15+ million and that he would be suited to the prem

but hes class in football manager so he must be class in real life....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

hello united fans - just want to know, is vidic expected to be a regular this season?
    has he been starting pre-season matches?
    towards the end of last season he was settling into the premiership after a shaky start?
    what do you think of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

but hes class in football manager so he must be class in real life....

hahaha!!

It's shocking how many people go by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Tevez and Rooney are the same type of player. Neither of them play up top and both prefer to drop in behind the main CF. Crespo gets his game ahead of Tevez for argentina. If he was as good as people say he is he'd be the first name on the teamsheet.

If i could have one argentinian player it'd be Mascherano.

Agreed. Mascherano is a class act. 25million+ probably. I don't understand why united didn't do a deal with Ruud for Hargreaves swap. WOuld have made a lot more sense and it would have secured the deal. yet agin we are draing things out to the bitter end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

hello united fans - just want to know, is vidic expected to be a regular this season?
    towards the end of last season he was settling into the premiership after a shaky start?

Vidic was injured over the summer and through the world cup and is currently injured at the moment but i have to say i was quite impressed with him last year when he got a run. At the moment i think a fit wes brown would get the nod ahead of him. Vidic is unlucky enough because Wes was quality last year and really made the position his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This whole "we need a striker to replace Van Nis" is a bit old at this stage.
    We don't.

We have, Rossi, Rooney, Solksjaer, Smith and Saha.
    Five strikers. With scholes fit to play up there as well if required.
    These five strikers in my opinion combined with a solid midfield/defence will be able to provide the performances and more importantly the goals needed to win trophys.
    Who needs a thirty goals a season striker and who is to say that none of the above wont score thirty goals this season- I think splashing the figures talked about here on an "Unproven in premiership" striker, when you have already a decent strickforce, with the midfield in need of an overhaul, is daft.
    Van Nists' record speaks for itself-he was a great striker-but since he has been sold it appears he has also had issues with his dutch teammate-perhaps he was no good for morale? Rossi is young and hungry and I firmly believe he will bang them in this season, given the chance.

I hope hargreaves signs-even if for an inflated price. And I hope the team go to prove people wrong again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Bayern warn United over Owen chase
    Bayern Munich have once again insisted England star Owen Hargreaves will not be leaving the club, despite interest from Manchester United.
    United admitted on Friday that they were keen to bring Hargreaves to Old Trafford, with reports claiming the Reds are hoping to strike a £13million deal.
    But Bayern have always insisted they are keen to keep the player and released a statement underlining that desire.
    "FC Bayern has informed the player and his agent in no uncertain terms that the contract with the club until June 30, 2010 is to be honoured," read the statement.
    "To this day, we have not discussed a transfer with Manchester United or any other club and there will be no future talks over a transfer of Hargreaves.
    "FC Bayern Munich have informed Manchester United on this day, Friday August 18 2006, that they must end their advances for Owen Hargreaves."
    While Hargreaves' agent Roman Grill on Thursday admitted his client was intent on a move to United and asked for the request to leave to be taken seriously by Bayern, the German champions told the midfielder his contract must be honoured.
    "We are honest partners," said Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. "When a player signs a contract, he has rights and duties.
    "Owen Hargreaves has the duty, among others, to play here until 2010, and that is the end of it."
    Rummenigge, who earlier this summer spoke of the special relationship between his club and Manchester United as he tried to convince the Premiership side to sell Ruud van Nistelrooy, sent a clear message to the Red Devils.
    "Owen Hargreaves is an important player for FC Bayern Munich and we are planning with him and other young international players for our future," he added.
    "That is why we will not even discuss a transfer of Owen Hargreaves with any club."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I liked the look of Nemanja Vidic from what i saw of him last season. The beginning he took a while to settle, but in the last few games he looked very solid, likes a tackle and is good in the air for a small player. I know he is injured so i don think he has played any pre-season games, but when he is fully fit, i think it will be him and ferdinand in the center. I also like Wes Brown and i think he could play at right back as Neville has the habit of falling asleep or loses lack of concentration at times.

I Hope to god that we don;t Tevez, he was rubbish in the world cup and over rated. I think next summer we will only need one or two players and hopefully that will be TORRES next summer. Manu have sent Lee Martin and Phil Bardsley to rangers and they could back at manu next season in the first team squad as they both like real good players who could have a big future.

I hope we sign Owen Hargreaves from bayern, i think he would be a great signing better then Carrick. I've always liked him and he is a regular in the Bayern first team for the past 2 years. I think the price that has been mentioned of around £17million i think is way over the top at most he is probably worth £12million, but been english its going to up the price, but i think it will be money well spent.

I was just wondering i think Steed Malbranque would be a great signing for Manu if we did get ( its not going to happen ) but for £4million or, he has always performed for fulham and i just think he would be a good addition to the squad.

I also think we missed out on Dirk Kuyt. I think liverpool have a fantastic squad this season and probably better then chelsea. I know everyone wont agree with that statment, but liverpool have better options in my view over all. I think im going to back them tommorow in the bookies for the league this season:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I liked the look of Nemanja Vidic from what i saw of him last season. ... I also like Wes Brown and i think he could play at right back as Neville has the habit of falling asleep or loses lack of concentration at times.

yeah, agree with that
    I Hope to god that we don;t Tevez, ...Manu have sent Lee Martin and Phil Bardsley to rangers and they could back at manu next season in the first team squad as they both like real good players who could have a big future.

yep, true there buddy.
    I
    I hope we sign Owen Hargreaves from bayern, i think he would be a great signing better then Carrick.....

spot on, if he plays for united like he's playin for England I wont be too disappointed
    I
    I was just wondering i think Steed Malbranque would be a great signing for Manu if we did get ( its not going to happen ) but for £4million or, he has always performed for fulham and i just think he would be a good addition to the squad.

agree AGAIN!I mentioned this before, great player.
    I
    I also think we missed out on Dirk Kuyt.

eh...........no. He's not that great IMO. I think Rafa has made his first bad signing. ah you were doin so well! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont think much of him to be honest.
    He is slow ,extremely clumsy and is always fouling ,grabbing opponents.
    Whenever I saw him play last season he was more intent on fouling than trying to win the ball fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Where excactly was fergie planning on playing hargreeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Somewhere in crazyland with the other utility players that are worth 17 million

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

it seems fergie considers them the english version of pirlo-gattuso or sissoko-Alonso apparently, letting ronaldo scholes and rooney rome free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United are shaping up to revert to a 4-3-3 next year, or more accurately, a 4-2-3-1

• Advertisement

carrick-hargreeves

ronaldo--scholes---giggs

Rooney

?? what about saha?

carrick-hargreaves

ronaldo--scholes---giggs

Rooney

?? what about saha?

carrick---hargreeves

ronaldo--scholes/Rooney---giggs

Rooney/Saha

subs: Park, Fletcher, Richardson, Rossi, Solskair, Evra

and certain games they could play with 2 strikers in a more normal 442 for certain games carling cup esp with Rossi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

disappointed that we lost out on senna and with diarra going to real and bayern not budging on hargreaves, then we could be in a spot of bother. from other boards, the general feeling is that hargreaves would be a good buy but is away over priced at £13-£17m. we are not going to get him cheap. it could be a quite 2 weeks in terms of transfers though i still think that we will bring some1 in. my team for fulham game taking injuries would be

vds
    nev_rio_browne_heinze
    park_scholes_giggs_ronaldo (though the middle seems a bit light)
    saha_ole

evra kuszack rossi shea silvestre

injuries - rooney smith carrick vidic

we definately need to sign 1 or 2 more players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

IF we do sign Owen Hargreeves, i think we play the following team and formation

******************VAN DER SAAR******************

**Neville******Brown**********Ferdinand********Heinze

**Ronaldo****Hargreeves******Carrick***********Giggs

*********************Schoels******************

*********************Rooney*******************

I think this could possible be are best starting eleven. If we do sign hargreeves. id be more hopeful for the season ahead. The way i feel at the moment, i think we will be lucky to finish fourth. I know some may not agree with the signings of Carrick ( i dont agree with that one myself ) or hargreeves if we do sign him, but fergie has messed up in the transfer market over the last 5 years even though he wont admit to it, but he is buying players who can play in the premier league and are proven they can week in week out. I have no doubts that hargreeves could play in england, which is maybe why we haven't made a move for Diarra or Macherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Or maybe Fergie just cannot afford Mascherano or Diarra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Well if we revert to anything apart from a 4-4-2 prepare yourselves for a serious decrease in the amount of goals scored. IMO there was going to be a small decrease anyway with Ruud gone but if Fergie doesnt play a proper striker up top with Rooney I can see goals being even more scarce.

TBH this has always been my fear for this season since the talk started about Ruud leaving. He is one of the best finishers in Europe and letting him go was a mistake. There are other options for up top, not as good as Ruud, but if none of them are going to play in some stupid system dreamed up by that excuse for a coach then we will struggle to score enough goals.

If I was picking the team:

VDS
    Neville Rio Vidic Gabby
    ronaldo Scholes Carrick Giggs
    Rooney Saha/Ole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

442 all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

heinze is out for 3 weeks, according to fergie, he is still not right after his knee injury and rushed himself for the world cup, is it going to be another season of injury after injury at united? those bans dont help either.

On another note, what do ye make of all the players that have left old trafford over the summer, i think its 14 in all including the likes of ruud, fortune, foster, howard, martin, bardsley, steel, spector etc, granted a good few of them have left on loan to get experience and some of the others just were not good enough, but is this a cost cutting scheme? our squad is now alot smaller than it was, is this good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

heinze is out for 3 weeks, according to fergie, he is still not right after his knee injury and rushed himself for the world cup, is it going to be another season of injury after injury at united? those bans dont help either.

On another note, what do ye make of all the players that have left old trafford over the summer, i think its 14 in all including the likes of ruud, fortune, foster, howard, martin, bardsley, steel, spector etc, granted a good few of them have left on loan to get experience and some of the others just were not good enough, but is this a cost cutting scheme? our squad is now alot smaller than it was, is this good or bad?

Well seeing as our interest payments are roughly the cost of buying Villa per season. Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

SofaKing wrote:
    Or maybe Fergie just cannot afford Mascherano or Diarra.

well if he could attempt a 25mil move for Torres a few weeks back then he could get one of them but Diarra didnt want to join. He is goin to Real madrid now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Munich have conceded that Hargreaves wants to join United, but are hoping to get to september 1st with him still in their squad.
    Bayern Munich insist they do not have to cave in to Owen Hargreaves' desire to join Manchester United.

The midfielder has expressed his wish to clinch a move to The Premiership prior to the closure of the transfer window.

After a couple of impressive performances for England, The Red Devils are reportedly ready to pay £17 million for Hargreaves.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed his pursuit of the Canadian-born 25-year-old and feels the player wants to head to Old Trafford.

German champions Bayern are digging their heels in and are determined to resist any big-money offers for Hargreaves.

With the player under contract until 2010, the Bavarian giants appear to be in a strong position and are determined not to buckle under the pressure of United's interest.

"We want to develop a new, young team," Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness told Bild am Sonntag.

"Therefore, we do not sell Hargreaves.

"Bayern Munich will never become the ball of the big clubs and become soft starting from a certain sum.

"If you only have this image at times, then you are broken."

When asked whether Bayern can keep a player at the Allianz Arena against his will, Hoeness remained optimistic Hargreaves would stay.

He added: "Yes, you can do that.

"I know that, perhaps, until August 31 his thoughts are with Manchester.

"But, starting from September 1, if the transfer list is closed, his whole heart will again be here with FC Bayern."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=410960&CPID=22&clid=156&lid=4161&title=Bayern+hold+hope+for+Hargreaves

• Advertisement

that says 17 million sterling, surely they mean euro?!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

that says 17 million sterling, surely they mean euro?!

Nope NOTW also quoted 24million euro.

Fcuking mad or what!

I must say Scholes and Giggs looked excellent today. Scholes was really sharp. Ronaldo and Rooney seem to have put the WC behind them. They played some lovely football together.

Sky gave Rooney MOTM where as Art Sport gave it to Scholes. Both were exceptional.

Its a real pity that they will both be missing for the next 3 games.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Nope NOTW also quoted 24million euro.

Fcuking mad or what!

A few decent games in the WC and your value nearly doubles, crazy.

Considering he is only a utility player for Bayern i cant understand why they would turn down that kind of money for him.

A few decent games in the WC and your value nearly doubles, crazy.

Considering he is only a utility player for Bayern i cant understand why they would turn down that kind of money for him.

Bayern alwyas rated him highly and that price tag is because they dont want to sell and therefore are asking for a Carrick like price.He is after-all like a crarrick a mid20s English international midfielder but he has a champions league winners medal, and Bayern already lost Ballack from their midfield to Chelsea. Although if the player wants to go to Man utd as it seems, and as carrick did, Bayern would reluctantly let him go but wouldnt back down on the price just as Spurs did. United have shown they can be forced to compete with Chelsea like prices because despite how good they looked today tochallenge everybody knows and is very willing topointout, their needfield needs strenghtening. It is alsoknown worldwide that for years knowing they have been searching for "a Keane replacement" and although no such thing exists anyone give that label will come at a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Has anyone got links to the goals today? Can't wait for MOTD2....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Apparently Rooney is prepared to opt out of FA publicity events etc. in light of his three-game suspension form the Amsterdam tournament. I read roday in The Sunday Times that he had the support of Steve McClaren. It could, relaisitcally, be reduced.

Rooney has a good case! (double standards of FA, McClaren's support, inconsistency of the ref and tat tournament etc.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5268096.stm

sprinkles wrote:
    Has anyone got links to the goals today? Can't wait for MOTD2....

http://manutdgoals.freehostia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Apparently Rooney is prepared to opt out of FA publicity events etc. in light of his three-game suspension form the Amsterdam tournament. I read roday in The Sunday Times that he had the support of Steve McClaren. It could, relaisitcally, be reduced.

Rooney has a good case! (double standards of FA, McClaren's support, inconsistency of the ref and tat tournament etc.)

Saw that. Very bad for the game and to be honest, regardless of the merit of the ban, blackmailing the FA is bringing the game into disrepute. He either wants to represent england on and off the pitch, or he doesn't.

no way the FA would overturn their decision because of that. they would basically be bending over and letting rooney do whatever his will is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Bayern Munich won 2:1 today and Hargreaves wasn't in the team or on the bench. Don't know if he is injured or not but it may be a sign of activity in the proposed transfer next week.

I hope so but if he comes what happens with our midfield?

Scholes to the bench? I wouldnt trade him for hargreaves or carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

evad_lhorg wrote:

I agree. By all accounts he was superb today, annoyed I couldn't watch the game. It's a good problem to have though, choice in midfield.

evad_lhorg wrote:

As much as I'd like to see another midfielder coming in, I had to ask myself the same thing as I watched the match today.
    Our shape was terrific, every time we went forward it seemed like a goal was inevitable. If Hargreaves does come in, it'll be interesting to see how it effects the formation.
    Interesting that he was left out of the Munich squad today, although I'm not sure we should read too much into it. Maybe they felt he needed time to clear his head.

The only thing that worried me today was the defence at the start of the game other than that I havnt got a compaint. really enjoyed te match today. Pity scholes' shot didnt get in off the post I think its great when he scores.

I thought the defence was terrific today, special mention to Evra. He had a great game. Not much could have been done about the goal.
    Can't seem to find any news on Gary Neville's injury. I left the room at half time as well so I didn't hear much about it at all. Is it just a strain or something more serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

evad_lhorg wrote:
    The only thing that worried me today was the defence at the start of the game other than that I havnt got a compaint. really enjoyed te match today. Pity scholes' shot didnt get in off the post I think its great when he scores.

Yeah i know what you mean, i know it was v early on and the first game of the season and all but there were a couple of times where Collins John looked like he was going to cause us some problems for the whole game...didn't turn out that way though.

I reckon i put it down to midfield, namely O'Shea, who i don't think can cut it there...replacement hmmmm...Hargreaves!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Evra had a great game today, he had a good preseason, and he seems to have come along quite well. Willing to stick the boot in!

O'Shea wouldn't have played if carrick was fit, thats why its important we get a proper midfielder in like Hargreaves, break it up leaving scholes, giggs and ronaldo to tear the opposition apart.

Man U have always played best when they play with Pace, which in the opening 20 minutes was how they played...

Neville apparently felt the effects of that calf strain that he had at the world cup, according to sky. Now on to Charlton, minus Rooney and Scholes... i think we'll manage though with what we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Can't seem to find any news on Gary Neville's injury. I left the room at half time as well so I didn't hear much about it at all. Is it just a strain or something more serious?

from what i gathered from the commentators Fergie took him off because he'd played very little in pre season and he hadnt recovered 100% from the injury. just a precaution i'd say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

psi wrote:
    He either wants to represent england on and off the pitch, or he doesn't.

Why does he have to represent them off the pitch? If he doesnt want to he doesnt have to. He is picked by McLaren to play football for England not show up at press conferences.

IMO its a ridiculous decision to enforce the ban and if he is not happy with the FA he has every right to tell them to get stuffed with anything they ask him to do that doesnt involve playing football.

How they can ban two United players after doing nothing with two Liverpool players who were also sent off 3 years ago is beyond me. The FA wont get much cooperation on anything from United, Ferguson or Rooney for quite a while I'd say.

Advertisement