Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

SSN are also saying he'll hold a conference, saying he wants to leave etc...they're usually on the ball with things like this too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

AthAnRi wrote:
    1. Of course it is valid. Wages over a 5 years will cost 12 million. Considering we are paying 60million in Interest alone FACT per year means that every penny spent on wages is a penny lost on profit. This is all the glazers see, if not then their not gonna make good business men. Regardless of wages in order to make a profit on 25 million we would still need to sell torres for 30 million and to sell a player for this would mean he has to be a success.
    This is utter nonsense. You are assuming that Torres, or whoever, will add nothing, absolutely nil, to the team.

What price in monetary terms would you put on, say Wayne Rooney’s contribution to Manchester United on an annual basis? United will have made their money back on someone like Rooney in three to four years, and then if they sold him whatever they sold him for would be a pure profit.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    I was making that point to illustrate that the Shareholders UTD(Pheonix from the flames) newsletter is a very trustworthy source of information.
    And you forgot to mention that it was a total propaganda machine run and written by guys with serious agendas and chips on their shoulder.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    And it is a bad thing becasue it means that 75% of our gate receipts now go straight to the bankFACT. Pre Glazers it was all profit. The last club to use this type of stategy was who? One guess, they were a massive club and are now lucky to be in existence.
    Source? Pre Glazer’s it was not all profit. Do you not think that the club had bills to pay before the American revolution?
    AthAnRi wrote:
    Here is another interesting FACT about the Malcolm Glazer theyve appointed the entire Glazer family to the board. This means
    theyre drawing further money out of the club in wages/salaries etc, and if
    the club goes under, it doesnt matter as theyll have made their wedge and
    And here is another interesting fact, the Glazer’s may have appointed themselves to the board but guess what they would have replaced existing members of the board who would have previously also drawn salaries.

So guess what the net effect is? You got it, a big fat zero.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    all liability is transferred onto the club, not the Glazers.
    Yes of course. It is possible to borrow hundreds of millions with out any liability possibly falling on you or your interests.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    You can call me Naive all you like
    Can I call you chronically naïve?
    AthAnRi wrote:
    however the bottom line is this pre Glazers UTD were a debt free club, now we are paying £60 million pounds in debt.
    Not necessarily true. I’m sure United had plenty of bank borrowing before the Glazer’s. Sure they have more now but they also don’t have millions of shareholders.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    These men have no interest in Football
    Just like all Irish are potato eating, Guinness drinking labourers called Paddy.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    while you say in order to be making money you need to be succesful it's not how they see it
    You forgot to put the speculation tags around that one.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    and that they are business men and it is in there interest to keep the club going. Of course it is but if they only manage to keep the club a float for 5 years, each of the Glazers will have made massive amounts of money while the CLub will be F**ked
    Yeah business is that simple. Get loans from banks, buy huge investments, cripple them with your loans, all while paying yourselves massive salaries. Sell up and make all your investment back, plus any profit (despite your crippling of the club) and fly to The Bahama’s.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    Also here is how our spending has gone in in the Glazer Era

Carrick 18.6 (this is the Maximum we will pay)
    Shrek (2nd half) 11.5(Signed before Glazers so they have no choice on this one)
    Vidic 7
    Evra 5.5
    Park 4
    VDS 2
    Foster 1

Total 49.6

Out

Mikel 12
    RVN 10.3
    Pip 3.5
    Kleberson 2.5
    Bellend 0.7
    Spector 0.5
    SEB 0.2

Total 29.7

So if we spend 30 million in the next week they will have kept their promise.
    I don't follow this. It leaves a net spend of £20M. Have the Glazer's not been a year at the helm? You are also negating the £6M spent on Mikel, yet are recognising the full £12M received, so that brings your net spend to £26M.

And aren't United openly in the market for Hargreaves, with prices of £17m being touted? That would bring the net spend to £43M. 14 months after the original takeover. What's your problem with that?

I’d love to continue this discussion with you but I’m going to pop down my bank to see will the manager loan me a couple hundred mil, I’ve got my heart set on Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hmm, I dunno aobut this whole situation. If Bayern are swayed to sell the lad, then the fee will be at least 17m - over the odds in my opinion. Senna seems a more viable option at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Senna seems a more viable option at this stage.

that deal is apparently dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Senna has gone at this stage, and would only be Temporary solution anyway.
    Hargreaves is younger, got a heap of potential and a winning pedigree, ffs he's won loads with Bayern. Including the CL!

If Hargreaves costs 17m thats what it is, Fergie has said he enquired about his availablitlity pre world cup, but got no answer.

Man utd has a tradition of British & Irish players forming the back bone of the team and this is a tradition that should continue.

Hargreaves would be a good signing for us, even if we pay over the odds.

sofireland wrote:
    Senna has gone at this stage, and would only be Temporary solution anyway.
    Hargreaves is younger, got a heap of potential and a winning pedigree, ffs he's won loads with Bayern. Including the CL!

If Hargreaves costs 17m thats what it is, Fergie has said he enquired about his availablitlity pre world cup, but got no answer.

Man utd has a tradition of British & Irish players forming the back bone of the team and this is a tradition that should continue.

Hargreaves would be a good signing for us, even if we pay over the odds.

I just think it's testemant to Man U's lack of muscle in the transfer market that we're chasing players who, generally, attracted the interest of lesser clubs (eg Spurs)

I think too many people are fooled into thinking just because Fergie chases a player that that fact automatically makes that player "class". I've seen Hargreaves play, I'm not yet convinced. He's energetic, I'll give him that, but do you really think he's a player who the oppostion will look at as a "star" / "key player" ?

While he may not be technically gifted, he's a grafter in that area of just infront of the defence! His role would purely be to break stuff up like makelele, freeing up scholes giggs and ronaldo!

Keane was all set to sign for Blackburn ffs!

I agree man u have serious lack of muscle, but so does everyone now the russian gangster is in the mix.

sofireland wrote:
    While he may not be technically gifted, he's a grafter in that area of just infront of the defence! His role would purely be to break stuff up like makelele, freeing up scholes giggs and ronaldo!

Keane was all set to sign for Blackburn ffs!

I agree man u have serious lack of muscle, but so does everyone now the russian gangster is in the mix.

Yeah I agree, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with what you said. If Hargreaves is the best out there at what he does, at his age, then maybe there's no other option or maybe it's the deal of the century!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Just like all Irish are potato eating, Guinness drinking labourers called Paddy.

What's that got too do with anything? Are you insinuating that I believe that it's because the Glazers are American that they have no interest in football? Because I never once mentioned that in any of the posts, nor did I even remotely hint at it. The reason I believe that they have no interest in football is because they have no interest in football. Please don't offend me.

Also if you want to believe that I'm naive then believe it I couldn't care less. However I believe it is extremely naive to believe that a man Capable of Suing his own Sister over his fathers will, has the best interest of a football club at heart. I'm probably more sceptical than Naive.

I've given my argument and if you don't want to take it on board that's up you, I won't ram it down your throat. Enjoy your time in NT3.

• Advertisement

AthAnRi wrote:
    The reason I believe that they have no interest in football is because they have no interest in football.
    A conclusive arguement if ever I saw one.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    Also if you want to believe that I'm naive then believe it I couldn't care less. However I believe it is extremely naive to believe that a man Capable of Suing his own Sister over his fathers will, has the best interest of a football club at heart. I'm probably more sceptical than Naive.
    I never once said Glazer was an angel. But I wouldn't be overly adverse if I were a United fan of his actions running the club seeing as he has already dished out a net £26M in 14 months running the club, plus potentially £17M more before the window closes if Hargreaves were to sign.

I wouldn't be certain if that would be the end of United's spending this Summer either.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    I've given my argument and if you don't want to take it on board that's up you, I won't ram it down your throat. Enjoy your time in NT3.
    Fine, but if you want to come on feeling like you have to put stuff in bold to make it look like a more conclusive fact at least be man enough to respond to the points made against you to indicate otherwise.

Yeah I agree, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with what you said. If Hargreaves is the best out there at what he does, at his age, then maybe there's no other option or maybe it's the deal of the century!!!

He's not the best out there yet!
    I think Fergie could do a keano on him and turn him into a seriously world class player.

I don't see Gattuso breaking his balls to come our way! :D

All we can do now is wait and see, cos this is gonna turn into a game of chicken! Who'll blink first!

What are ya talking about, Myslef, Sprinkles, Astrofool and Kippy were having a very adult dignified conversation for and against the Glazers. I have stated facts and have yet to have those facts corrected by facts to the contrary. You have argued against them with swooping statements and opinions.

Also I'm not prepared to argue with someone who reads comments selectively and is not prepared to quote the whole thing in context. If I did I would do something like his
    I never once said Glazer was an angel.
    I rest my case. Simple

If I argued like that we'd be here all night and the moderators would probably get upset. Also if Bold text upsets you so much it's probably a good idea for you to stay away from computers and books in the future. It seems to me your makng arguments for the sake of making arguments.

AthAnRi wrote:
    I have stated facts and have yet to have those facts corrected by facts to the contrary. You have argued against them with swooping statements and opinions.
    Facts like:

"FACT per year means that every penny spent on wages is a penny lost on profit"

Well why don't they just let go every single employee from the club and watch profits soar through the roof. :rolleyes: What you said if factually correct but completely irrelevant and adds nothing to your argument in the context you used.

"Here is another interesting FACT about Malcolm Glazer he has appointed the entire Glazer family to the board. This means theyre drawing further money out of the club in wages/salaries etc, and if the club goes under, it doesnt matter as theyll have made their wedge and all liability is transferred onto the club, not the Glazers."

Let me tell you something, this is not the slightest bit interesting. What I've noticed you ignore is the saving in cost from the disposed board members. Please read my posts.

"Finally it is a FACT that the Glazers stated to the United board that they would be supplying a £25 million transfer fund per year to the club. It is not just 'paper talk' it is a FACT."

Yes and from your own figures, they have spent £26M in 14 months, not far off £25M a year is it? And when we think Hargreaves could arrive for another £17M that would make £43M in 14 months.

So you are right it is a fact that he said he would supply this money, and a fact that he has pretty much come good on his promise.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    Also I'm not prepared to argue with someone who reads comments selectively and is not prepared to quote the whole thing in context. If I did I would do something like his
    What have I quoted you out of context? If you indicate to me I will go back to amend my posts.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    I rest my case. Simple
    Very few business men are "angels", and besides sueing his sister doesn't take anything from him as a businessman, which is his role at United.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    It seems to me your makng arguments for the sake of making arguments.
    No I'm in an arguement because I disagree with someone who is making ridiculous statements under the tone of facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

1. Of course it is valid. Wages over a 5 years will cost 12 million. Considering we are paying 60million in Interest alone FACT per year means that every penny spent on wages is a penny lost on profit. This is all the glazers see, if not then their not gonna make good business men. Regardless of wages in order to make a profit on 25 million we would still need to sell torres for 30 million and to sell a player for this would mean he has to be a success.

That's just stupid. Kivin addressed it and you ignored it, so you must think it's as stupid as we do.
    3. I was making that point to illustrate that the Shareholders UTD(Pheonix from the flames) newsletter is a very trustworthy source of information. The leaders of this group are die hard utd fans and have had long relationships with very importamt people behind the scenes at old trafford. And it is a bad thing becasue it means that 75% of our gate receipts now go straight to the bankFACT. Pre Glazers it was all profit. The last club to use this type of stategy was who? One guess, they were a massive club and are now lucky to be in existence.

It is, since when? Are these the people who are dedicated to the idea of the fans owning the club? How exactly are they trustworthy when they have an agenda identical to the Glaziers.
    These people want Glazier to fail, us to get relegated, the club to get asset stripped, so they can get control of United. These are the people you trust?

As for the 75%, where does the other 25% go? Under the bed? Besides that statistic being a flat out lie, as nearly all of our gate reciepts go on players wages.

The money which is being used to pay off interest is in the dividends paid out to the shareholders [which wasn't going back into the club either] and any extra money they could obtain. This includes increased stadium capacity, better TV deals, better marketing campaigns, and also whatever money can be saved, which ahs led to the cutting of the wage bill as much as feasible, like say getting Miller off the 30 grand a week he is on.

The comparision to Leeds is equally stupid.
    They had massive wages bills, massive transfer costs, all based on the requirment of CL football every year. They were idiots, Glazer is not.
    Here is another interesting FACT about Malcolm Glazer he has appointed the entire Glazer family to the board. This means theyre drawing further money out of the club in wages/salaries etc, and if the club goes under, it doesnt matter as theyll have made their wedge and all liability is transferred onto the club, not the Glazers.

Except they will have lost the 400 million of their own money they invested without loans.
    Finally it is a FACT that the Glazers stated to the United board that they would be supplying a £25 million transfer fund per year to the club. It is not just 'paper talk' it is a FACT.

Really? Show us this fact. Anywhere.
    These men have no interest in Football and while you say in order to be making money you need to be succesful it's not how they see it. and that they are business men and it is in there interest to keep the club going.

It's what keeps me happy about United. These guys are ruthless business men, ruthless. They will do anything for their profit. And they are incredibly good at it. Luckily, it makes good business sense to keep winning, and their goal is to win the PL, CL, and everything else. Why? Because it's good for business.
    You know what my greatest fear about United is? Is that Malcolm dies. Because we have no idea how good his son might be compared to him. For the good of United, Long Live Malcolm Glazier.
    So if we spend 30 million in the next week they will have kept their promise.

Net spend 20 million? So wouldn't they have to spend 5 million? [p.s. you're maths is wrong]
    Also the fact that we are trying to sign Hargreaves for about 15 million would suggset, imply, or even downright state, that the money is there to be spent if Fergie decides it is to be spent.
    Also I'm not prepared to argue with someone who reads comments selectively and is not prepared to quote the whole thing in context.

Really? It's exactly what you're doing, so please adderss the issues in bold above. Cause you've just ignored them when it was clear they were utterly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm sure I read that the Glazers promised £20m a year for 4 years plus another £20m to be used over the 4 years, i.e. effectively £25m per year.

You never read a quote from the Glaziers or from the football club saying this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

did heargreaves have that press conference then? what was the reaction like?

PHB wrote:
    Really? It's exactly what you're doing, so please adderss the issues in bold above. Cause you've just ignored them when it was clear they were utterly wrong.

The only thing that's in bold is the word 'Identical' How am I supposed to adress that? Even if there were something in bold I'm not going to address it because I have made my points and that is that. Whenever I try to defend a point somone else jumps on the band wagon, disects that point and picks out the flaws in that.

It's getting a bit boring now anyways. If you want to believe that the Glazers are good for the club then good on you. I have no problem with that what so ever. As I said to whoever it was we will agree to disagree. ;)

did heargreaves have that press conference then? what was the reaction like?

Hargreaves refused to talk about the issue!

as Did David Gill (re: o hargreaves), remaining tight lipped. even avoiding questions like "are you looking at other areas should hargreaves deal falls through?".

Decent draw in CL. Great tie its gonna be against the Bhoys.

loyalties divided (come on the reds :p )

oh yeah and that d!ckhead (pardon my french) of a peter kenyon on tv now, I hope Chelsea get knocked out in early stages, or he gets the sack. either one i wouldnt mind. judas!!

i believe hargreaves was fined one weeks wages for his carry on! (according to the mirror)

Anyway, good draw for us i think! Must have a look now and see if tickets can be obtained for a couple of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

how might one obtain tickets to the Celtic games?

Might be a membership thing, or at least I'd presume it would be...

evad_lhorg wrote:

Join One United and apply when they become available or go on an overnight trip organised by one of the travel agents like Ray Tracey travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Owen Hargreaves insists he still hopes to win a dream move to Manchester United, but admits the matter is out of his hands.

The 25-year-old Bayern Munich midfielder impressed at this summer's World Cup in Germany and was voted England's best player of the tournament in a Football Association poll.

United and Munich remain deadlocked on a deal for the Calgary-born player though, and with the August 31 transfer deadline looming large the player has refused to give up on a move to Old Trafford.

"I've given everything to Bayern Munich for the last nine years and I want to be treated with respect," Hargreaves told Bild.

"I simply want it to be accepted that Manchester would be a great step for me."

The Bundesliga champions insist that the player is not for sale, and have even threatened to report Sir Alex Ferguson's men to Fifa if they do not give up their pursuit of the wantaway player.

"The manager doesn't want to let me go. That's his right. But he knows exactly what I want," Hargreaves stressed.

"It's simply a great challenge. I'm an England player, part of my family lives near Manchester. A lot of things come together."

Hargreaves has meanwhile defended his decision to extend his contract at the Allianz Arena last year until 2010.

"It was a great honour for me at the time," he continued.

"In the meantime, a lot of things have developed for me in a different way. I have a great chance to become a key player for England."

With Michael Ballack having departed for Chelsea at the end of last season, Hargreaves' role for Munich has become even more important and the player believes he could still fulfil the weight of expectation in Germany if required.

"The coach knows what I can do," he added.

"And so do the fans. I always give everything I have. That won't change no matter where I play."

From www.skysports.com

So is this lad coming or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

You would have to laugh if they somehow agreed a fee after this long and then they couldn't agree personal terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

evad_lhorg wrote:

You would need to be a One Intied memebr before you can apply for the hone game, and that will be well over subscribed.........so there will possibly little or no chance.....for the away game in glasgow only season ticket holder will be able to apply.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

hello whats ray treaceys web address?.

SteM wrote:
    Join One United and apply when they become available or go on an overnight trip organised by one of the travel agents like Ray Tracey travel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Doesn't seem to have one.

Agent Name: Ray Treacy Travel
    Address: 22 Store Street Dublin 1
    Telephone: 8787744
    Fax: 8364053

cheesedude wrote:
    So is this lad coming or what?

I hope so, hw's improved greatly IMO.

However it looks like Carrick and the GK will be Uniteds only signings this summer, pity really. I think another decent face in the squad would be great news for the club. Especailly a midfielder.

Its not over til 31st august so he could come still!
    But Bayern are digging their heels in

• Advertisement

From The Sun via Rednews
    The Sun reckons Bayern shafted us
    Saturday, August 26, 2006

BAYERN MUNICH double-crossed Manchester United after agreeing a £12million fee for Owen Hargreaves.

The England star had a medical on August 15. But Bayern pulled the plug just as the deal was due to be confirmed two days later.

They ordered Hargreaves back to Germany and upped their asking price to £17m.

Bayern have since been accusing United of an illegal approach.

And their chief executive Uli Hoeness branded Hargreaves, 25, a ‘prostitute’ for offering himself to the Premiership club.

United are now hoping Old Trafford director Bobby Charlton’s friendship with the Germans’ president, Franz Beckenbauer, can help smooth the move before Thursday’s transfer deadline.

Bayern agreed the deal the day before Hargreaves played for England against Greece.

An announcement was set for the day after the Old Trafford international — until Bayern pulled out.

It is believed their stubbornness may be simply to placate their fans who are already angry at losing Michael Ballack to Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I've said already that manu would be lucky to finish in the top 4 this season and im still sticking to that. I would love to see manu sign Owen Hargreaves, he think he's a fantastic player. Everybody seems to forget he has been a bayern over the 4 seasons and has been a regular nearly every season, so that says something about the player. I really think that if we do sign him then we could push chelsea all the way. My only fear this season is if we get injuries, i think we will really suffer. Flectcher is not up to manu standards and i can see him been shiped out in the next 12-months.

I see carlos tevez is looking to be close to a move to england. I think its either going to Manu, Chelsea or maybe Arsenal..

watch this space.

You would need to be a One Intied memebr before you can apply for the hone game, and that will be well over subscribed.........so there will possibly little or no chance.....for the away game in glasgow only season ticket holder will be able to apply.........

There are a number of ways to apply. AS Green Martin has said, however as it's a midweek game, all be it against Celtic, I'm sure you will have a good chance of picking up a ticket. Failing that you can try the swap site. Even arsenal tickets can be got there, not sure if you need to be a one united member for that.

The final way is the sign up on the redissue.co.uk sanctuary. Cost £10 for the year. They have a ticket and travel section where fans can swap tickets for face value. BE WARNED they are not very welcoming of people who go on and constantly buy tickets without offering any in return. so the best thing to do is PM the seller if they post any up there.

Van Bommell has signed for Bayern...maybe to replace the gap left by Ballack or perhaps to fill a gap left by another outgoing mifielder????

Bayern again saying he isn't going....wanting to play them together and all that

EDIT: is about to sign!

about to sign what? where are you seeing this?

evad_lhorg wrote:
    about to sign what? where are you seeing this?

Soccer Saturday reported that Bayern are signing Van Bommel from Barca, likely to strengthen Utd's Hargreaves case

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=412425&CPID=22&clid=156&lid=2&title=Bayern+on+brink+of+Barca+raid
    Also reported on TeamTalk

did hargreaves play alongside ballack or was he just a sub most times?

Yeah The Times seem convinced that a deal will be done before the transfer window closes on Thursday night...

Both Arsenal and Manchester United are interested in signing West Ham captain Nigel Reo-Coker before the transfer window shuts on Friday.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is keen to acquire the 22-year-old, a key figure in West Ham's return to the Premiership and run to last season's FA Cup Final, to add some steel to his midfield. But the Gunners may face competition from United, who are expected to turn their attention to the England Under-21 captain if their attempts to sign Owen Hargreaves, which have so far been rebuffed by Bayern Munich, prove fruitless.

Reo-Coker is understood to have a clause in his contract at Upton Park stipulating that he can leave if any of the clubs finishing in the top three places in the Premiership the previous season come in for him. That would open the door to an approach from United, but not Arsenal, who finished fourth in May.

It is understood that Reo-Coker would join either club. He is paid about £15,000-a-week at West Ham, but would see that rise to £40,000 if he went to Old Trafford or £45,000 at the Emirates Stadium. In addition, Hammers manager Alan Pardew is thought to be willing to let his skipper go - if the price is right - despite his pivotal role in the team and popularity with West Ham fans.

The impending closure of the summer transfer window until January may also see United step up their interest this week in Carlos Tevez, the Argentine striker who plays for Corinthians of Brazil.

Interesting clause. Would love to see him at utd. Aparently the sponser AIG prefer to see english born players at utd than foreigners. Aparently this is partly the reason as to why the Senna deal has been put on hold. Al Van Bommel is set to join Bayern.
    * Senna quoted in the NOTW:

"It went very quiet, then Mr Ferguson's assistant told my agent he was sorry but they had orders from above.

"Quieroz said the sponsor [AIG] preferred English players and although they wanted me, they would have to wait. But they never caled back."
    * Hargreaves:

"I've given everything to Bayern Munich for the last nine years and I want to be treated with respect.

"I simply want it to be accepted that Manchester would be a great step for me. Part of my family lives near Manchester and a lot of things come together."

Bayern's Ule Hoeness says that Hargreaves is gong nowhere despite signing Mark van Bommel:

"We want to get even stronger with Van Bommel and Hargreaves..

"We are in agreement with Barcelona.

"Van Bommel is coming next week. If he gets through the medical without any problems, he will sign a three-year deal.

"We had buried the topic [Hargreaves] 14 days ago - and it will remain buried.

"Owen stays with us. Alex Ferguson has to plan without Owen Hargreaves."

PA:

Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday denied making an illegal approach for England midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

But Ferguson rejects the accusation he has held talks with the 25-year-old. "I have not spoken to the boy," said the United manager. "I have not read the comments and I know nothing about it but that is not right [that United made an illegal approach]."

Ferguson said the move for Hargreaves was no nearer, although he was still waiting to discover whether chief executive David Gill had been able to instigate any fruitful discussions with Bayern officials at Thursday's Champions League draw.

"We know what the situation is," said the Scot. "We just need Bayern to tell us what is happening."

• Advertisement

Both Arsenal and Manchester United are interested in signing West Ham captain Nigel Reo-Coker before the transfer window shuts on Friday.

great, should it work out. Id take either. Reo Coker will be a great player. Can see West Ham letting him go for nothing though, he'll be pricey 8 - 12m sterling Id say.
    *************************************************************************************

How did you all rate the team yeterday? Evra left out for height reasons after some decent performances. Rio with suspected broken toe, prob miss England game ;) .

VDS 7

Rio 7
    Brown 8
    O Shea 7
    Silvestre 7

Giggs 8
    Carrick 7
    Fletcher 7
    Ronaldo 7

Saha 7
    Solskjaer 7

Hopefully Rio will be back for us soon.
    Thought the lads did well, could have been a potential banana skin.
    Its the result that matters, we'll have a proper test next time out though versus spurs.

Silvestre took his goal well didn't he!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

skysports are carrying the following story, what ye make of this? cant see the point really. also, alot of talk on bbc forums and redcafe on tevez deal, though there is no official links to back anything up-

"Press speculation in Italy is linking Manchester United with a renewed bid for Juventus striker David Trezeguet.

Reports claim the French striker's agents have met with officials from the Premiership club to discuss a possible move to Old Trafford.

United are still on the lookout for a striker to replace Ruud van Nistelrooy, who joined Real Madrid earlier in the summer.

However, with just four days to go before the transfer window closes, Sir Alex Ferguson was thought to have turned his attentions to bringing another midfielder to the club.

Trezeguet has been constantly linked with a move away from Juventus during the summer following their relegation to Serie B because of their part in the match-fixing scandal.

But the 28-year-old was expected to remain at the Stadio Delle Alpi after insisting he was happy at the club.

French champions Lyon are another side ready to make a fresh bid for the French striker.

The Ligue 1 outfit have money to spend after the sale of Mahamadou Diarra to Real Madrid and are thought to be readying an increased bid for Trezeguet.

Meanwhile, Trezeguet will miss Sunday's Coppa Italia match against Napoli because of injury. "

thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Trezeguet - No thanks.

I think we will be OK up front. If we are in a crisis, strengthen there in January but it's the same old story, we need another top class central midfielder.

no no no no no no! Trezeguet will never be the player he was, and he wasnt that great anyway. no thank you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

probably not reliable -
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/soccer/sfl-rusnak27aug27,0,172663.column

Rumours - we will be linked with every player possible between here and thursday

in reality - sign a midfielder, though possibly nothing until january

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

does anybody think united will get anybody before the window closes

i personally can't see anybody coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I would tend to agree with you on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

cannot believe that someone said no United player was worse than 7/10 v Watford, and another said "thought the lads did well". Low standards indeed :D

Brown and Silvestre were all over the place at the back. Carrick and Fletcher never got to grips with their midfield - neither a patch on the solid performances John O'Shea gave in the first two games. And Solksjaer's touch was very poor. I'd be surprised if United play that badly again all season, Ferguson was fuming with his players throughout the second half. Just lucky that the performance came against Watford, who will definitely finish in the bottom 5, most likely be relegated.

Flectcher should be offered as a makeweight in any Reo-Coker deal. That could suit all 4 parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

does anybody think united will get anybody before the window closes

i personally can't see anybody coming in

I think we'll get Hargreaves or Reo Coker and possibly Tevez. Midfield needs to be strengthened immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Manu still seem to be confident of landing Heargreves even with the Thursday deadline coming close.

"Manchester United are convinced they'll land Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves before Thursday's transfer deadline.

The Times says United are optimistic that Bayern Munich will accept their ?17 million offer for Hargreaves within the next 48 hours, allowing the midfield player to complete his transfer to Old Trafford after he arrives in Manchester on England duty.

Bayern's management has been defiant in its public declarations, saying that Hargreaves is not for sale and would be forced to see out the remaining four years of his contract, but its fears of losing him were exposed yesterday when Marc van Bommel, Bayern's new midfield signing from Barcelona, let slip that the 25-year-old was "close to leaving the club". "

Hopefully they can secure this by thursday and then grab Tevez for up front. will be an interesting week in the transfer market...

• Advertisement
Advertisement