Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

p_larkin99 wrote:
    i was just giving reasons why West Ham may need to sell and why he'd want to leave.

They're still assumptions. You don't know whether he wants to leave or whether WH need the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

AthAnRi wrote:
    Aparently Reo-Coker has a clause in his contract saying he can leave if one of the top 3 clubs come in for him. That would mean UTD couls buy him but Arsenal couldn't. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen though.

I have read that on other forums alright. He would want to have to leave for that club though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

SteM wrote:
    They're still assumptions. You don't know whether he wants to leave or whether WH need the money.

Right, you said you don't see why he would leave now that they have bought 2 players (thats an assumption).

I gave reasons as to why he would leave, i don't see your point, surely we're all making assumptions? do you know for a fact he would not leave? i doubt it, so therefore you too are assuming that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

reads title of thread Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006

agrees with p_larkin99.

end of story.

Reo Coker would be great, but its gettin late and unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

SteM wrote:
    I have read that on other forums alright. He would want to have to leave for that club though.

Oh yes indeed he woulIt's highly highly unlikely United are gonna sign anyone now. Very dissappointing summer for us.

We've signed 2 players and let something like 14 players leave, be it on loan or what ever. The lowest and the highest in the premiership.

AthAnRi wrote:
    Oh yes indeed he woulIt's highly highly unlikely United are gonna sign anyone now. Very dissappointing summer for us.

We've signed 2 players and let something like 14 players leave, be it on loan or what ever. The lowest and the highest in the premiership.

yeah its a bit of a downer with all this media hype and people goin here n there at the last day....but theres 4 hours left!! :D

thats too optimistic isn it. ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

The Muppet wrote:
    Fat Ronaldo just arrived at Gatwick Airport to Sign for ???????

Maybe he was called up for the Brazil squad vs Argentina on Sunday at Arsenal's new stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Actually I stand corrected Liverpool have let more go. 21 OMG they had a lot of rubbish in their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yea kromkamp is gone to psv. what a waste of time it was gettin him. lol

nothin is goin to happen for us. it sucks.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Maybe he was called up for the Brazil squad vs Argentina on Sunday at Arsenal's new stadium?

No he wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

alan smith played 90 mins. reserves won 1-0 phil marsh with a peno after 14 mins.

franny jeffers showed straight red for raising hand to shawcross

alan smith played 90 mins. reserves won 1-0 phil marsh with a peno after 14 mins

A silver lining on what was a disappointing day for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

alan smith played 90 mins. reserves won 1-0 phil marsh with a peno after 14 mins.

franny jeffers showed straight red for raising hand to shawcross

Conditions made the match a little boring, but still game for Smiffy...they also said he's probably lining up for the next reserve game (think its in the Premier Cup)

so Liam Miller is finally gone... I know he was next to brutal for us, but Im still a little sad to see the man go. Six signings by Roy, hope they work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

miller will anyway.
    IT was keane that recommended him to Alex, he lives near Roy, I'd say Roy wants to bring him in and build him up to be his replacement for Ireland. maybe in a few years, AF will be tryin to sign him back! ;)

:o big thread! post 1916! eh....gwan the RA and all that! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well United are certainly managing to get their wage bill down.How many players have left now?

The lack of activity in the transfer market is both enlightening and depressing.
    The times they are a changing.The Glazer factor seems to be finally kicking in.:mad:

The_B_Man wrote:
    AF will be tryin to sign him back! ;)

S AF has at most 2 years left at United IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

The_B_Man wrote:
    miller will anyway.
    IT was keane that recommended him to Alex, he lives near Roy, I'd say Roy wants to bring him in and build him up to be his replacement for Ireland. maybe in a few years, AF will be tryin to sign him back! ;)

:o big thread! post 1916! eh....gwan the RA and all that! :p

He'll need a lot of building up. Wasn't Keane's slagging off of Miller, O'Shea and Fortune the reason he had to go :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

he was slagging off his performances for united. I'd say he's well aware of millers potential, after all, it was him who recommended him from Celtic. Miller has played a stormer since his mmove to Leeds and even got that cracker for Ireland. Once Keane starts coaching him and giving him regualr games, Miller should improve, and under Keanes guidance, he should do well, and live up to at least some of his potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I waited up all night for news of a transfer and nothing! We needed a holding midfielder badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

What I'd give to have been a fly on the wall wherever Fergie was tonight.

fade2black wrote:
    What I'd give to have been a fly on the wall wherever Fergie was tonight.

Yeah id like to know if we were scrambling after anyone or if he was at home sipping some wine.

Yeah id like to know if we were scrambling after anyone or if he was at home sipping some wine.

...thinking about loaning out Rooney to Liverpool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thank God all the stupid speculation and nonsense talk is over.
    Let get down to the season with the squad we have.
    And as for a few "this is Glazers fault" posts above-I'd have a look at earlier posts in this thread.
    Obviously Fergie could not get who he wanted for whatever reason, and at least he didnt panic buy as some were suggesting he would.
    It looks like some of the younger players may get a shoe in in the middle of the field if there are injury worries and Fergie may strengthen in Januaury.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Taken from Rednews.co.uk

OUT -Mcshane,Steele,Martin,Bardsley,Miller,Simpson,Ruud,Eagles,Obi Mikel,Pique,Rossi (and i bet i've forgot some) IN-Carrick.Kuscak

Think that sums it up pretty badly for us.

How in the name of god did West Ham get those, and we apparently said no? Are we mad?

Anyway, as kippy says lets just get on with it with the squad we have, there is always the window in January :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Absolutely disgusted with our lack of activity this summer, again we have been lead down the garden path with the assumptions we were going to bring in 2 or 3 big names. Who do we get a over rate English midfielder who is not work 1/2 the money and a keeper who had 1 good season, yet we sell our best forward and load out 1/2 of our backup!!
    I think either that Fergie has lost the plot, is Kenyon in disguise with the intention of wrecking the club, or the Glaziers think that this is Championship manager.
    Who ever is running the transfers is letting us down seriously.

I could name 20 players who we could/should have got, we did not get one of them.

rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

yop wrote:
    Absolutely disgusted with our lack of activity this summer, again we have been lead down the garden path with the assumptions we were going to bring in 2 or 3 big names. Who do we get a over rate English midfielder who is not work 1/2 the money and a keeper who had 1 good season, yet we sell our best forward and load out 1/2 of our backup!!
    I think either that Fergie has lost the plot, is Kenyon in disguise with the intention of wrecking the club, or the Glaziers think that this is Championship manager.
    Who ever is running the transfers is letting us down seriously.

I could name 20 players who we could/should have got, we did not get one of them.

rant over

please enlighten us:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

all i can say is that i'm in complete shock!!

cannot believe WH got those 2 and utd didn't even try to sign them!! i stayed up till nearly 1 last night in teh hope that there would be an anouncement regarding a utd signing!! i'm very disapointed!

Bad move by fergie letting Rossi go out on loan! i know he probably wouldnt have played much but still good to have as back up!

very poor summer for utd... pray that no player suffers a long term injury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

disappointed, really am, new players breath fresh air into a squad and we only got 2, where as everybody else, bar arsenal, brought in 3 or 4. back in january, gill(who ill never again listen to or believe) said that we were looking for 2-3 big signings, one of which was still in the cmahpions league, that never happened. i cant see why they depended on getting hargreaves when from an early stage, there was a clear indication that he would be let leave.

the loan deal for rossi is good for him, but he was only supposed to go if we brought a striker in. we went out of europe early and same with fa cup,finished 8 points benind chelsea, so why cant some1 realise that we need to improve the squad big time. as re the west ham suituation, while we could have done with those 2, there is something else going on there, as some1 has already said, that will become very clear in 12 months time, even a possible takeover by MSI. dont think we ever had a hope of getting them at the way those player are "owned".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TheMonster wrote:
    please enlighten us:rolleyes:

On what exactly :rolleyes:

Who we signed or did not sign? I am sure if you are a United fan then you can figure out what positions we needed to fill and who could/should have filled them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Well, this thread was almost a complete waste of 2000-odd posts, eh?

Hopefully PHB will be along shortly with extra-strength rose-tinted specs for everyone. :rolleyes:

yop wrote:
    On what exactly :rolleyes:

Who we signed or did not sign? I am sure if you are a United fan then you can figure out what positions we needed to fill and who could/should have filled them.
    on the 20 players we could have got!!

jobonar wrote:
    cannot believe WH got those 2 and utd didn't even try to sign them!!

and you know this for certain? its obvious there is something fishy going on there - rumours of large buy out clauses are rife this morning.

Again, can people stop harping on about West Ham and why didnt united get the players they signed: See the many posts above this one discussing why United didnt get these players and the likelyhood of them ever coming to United is slim. United are not automaticilly given a God given right to sign who they want just because they are United.

Bayern stopped the OH sale, not United. Reo Coker was only fan talk-and the way West Ham are now going it is unlikely he would have wanted to leave anyway.
    So I dont know who else they could have brought in, especially since they do have some decent young midfielders coming through, although I have to say loaning Rossi surprised me. Why spend vast sums of money on players just for the sake of buying them when possibly better untried and free players are in the reserves? Remember, Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Miller, + More-These players were all thought to be good decent players when they were brought in but that hasnt been the case-why take a chance on similiar "risky" players when he has similiar options in the reserves.

There have been years when United have bought very few players and gotten rid of a lot of fringe players, and these were years long before the Glaziers ever came in.
    I am not happy with the fact that we didnt get another solid midfielder, but I still think we have a decent squad at the moment, some thing I didnt think before the summer but I have seen a lot of the younger fringe players play since and I am optimistic that many of them will break into the team and do well.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Like a lot of United fans i'm fairly disappointed by the lack of new faces in the United team. Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have improved they're squads and i Foresee a big improvment in consistency from these teams.

I still think United can beat any of these teams over the course of a season and if they maintain they're current form they'll be a match for anyone. Our current side is young and energetic and though some would say we should be beating fulham, charlton and Watford a team can only beat whats put in front of them and so far they've done that. So there is no fault in the commitment of the team.

We do however lack depth in the squad. We've no match winners from the bench that will be able to get us an important goal away from home. With the exception of Solskaer there are no experienced players that we can throw into the action that will make a difference.

From a plus point of view i now think our defence looks solid. Evra is finally showing a bit of form, Gabby has to come back in, Rio has shaved his head (so he must be good now).
    I think we'll be good to cope with CL and league in this department. Then from an attack point of view there is giggs who is in the form of his life, Saha who will give us 15-20 if he remains fit and Rooney who is probably our only world class player.

United still need 2 signings that IMO would go straight into the first 11. A world class CF and a holding CM player. It has bugged me over the summer as David Gill seems to be bit of a blunt instrument when it comes to transfer negotiations. We havent been unlucky with transfers, we've handled them badly. The timing was wrong. Perhaps Ruud did have to be sold before we could buy so that could be the reason for Carrick's transfer dragging out but there's no excuse for any of the other targets. If United had a strategy they would have bought Hargreaves before the world cup. Why is Fergie only noticing players that already have huge transfer values? Why cant he identify a world class player from a youth team? fergie no longer seems to have the vision to attain good young players and Gill doesnt have the competence to bring the best players in.

I think United will do OK this year but because we have a small squad and a lot of young players and some crap ones the wear and tare of the season will result in dropped points. I still see United finishing second but to any United fan it might as well be third or fourth.

As things stand United are not in too bad shape. However we are 2/3 injuries away from another nightmare season. Giggs is overdue his annual hamstring leave of absense, Scholes is walking a tight rope all season, Solskjaer is still a worry, Saha has a tendency to get injured also.

So really were hoping for an injury free season which does happen every now and again but a club like Manchester United should be leaving nothing to chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody Alex and Gill

im fair pissed off that they let West Ham get these players

i still think somthing isnt right here

2 of the hottest prospects in football going to a medium seize club

it isnt right

maybe West ham are going to be a feeder club

im fair pissed off that they let West Ham get these players
    Any chance you can have a read of some of the earlier posts?
    There is nothing anyone could do to stop these deals going through for reasons that will become apparent in the future.
    Have a read over my previous three posts in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Fergie and Gill didnt let it happen. Im sure they were as shocked as tthe rest of us when they heard where they were going.

MSI made it happen.

evad_lhorg wrote:

MSI made it happen.
    your right
    just heard it on sky sports

if they play well for 1 season they'll both be gone and MSI will get most of the transfer money

• Advertisement

TheMonster wrote:
    and you know this for certain? its obvious there is something fishy going on there - rumours of large buy out clauses are rife this morning.

Indeed , like most United fans I am dissapointed with yesterdys developements or should I say lack of them. I would have been very happy to see macherano in particular sign but not at any cost. United are right to stay clear if things don't seem right surrounding certain players.

I too am happy that we did not panic buy when Hargreaves was stopped form joining us. Its obvious Fergie has at least £17 million to spend Unfortunately the right player did not become available this time so heres hoping for January, hopefully that will not be too late for this season.

I don't know Muppet, each time a transfer window opens we are all hopeful of signing a big name player but of late we are not even competing it seems to me, Carrick, we paid a daft price for, if someone was bidding against us for him then fair enough but they were not!
    Hargreaves, cannot say he would be a match winner, competitive yes but I would have prefered to spent 17m on getting Duff than 17m on hargreaves.

Maybe I am been negative but following United for 30 years has given me a hunger for success, from my side of the fence, we are not signing well enough to challenge.

The Muppet wrote:
    Indeed , like most United fans I am dissapointed with yesterdys developements or should I say lack of them. I would have been very happy to see macherano in particular sign but not at any cost. United are right to stay clear if things don't seem right surrounding certain players.

I too am happy that we did not panic buy when Hargreaves was stopped form joining us. Its obvious Fergie has at least £17 million to spend Unfortunately the right player did not become available this time so heres hoping for January, hopefully that will not be too late for this season.

Barring an injury nightmare the squad we have is easily good enough to qulaify for the CL knockout and should be still in the top 2/3 of the league come January. if we are in a poistion to challenge for the league then burst the bank to get players.

i was hoping to get the new black united shirt today with a torres or macherano on the back

very very disappointed

maybe just buy the shirt and wait till January :(

whats the formation going to be now since we didnt get a defensive midfielder

may Alex will leave carrick behind scholes

Ronaldo Scholes carrick Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Could one of the mods lock this thread now its turned out to be a massive waste of time and we can no longer compete in the transfer market.

yop wrote:
    I don't know Muppet, each time a transfer window opens we are all hopeful of signing a big name player but of late we are not even competing it seems to me, Carrick, we paid a daft price for, if someone was bidding against us for him then fair enough but they were not!
    Hargreaves, cannot say he would be a match winner, competitive yes but I would have prefered to spent 17m on getting Duff than 17m on hargreaves.

Maybe I am been negative but following United for 30 years has given me a hunger for success, from my side of the fence, we are not signing well enough to challenge.

TBH Yop I can't argue with that and I would love to know what is really happening behind the scenes at United. I'm very disillusioned with football in general and Utd at the moment despite the good start to the season. I still have faith in the manager though so lets see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yop wrote:

It's a hangover from the "Golden Generation" (Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Nevilles, Giggs) etc. The quality isn't in the youth system to replace them so we have to look to buy replacements and, unless a club has an endless bank account, that's a very diificult thing to achieve.*

As well as this, Man U no longer have as much control in the market as they used to. This is probably due to the fact that we are no longer the best club in England.

*[In fairness tot he youth system, however, that was a freak emergence of top quality players which football will - probably - never see the likes of again.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Calm down lads, it's not the end of the world. Of course, we'd all love to see Mascherano, Torres or even Hargreaves to have signed, but remember we finished 2nd last season - and were almost challenging for first - with a weaker squad. Our defense has been strengthened with the return of Heinze and the form of Evra. Our midfield has been strengthened with the arrival of Carrick, the form of Giggs and the return of Scholes. Our strike force has admittedly been weakened by the departure of Van Nistelrooy, but the return of Solskjaer to the team, and of Smith to the strike force should sort that out (And hopefully Rossi's return in January will further aid that cause). OK, it will be difficult to replace Ruud, but our style of play was infinitely better last season with Saha up front than with him, so I'm happy enough.

On top of that, Arsenal are having an absolute shocker of a start to the season. Liverpool - while they have certainly made progressive signings - have hardly advanced that much, and they will always have the problem of accomodating Gerrard, Sissoko and Alonso. And Chelsea - well - they may have signed Ballack and Shevchenko, but I'm not totally convinced. The thing about Chelsea in the past two seasons was that their 4-5-1 formation allowed them to grind out results consistantly. The only teams that could beat them were the big ones - United, Liverpool, Barca (and Middlesbrough for some reason) - but they were almost flawless against the lesser Premiership teams. This season's switch to 4-4-2 is clearly directed towards European success, and while they are probably technically a better team this season, I reckon they'll be more vulnerable to the lesser Premiership teams throughout the season.

You never know....

Calm down lads, it's not the end of the world. Of course, we'd all love to see Mascherano, Torres or even Hargreaves to have signed, but remember we finished 2nd last season - and were almost challenging for first - with a weaker squad. Our defense has been strengthened with the return of Heinze and the form of Evra. Our midfield has been strengthened with the arrival of Carrick, the form of Giggs and the return of Scholes. Our strike force has admittedly been weakened by the departure of Van Nistelrooy, but the return of Solskjaer to the team, and of Smith to the strike force should sort that out (And hopefully Rossi's return in January will further aid that cause). OK, it will be difficult to replace Ruud, but our style of play was infinitely better last season with Saha up front than with him, so I'm happy enough.

On top of that, Arsenal are having an absolute shocker of a start to the season. Liverpool - while they have certainly made progressive signings - have hardly advanced that much, and they will always have the problem of accomodating Gerrard, Sissoko and Alonso. And Chelsea - well - they may have signed Ballack and Shevchenko, but I'm not totally convinced. The thing about Chelsea in the past two seasons was that their 4-5-1 formation allowed them to grind out results consistantly. The only teams that could beat them were the big ones - United, Liverpool, Barca (and Middlesbrough for some reason) - but they were almost flawless against the lesser Premiership teams. This season's switch to 4-4-2 is clearly directed towards European success, and while they are probably technically a better team this season, I reckon they'll be more vulnerable to the lesser Premiership teams throughout the season.

You never know....

What you say makes sense but the main worry for us all is if united pick up some costly injuries this year. You're speaking on a starting 11...Champions need to have strength in debth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

fade2black wrote:
    What you say makes sense but the main worry for us all is if united pick up some costly injuries this year. You're speaking on a starting 11...Champions need to have strength in debth.
    Our defence is sorted, keepers are ok, midfield lacks depth as does the front line.

At the very least we are missing a DM and a backup striker. Tevez and Mascherano would have been perfect although there were plenty other options - Reo Coker, Torres, even Defoe would have been a worthwhile addition. I think for United to have a chance of winning anything more meaningful than the Carling Cup then we have to strengthen those positions in January. Up front we are seriously sort of depth. I only pray that we have an injury free few months.

Advertisement