Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

astrofool wrote:
    they just print the opposite next week, then during the summer, whichever outcome, they print a snapshot of the article saying "we wuz right", and hence more people buy the paper and believe the stories.
    Funny, coz it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Defcon 5

RICON

CLUB: Sporting Lisbon (on loan from Manchester United)
    POSITION: Left Wing-Back / Central Defender / MidfielderFULL NAME: Carlos Eduardo de Castro Lourenço
    DATE OF BIRTH: 31 May 1987

Rincó was so nicknamed, because of a physical resemblance to Colombian legend Freddy Rincón – ironically, a former star of São Paulo's state rivals, Corinthians. Tall and muscular, the youngster's brawn serves him well, but equally eye-catching, is his explosive speed and unflagging raids down the left flank. His position as captain of the Seleção's under-17 side, was reflective of his inspirational personality and the respect that he commands amongst his team-mates.

There is no doubt that Rincó is one of Brazilian football's best regarded emerging talents, and many experts believe he will go all the way. If his own expectancies are anything to go by, then he has a big future in football. In a testament to his incredible self-belief, the 18-year-old already has designs on Roberto Carlos' place in the full Brazilian National Team! "I want to defend Brazil in the World Cup in Germany. If I don't go in 2006, I will make the squad in one of the next ones," he confidently predicted.

What about this young buck seems to have all the attributes to make it, anyone heard anything about his development?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Defcon 5 wrote:
    RICON

CLUB: Sporting Lisbon (on loan from Manchester United)
    POSITION: Left Wing-Back / Central Defender / MidfielderFULL NAME: Carlos Eduardo de Castro Lourenço
    DATE OF BIRTH: 31 May 1987

Rincó was so nicknamed, because of a physical resemblance to Colombian legend Freddy Rincón – ironically, a former star of São Paulo's state rivals, Corinthians. Tall and muscular, the youngster's brawn serves him well, but equally eye-catching, is his explosive speed and unflagging raids down the left flank. His position as captain of the Seleção's under-17 side, was reflective of his inspirational personality and the respect that he commands amongst his team-mates.

There is no doubt that Rincó is one of Brazilian football's best regarded emerging talents, and many experts believe he will go all the way. If his own expectancies are anything to go by, then he has a big future in football. In a testament to his incredible self-belief, the 18-year-old already has designs on Roberto Carlos' place in the full Brazilian National Team! "I want to defend Brazil in the World Cup in Germany. If I don't go in 2006, I will make the squad in one of the next ones," he confidently predicted.

What about this young buck seems to have all the attributes to make it, anyone heard anything about his development?

Where did you get that information on Rincon?

I have beem trying to find out about him for a while now. I knew he was supposed to be going to sporting lisbon on loan this season, but i am certain the move did not go through in the summer and i heard nothing in january about him moving. Last i heard from him he was asking his agent to sort it out so he could stay at Sao Paolo for at least another season cause he did not want to move yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Defcon 5

http://www.futebolthebrazilianwayoflife.com/new_rincon.asp

THE INFO IS A LITTLE OUT DATED IT WAS LAST UPDATED JUNE 05 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Lemlin wrote:
    Have to laugh at the English press.

The same press that had the exclusive headlines. Lets see how many you remember:

Be afraid, be vieri vieri afriad! - sun exclusive when chritian vieri signed for chelsea
    Chelsea sign Sheva - still fresh in the memory
    Gerrard has signed for the blues - another sun exclusive. (poor fan that burned his jersey on camera)
    United bag Ronaldinho - pretty much every paper apart from teh Guardian who said it was Barca rather than United.
    Adriano tapped up? - apparent secret meeting between? yes it was Chelsea and Adriano held in Milan despite the fact that Adriano was playing for Brazil, in well Brazil at the time!!!

The point being, the english media are so laughable I never believe any headlines until they have come true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

will the obi mikel saga influence things in the summer?does anybody have any news on this?there has been nothing on it for about a month now, will it ever end?

Well apparently the other two Nigerians that ****tu kidnapped have just been told by FIFA Disputes Resolution Committee to go back to Norway and complete their contract with Lyn Oslo immediately. This is despite the fact that they said that they also had signed contracts with Chelsea a la Mikel.

The contracts signed with Lyn are valid.
    Contracts signed before the age of 18 are valid.
    Lyn didn't break the contracts.

This strengthens Lyn and Uniteds case that Mikels contract was valid. But nothing can be done by FIFA until Mikels appeal against his case being thrown out of court in Norway.

personally I think he should be banned from playing international football as long as this goes on.

I wonder exactly who he is training with at the moment? :rolleyes:

Any truth in the rumours that Chelsea had arranged a behind closed doors game for him before the African Nations Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

iregk wrote:
    The same press that had the exclusive headlines. Lets see how many you remember:

Be afraid, be vieri vieri afriad! - sun exclusive when chritian vieri signed for chelsea
    Chelsea sign Sheva - still fresh in the memory
    Gerrard has signed for the blues - another sun exclusive. (poor fan that burned his jersey on camera)
    United bag Ronaldinho - pretty much every paper apart from teh Guardian who said it was Barca rather than United.
    Adriano tapped up? - apparent secret meeting between? yes it was Chelsea and Adriano held in Milan despite the fact that Adriano was playing for Brazil, in well Brazil at the time!!!

The point being, the english media are so laughable I never believe any headlines until they have come true.

That's the trash from The Sun though. I expected a bit of common sense from Teletext/Ceefax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I've seen a lot of Utd's reserve games and i reckon that Rossi may be able to be the LT replacement for Scholsey. Scholes was a striker too before he became a midfielder in the first team, i wonder whether Rossi could do the same?

IMO we need a new central midfield, Scholes and Giggs may be decent enuff in the PL but, i hate to say it, i don't think they have the engine for the games against the big european teams!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rossi would be wasted i think in midfield, Neumyar (sp!) looks like a lad with a lot of potential.

I kinda know where ur comin from, Rossi is such a good natural finisher that he may be wasted in that position....i think it may be worth lookin at though. Neumayr does look a decent player, his form has been decent enuff in the reserves but he'd need a good couple of years yet at least IMO, loans first before getting near the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also Gibson.
    Rossi is like Rooney, an attacking midfielder come striker who drops deep. Kinda like Scholes, but his passing range isn't as great, but his short passing is up there, and his ifnishing is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Dont think Rossi will be a midfielder, Fergie wants 4 Quality strikers, he has the obvious top 3 and between Solskjaer poetentially coming back to fitness and Rossi emerging he will have that over the next season/two seasons imo. Cant wait for the summer to see who comes in, I really hope there is a decent player a world class player. Best I can hope for i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Good to see that Heinze could be back this friday. He'll probably start on the bench. A great boost for the team.

United are playing some great attacking football at the moment. Not one sign of complacency in their recent games. Their attitude has been rock soild of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

thae reserves won 3-2 against real madrid reserves yesterday in dallas. campbell(2) and rossi with the goals.they are on an impressive run of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

There is meant to be outstanding reports about this young Gibson at United, along with the purchase of keeper Foster (on loan at watford) and with Pique,Jones,Rossi and Cambell coming through the ranks future looks good again.
    But on another point; Is Diarra the answer to Uniteds midfield problems? Reports today say that United are very keen, but it will take a price of similar to what Essien went for to prize him away. Is he worth that? Fergie wont have that much cash to splash in summer...looking elsewhere seems the option, where is the question

Diarra is a good player - but i wouldn't buy him at 24million, not a chance. we can't afford to spend that kind of cash on one player when we need to bring in 2 or 3.

As for where else to turn, there is nowhere really. i don't think Mascherano would be much cheaper (although a much better player) and if diarra does not go to Milan Gattuso will not be available.

We should see if barcelona will sell Xavi - he would fit into our midfield brilliantly, stringing sublime passes all over the park. He has been injured for a while and barcelona have been doing fine without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I wouldn't want United to spend more than £10 million for a player for a few years at least. We don't have the money to pay large fees, especially when we need several players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wouldn't want United to spend more than £10 million for a player for a few years at least. We don't have the money to pay large fees, especially when we need several players.

Reports in todays papers that united will have a war chest of £37.5 million in the summer. That could go a long way to sorting out the midfield provided it is not wasted on over inflated prices on sub standars players as has happened in the past.

In todays deflated market very few players are worth 24 million or anywhere near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Yep United are making the right noises about having money to spend.. Hope this doesnt mean clubs will give them a "Chelsea Price" when they go to buy players..

From looks of things Diarra is getting hyped up, like essien last summer.. His agent is doing good job of getting his name touted around..

making the right noises but actions speak louder then words, and i'll believe we are spending the cash to sign the two world class players we need when i see them on the team sheet (press conferences are no longer reliable indicators a player has actually signed.....)

• Advertisement

Anyone know anywhere open for the Utd game this friday. It's on Premplus and i don't have it at home and as it's Good Friday i assume the pubs won't be open.

Cheers

They won't be. Best bet : Buy the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im not gonna get my hopes up, were all dreaming of the likes of diarra, riquelme and mascherano and we could end up with duscher, barton and mikel! im used to every single player in europe and at the end of the day, its normally nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Boateng on a free is a possibility. Not a bad addition to the squad.
    Also Arteta was seen at the match on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TheMonster wrote:
    Also Arteta was seen at the match on Friday.
    ?
    any link to the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

?
    any link to the story
    a pic was posted on redcafe(www.redcafe.net)

resurecting the thread.
    obafemi martins from inter is now linked with the club for 17 million which is a bit too much imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Page 338 on bbc teletext has all the transfer rumours every day from the various papers. You know when you seen the sun etc in brackets afterwards that its BS, but yesterday the sunday express said that diarra was shown around old trafford last week. So if theres any truth in that then they definitely really want him. But still more than likely BS! ;)

taken from that redcafe site linked above:
    MAHAMADOU DIARRA has flown in for secret talks with Manchester United as manager Sir Alex Ferguson closes in on his £20 million main summer transfer target. Sunday Express Sport can reveal that Lyon midfielder Diarra, 24, who is also wanted by Chelsea was given the red carpet treatment by United on Thursday.

Diarra spent an hour at Old Trafford in high-powered discussions with United chief executive David Gill. He was then whisked away to United's training ground where he was shown around for two hours. It is understood that he also met manager Ferguson who is desperate to add Diarra to his squad as United look to beef up their assault on the title next season.

Ferguson knows that he can't afford to miss out on Diarra - Arjen Robben was also shown around the United facilities but opted to join Chelsea. This time United can't afford to slip up as Ferguson sees Diarra as his long awaited replacement for departed skipper Roy Keane.

He is also hoping to add Argentinian playmaker Javier Mascherano before this summer's World Cup finals get under way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Personally I have my doubts about Diarra. My ideal signings would be Carrick and Riquelme, please Santa, please!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

playmaker?

If I had a choice of what to do about United's midfield I'd do the following.

Spend 20 million on Diarra

Spend 10 million on Mascherano
    OR
    Spend 10 million on Reo-Coker

Get Boetang on a free

Diarra kept Kaka and Pirlo in his pocket, that's good enough for me. Also note, Slyvestre is likely to be sold. Houllier is a huge huge fan. We might get Diarra for say 13 + Slyvestre knowing the skills that Houllier shows in the transfer market

Carrick isn't good enough imo, Reo-Coker has incredible potential to be the new Roy Keane.
    Mascherano is similar to Reo-Coker, makes driving runs through the middle, but how much he would cost is unknown to me, I said 10, but it could be 15.

Boetang plays a key role in Europe for Boro, and he is a good squad player.

This would leave United with:

Diarra - Reo/Masch - Scholes - Boetang - Fletcher - Jones - Gibson

I'm fairly sure that'd be a top quality midfield that could make United up those 12 points
    --

I have a suspicion that might happen, although I'm not sure if Boetang will be signed.
    If Masch is gona be signed, it has to be pre-world cup, otherwise his value will sky-rocket.

We don't need a Kaka in midfield. We have enough creative talent to score in any game. What we need is players who can take over the midfield, who can dictate the tempo of the game and impose a physical presense.

I think we do need a creative midfielder too. Scholes may not return and even if he does hes getting on in the years.

i like the look of the players you mentioned phb. that would leave us with a very good midfield. i have mentioned before that we should get reo-coker he is captain of the hammers and he is only 20-21

I think we do need a creative midfielder too. Scholes may not return and even if he does hes getting on in the years.

Why do we need one?
    It's not like Diarra and Reo/Masch would be tools, they can make an incisive pass. We have enough creative talent in Ronaldo/Rooney than most people have in an entire team. Combine that with Giggs/Park, and Scholes chipping in, we can score a lot of goals.
    Our problem this year has been concedding

• Advertisement

yeah we need DMF more than creative ones (giggs,ronaldo,park,scholes, and rooney) let them do the creating. we need someone like makelale(sp) that is un-noticed in a match but does his job superbly

PHB wrote:
    Why do we need one?
    It's not like Diarra and Reo/Masch would be tools, they can make an incisive pass. We have enough creative talent in Ronaldo/Rooney than most people have in an entire team. Combine that with Giggs/Park, and Scholes chipping in, we can score a lot of goals.
    Our problem this year has been concedding

My point was that we need two midfielders, one attack minded, the other defensive minded. So if you are saying here that you would take Diarra with one of Reo/Masch that is more than enough for me. I also made the point that Scholes may not return next year and if he does he is getting on in the years. With that in mind I think it was feasible to say that we need a creative midfielder.

A creative midfielder is somebody like Scholes, Kaka, Ballack, Lampard who doesn't do much work in the tackling front. I'd argue we don't need somebody like that.

What we need is a pure DMC and a MC.

A DMC is somebody like Makelele, and in our case Diarra. Almost purely defensive.

A MC is a box-to-box style player, in the mould of Reo-Coker or Keane in his prime.

An MC provides some creative impetus, but not a massive amount. The rest will have to be done by the wingers and strikers.

PHB

Just to make things worse, I heard that we were offered Reo Coker by MK Dons and turned him down!

Still like to see him sign for us though. Think Paul Ince without the ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Rumour has it that Vieira will leave Juve in the summer? Does anyone think he could be an option if, which i feel may happen, Chelsea decide they dont want us having Diarra, so £20m could become £30m. Viera could probably be signed for £8m ish?

• Advertisement

i dont think he would go back to england and definately not to united

Chelsea have no say in this I think.
    Diarra is a younger makelele, unless they intend to offload him, no player would be stupid enough to think they could take over Makelele's place.

Vieira to United stories have existed for years. When I see him in the shirt, I'll believe it. He's getting a bit old now anyway, would only get 2 years outta him, also I doubt he'd ever play with Van Nist.

p.s.

Don't forget about Obi Mikel.
    Even if he never plays for us, we will make a profit of maybe 10 million on him, or more importantly, be able to offer him in exchange to somebody.

what is happening with obi mikel i have not heard much about him in a while

PHB wrote:
    A creative midfielder is somebody like Scholes, Kaka, Ballack, Lampard who doesn't do much work in the tackling front. I'd argue we don't need somebody like that.

What we need is a pure DMC and a MC.

A DMC is somebody like Makelele, and in our case Diarra. Almost purely defensive.

A MC is a box-to-box style player, in the mould of Reo-Coker or Keane in his prime.

An MC provides some creative impetus, but not a massive amount. The rest will have to be done by the wingers and strikers.

Dont get me wrong. First and foremost we need a DMC. Once that is signed I am of the opinion that we need a creative midfielder. We need goals from midfield. Which with the exception of Ronaldo we did not get this year. Id be surprised if OShea and Flethcher have more than two or three between them. Giggs scored a few in a row but definitely has no more than five. I can only remember Park scoring twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd say the true makings of Park will be seen next season, good or bad. There's been times where the team has been short of midfielders, but Park still hasn't played (even though he does play important games), implying that Ferguson has been easing him into the side and the premiership style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i dont think Diarra will be moving

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4963028.stm

he'll cost to much any way

BFassassin wrote:
    what is happening with obi mikel i have not heard much about him in a while

Nothing happening until the appeal of the earlier Norwegian court decision (in favour of Lyn and United) due in November. It should be in our favour as the previous hearing said that it was a matter for the Norwegian FA to sort out.

UEFA are running scared of this one because if Mikel did win his case on the basis of I'm 18 and I don't want to honour the contract I signed then the nightmare scenario of players contracts not being worth the paper they're written on (more so than now that is) comes into effect. Basically clubs like Chelsea will try and steal more players despite them being under contract to their original clubs.

But UEFA have ruled on the case of the other two Nigerian players that ****tu kidnapped, saying that their contracts signed with Lyn were valid despite the fact that they weren't 18 when they signed them. They also threw out ****tus claim that both players had signed precontracts with Chelsea (just like Obi Mikel). So things not looking good for him there.

Chelsea don't come out of this at all well. But then again Abramovich doesn't care as long as Mikel doesn't play for us, funding spurious, drawn out court cases is still a win situation for him. When Mikel is ordered to honour his contract with us he will probably be sold abroad. Mind you Chelsea might still want him, but they will have to pay (give us Duff maybe :D )

so it wont be sorted until novenmber:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He should arrive at OT just in time for his final big career payday.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't want Riquelme from what I have seen of him. He would not be suited to Utd.

I would adore it if we got Mascherano. He is not in the starting 11 for Argentina but only because of Sorin and even with that, he may get a place. He is a brilliant midfielder. However...Chelsea apparantly have the final say on him if conspiracy theories are to be believed about Abramovich's links...

• Advertisement
Advertisement