Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Most of Carrick's contribution will go unnoticed, making it very hard to judge him a success or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

astrofool wrote:
    Most of Carrick's contribution will go unnoticed

That phrase is one of my pet hates! What sort of things are you talking about exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He'll stealthily pick off the enemy team via sniper rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

astrofool wrote:
    Most of Carrick's contribution will go unnoticed, making it very hard to judge him a success or not.

not if you read the game well it wont, besides Carricks main so called contributional skills is when he has the ball at his feet, or when he looks for the ball to create space...in which both circumstances are impossible not to notice

Well he certainly ain't a massive goalscorer! 10 goals in 200 games, 2 of which were for Swindon in Division One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Heard this morning on Today FM and read on the Star that United have put a down payment of EUR5m on Torres. Of course cant find it anywhere online.

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2006/1003/1158591321760.html

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/overseas/spain/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/10/03/manual_085324.html&TEAMHD=spain

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp?j=197280404&p=y97z8yyyx&t=soccer

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=94&si=99338

Manchester United have reportedly reached a deal to sign Spanish international Fernando Torres next summer for £26m.

The Premiership side have been linked with a move for the 22-year-old Atletico Madrid striker for some time.

Torres, who was one of the stars of this summer's World Cup, has also been linked with Chelsea, but reports in the British media today say United are to make a down-payment of £5m in order to secure his signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

:):):):):):):):)

now for Pirlo. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I doubt they'd go for Pirlo after splashing £18m on Carrick. a tough tackling midfielder is still needed at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eirebhoy wrote:
    . a tough tackling midfielder is still needed at United.
    but who ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

but who ??
    Hargreaves I suppose. :)

nah last i heard he had his leg amputated:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

Hargreaves is expected back before Christmas I read, the break wasn't "one of the bad ones*"

*There was me thinking every break was bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Has this been confirmed????

That would be a great signing although we still need a combatitive midfielder. I really don´t think Carrick will be up to the task in the midfield against the top European teams. He needs a makalele beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Not confirmed AFAIK and it is just more spin put out by the club (or those assocaited with it) for propaganda purposes. Look at all the players that we were linked with over the summer. We could nearly have two squads if they all arrived. Expect more of this when it comes to season ticket renewal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But there has been no denial from the other club?

seansouth wrote:
    But there has been no denial from the other club?

exactly...im quietly confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

sprinkles wrote:
    That would be a great signing although we still need a combatitive midfielder.
    On the BBC they had this...

" West Ham's reported decision to pull out of takeover talks is likely to mean Argentine duo Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano leave in January. (Daily Mirror) "

It's just Gossip from a tabloid but if anything like that happened, im sure ManU would be definitely interested in Mascherano come January.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The only problem with Mascherano though, he would be cup tied and unless the price was right, they may not be interested. In all fairness he has not done any think with West Ham since he joined them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

That Toulalan guy of Lyon would be perefect for Uniteds midfield dont know if he's under contract tho or what, he'd be just as good as Maschenrano.

its really tough to comment on players in the french league because the quality of teams is much lower so they can look a lot better.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    its really tough to comment on players in the french league because the quality of teams is much lower so they can look a lot better.

Well thats true but Lyon are in a diffrent class than all the teams in the french league & Id put them up there with all the top teams in Europe, finacial issues is the main reason the likes of the French league, Dutch, Brazilian etc... cant compete with La Liga,Pem & Series A,
    The french league has been a stepping stone for some of the best players in the past few years Henry, Trezeguet,Zidane etc.... just like the Brazilian league has with people like Romario,Ronhaldino, Ronaldo etc...
    And let me point out he destroyed every attack Real Madrid tried to set-up last month in the CL & the same with Bucharest.
    Its very easy to overlook a player because of a average league he plays in but hey, you have to start somewhere, hence the whole Maschenrano thing he was only playing for Corinthians a few weeks ago who lets face it arent world beaters but that dosent mean Mascherano isnt a world class player.
    Well Anyway what I have seen from Toulalan so far this season he looks like he could be a world class player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Poor Lyon, they seem to pull tough central midfielders out of the woodwork, but the worldwide demand for them is so high that they can't seem to keep them. Essien last summer, Diarra this summer and now Toulalan, if boards.ie are to get their wish.

sure Diarra went to Real and hasnt been much use so far anyway.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    sure Diarra went to Real and hasnt been much use so far anyway.

You could say the same about Cannavaro & sure Diarra scored a winning goal for them in one of there league matches 2 weeks ago its Emerson who's the problem there not Diarra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Terrible disappointed about this, but it looks like Jones may be on his way out. How Fergie isn't giving him a chance is utterly beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Probably on his way to Real Madrid to fill Zidane's boots.

Apparently he is that good.

PHB wrote:
    Terrible disappointed about this, but it looks like Jones may be on his way out. How Fergie isn't giving him a chance is utterly beyond me.
    Where's he off to?

To be honest I haven't seen enough of him to comment but you (and a few others) seem to think he's the future. How good is he really?? Do you honestly believe he could be a united regular?

I find it incredible that he's not getting a run out.

There's a link in the tabloids today for Nani (sporting Lisbon). He's a target for united, although who isn't.

Link

Probably on his way to Real Madrid to fill Zidane's boots.

Apparently he is that good.

haha

Im more looking forward to evans coming through, though id rather see a midfielder not a cb progressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I'd half believe the torres stuff, £5m downpayment then get him next summer, good business

We still need a cm, hargreaves looks the target even with his injury

• Advertisement

so what did all think of the performance today, against a somewhat disappointing Wigan? Rooney had a great 2nd half, Evra, Saha, Solskjaer and Scholes played well...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Trilla wrote:
    so what did all think of the performance today, against a somewhat disappointing Wigan? Rooney had a great 2nd half, Evra, Saha, Solskjaer and Scholes played well...
    Good second half performance. Will have to do alot better to beat Liverpool next weekend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Manchester United and Chelsea are targeting River Plate striker Gonzalo Higuain. (The People)

Chelsea, Manchester United and Real Madrid will battle it out for 17-year-old DC United winger Freddy Adu's signature at the end of the season. (News of the World, also in start and mirror on friday)

Portsmouth are trying to stave off Manchester United's bid to snatch Portugal star Manuel Fernandes, who is on loan from Benfica for the season. (News of the World)

Thought we were far more comfortable 442.
    I think we'll do alright against liverpool next week, we've Ronaldo and Heinze to come back into the fold.

Saha took his goal very well esp after missing that sitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Manchester United and Chelsea are targeting River Plate striker Gonzalo Higuain. (The People)

Chelsea, Manchester United and Real Madrid will battle it out for 17-year-old DC United winger Freddy Adu's signature at the end of the season. (News of the World, also in start and mirror on friday)

Portsmouth are trying to stave off Manchester United's bid to snatch Portugal star Manuel Fernandes, who is on loan from Benfica for the season. (News of the World)

Adu is quoted on SSN that he is in talks with Madrid, United and Chelsea and cant wait to play for the club that offers him the best deal. So thats United out of the equation.

Theres a lot of talk about wingers and strikers, I find it hard to believe that we wont sign a holding midfielder in January. Its clear Carrick is not going to break down any opposition attacks. Proof of which, O'Shea starting against Arsenal. O'Shea is not good enough in that role either.

Its clear Carrick is not going to break down any opposition attacks

Carrick has done his fair share of defensive work. He may not get stuck in, but he intercepts passes well.
    O'Shea does very little in that role, is just an extra man in front of the defense.
    I do think another midfield will be brought in, but I wish Fergie would just **** it and play Jones and Fletcher instead, and screw defense. However, I think we could see Senna being bought or other some such player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

rossi has had a disaster in newcastle, they just wont play him, read else where that before today, he had played a grand total of 41 minutes,6 minutes today, that is a disgrace.

newcastle do not deserve him, its time to recall him and either keep him or else send him to somewhere like reading, sheffield united or fulham,christ, even rangers, places where he will get a game and experience, seems to be working for foster and lee martin at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

On the point of Lee Martin anyone have any idea of how long he's out for? picked up an injury (knee i think) and came back to Manchester for a scan!

I think he has lots of potential, wouldn't like an injury to set him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

PHB wrote:
    Carrick has done his fair share of defensive work. He may not get stuck in, but he intercepts passes well.

Its not fair to expect him to have to do it, he is not that type of player which is why we need to sign again. Senna would suit me just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

rossi has had a disaster in newcastle, they just wont play him, read else where that before today, he had played a grand total of 41 minutes,6 minutes today, that is a disgrace.

newcastle do not deserve him, its time to recall him and either keep him or else send him to somewhere like reading, sheffield united or fulham,christ, even rangers, places where he will get a game and experience, seems to be working for foster and lee martin at the minute.
    He was never going to walk into the Newcastle team, especially with Martins and Ameobi playing quite well lately (despite the fact that we keep losing). Also, maybe he hasn't impressed much on the training gorund, who knows? Ferguson has done Newcastle a big favour by giving us a back up striker which we badly needed, but that doesn't mean we're gonna do you guys a favour by dropping our first choice strikers so Rossi can gain some Premiership experience.

• Advertisement

Senna, that deal died at the end of august, and there ain't gonna be a lazurus style ressurection of it in my opinion, he signed a new contract with Villareal afterwards, and that means his cost has probably gone up three fold.

I could see us going in for Hargreaves again.

I know we keep hearing it, but having Ole, Smithy and Heinze back in the squad is like having three new players from what we had last season. Delighted to see Ole scoring again, and it gives SAF options.

Re Rossi, i don't think he expected to get into the newcastle side straight off, there are a lot of games between now and january, and he'll get his chance that i am sure, cos one of the other two could get injured...

Our best 11 in my opinion is (442)

****** VDS*****
    Nev Vidic Rio Heinze
    Ronaldo Scholes Carrick Giggs
    Rooney Saha

Options include Brown, O'Shea, Evra, Silvestre in defence
    Midfield we've Park to come back, Fletcher, O'Shea if stuck, Richardson
    Up front, Ole, and Smithy

Things arent that bad, and i think we'll do alright against liverpool this weekend! Roll on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

With Ronaldo and Giggs back to full fitness it looks like John O Shea could be heading for a spell on the bench. Team to play Liverpool I reckon will be:
    Van Der Saar Neville Ferdinand Vidiv Evra Ronaldo Scoles Carrick Giggs Rooney Saha.

Oh and slightly off topic but the weekly award for the best nickname to a footballer is gonna have to go to Wigans Fitz Hall. Found out on Saturday his nickname is....... One Size. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pighead wrote:
    With Ronaldo and Giggs back to full fitness it looks like John O Shea could be heading for a spell on the bench. Team to play Liverpool I reckon will be:
    Van Der Saar Neville Ferdinand Vidiv Evra Ronaldo Scoles Carrick Giggs Rooney Ronaldo

have we cloned Ronaldo? if so, great! we'll be unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The liverpool game will be very tough - harder then the arsenal game imo. Their midfield should own the United midfield - it is just so much stronger then ours, just look at how badlky we did against them in the FA Cup last season. We need big performances from Rio, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, Rooney and Ronaldo - its games like this that not having a midfield tackler will really be shown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

loyatemu wrote:
    have we cloned Ronaldo? if so, great! we'll be unstoppable.
    Pighead has no idea what you're talking about. If you're trying to say I made a mistake, you're wrong buddy. Very Wrong. Nearly as wrong as PHB has been throughout this thread!

Nicely edited PH

Pighead has no idea what you're talking about. If you're trying to say I made a mistake, you're wrong buddy. Very Wrong. Nearly as wrong as PHB has been throughout this thread!

If I'm nearly as wrong as that, I must not be wrong at all. Glad to hear it.

Aside from that, Pique scored for Zaragoza, which should be good for his first team opportunities. However he apparently has a clause guarenteeing him games. As for Rossi, he choose Newcastle himself, so he has to show that he can make it there, cause if he can't force his way past Amoebi and Martins, he isn't good enough for United. He needs some games, but he has gotta take his chance. If he had created/scored in those 6 minutes, he'd be starting next week. It's really up to him, but I think he can do it

Rossi wont make it. he is too small and wont develop muh further than he has now.

Yeh, just like that Scholes guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Rossi wont make it. he is too small and wont develop muh further than he has now.
    Time will tell,
    He will make it into the newcastle first team before Christmas. I think he will do well.

Advertisement