Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,14272,6107_1668823,00.html

Freddy Adu a possible Man Utd player... very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is probaly Nike at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

pity, he's has a massive bag of potential. Personally Im more interested as to what Fergie will do this January, if anything at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Tauren wrote:
    Some say he is little more then hypeand hasn't really progressed over the last few years, also that he is too small and wouldn't be able to compete in the premiership.
    To be honest, I wouldn't take anyone who writes off a 17 year old as "too small for the Premiership" views seriously.

Have they never heard of the human growth cycle?

sky sports news say that he is coming the end of the month for the trial mixed wires caused the original u-turn on the story. may be signed in January with an eye for him to be a 1st team squad player the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

according to reports on Man U site and Skysports site the story is rubbish - would be safer to say he is not going to Man U. Maybe Real will swap Becks for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

As far as I know he is unable to leave until he turns 18 next Summer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

sofireland wrote:
    Didn't robben train with us?
    Then went to chelsea,

Robben was Kenyon's deal

when he went to Chelsea he brought Robben with him effectively

the dirty scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

sundula wrote:
    according to reports on Man U site and Skysports site the story is rubbish - would be safer to say he is not going to Man U. Maybe Real will swap Becks for him
    That position has obviously changed:

Manchester United have confirmed to Sky Sports News that American teenager Freddy Adu will link up with the club for a two-week trial.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that the DC United ace was to spend two weeks with the Premiership giants later this month.

United earlier moved to reject the report but have now made a U-turn on their previous stance.

The 17-year-old is expected to link up with the Premiership giants towards the end of the month to allow him to get a taste of English football.

If he impresses manager Sir Alex Ferguson, The Red Devils could step up their bid to land the Ghana-born striker in January.

Adu turns 18 next June and would therefore be eligible to move to Europe ahead of next season, but United may look to wrap up a deal as soon as possible.

However, they are likely to face stiff competition from across Europe with clubs such as Chelsea and Real Madrid also linked with the teenage sensation.

But United appear to have stolen a march on their rivals by luring him to Old Trafford for a short trial.

Adu still has a year remaining on his contract with DC United but is known to be a fan of The Premiership and could look to quit MLS for England next year.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=427732&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=United+confirm+Adu+arrival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Garret, I would retract that last comment fairly quickly if I were you.
    Kippy

sundula wrote:

from BBC
    ----

Man Utd confirm interest in Adu

Chelsea have also been linked with 17-year-old Adu
    Manchester United are attempting to negotiate a two-week trial for American teenager Freddy Adu in November.
    The club initially rejected reports that the 17-year-old striker, who plays Major League Soccer for DC United, would visit Old Trafford.

However, it has now emerged that negotiations are under way.

Adu has also been linked with Chelsea and could be available for transfer in January, providing a fee can be agreed with MLS, who own his registration.

DC United's domestic season ended at the weekend after they lost a play-off at the hands of New England Revolution.

After the game Adu said there had been "some serious talks" that could lead to him playing elsewhere next year and his comments heightened speculation over his future.

"I'd like to be back but my ultimate goal is to go overseas and if it comes sooner rather than later, I'll take it," he added.

Adu has played three seasons for DC United, having joined them at the age of 14.

Although there is only one year remaining on his contract with MLS, there is an option for two more for the Ghana-born player, who has been hailed as the great hope of American soccer.

Any potential move to Europe will be permissible under international transfer rules when he turns 18 in June 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Being in the US, I watch a lot of MLS and here's my view on Adu. He has improved many aspects of his game and has matured more since he started with DC United(scum that they are) 3 years ago. He has great close control, better than any American player out there(don't know if thats saying much :p). He usually plays on the left side attacking midfield, not really a winger though I do think he is more suited in the middle. He is a little smallish but that should not hinder him.
    Now if he does go to a Man Utd or a Chelsea, don't expect to see him starting right away. He will take time. But he does have great potential and he still is only 17. Well, 17-ish as some suspect he is actually a year or two more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Garret wrote:
    Robben was Kenyon's deal

when he went to Chelsea he brought Robben with him effectively

the dirty scumbag
    Kenyon was well gone from United by the time the Robben deal came round, he may have sealed the deal for Chelsea, but it was Gill that screwed it for united. If Gill hadn't try to low-ball PSV Robben would be a United player.

Yep. Just saw Sky - looks like Obi Mark 2, if there this much hassle with him getting a trial imagine the transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

adu is nothing special

I have seen him a few times, he wanders in and out of matches and i dont know about all this hype. As most things here in america are hyped up to the max so i wouldnt get my hopes that he is the next ronaldo or giggs.

Last sunday he played ok againt NE revs in the eastern conference final but he was subbed and didnt look too happy. It was no suprise that they lost. Go revs on sunday against Housten where a scottish manager will be up against an english manager in the final of the MLS.

Who knows what age adu really is as it was common for players from african nations to lie about their age.

Was Adu born in the US ?

he was born in ghana as far as i remember. Him and his family moved over when he was young.

sundula wrote:
    Was Adu born in the US ?

Sorry - I see he was born in Ghana - so its possible he could be 32.

galwaydude wrote:
    adu is nothing special

I have seen him a few times, he wanders in and out of matches and i dont know about all this hype. As most things here in america are hyped up to the max so i wouldnt get my hopes that he is the next ronaldo or giggs.

Last sunday he played ok againt NE revs in the eastern conference final but he was subbed and didnt look too happy. It was no suprise that they lost. Go revs on sunday against Housten where a scottish manager will be up against an english manager in the final of the MLS.

Who knows what age adu really is as it was common for players from african nations to lie about their age.

I'll be pulling for the Revs on Sunday too. BTW, Dominic Kinnear was born in Glasgow, not England. Also he play for the US.

The other thing about Adu is that he complains a lot when things don't go his way. In he first year and last year, he was mainly used as a sub and complained about that. Then he expected to be part of the US team for the World Cup and started saying that he might opt for Ghana instead.

• Advertisement

he just looks older than 18 thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There was an American talking about him on SSN. He said he's just an above average MLS player. When asked why he wasn't in the US world cup squad if he's so good he just said he wasn't good enough for the US squad.

galwaydude wrote:
    he just looks older than 18 thats all.

I agree, and its possible. Just look at that Eriberto from Cheivo a couple of years ago - he was 3 or 4 years older than his passport said and then they discovered his name wasnt even Eriberto

I was only messing with the 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

galwaydude wrote:

It's not that they lie about their age, it's that births aren't registered immediately in the poorer African nations. When they eventually do have to register the birth the parents often get the year wrong or can't remember precisely when the child was born. I remember reading somewhere recently that a lot of African people who can't remember specific birth dates have their birthday registered as the 1st July as it's exactly half-way through the year.

There was an article in Sports Illustrated 4-5 years ago about the Adu birthcert. They tried to investigate but apparently couldnt comfirm that is was incorrect. So who knows.

Edit...found the article:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/03/03/freddy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm surprised that Ferguson would actually consider Adu. From what i can make out he already has a very inflated opinion of himself, and has already began the process of selling his soul to sponsorship on the grand scale (aren't these among the reasons why Ferguson dropped and eventually sold Beckham?).

Also, on the playing front from what little i've seen he looks more of a headless chicken than Ronaldo at times and the defenses in the MLS just seem to back off him and make space for him to run into. I can't see him survivng a day in the premiership right now and i doubt he'd have the patience to spend 2 or 3 years in the reserves til he adapts.

i suspect this is all the work of Nike, i can't find a reason why Ferguson would gamble on him. there are far better players his age out there without they hype and the inflated ego's tha he'd be better off gambling on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

i can't find a reason why Ferguson would gamble on him
    What gamble is a 2 week trial exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Looks like Smith is heading to Cardiff to get some first team action and the rumours about Adu are confirmed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

It would appear that Smithy wants to stay and fight for his place:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=427921&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Smith+focused+on+United Alan Smith's agent insists the player wants to fight for his place at Manchester United after being linked with a loan move to Cardiff.

Cardiff are thought to have enquired about taking Smith on loan to bolster their promotion bid.

Smith, who has battled back to fitness this season after picking up a serious ankle injury last February, has struggled to hold down a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's side this season.

Ferguson is believed to be considering letting Smith go out on loan so that he can get some regular first-team action under his belt.

Smith has made only four appearances for United this season after reverting back to a forward role.

The player's representative Alex Black was in the dark regarding the speculation linking Smith with Cardiff and insists the former Leeds man is focusing on establishing himself back in the United side.

"I don't know what the situation is regarding interest from Cardiff," Black told skysports.com

"From Alan's point of view he is working hard to get his fitness back.

"He is not looking to go anywhere.

"His priority is to get fit and try and win his place in the United side."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Read that myself, don't think United expected Smith to be anywhere near match fit til december time, especially after such a horrific leg break.

It mightn't be a bad idea, but we're a bit thin up top at the moment, with ole out and rossi at newcastle.

He'll get games i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Surprised at this. I was expecting Smith to play a big part this year once he got back to full fitness.

I don't think he'll be let go,
    he's obviously short of match fitness, they'll have to nurture him on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Strange if they let him go, we will be very short if he does

Man U seem to have given permission and Leeds are supposed to be interested know. Might say something about how highly or lowly they rate Smith at United

Taken from BBC
    "He really needs football and reserve team football is really for the youth team and doesn't present the right challenge for an experienced player like Alan."

There is a bit of risk about sending him out but in the present situation he needs games quickly."

Both quotes attributed to fergie, he's right, but if he goes we're short up top, shorter than we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It would be a surprise at this stage with Solskjaer injured and Rossi at Newcastle until january. An injury to either Saha or Rooney and there'd be problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

get rid of him in january he's a waste of space. stupid tackler, cant score, absolute cocky fecker as well. was never worth the time or money

Gotta say one thing about smith, he's got guts,

Hopefully it'll work out for him in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Was watching the Barca v Zaragoza game last night and Pique got a run late on as Milito got sent off. Score was 1-1 at the time and he gave away the free kick that Ronaldinho scored from.

Ended 3-1 thanks to a sound asleep linesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do you think the adu trial will actually take place or what?

stories over the weekend in various papers were links to makoun, torres and reo coker in january, with the usual stories about hargreaves. i think that we definately will sign some1 in the next transfer window.

With smith off form, ole out, we badly lacking quality upfront bar the main 2, but suppose you could play scholes/ronaldo/giggs up there if really stuck as an emergency.

interestingly enough, saw an interview with SAF where he said that loosing Park is a massive blow as he is " one of the most under rated players that i have ever had at this club". he should be back in 3-4 weeks to give another wing option to rest giggs and ronaldo.

i remain confident that our first 11 can rattle chelsea and puch for the league. the difference is that injuries will hurt us alot more than them, especially in midfield. I feel that we are now as strong if not stronger than them defensively and our attack is better overall. However,if we loose 2 or even 1 of our main 4 in midfield, this is where chelsea have the edge.

well Becks aint comin back!

Beckham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I think Fergie will take the same stance he took in the summer, if the right players are not available, he wont sign.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Didn't PHB say that David Jones is the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Didn't PHB say that David Jones is the future?

PHB says lots of stuff!

PHB wrote:
    There are no players in the premiership that we could get that would be worth buying, as all of them playing for Chelsea, Liverpool, and one from Arsenal.

But... .but what about Carrick?

PHB wrote:
    Thing about RUud is, he is about to be top scorer or be close to it in the World Cup.
    Slightly off the mark there. He fell agonisingly short, bagging 1 goal.

PHB wrote:
    Furthermore, the second he comes availible, name me a club who wouldn't want him. You could maybe name 2, 3 at most.
    Ruud has 3 more years in him at peak level, which for the club he joins, is a min 60 goals, maybe 90.
    Anyone who thinks United wouldn't get at least 20 million for him is just being silly.
    Who you calling silly buddy?:)
    PHB wrote:
    But luckilly, he has come out today and said that he wants to stay. United have said they want him to stay. Everyone wants him to stay. He is staying!
    Now that was silly!

PHB wrote:
    Fergie was at the Lyon vs. Milan game last night, so it's gona be Diarra or Gattuso
    Nope, fraid not.

PHB wrote:
    Carrick isn't good enough imo, Reo-Coker has incredible potential to be the new Roy Keane.
    Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and Pigheads not gonna slate you for that........
    PHB wrote:
    Currently United's plans are going too well.
    Selling Ronaldo and Ruud, not getting in Diarra nor Torres, and appear to be just signing Carrick (which is a good signing imo)
    But I've got faith in Fergie, he'll sort it out.
    Ah PHB, you had to go and ruin it! Oh and Ronaldo is still with Man Utd by the way.

PHB wrote:
    If we buy a new striker and one midfielder we will not win the premiership I think, unless they are unreal, which they won't be cause it will cost to much for both.

Not doing too bad so far. And Fergie didn't even bother with the striker!
    PHB wrote:
    VDS has another two years in him, after that, it's Howard or Foster who is going to be Uniteds next keeper.
    Pigheads money is on Kuszczak
    PHB wrote:
    Carrick is looking unlikely, so it seems Reo-Coker is coming into the picture which I'm happy about.

The summer is not going well for United at all at all.
    Nope
    PHB wrote:
    I'll be very very sad to see Ronaldo leave United, but I imagine it'll be for about 30 million. It was always coming, but I had hoped to keep him until about 26-27. Alas, he will be replaced, and in the short term, United will be a better team.

Well, now United's transfer are going to be nuts.

For now, I'm praying all four teams in Italy get relegated. Furthermore, Ronaldo better be sold before then, otherwise his price will go down.

Bye Ronaldo, thanks for the memories
    Don't be sad PHB, wipe those tears buddy. He's staying. As for United being a better team without him. Are you sure? He's Utds Player of the season thus far methinks.

PHB wrote:
    We need a second midfielder brought in along with Carrick.
    Vieira would be ok, but not preferable. I'd like somebody with a little bit of creativity rather than just drive.

Carrick - Scholes - Jones - ??
    Think its time to let this Jones thing go buddy. Anyway wheres Giggsy and Ronaldo in that midfield of yours?
    PHB wrote:
    With the signing of Carrick I'm quite happy
    Carrick is a MC, gets the tackles in and can pass the ball very well.
    Well you've certainly changed your tune buddy! What happened to:
    PHB wrote:
    Carrick isn't good enough imo

PHB wrote:
    Jones will play, he is good enough, and Rooney and Ronaldo will drag us through.
    Presume your talking Carling Cup here?
    PHB wrote:
    United are shaping up to revert to a 4-3-3 next year, or more accurately, a 4-2-3-1
    Or even more accurately a 4-4-1-1!

Anyway enough of that messing.
    COME ON IRELAND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

LOL I think you have a fan PHB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

RasTa wrote:
    LOL I think you have a fan PHB.
    Tis true, PHB has long been a hero to Pighead. He makes my knees wobble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Haha I didn't know PHB was so off the ball, I'll have to disregard everything he says here from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PATRICE EVRA claims he hates living in Manchester and that he and his family have to huddle under a blanket to keep warm. Full Story
    Poor footballers, my heart go out to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement