Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kinaldo wrote:
    Haha I didn't know PHB was so off the ball, I'll have to disregard everything he says here from now on.
    He just gets excited now and again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just a quick question to Man U supporters
    I was wondering if Vidic will be a regular for the rest of the season, see i have Rio in my fantasy team but need a bit of extra cash so i can get scholes in for the injured Cahill, my reasoning is that if vidic gets the same amount of games as Rio, they will have similar scores at the end of season...
    So do people think he will hold regular place, also i presume evra wont hold regular place if there are no injuries
    thanks

I was wondering if Vidic will be a regular for the rest of the season, see i have Rio in my fantasy team but need a bit of extra cash so i can get scholes in for the injured Cahill, my reasoning is that if vidic gets the same amount of games as Rio, they will have similar scores at the end of season...
    So do people think he will hold regular place, also i presume evra wont hold regular place if there are no injuries
    thanks

I did exactly what your suggesting last week, and I also believe he'll bag another two goals before the end of the season...something Rio tends not to do. If Vidic is fit, he plays. Miles ahead of Brown, Silvestre and Johnny O Shea.

Unless...........they start playing Heinze as a CB.

doubt it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Trilla wrote:
    I did exactly what your suggesting last week, and I also believe he'll bag another two goals before the end of the season...something Rio tends not to do. If Vidic is fit, he plays. Miles ahead of Brown, Silvestre and Johnny O Shea.

Unless...........they start playing Heinze as a CB.

doubt it though!

Yea, was thinking as much and the fact i dont like Rio either makes it easier, thanks Trilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke!
    I'm sure that wouldn't have happened at united!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

thanks

I'm a City fan and even I can admit what a great defender Vidic is. Stuck him into my team the morning of his first goal this season and haven't looked back since. Forget Rio, Vidic gets you great points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Vidic only has 9 less FF points than Rio, even though he missed the first five games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

He has apologised to moaninho. [sarcasm]I hope everything goes well for him [/sarcasm]... may he rot in hell*

*chelsea's spoiled star ridden bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

LOL I think you have a fan PHB.

I know, you think it's too soon to ask for his number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

cant believe nothing has been said about the stories being thrown around the papers today with oshea and brown being offered up as part of the hargreaves deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

evad_lhorg wrote:
    cant believe nothing has been said about the stories being thrown around the papers today with oshea and brown being offered up as part of the hargreaves deal.

Where'd you see this?? Heard nothing about it.

If its true then great. Wes is good but is not gonna get in ahead of Vidic or Rio and O shea can feck off back to waterford utd for all i care.

id rather keep wes than silvestre tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

PHB wrote:
    I know, you think it's too soon to ask for his number?
    Pighead could give you his number but knowing you you'd probably write it down incorrectly.
    Personally i'm not too sure the Brown/O'Shea swap for Hargreaves would be a good deal. Fair enough Hargreaves had a decent World Cup but at the end of the day he's slightly above average at best. Brown has the potential to be a United legend.

Bayern Munich claim Germany's tax laws make it impractical to sell Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United.

Chairman of the executive board Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insisted Bayern will again rebuff any United overtures for the England midfielder in January.

Rummenigge said: "We thought about what to do if we got a good offer, but only the finance minister would be happy.

"Even if we got 30m euros we can only get the tax back on contracts, so we will not sell Hargreaves."

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has made a long and persistent pursuit of the England international to the point where Bayern considered asking Fifa to intervene.

Hargreaves, 25, is recovering from a broken leg, but is thought to be keen on a move to the Premiership.

Bayern were powerless to prevent Michael Ballack joining Chelsea last summer when his contract expired, and they are determined to cling on to Hargreaves.

But Rummenigge insisted it is not in Bayern's financial interest to sell Hargreaves.

The former West German international said: "Thirty millions euros over four years is 7.5m euros each year and that means we have 22.5m euros the first year and we have to pay tax on that.

"So Hargreaves will not be going."

If he ends up going, after the number of times Bayern have said he won't go, they'll have some amount of explaining to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So German teams never sell any of their players ever then? Surely all their transfers are taxed anyway, as would be any transfers in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I just cant see Bayern wanting O'Shea. Brown is a very good player, imo he was our best defender last year. He doesnt need to move to Germany, he would make the majority of Prem teams.

I cant see anyone wanting John O Shea. Yes Brown is a good defender, it should be Silvestre if anyone to be used as bate.

This wont happen anyway, I doubt he'll sign for us..wouldnt be overally disappointed if he stayed in Germany

should look elsewhere to improve our midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Quality !

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1693880,00.html

Looks like we got away nicely here ! With all their money Chelsea didn't legislate for the guy being a clown, no brownie points there for doing your research Mr.Kenyon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Another Mr.Anelka in the making methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think freddy adu is starting his trial tomorrow, interesting to see how it goes, one of the most hyped youngsters of all time,infact, possibly the most overhyped of all time. championship manger has alot to do with that i think!!wonder what team fergie will start tomorrow with celtic, chelsea and everton all to come over the next 10 days or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

yeah adu arrives sunday morning for his trial!

i wouldn't like to see brown leave united! he's a quality player and i think he'd be worth while keeping consider neville is struggiling with injury and he is very good cover should rio or vidic get injured! if he is let go i can see fergie recalling Pique from his loan!

interesting article on "life after keane". united are approaching 100 points in just over a year since he left.

http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=133909

I see in one of the tabloids, Ronaldo thinks we're gonna do the treble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Not if he keeps missing sitters from 4 yards.

alot of talk over the weekend on Skysports news about a possible £10 million bid for Darran Bent. What do ye make of that? it looks like a striker will definately be sought in January, whether we get one now, is another thing!!Anybody hear if the ADU trial actually has taken place?

Freddie Adu's two-week trial started this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Darren Bent is a good striker, I'd be happy to see him bought, however, I think the focus still needs to be on midfield, as O'Shea should not be playing there. With the sale of Jones, we are even weaker there, and I think Fergie will still have it as his priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sizzler wrote:
    Quality !

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1693880,00.html

Looks like we got away nicely here ! With all their money Chelsea didn't legislate for the guy being a clown, no brownie points there for doing your research Mr.Kenyon ;)
    Lol! How funny would it be after all the drama if he was shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

If Utd are to sign a premiership striker I'd want it to be Kevin Doyle.
    He reminds me so much of Solskjaer and I think he would be an ideal replacement for the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nunu wrote:
    If Utd are to sign a premiership striker I'd want it to be Kevin Doyle.
    He reminds me so much of Solskjaer and I think he would be an ideal replacement for the coming years.

I think you have your Irish glasses on here!

I dont think man utd should be looking to buy players like him, we want top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I think you have your Irish glasses on here!

I dont think man utd should be looking to buy players like him, we want top players.

I was just going to say that. Doyle :o Jebus. He's grand where he is, but aint a Man U player and prob wont ever be!

Hadnt read that about Bent...as long as its not Marcus Bent from Charlton lol !

Interesting prospect, wouldnt rule it out of Charlton are bollixed in the league by mid Jan.
    Their manager is called Les, they're off to a bad start;)

p_larkin99 wrote:
    sizzler wrote:
    I was just going to say that. Doyle :o Jebus. He's grand where he is, but aint a Man U player and prob wont ever be!

la la la, United are too big for someone like Kevin Doyle, la la la :mad:

You could (and have in the past) do a lot worse than Kevin Doyle. I'd hate to see him join you lot, because when he did well you'd all love him, and after attitudes like this you wouldn't deserve it/him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

MrJoeSoap wrote:

You could (and have in the past) do a lot worse than Kevin Doyle. I'd hate to see him join you lot, because when he did well you'd all love him, and after attitudes like this you wouldn't deserve it/him.

Just because they've done worse in the past doesn't mean they should go back to the bad old days. He's no better than Smith imo.

PHB wrote:
    With the sale of Jones, we are even weaker there, and I think Fergie will still have it as his priority.

will ya let it go, he didnt make it... but I do agree with ya about the midfield. If we do purchase Bent, we could be looking in the region of 7m - 12m. That leaves very little left over for a midfielder. Id love to see United go for Reo-Coker and Bent. If they were to cost 20m (which I doubt knowing the market for British players) I'd be happy enough.

Long shot however

Regarding Kevin Doyle, I dont think he's there yet. I hope and think he will be in time.

Then he can join the red devils!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IMO - United need a striker, a winger and a CM who can defend.

Ideally it would be Torres, Nani and Hargreaves, but to sign all 3 would require a massive amount of money so i don't think that will happen. As alternatives, i'm just not sure. I can't think of an available winger that would be good enough, Reo-Coker won't be leaving west ham now the take-over is complete and i'm just not sure Bent has enough quality to push for a place ahead of Saha and Rooney, which is what we would need from him. Huntelaar has done very well in Holland and we have been linked with him but i'm not convinced he would settle in the prem or suit out style of play, but then i have not seen enough of him to judge this.

The Freddy Adu situation is alot quieter then I imagined. I thought cameras for the US would be bombarding Carington training ground, sky broadcasting updates as to when he takes a shít or a leak and the sun headlining him as drunk in Manchester nightclub already

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm really upset about Mikel Obi and how he is falling on his face...NOT!! ;)
    What goes around Mikel, comes around.

I just hope that Adu is not as over hyped as Obi, is that Fabian Brandy with him or Frazier Campbell, he is a little un!!! Same size as Maradona or Zola, or Denise Wise!! ;)

Don't know about Bent, Doyle in fairness is a real hard worker and that in itself is a great attribute, take Anelka, technically, speed wise a 10 times better player than Doyle, but he is a lazy baa baa, who would you want in your team.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:

He's just not a good enough player to play for utd. I'm not knocking the player i think he's decent enough but i want to see us sign recognised international talent (particularly with strikers). My point was really the only reason he was mentioned here was because he's Irish
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You could (and have in the past) do a lot worse than Kevin Doyle. I'd hate to see him join you lot

What a great reason to sign someone!
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    because when he did well you'd all love him, and after attitudes like this you wouldn't deserve it/him.

guaranteed success eh? you're right we don't deserve him, with repsect to him we deserve better!
    SteM wrote:
    He's no better than Smith imo.

No, Smith is better IMO. I really hope that Smith gets a few games over xmas and he can show people how good he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm amazed how any fan could be so easily dismissive of Doyle? He's a fantastic talent..........and I'm not choosing him with my 'irish glasses on'. I think some people just dismiss him BECAUSE he's Irish and plied his trade in the Eircom League. On one hand some fans discuss the possibility of Darren Bent but totally dismiss Doyle? Bent is good, Doyle is just as good - actually for me he's better now and can be in the future.

I'm not saying he's the finished article and undoubtedly there are world class strikers out there better than Doyle at the moment, but you can't just always go out for the top 2 or 3 strikers, sometimes you've got to go after potential - a great talent to work on.

I likened him to Solskjaer and I was referring to how he operates on a football pitch - a great work ethic, a good football brain and seems a very level headed lad. I'm pretty sure the higher the level he plays at the better he will get.
    For the sake of this dicussion a move to Utd for Doyle would also mirror Solskjaers move to Utd around 10 years ago. Solskjaer wasn't a top player then and I'm sure a lot of fans were saying things like 'why are we signing this lad....what about Ronaldo, Batistuta etc...' Maybe even one or two off this board?

Just look what Solskjaer achieved.....Doyle is capable of a similiar impact in my opinion. And anyway it's always much sweeter when you get a player with huge potential and he fulfils it, and you have to go after players like this aswell because believe it or not there isn't a never ending money pit at Old Trafford.

P.S. He's a Utd fan so any move for him would almost certainly mean him coming to the club. Go on Fergie, take a chance on him;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Apparantly Neville predicted that Saha would miss the pen;
    Lennon was still basking in the glory of victory and qualification when he revealed Neville had predicted Saha's miss from the spot.

"Gary Neville actually came across to me and said about Saha, 'his head has gone, he's going to miss this," Lennon said in The Guardian.

Link; http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=430423&CPID=5&clid=61&lid=2&title=Lennon:+Nev+predicted+Saha+miss

If thats true, its terrible captaining out of Neville. Surely its his responsibility to take the ball off him and give it to rooney or ronaldo if he has doubts. Even take it himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i think most people would have predicted he'd miss! i did!

he didn't have the best of games and when he tried to chip the keeper when he was 2 inches in front of him just summed his evening up!

i agree! if neville didn't have confidence in him Rooney or Ronaldo should have been given it!

personally i think Ronaldo should be taking them! the peno's i've seen him take in the past have been good!

yea ronaldo is able to keep a cool head and has confidence in himself. the peno against england in the world cup showed that too.

just dont let him take the free kicks. :rolleyes:

There MUST be a reason why ronaldo is allowed to continue to take free-kicks. Giggs is a much better set piece taker IMO but i can only think that ronaldo is banging them in in training.

it was very frustrating to see him skin players alive all night but then (again) not be able to deliver the final ball. surely he is being made to work on this in training; if he sorts this part of his game out he will be destroy pretty much any team he faces!

disappointed with the RESULT last night, but apart from the final ball the performance again was good. lets just hope this can spur is on to Sunday's game!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not going to go into a rant about last night, but playing Rooney on the wing and Giggs up front? Absolutely mind-boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Is there any word on Saha and Ronaldo's knocks they got last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

"6ft goons at Watford"!

Im glad we got this trial, two weeks isnt a long time but I think its enough for Fergie to know if hes worth the investment or not.

Advertisement