Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CONFIRMED;
    Henrik Larsson has agreed to join Manchester United on a three-month loan in the New Year.

The Premiership leaders have moved for the Swedish striker to add cover to an attack currently short on options.

Larsson's current club Helsingborgs confirmed at a press conference that they had accepted an offer from United for the player to move to Old Trafford until the end of March.

The deal will go through when the transfer window reopens in January and allows Larsson to maintain his match sharpness ahead of the Swedish domestic season which starts in April

bugger. please utd, just dont make me dislike him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sundula wrote:
    Dont know if i would class it as so good - ye might be looking at in through rose tinted/old celtic legend glasses. He is old and playing at a low level. Will be more a super sub me thinks.
    Don't know about that. He was the difference in the Cahmpions League final last year when he came on.

I think it's a great signing if it's true. Can't see him being used too much, but he'll definitely make a difference as an impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Even at Barca he was a considered a sub. Dont know how much pressure that will put on the other strikers at the club.

Stop gap, i think it shows SAF is once again out of ideas as regards signings or maybe its a money thing but all he is doing is buying himself a few more months before he has to buy the quality striker that they need to challenge Saha Rooney Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

It suits larsson cos it gets him fit for the upcoming season.
    It suits united cos he's light up top at the moment.

It will also take some of the pressure of smith and can mean they can run him ragged in training to get his fitness up.

It can only be a good thing.

It may be a money thing, but we've seen that United have spent money since the glazers came in. I would be surprised if we panic bought in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I think Larrson is a great signing. I think like Van Der Saar that its 6years to late, but for 3-month loan its fantastic for Manu. I reckon that ferguson is waiting till the summer before he goes into the transfer market. I think Torres is his main target and he probably been told to wait until the summer when they will sell. I dont want to see Manu buying Defoe for £10million just for the sake of it.

This signing makes perfect sense and we wont be wasting money on dirt come january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Agree that buying Defoe would have been a big mistake.. Can't see Larsson pushing Saha out of the first team, but he is an excellent player to bring on as a sub or to give Saha a rest the odd game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

great loan deal

Larsson did a great job at Barca and they miss having him in the team

ie the champions league final when he came off the bench and played brilliant stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

rcs wrote:
    Agree that buying Defoe would have been a big mistake.. Can't see Larsson pushing Saha out of the first team, but he is an excellent player to bring on as a sub or to give Saha a rest the odd game

yeah, he wont start, but his impact from the bench was enormous for Barca. Utd need him badly. Think back to last weekends game against Chelsea. Even though they should have been going for the win, the only substitutes Ferguson could make were O'Shea and Fletcher, which just handed the point to Chelsea. If they had Larsson to come on that day, to shake up the game a bit while retaining attacking options.... think how different it could have been. Its the ability to change games through subs that they are missing now, and that's what Larsson could bring to Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

YIPPEEEE - Henrik the red devil!

great news for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Smith is definitely good enough to be a utd player.

he has good technique and defenders hate having to play against him. he is the perfect type of player we need to bring off then bench there no point in us getting torres if that then means that one striker will always be left on the bench...the ideal thing with Smith is that he has a great attitude. we need these kind of players in the squad.

if you think about it, if we had 4 amazing strikers it just would not work, as they would all want to play all the time and, for example, if torres didn't het his game he'd be straight off back to spain! remembering back to 99 we had 4 great strikers, but you really could identify the first choice (Yorke and Cole) and then the impact strikers we has on the bench (Teddy and Ole) who were content to start 15-20 games a season and do a job mostly from the bench

my basic point is we need quality squad players, and a fully fit smith is definitely one!!
    Here, here!
    I totally agree with this.
    sundula wrote:
    Even at Barca he was a considered a sub. Dont know how much pressure that will put on the other strikers at the club.
    LOL this is such nonsense. Even at Barca he was a sub ..:eek: shock horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This backs up the point i was making a few posts back.....sure Henk wont start every game but its all about what he offers to the squad. he will be an impact player and i also think he is good for a few 90 mins over jan/feb, which will allow Saha/Rooney a rest!

another vital thing, his experience will benefit players like rooney (who is still learning) and Saha....i really hope that larsson will also help to being Rossi along....having this type of player (instinctive goalscorer) around should hopefully benefit us

delighted with the short term fix SAF has made here....however it may show that cash is a problem for us as we cant buy outright...hope im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

p_larkin99 wrote:
    however it may show that cash is a problem for us as we cant buy outright...hope im wrong

id say that you are wrong TBH, united seem to be buying alot more sensibly nowadays, not the impulse buying that we have witnessed in the past, gone are the days of forlan, djemba X2, kleberson etc and now, they seem to be looking for good value deals. since the americas came, we have had 5 signings, all have turned out to be great value -

VDS - 2 million,top class
    Park - 4 million,decent player, great heart and very good cover (korean market too!)
    Vidic - 7 million,unreal player so far, could be a united legend
    Evra - 5 million, poor start, now excellent form at the moment, has proved a good buy so far.
    carrick - 14.2 million, still has a lot to prove, but slowly but surely, is settling in and has had a great last month, getting better, a bit expensive, but will prove his worth.

im happy with the larsson deal, however we need a long term solution in the summer,hopefully torres, which i have a feeling will happen. if the larsson thing works out, and he has a chance of silverware, i cant see him leaving in march, i dont think that his club would stop him either.

fergie needs to think about the fact that giggs, scholes and neville will need replacing over the next 2 seasons, so i hope that another winger and full back is bought in the summer.

i know we all want new signings and we need them, especially in midfield (hargreaves/senna), but if the clubs wont sell or want massive money, united wont budge. defoe would not have worked out i reckon and dont think darran bent would have come too cheap either, so for now, along as a midfielder comes in, ill be happy.

id say that you are wrong TBH

No my point was i dont think we have the money to buy both a midfielder and striker in january - fergie will have to wait till summer to get enough cash for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i think the Larsson deal is a good deal... it means he can blow the january transfer budget on a good midfeilder and not worry about a striker. Larsson will give Smith some competion and help Rossi with his progress hopefully.

some good sense being shown be SAF in the transfer market! this way we can get the midfielder(top priorty) in january and then the striker in the summer.

I think Larsson coming on loan is great and i do think he will make an impact within his 9weeks there.

Im sick of reading that he will help bring rossi on and blah, blah. Rossi will deffo come back from newcastle and that spell has done us no favours, if anything it has halted his progrees slightly. When he does come back, he will be thrown in the reserves to get his sharpness back. Larsson will have no impact on rossi within 9weeks he is there so stop talking rubbish. Rossi may as well write this season off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

I think Larsson coming on loan is great and i do think he will make an impact within his 9weeks there.

Im sick of reading that he will help bring rossi on and blah, blah. Rossi will deffo come back from newcastle and that spell has done us no favours, if anything it has halted his progrees slightly. When he does come back, he will be thrown in the reserves to get his sharpness back. Larsson will have no impact on rossi within 9weeks he is there so stop talking rubbish. Rossi may as well write this season off.

i doubt Rossi will go back into the reserves that will be another step back... i agree that the newcastle spell wasn't worthwhile but i genuinely believe that having a striker like Larsson who is an out-and-out goalscorer will help Rossi...

Rossi is very different to our other strikers he's like RVN and having a similar striker to tutor him and for him to study IS going to help him. having had the influence of RVN in previous seasons and now the legend that is Larsson it can only help his development....

watching Larsson's movement, technique etc will help him so i really dont think its rubbish at all!! even if Rossi doesnt play for us this season it doesnt mean that training with such a class player wont benefit him!! its how young lads learn!!

from united.com...

United signed Henrik Larsson on a three-month loan deal on Friday, but it is unlikely to be Sir Alex Ferguson’s last bit of business in the transfer market as the mid-season window approaches.

Sir Alex plans to recall Giuseppe Rossi from his loan spell at Newcastle because he is not getting enough games, while Alan Smith has begun an intensive fitness programme to improve his sharpness.

That would suggest that the United boss is looking to bring in a midfielder in January as numbers in defence are plentiful.

“We’re not sitting on our backsides,” he said. “There could be another development.”

Asked whether Owen Hargreaves would be one of his targets, Sir Alex joked: “Well, I don’t want to upset those poor Germans, they are very fragile. But, I don’t actually know the situation at the moment.”

Sir Alex’s striking options have been a concern in recent weeks, but following the signing of Larsson, the United boss could have six forwards available in the New Year – including Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha, Ole Solskjaer, Rossi, Smith.

“Alan’s future with the club is good,” he added. “We have got him on a speed programme which is intensive. With Alan, he did very well when he came back in pre-season. But when we saw him play against Crewe and Southend we knew there was still work to do. But he’s working very hard.”

As for Rossi, Sir Alex had an understanding that the talented teenager would be heavily involved for the Magpies. That hasn’t transpired, but the Reds boss didn’t direct blame toward Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder.

“Every manager is subject to his own opinions on players, but Giuseppe may as well come back to us. “He’s not getting enough games at Newcastle, we could have done with him here.”

United will not be making a bid for Freddy Adu, who is to return to America after completing his two-week spell with the club. But a transfer now was never in Sir Alex’s plans.

“Freddy Adu has done all right,” he said. “He’s a talented young boy, but he is only 17 and there is nothing we can do about signing him. What we did was to bring him here to give him an idea of what United is like, so that he could see the place and get a feel for things here.

Adu turns 18 in June, but there remains no guarantee that he will come to Old Trafford in the summer. “He’s very confident and a very talented boy,” added the boss. “But he will go back to America and we will keep a check on him, and when he is 18 we will look at it again and see what we can do.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Fangzhuo

there is alot of talk about this lad these days, as his work permit is due to clear in january. from the above link, he has a decent strike rate at antwerp, though that is division 2 belgium. the most strking fact on that page, is that he cost £3.5 million - shirt sales down payment??

also at the bottom, links for

Johnny Evans (who i have big hope for)
    Frazier campbell
    Souleymane Mamam
    danny simpson
    kiri hilton
    darran gibson

so basically, there team is made up of united youngsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dong has been seen by United fans in pre-season, always did well in pre-season, whether or not he's up to the premiership I really couldn't say, havn't seen enough of him. I am under the impression though that he will join up with United in January, probably to the reserves.

Antwerp is United's main feeder team, and this year Fergie sent lots of kids over to try and get them promoted to the next division.

As for Larsson, I'm happy. He can provide cover for the rest of the year up front, with Ole and Rossi and Smith(eventually), there will be decent squad depth up there. It also allows Fergie to focus on another midfielder.

What pleases me so much about this transfer is nobody heard anything about it whatsoever, which means United are finally getting their act together in the transfer market in lieu of Chelsea. They had started to do this with some signings like Vidic and Evra, but still messed it up with Hargreaves and Carrick in terms of keeping it quiet till the dela was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

from www.nufc.com
    Arriverdeci loaner
    Comments from Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson regarding our on-loan striker Giuseppe Rossi:

"Giuseppe will come back to us because he is just not getting enough football at Newcastle.

"The understanding we had with them was that he would play more games.

"Every manager is subject to their own opinions on players, so I don't want to say too much about that. But we could have done with him here, so he might as well come back to us."

Since moving to Tyneside at the end of August, Rossi has made four starts and four sub appearances totaling 417 minutes, scoring once.

During that time we've played 13 games that he was eligible to appear in.

Rossi's loan period is due to expire at the end of the year, meaning that he could in theory feature for the Red Devils at SJP on New Years Day.

On player who could make his Premiership debut in that fixture is Manchester United's new acquisition Henrik Larsson, whose three month loan from Helsingborg begins that day.

• Advertisement

Rossi going to newcastle was a waste but i think fergie was trying to do them a favour. I dont think rossi would do that well in the newcastle team as most of there players are rubbish and the manager hasn't a clue either.

The papers will once again starting filling the back pages again with the transfer window opening the end of the month and no doubt all the BIG teams will be filling those pages yet again. I think Henrik Larrson is great and hopefully he stays until the end of the season as well, what a bonus that would be. I think Manu need another midfielder as everyone can see and no doubt there looking at Owen Hargreaves of Bayern. I think that will be SAF only buy if any that manu make in january as SAF will not want to disrupt the squad to much.

Once the summer comes around i think SAF will be chasing a BIG name stirker and i for one hope its TORRES of madrid. The lad is class, yeh he doesn't get all the headlines week in week out, but its all about Barca and Real in spain. When he plays for the National team, he usually shows what a good young player he really is and i think that he would be well suited to Manu team and style of play. I remember when spain played england about 2/3yrs ago, he made a show of Rio Ferdinand, but thats not to hard i suppose.

The last point i'd like to make is Gary Neville, he's never been my favourite player at manu always makes stupid mistakes that seem to cause us BIG. The benfica game last year and look at Boro the weekend, a experienced pro jumping to the ground on the edge of his box, downing made a fool of him. I was wondering what Manu fans thought of MICAH RICHARDS of MAN CITY, he looks a good prospect for the future and he has pace and is fantastic in the air as well. I heard that is a man city fan big time, but im not sure. I deffo think its once place in defence that we are short? A couple of seasons ago we were chasing Willy Sagnol, who is prob one of the best right backs in europe and trablesi.

I dont think rossi would do that well in the newcastle team as most of there players are rubbish
    Good enough for Michael Owen and Sibierski but not Rossi :confused:

Rossi going to newcastle was a waste but i think fergie was trying to do them a favour. I dont think rossi would do that well in the newcastle team as most of there players are rubbish and the manager hasn't a clue either.

I think thats absolute rubbish, when you look at their midfield i think its one of the best there is

Parker- class player (id have him at Utd!)
    Emre - again, a class player
    Solano - amazing delivery, what you want from a winger
    Milner - think he has lots of potential, again a great player

to say there players are rubbish i dont agree with at all, that midfield is one that so many would envy!

The last point i'd like to make is Gary Neville, he's never been my favourite player at manu always makes stupid mistakes that seem to cause us BIG.

I always laugh when people give Gary Neville stick...in my view he is the best RB in the world, yet people still get on his back.

he is a solid defender and the amount of times he offers an outlet when he bombs up from RB is ridiculous during the course of a game.
    I was wondering what Manu fans thought of MICAH RICHARDS of MAN CITY, he looks a good prospect for the future and he has pace and is fantastic in the air as well. I deffo think its once place in defence that we are short?

He looks like a good player but whether he's utd quality or not is another matter. Neville has at least 3 years left IMO and that ought to be sufficient time to judge Richards.

I believe that Bardsley is coming back from Rangers in January and we also have Wes Brown who im very confident can play well at RB.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I think thats absolute rubbish, when you look at their midfield i think its one of the best there is

Aye, and don't forget about Kieron Dyer, Charles N'Zogbia and Manchester Utd legend Nicky Butt (finally starting to win some of the fans over after his Cardiff misdemeanor).

kinaldo wrote:
    Aye, and don't forget about Kieron Dyer, Charles N'Zogbia and Manchester Utd legend Nicky Butt (finally starting to win some of the fans over after his Cardiff misdemeanor).

Yeah a fully fit Dyer has the potential to cause anyone problems.....

im not so sure on N'Zogbia, not his biggest fan and i have seen him play quite a bit. i guess i think he's a bit raw

And to keep this talking about UTD (yes THE utd) Nicky Butt is a legend but has he still got it in him? was so disappointed when he left us.

and on a previous point id love to see Hargreaves join, i just hope that Bayern aren't too stubborn and his injury heals before the end of jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Would Rossi be better off staying at Newcastle or going somewhere else on loan? Can't see him getting too much game time at Utd when Larsson arrives in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

The last point i'd like to make is Gary Neville, he's never been my favourite player at manu always makes stupid mistakes that seem to cause us BIG. The benfica game last year and look at Boro the weekend, a experienced pro jumping to the ground on the edge of his box, downing made a fool of him. I was wondering what Manu fans thought of MICAH RICHARDS of MAN CITY, he looks a good prospect for the future and he has pace and is fantastic in the air as well. I heard that is a man city fan big time, but im not sure. I deffo think its once place in defence that we are short? A couple of seasons ago we were chasing Willy Sagnol, who is prob one of the best right backs in europe and trablesi.

What a load of pants, Neville may be a whinger but there is no denying he has been the best right back in England over the past decade and is still playing class stuff. He allways gives an option going forward and is very solid in defence.

What a load of pants, Neville may be a whinger but there is no denying he has been the best right back in England over the past decade and is still playing class stuff. He allways gives an option going forward and is very solid in defence.

Spot on

My only criticism is that he doesn't get enough goals, he gets forward enough but is just not confident enough in front of goal

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Aye a fully fit Dyer has the potential to cause anyone problems.....
    Yeah he's always had a lot of talent and since his return he's been awesome. Having him fit again is like having a new £10m signing.
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    im not so sure on N'Zogbia, not his biggest fan and i have seen him play quite a bit. i guess i think he's a bit raw
    Well he's certainly not the finished article. He was a revelation last season but rubbish so far this one. Lots of potential though.
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    And to keep this talking about UTD (yes THE utd) Nicky Butt is a legend but has he still got it in him? was so disappointed when he left us
    Ok it used to annoy me when people always referred to Man Utd as simply 'United', even when they were playing Newcastle, Leeds, West Ham etc. That was before I realised it actually bothers some real Mancunians when people omit the Manchester. I'm also more in favour of being universally known as and referred to by our place name :)

As for Nicky Butt, I never rated him that highly but he's put in some good performances this season, mostly in the absence of Parker. Glen Roeder is a big fan.
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    and on a previous point id love to see Hargreaves join, i just hope that Bayern aren't too stubborn and his injury heals before the end of jan!
    Bayern wouldn't sell in the summer and I don't see what's changed since except they're going well in the Champions League. No doubt he would be a good signing even though his price is well over valued imo.

kinaldo wrote:
    No doubt he would be a good signing even though his price is well over valued imo.

2 major reasons why:
    It's Man Utd
    He's English

when you add this to the fact that they see him as a first team regular then the price is always going to be inflated!

It's something i have become used to as a Utd fan.

EDIT:
    Would love to see Rossi going to Sunderland in the second half of the season, banging in 10-15 goals and helping Keano take them to play-offs. Of course, this is provided that we can keep Smith and Ole fit and so he wouldn't be needed this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was wondering what Manu fans thought of MICAH RICHARDS of MAN CITY, he looks a good prospect for the future and he has pace and is fantastic in the air as well. I heard that is a man city fan big time, but im not sure.

Yes he's a City fan and no you can't have him. Now that he's capped the only team that'll match our over evaluation would be Chelsea just like in SWP's case.
    Kinaldo wrote:
    it actually bothers some real Mancunians when people omit the Manchester.

Real Mancunians support City. And it p***es me off no end when people refer the red team as simply 'Manchester'. There's two bloody teams in the city.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Xavi6 wrote:
    Real Mancunians support City. And it p***es me off no end when people refer the red team as simply 'Manchester'. There's two bloody teams in the city.
    Real "Mancunians" from Stockport support Citeh! ;)

Xavi6 wrote:
    Yes he's a City fan and no you can't have him.

I don't think City would refuse a big offer for him!

Xavi6 wrote:
    Real Mancunians support City.

It p***es me when people spout this rubbish....real mancs support city??

what a load of rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote:

Yeah, but it's really only the continentals who do this.

It's not as if they'd know about the other team now is it? ;)

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I don't think City would refuse a big offer for him!

It p***es me when people spout this rubbish....real mancs support city??

what a load of rubbish!

Yeah they do. It's commonly known that the majority of people in Manchester support City. We don't fill our stadium with Londoners and people from further afield. In fact we don't even fill the stadium at all!

Even David James knows the score -

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/12/03/forget_joeys_arse_its_wind_tur.html
    And transport to these sites - and to older grounds - is also key. Manchester United have about 75,000 supporters attending each game: with many of those based in London that's a lot of travelling, and a lot of carbon. Why aren't the responsible bodies reducing the damage in this area? Car-sharing and pool zones could be introduced, on top of better public transport. Motorways could follow the US model, where cars with four people in them can use an express or bus lane. And park-and-ride services currently operate for town centres, so why not extend these to football stadiums, old and new?
    :D

That does not prove that real mancs support city at all, merely that those who get tickets for the game (it's not that easy you know, demand for us is very different to the relatively half empty stadium across the city!) are not all from manchester

i take it you have never been in the stretford end...i know an awful lot of mancs as my brother lives there and 90% are reds!

I think you'll find that there is very much a divide in the city.

taken from City's Wiki page no less:

A common stereotype is that City fans come from Manchester, while United fans come from elsewhere. A 2002 report by a researcher at Manchester Metropolitan University found that a higher proportion of City season ticket holders come from Manchester postcode areas; however United had a higher number of season ticket holders living in Manchester, as they had more season ticket holders overall. However, the report contained a caveat stating that the number of City season tickets has since increased (the report was compiled before City's move to the City of Manchester Stadium). The study also found that City had the highest proportion of support in the south and east of the city, and United had the highest proportion in the north and west of the city.[13] Manchester post codes also cover Salford, which is located outside of, and to the northwest of Manchester.

The Manchester derby next week should be fun !

kinaldo wrote:
    The Manchester derby next week should be fun !

:D

cant wait

mind you, i guess it means less to "fake" mancs!

Mind you, we have a BIG game midweek (yes, thats Europe!), maybe we'll have to rest a few players in the derby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

p_larkin99 wrote:

Only one of those would get into the United squad; Parker, the rest we have better.

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:

to say there players are rubbish i dont agree with at all, that midfield is one that so many would envy!.

Parker - Looked class at charlton cause he was there best player by a mile playing in a below average team and he only ever stood out against the lower teams, went to chelsea and did nothing. If he was to play for manu, l'pool, he'd only be another player.

Nicky Butt- I dont want to slag him off, but when he played with Keane and Scholes he looked a class act and he is a great player, but he struggled at B'ham. I have to say though he is coming back to form for newcastle and is a better player then parker. But they can't play the two of them together as it wont work.

Joey Barton of Man City is a better all round player i think and i think he should be in the endland squad.

Emre - I thought the same, great signing, but he's done nothing since they bought him and he wont be there much longer. Looks a ordinary player.

Solano - I forgot about him. yeh id have him at manu anyday. When beckham was sold he would have been a great replacement.

Milner - yeh he as the poential to be a great player, but again has done nothing so far to prove to it.

Dyer - A great player when he's not injured, but he's spent more time injured and when he's not playing he was sulking at bobby Robson for playing in this wrong position.
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    I always laugh when people give Gary Neville stick...in my view he is the best RB in the world, yet people still get on his back.

he is a solid defender and the amount of times he offers an outlet when he bombs up from RB is ridiculous during the course of a game.!

The best RB in the world :D Salgado, Miguel, Zambrotta, Sagnol all 10 times better then Neville. Yeh neville does a good job for manu, but he you only have to look a Boro game de weekend, i've lost count how many times we have conceded goals cause of his mistakes.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I believe that Bardsley is coming back from Rangers in January and we also have Wes Brown who im very confident can play well at RB.

Yeh i agree with you on Bardsley that he looks to be a potiental RB for years to come at Manu. Wes Brown is a center half Not a RB, he's not as good as neville going forward.

Michael Owen, how many goals has he scored in his newcastle again? I think we still have to see if he is suited to newcastle style of play.

Sibierski - Scored a about 4 goals for newcastle, 3 in europe and 1 in the prem i think. He's an average player. Newcastle fans went mad they brought him in.

Luque is a great player but has not beening given a chance at newcastle.

Yikes, I don't want to debate the strength of Newcastle's midfield in this thread (I disagree with most of what you said) but to answer your question, Michael Owen has scored 7 goals in 10 (+ 1 sub) apps for us and Siberski has scored 5 goals in 7 (+ 5 sub) apps.

My point, that in a handful of games playing alongside the same "mostly rubbish" players they've managed to produce the goods and make an immediate impact, whereas Rossi has been almost anonymous.

RasTa wrote:
    Only one of those would get into the United squad; Parker, the rest we have better.

Other than Park (outside our first 4) i would take Parker, Emre, Milner and probably Solano (decent winger) over O'Shea, Fletch, Richardson....

our big problem is the midfield, granted those players wouldn't be in our first XI, with the exception of maybe Carrick-Parker, but they are definitely better than our squad midfielders!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Xavi6 wrote:
    Yeah they do. It's commonly known that the majority of people in Manchester support City.
    That is utter bullshít. I've asked numerous people around Manchester and they say that it is split right down the middle. Even some of the bitterest Citeh fans admitted it.

Sure alot of Londoners and Irish go to the games, but the fact is that Old Trafford holds 76000, and more than 2/3 of the crowd would be Mancunians. That is still more than an average gate at Citeh's council house. David James has played for City and Liverpool, I'm sure he would come out with something daft like that.

By the way, isn't it true that a MASSIVE part of Citeh's fanbase is from Stockport?

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    That is utter bullshít. I've asked numerous people around Manchester and they say that it is split right down the middle. Even some of the bitterest Citeh fans admitted it.

Sure alot of Londoners and Irish go to the games, but the fact is that Old Trafford holds 76000, and more than 2/3 of the crowd would be Mancunians. That is still more than an average gate at Citeh's council house. David James has played for City and Liverpool, I'm sure he would come out with something daft like that.

By the way, isn't it true that a MASSIVE part of Citeh's fanbase is from Stockport?

Mate its been proven that the city is very much split...a lot depends on geographics (as man city's wiki even suggested!)

this is a common argument that city fans produce but they have no evidence to back it up

PORNAPSTER wrote:

Well as far as I know from my trips to the city (which are pretty frequent) most people say City are the real club of Manchester. I'm only forming my opinion on what I've been told. Anyway here's some interesting comments from both sides Some quite amusing.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/975.page

• Advertisement

Parker - Looked class at charlton cause he was there best player by a mile playing in a below average team and he only ever stood out against the lower teams, went to chelsea and did nothing. If he was to play for manu, l'pool, he'd only be another player.

Parker would not be lost in the Utd midfield...he is very much like hargreaves, energetic with capabiltiy of being a box-to-box player. if parker was at Utd he would be an england regular!
    Nicky Butt- I dont want to slag him off, but when he played with Keane and Scholes he looked a class act and he is a great player, but he struggled at B'ham. I have to say though he is coming back to form for newcastle and is a better player then parker. But they can't play the two of them together as it wont work.

i agree his form slipped but that was always likely to happen going to a smaller team! a lot was expected of him there and for whatever reason he didn't step up.
    Joey Barton of Man City is a better all round player i think and i think he should be in the endland squad.

who are you referring to? better than Parker i assume? if so i disagree but i do recognise that Barton is a good player!
    Emre - I thought the same, great signing, but he's done nothing since they bought him and he wont be there much longer. Looks a ordinary player.

i think that injuries and the fact Souness was his manager really haven't helped him settle, after that kind of a start at a club its always hard to become a success! maybe he's not suited to our league....but my point was i would definitely prefer to bring him off the bench than O'Shea/Fletch/Richardson...u agree?
    Milner - yeh he as the poential to be a great player, but again has done nothing so far to prove to it.

i think he was unlucky to have been shipped out to villa for a year, going from one struggling club to another! if he gets a good run in the team i really think the Toon will see him reach his potential.

The best RB in the world :D Salgado, Miguel, Zambrotta, Sagnol all 10 times better then Neville. Yeh neville does a good job for manu, but he you only have to look a Boro game de weekend, i've lost count how many times we have conceded goals cause of his mistakes.

of those you mentioned i think only Zambrotta is comparable (i think theyre the 2 outstanding RB's at this time). Salgado can't defend and i haven't and still don't rate Miguel!

Yeh i agree with you on Bardsley that he looks to be a potiental RB for years to come at Manu. Wes Brown is a center half Not a RB, he's not as good as neville going forward.

i agree he isnt as good as neville going forward but again IMO no-one is a better RB than GN, so comparing Wes (agreed a natural centre half) to him isn't fair. when asked Brown has done a good job at RB, but like you pointed out going forward isn't his strong point.
    Luque is a great player but has not beening given a chance at newcastle.

i agree with ya that he's a good player but i really don't think he's suited to the Prem, can see him returning to a UEFA cup Spanish team in the next year

Xavi6 wrote:
    Well as far as I know from my trips to the city (which are pretty frequent) most people say City are the real club of Manchester. I'm only forming my opinion on what I've been told. Anyway here's some interesting comments from both sides Some quite amusing.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/975.page

yeah but as a city fan its more likely that you've talked to city fans yourself, be it at the ground or in that particular area of the city!

it's pretty much accepted that the city is split and that this is a common argument used by fans to have a go at UTD

god im getting defensive :)

EDIT:
    "This is a London newspaper so you’re likely to find "manchester" united fans joining the forum more then anyone else."

LOL

p_larkin99 wrote:
    EDIT:
    "This is a London newspaper so you’re likely to find "manchester" united fans joining the forum more then anyone else."

LOL

Ha ha thats the quote I picked out above all else. Genius!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Salgado can't defend
    Here here! Salgado is a brilliant right back. He may not be the best defensively as you say but he's not exactly bad at it and playing in such an attacking unit as Real Madrid down the years exaggerates his shortcomings. I've always considered Roberto Carlos and Salgado / Cafu to be the best pair of full backs in the world up until about 2 seasons ago when Carlos' age started to catch up with him.

kinaldo wrote:
    Here here! Salgado is a brilliant right back. He may not be the best defensively as you say but he's not exactly bad at it and playing in such an attacking unit as Real Madrid down the years exaggerates his shortcomings.

I really dont rate him as a defender...he has always been good with his winger going forward but from seeing him in Sky's coverage and in the CL he doesnt look like a solid defender in the slightest

of course, as you pointed out, this won't be helped by the fact that the team is so offensive and therefore many times he's been exposed by wingers not tracking back etc (kinda like Ronaldo) but i feel that Neville is better at both going forward and defending

on the Carlos point iv never thought he was a good defender to be honest....his speed got him out of trouble an awful lot (often down to his attacking attitude and IMO lack of basic positional awareness)

• Advertisement
Advertisement