Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I really dont rate him as a defender...he has always been good with his winger going forward but from seeing him in Sky's coverage and in the CL he doesnt look like a solid defender in the slightest

of course, as you pointed out, this won't be helped by the fact that the team is so offensive and therefore many times he's been exposed by wingers not tracking back etc (kinda like Ronaldo) but i feel that Neville is better at both going forward and defending

on the Carlos point iv never thought he was a good defender to be honest....his speed got him out of trouble an awful lot (often down to his attacking attitude and IMO lack of basic positional awareness)
    Salgado and Carlos have shared 2 European Cups together (3 for Carlos!) at Real Madrid without the help of any sort of tracking back type wingers. That tells me their defending is either very underrated or else being a great full back doesn't necessarily require good defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote:
    Salgado and Carlos have shared 2 European Cups together (3 for Carlos!) at Real Madrid without the help of any sort of tracking back type wingers. That tells me their defending is either very underrated or else being a great full back doesn't necessarily require good defending.

I was never a big fan either. Salgado is decent and Carlos always suspect defensively. Certainly not in the league of the likes of Cafu and Maldini. They for me have been the two outstanding full backs of recent times.

I have to say that Gary Neville is quality. Is the definition of Mr. Reliable and gets stick that is fully undeserved. Any manager in the world would have him in their team. A lot of people take him for granted but I think he will prove almost impossible to replace when he retires, the same way Schmeichel was under Van Der Sar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kinaldo wrote:

either that or the Real Madrid way of attacking meant there was less defending to do than the average team.

When you look at the 2002 winning campaign they conceded a good few goals against teams who you would expect them not to....there were a lot of high scoring games which kinda backs up my above point!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    either that or the Real Madrid way of attacking meant there was less defending to do than the average team.

When you look at the 2002 winning campaign they conceded a good few goals against teams who you would expect them not to....there were a lot of high scoring games which kinda backs up my above point!
    In the Champions League clashes of 2000 and 2003 as fas as I can recall they both owned Neville and Silvestre (or whoever else was playing at lb).

kinaldo wrote:
    In the Champions League clashes of 2000 and 2003 as fas as I can recall they both owned Neville and Silvestre (or whoever else was playing at lb).

What do you mean by that? That they played better or they won in situations where they faced each other?

and comparing most defenders to silvestre isn't really much of an indication :D

p_larkin99 wrote:
    What do you mean by that? That they played better or they won in situations where they faced each other?

and comparing most defenders to silvestre isn't really much of an indication :D
    I can't quite remember if Gary Neville played in all four games, but I do remember that both Salgado and Carlos had field days against their opposing numbers who were mostly pinned back in each of them. I'm also fairly certain it was Salgado who forced the og from Keane and Carlos setup one or two with his relentless attacking in the final 3rd of the pitch.

Edit:
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    Not really. In 2002 they finished top of their group with a goals aggregate of 13-5, and in the 5 knockout phase games against Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Bayer Leverkusen they conceded 4 goals. In 11 games played overall they scored 21 goals and conceded only 9.

Also, Roberto Carlos was named best defender for the 01/02 and 02/03 seasons in the UEFA Club Football Awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

p_larkin99 wrote:
    It p***es me when people spout this rubbish....real mancs support city??

what a load of rubbish!

well said. Alot of my family are from Manchester, that guy is talking utter rubish.

I also would love to see Rossi at Sunderland, though I fear he'll never make it due to his size (unless he's the next Zola!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I think that injuries and the fact Souness was his manager really haven't helped him settle, after that kind of a start at a club its always hard to become a success! maybe he's not suited to our league....but my point was i would definitely prefer to bring him off the bench than O'Shea/Fletch/Richardson...u agree?

Yeh i agree, O' Shea looked a to have the potential to be a great center back 3yrs ago, but i think SAF has to take some blame cause he plays him out of position all the time. I dont think he's good enough for UTD and he should be sold in the summary for his own sake.

Fletch/Richardson - Fletch is a great worker, but again not good enough and Richardson :o I wont start, but not good enough either.
    [/QUOTE]

p_larkin99 wrote:
    of those you mentioned i think only Zambrotta is comparable (i think theyre the 2 outstanding RB's at this time). Salgado can't defend and i haven't and still don't rate Miguel!

I think Zambrotta and Miguel are the tow best right back's in the world at the moment. I always though Miguel was brillant and Sagnol of Bayern.

I will say GN is prob the best right in the premiership, but thats not hard looking at what he's up against. Finnan off l'pool i think has been one there best players in the last 2yrs, but he never really plays well for Eire.

We all think we everything these days, i certainly do anyways ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Parker... is very much like hargreaves,

Probably the perfect combination of words to piss me off. :p

I've watched Parker closely for about 4 years now, have a jersey he wore for Charlton against Chelsea, have him on the back of both Chelsea and Newcastle jerseys, and I fail to see any similarities between himself and Hargreaves.

He's a fierce tackler and excellent ball-winner, that's his number one attribute.

After that, his dribbling and long-range shooting are his best qualities, he's not a magnificent passer of a ball or doesn't have brilliant vision. He's quite able to play a long ball but its not his most notable skill.

Hargreaves isn't a tough tackler, and isn't a dribbler. Whatever about his ability, he isn't similar to parker at all.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Probably the perfect combination of words to piss me off. :p

I've watched Parker closely for about 4 years now, have a jersey he wore for Charlton against Chelsea, have him on the back of both Chelsea and Newcastle jerseys, and I fail to see any similarities between himself and Hargreaves.

He's a fierce tackler and excellent ball-winner, that's his number one attribute.

After that, his dribbling and long-range shooting are his best qualities, he's not a magnificent passer of a ball or doesn't have brilliant vision. He's quite able to play a long ball but its not his most notable skill.

Hargreaves isn't a tough tackler, and isn't a dribbler. Whatever about his ability, he isn't similar to parker at all.

If you look at what i said it was the they are similar in terms of being energetic and having the capability of being box-to-box

at the moment Hargreaves is very much defensive minded but i feel that if Utd were to sign him he would be encouraged to break forward more.

i agree that currently Parker is better at going forward but i was not comparing him to parker on these gorunds

I also think you are underestimating Hargreaves' ability on the ball, he is a good passer and can strike a very good free kick (i think he ought to be taking them for England)

• Advertisement

Do people not think that Fletcher has improved? granted he can improve more and will never be top class, but he has become more stable footballer IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Trilla wrote:
    Do people not think that Fletcher has improved? granted he can improve more and will never be top class, but he has become more stable footballer IMO
    agree - his passing in much better this season - still not as good as it could be but much better. Think it comes from playing in a team with confidence. Ferguson obviously sees something in him, he can be a decnt squad player nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

according to teamtalk.com Klose is now linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, who do the rest of you guys want to get? Or not get really, there'll be no 'easy' match to quote the old cliche....

Barca
    Inter
    PSV
    Roma
    Real
    Celtic
    Porto
    Lillie

Barca and Madrid are the obvious ones, Inter to a slightly lesser extent. I guess Porto, Lillie or Roma would be the popular choices. Although Lillie got 4 points from United last season.

Can we draw celtic?

out of those has to be Lille or PSV i guess, perhaps Roma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Nope, I don't think so anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Id like to draw lille or porto. Keep away from the big guns for a bit longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads what do ye think of the punters on Rte regarding the crictisim of Ronaldo

do they have a point and in my opinan its not all Ronaldo's fault
    Sir Alex has his part to play in it too

But the lad has so much skill and quick as lightning but no football brain

wouldnt you think fergie would seat down with him and have a word with the lad above over doing the tricks and diving ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

The punters on rte are idiots. week in week out they say "ronaldo isnt a footballer" "he is terrible". wrong wrong wrong. He is frustrating to watch at times but tonight he was fine. he kept his tricks to the end where he could have fun. he didnt try his usual stupid free kicks out of nowhere. He was great tonight and they are just retards in rte tbh.

And diving? i didnt see him dive tonight. I saw him fouled tonight which should have been a penalty. I ve seen steven gerrard dive for penalties ive seen rooney do it I saw Ronaldinho dive last night to win a free kick which he scored. It all just comes back at ronaldo though. its very unfair on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good performance tonight. its been a great season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

evad_lhorg wrote:
    The punters on rte are idiots. week in week out they say "ronaldo isnt a footballer" "he is terrible". wrong wrong wrong. He is frustrating to watch at times but tonight he was fine. he kept his tricks to the end where he could have fun. he didnt try his usual stupid free kicks out of nowhere. He was great tonight and they are just retards in rte tbh.

And diving? i didnt see him dive tonight. I saw him fouled tonight which should have been a penalty. I ve seen steven gerrard dive for penalties ive seen rooney do it I saw Ronaldinho dive last night to win a free kick which he scored. It all just comes back at ronaldo though. its very unfair on him.

Agree 100%. I get far more frustrated by the blind anti-Ronaldo crusade that RTÉ pundits tend to go on than anything Ronaldo does on the pitch. Only saw the second half, but he played really well. Made the second goal, won the corner (though he should have got a penalty) for the second. Almost everything United created in that half seemed to go through him. I really can't understand the criticism.

The RTE panel were the same with David Ginola after he won the double player of the year award in 1999 ahead of Dunphy's lovechild, Keane. They just don't appreciate players who don't work hard. I'm sure if they watched Ronaldinho every week he'd be nowhere near the best player in the world in their eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I thought Ronaldo was awful last night.

I thought Ronaldo was awful last night.

awful?

great cross, bet 2 players before he crossed it. He gave the ball away twice last night, no danger. I played a game with a Ronaldo hater in my house last night, we had a referee (another [neutral] mate) to determine who scored. Basically went on a point system, if he did something bad he loses a point, and visa versa. I won 13 - 5. Me being the Ronaldo supporter. I thought he'd score last night. I think he's getting better, especially at his timing of passes and free kicks.

Needs to cut out that divin though, the incident with Boetang against 'boro was disgraceful. Whatever about the penalty. The boy did well enough. Critics were hard on him last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Trilla wrote:
    He gave the ball away twice last night, no danger.
    :eek:

That is just simply not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote:
    . The boy did well enough. Critics were hard on him last night

I wish people would stop using his age as an excuse. The guy is almost 22 and been playing top flight football in both England and Portugal for the best part of five years now. If he hasn't learnt any lessons in that amount of time is he ever going to? He doesn't get criticised for no reason.

Xavi6 wrote:
    I wish people would stop using his age as an excuse. The guy is almost 22 and been playing top flight football in both England and Portugal for the best part of five years now. If he hasn't learnt any lessons in that amount of time is he ever going to? He doesn't get criticised for no reason.

granted, but he has plenty of time to improved...and you have to say he's improved a fair bit. 22 is still young ffs. Ian Wright started his pro career at 23or 24 or something mad like that Its not even Christmas and he has 5 goals in the premiership, 3 assists in the CL and 3 in the league. And if you are a stats man, he's 2nd in the fantasy.premierleague table for midfielders. He is just behind the ever present (and captain for most prem league users) Lampard (who has scored the same amount of goals from a team that usually plays 5 in midfield).

I usually dont use stats to back up things, but there is some for you. Ive noticed improvement in him big time...alot of things went through him last night. If you take him out of the team it leaves a big enough gap.

That is just simply not true.

I meant in terms of wayward passes. Not crosses he didnt connect, or runs that didnt make it. I mean he passed it to the opponent twice where they could control and attack United. This only happened twice. Jaysus if you were to keep track of all the crosses that werent connected or runs that didnt make it..himself and Giggs would rack up some tally.

I wish he would cut out the diving, and make more crosses. Dunphy is right about going outside and crossing it (which he does an awful lot more now thank God) as apposed to cutting in and hitting a daisy cutter. He is a very good player and very important to us. Just imagine United right wing without him. Flecther holding it up for Neville.. Park who I like is a bit huff and puff. We need this player and he can improve more as he has done already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kinaldo wrote:
    They just don't appreciate players who don't work hard. I'm sure if they watched Ronaldinho every week he'd be nowhere near the best player in the world in their eyes.

He's not the best player in the world, the other Brazilian playmaker is.

Trilla wrote:
    I meant in terms of wayward passes. Not crosses he didnt connect, or runs that didnt make it. I mean he passed it to the opponent twice where they could control and attack United. This only happened twice. Jaysus if you were to keep track of all the crosses that werent connected or runs that didnt make it..himself and Giggs would rack up some tally.
    Twice is a lot of ball to hand directly to opponents in a dangerous position. And this is on a good day apparently?

You wouldn't see Giggs hand the ball to his opponents ever as carelessly. And this is even before we factor in poor crosses, yet another free kick straight at the keeper, and failed dribbles.

Beating all the men in the world is of no use if you run over the end line or present the ball to the first man, regardless if it exites you or not. Q.E.D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The propblem with christiano ronaldo isn't that he doesn't have ability in a techincal sense, it's that he has no footballing brain!

He can beat 3 players and get into good posistions fairly well but it's when he gets there that he shows himself up.
    He wastes the ball 8 times out of ten, and that isin't good enough.

His passing isn't the best either.

Besides the corss for giggs last night he wasted the ball every time he got into a good posistion on the flank, and he does it in almost every other match aswell.
    He has an unhealthy obsession with running the ball over the touchline for no reason and I reckon that if there were a gate in the top right hand cornor of every ground he'd run right out them rather than stop.

• Advertisement

Twice is a lot of ball to hand directly to opponents in a dangerous position. And this is on a good day apparently?

You wouldn't see Giggs hand the ball to his opponents ever as carelessly. And this is even before we factor in poor crosses, yet another free kick straight at the keeper, and failed dribbles.

Beating all the men in the world is of no use if you run over the end line or present the ball to the first man, regardless if it exites you or not. Q.E.D.

this arguement will end up tit for tat, but Wayne Ronney did it three times last night, and Giggs was at it constantly against Celtic in Parkhead. No failures about his dribbles that lead to the three goals (corner,freekick and cross), or the cross for Giggs? you cant complain about that free kick...you are nit picking now in all fairness. Yes, at times especially in his second season at United he looked like he belonged at the circus. But he played well last night.

I agree totally that he needs to cut out diving, look up more and cross more. We need him in the team, are you saying we would be better without him in the starting 11? IMO he's important.

Man United scored from 3 headers last night, and Saha should have got another. They won umteen corners and freekicks. Alot of these were won be Ronaldo. The other was from a Ronaldo cross. He is improving and will improve more. Lets see how he fairs against City on saturday.

Trilla wrote:
    this arguement will end up tit for tat, but Wayne Ronney did it three times last night, and Giggs was at it constantly against Celtic in Parkhead. No failures about his dribbles that lead to the three goals (corner,freekick and cross), or the cross for Giggs? you cant complain about that free kick...you are nit picking now in all fairness. Yes, at times especially in his second season at United he looked like he belonged at the circus. But he played well last night.

I agree totally that he needs to cut out diving, look up more and cross more. We need him in the team, are you saying we would be better without him in the starting 11? IMO he's important.
    I agree that he should be in the current United XI, but I just don't hold him in the same esteem as some dillusionl United fans do. Best in the world? My back side. But I don't want to hi-jack the thread and go down a tit-for-tat with you as there are plenty of other Ronaldo threads.

The free kick thing is just a pet hate of mine. I can't understand how his team mates let him near them. He is useless at them. Even the stance he takes on the ball sums him up, it's like a rugby stance, like he's trying to patent his own "free kick style", no doubt so they can program it into the next edition of FIFA :rolleyes:

like he's trying to patent his own "free kick style", no doubt so they can program it into the next edition of FIFA :rolleyes:

ha ha :D. Yeah I know what he can be like, and I dont think he can ever be best player in the world, however he is one of the important players at United. To sum it up what I think is that

He is improving, He will improve more. His record and performances this season have shown his improvement, and I expect and think there is more to come He's needed at Manchester United, he is a dangerous player.

He's frustrating to watch, usd to be every second game. Jekel n Hyde I suppose

At times he is blasted as a cheat, and for some of those occurances the pundits are correct - needs to cut out that diving

He needs to learn English! (still using a translator) Im surprised Dunphy hasnt linked this with his "braindead" comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trilla wrote:
    He needs to learn English! (still using a translator) Im surprised Dunphy hasnt linked this with his "braindead" comments
    :confused:

He was interviewed on Sky Sports last night with no translator.

Richard Keyes even made the comment 'He speaks very well, doesn't he', non-sarcastically might I add.

Oh, and he calls United just 'Manchester' :D

didnt he use one at a press conference last week, I was told this by a guy in work on my break the other day. Anyhow his English is poor for a young guy thats been here nearly 4 years...

not too long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Possibly, but then again, who crossed the ball for Giggs header and who won the corner that resulted in the 3rd goal?
    Ronaldo won the game last night.

PHB wrote:
    Possibly, but then again, who crossed the ball for Giggs header and who won the corner that resulted in the 3rd goal?

Ya see - the man speaks a bit of sense. agree 100% PHB. He's not the best player in Europe, but by Jibbidy he does not deserve all this criticism.

PHB wrote:
    Priceless PHB, priceless.

I think I dislike the lad so much (and am extremely harsh on him as a result) because of this type of attitude that so many United fans have toward him.

The cross for the second goal was sweet I agree, but it was still an excellent finish by Giggs. Not a lot of players can head a ball at speed like he can. Plus it was woeful marking.

He won the corner which lead to the third goal (to be honest I can't remember). But it was subsequently whipped in by Fletcher, which as a result of poor marking by defenders Saha managed to slip free, and because the keeper was in a bad position, and Saha executed his header very well it went in.

But of course it was Ronaldo that won the game :rolleyes:

I'm reminded of the time Homer Simpson is in bed discussing with Marge when Auto made the seven-ten split in the "Pin Pals" episode.

this is gettin old lads. All Manchester United fans, from the 7 year olds to my 68 year old "critic of the century" Father get frustrated with him, get annoyed at his OTT trickery and his lack of end product (which is improving game by game), and get angry at his occasional olympic winning dives...but come on to say he played bad or even average last night is harsh, and the critics should start playing a different tune IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Priceless PHB, priceless.

Really? Who was better than him for United?
    Giggs did well with the cross and the finish but as a whole was invisible for most of the game.

Carrick was quite poor, as was Rooney for the majority of the game. Saha finished well but on the whole was weak. In terms of attacking, almost everything was a result of Ronaldo's 'useless' runs.

Ronaldo was behind everything good from United.

As for the general idea that
    Plus it was woeful marking.
    and
    which as a result of poor marking by defenders Saha managed to slip free, and because the keeper was in a bad position,

That somehow, you can only be shown to be good by it being the perfect goal, in which the defenders couldn't have done anything differently. Sure maybe the defending was poor, but Ronaldo was the one to exploit it, Saha Rooney Carrick and Scholes weren't.

Ronaldo was MOM and won the game for United. Without his preformance last night, we wouldn't have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Well Said PHB. I for one agree.

PHB wrote:
    Really? Who was better than him for United?
    Vidic for one. The all important goal aside, particularly in the first half, he allowed Ferdinand to play almost as an additional central midfielder.

He commanded the backline, which played as a back three at times, and that allowed United to hold Benfica at bay. Their wonder goal aside, did they even have a shot on target?
    PHB wrote:
    Giggs did well with the cross and the finish but as a whole was invisible for most of the game.

Carrick was quite poor, as was Rooney for the majority of the game. Saha finished well but on the whole was weak. In terms of attacking, almost everything was a result of Ronaldo's 'useless' runs.
    To be honest, it wasn't a great performance from United going forward, that said they were not really under any pressure once they equalised. So while Ronaldo may have been the best, he was the pick of a bad bunch on the night.
    PHB wrote:
    Ronaldo was behind everything good from United.
    This is the hyperbolic attitude that annoys me.
    PHB wrote:
    As for the general idea that you can only be shown to be good by it being the perfect goal, in which the defenders couldn't have done anything differently. Sure maybe the defending was poor, but Ronaldo was the one to exploit it, Saha Rooney Carrick and Scholes weren't.
    Don't be so trite. For each of the goals last the marking was lacklustre, way beyond the bounds of "poor". Two set pieces, three crosses, three goals. I can bet the training ground in Lisbon wasn't fun today. When defending crosses defenders are all facing the play and not being dragged out of position, they are totally culpable.

Not one goal came from incisive play from United, it was all bad defending.
    PHB wrote:
    Ronaldo was MOM and won the game for United. Without his preformance last night, we wouldn't have won.
    Again the type of BS which drives me to hate the guy. I never said he played bad, or average, he did well I thought.

But the whole back four gave United the platform to win the game. Evra and Neville both got forward with purpose, while still rarely being caught out at all at the back. Even Ferdinand was seen 30 yards from Benfica's goal on more than one occassion, I'm just surprised he didn't get a nose bleed.

But of course, "Ronaldo won the game".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Could i just add to the discussion by highlighting this:

Dunphy scolded Ferguson for saying that ronaldo was the victim of a vicious campaign by the media. In fact he called ferguson stupid and an idiot and other such names.

If Ronaldo isnt the victim of such a media campaign why was nearly all of the build up to the match taken up by talking about his dive at the weekend??

While i enjoy dunphy for his random outbursts and entertainment i now see he knows nothing about football. Ferguson is a lot of things but the man certainly is NOT an idiot.

To put this into perpective,Steven Gerrard did exactly the same thing against Sheff united on the first day of the season to get a penalty and I dont remember hearing a squeek from the media about this.
    BTW Before the pool fans start. I'm not having a jab at liverpool or gerrard i'm just using that dive as an example.

The english media have been on top of ronaldo all year. He's been the scapegoat for the english national side not progressing in the world cup. I wish someone would just tell english fans that they're national side are cr*p.

In my opinion this has been good for united. Ronaldo HAS performed well this year Whether people like him or not and SAF loves creating the us against them mentality.

But of course, "Ronaldo won the game".

Whats the probleim Jivin Turkey? Ronaldo was MOM, Vidic nearly got a red card for himself as I can remember. Got away three times with 100% yellow card offences, 1 could have been a red (pull back in a 1 on 1 situation). He is a great player, and Rio does look way more comfortable in the backline. Ronaldo played very well, and because he played well United won. Im not saying if he'd had played poorly United would have lost, but those goals did come from the man. He won alot of corners, free kicks and was a thorn in their defence.

VDS had nothing to do except pick the ball out of the net, one easy save and catch one corner.

The back 4 were solid...up against nothing special you have to say

Carrick made one exceptional tackle and had some nice touches but was no where near as influencial.

Scholes and Rooney were hard working but quiet.

Giggs did well linking with Evra, but wasnt as involved as Ronaldo.

Saha, regardless of his brilliant header, was far off from outstanding or impressive.

Ronaldo was man of the match. Was involved in the goals, should of had a pen. won numerous free kicks. Carried the ball 50-60 yards on his own 5 times down the right wing. Pulled in two great crosses (first few minutes and mid second half) where Saha and Rooney respectively failed to connect. Won the ball back 3 times (I was keeping count because I was playing a scored game last night with a mate in my house) nothin special I suppose but still a part of his game we didnt usually see.

Dunphy scolded Ferguson for saying that ronaldo was the victim of a vicious campaign by the media. In fact he called ferguson stupid and an idiot and other such names.

While i enjoy dunphy for his random outbursts and entertainment i now see he knows nothing about football. Ferguson is a lot of things but the man certainly is NOT an idiot.
    Dunphy is only on it to try and be controversial....he's a complete idiot and i don't listen to anything he says!

All he ever does is just try to have a go at people, i think he talks utter ****e. i really wish that people would ignore his stupid outbursts and then he could go away.

If Ronaldo isnt the victim of such a media campaign why was nearly all of the build up to the match taken up by talking about his dive at the weekend??

To put this into perpective,Steven Gerrard did exactly the same thing against Sheff united on the first day of the season to get a penalty and I dont remember hearing a squeek from the media about this.
    BTW Before the pool fans start. I'm not having a jab at liverpool or gerrard i'm just using that dive as an example.

The english media have been on top of ronaldo all year. He's been the scapegoat for the english national side not progressing in the world cup.

agree with pretty much all this 100%

IMO he's been our best player so far this year and all the crap he got from the press is bringing the best out of him.

i reckon he's the best shout for player of the year If Utd were to win the league!
    I wish someone would just tell english fans that they're national side are cr*p.

you were doing so well!

Oh, and in response to a previous post i think ronaldo will win the world player of the year at some stage in his career

Trilla wrote:
    Whats the probleim Jivin Turkey? Ronaldo was MOM......Ronaldo played very well, and because he played well United won. Im not saying if he'd had played poorly United would have lost, but those goals did come from the man. He won alot of corners, free kicks and was a thorn in their defence...... .....Ronaldo was man of the match. Was involved in the goals, should of had a pen. won numerous free kicks. Carried the ball 50-60 yards on his own 5 times down the right wing. Pulled in two great crosses (first few minutes and mid second half)......Won the ball back 3 times
    I don't have the problem.

I've already admitted Ronaldo did well last night.

You seem to have the problem reading my posts, my issue is with the constant over exaggeration of his performances and the blindness of some of his fans to his huge negatives.

Ronaldo did not win the game last night, he had "something to do with all the goals", as in he was involved in winning the set pieces, that let to the crosses by other United players, that as a result of lacklustre marking by Benfica players, again different United players got free headers from. He was only actually "involved" in one of them.

We could relate Gary Neville back to all the goals because he probably gave the ball to Ronaldo to win the set-pieces/cross the ball :rolleyes:

He did well (I've said it again), but far from MOTM, in fact Sky have him as joint third with about three others, and he definitely didn't "win the game".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Vidic was rated higher than Ronaldo on the Sky Sports website ratings. Both by Sky themselves and the fans vote.

http://home.skysports.com/matchratings.aspx?fxid=307288&cpid=5&clid=1

Vidic scored with a great header and was solid throughout, though wasnt tested that much really. He was lucky to stay on the field. Ronaldo had more of a stamp on the game. I was reading in the freemans paper this morning Rooney says he's one of the best in the world. I think he's just a little of that mark now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Advertisement