Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Apparently there's a press conference today at 4.00 with Ferguson and Lippi. Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Just heard this on Webcast for Century Radio Manchester.

Supposedey it's at 4 o'clock and i'd presume Lippi isn't just over on a day trip!

As a Utd Fan i'd be delighted with Lippi, he's the italian version of Ferguson, different styles obviously, but bags of experience and great past success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Any links or confirmation anywhere?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

S.M.B. wrote:
    Apparently there's a press conference today at 4.00 with Ferguson and Lippi. Interesting!

Have you a source for this, and any idea as to what its about?

edit: Yeah, just read about it over on redcafe. They are unsure about whats it has been called for too. Some mention some sort of a charity match or something.

I heard it on the utd website match commentary.

Don't think im allowed to plug other footie sites, but search for red cafe forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

apparantly its about a charity match, thats about it i think.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Any links or confirmation anywhere?

Was also announced on FIVE live during commentary of the Utd v City game.

Fools rush in. After thinking about it, it wouldn't make much sense to announce a new manager mid season. Can't see Lippi willing to do assistant manager.

But a charity match? With who? Some one mentionned a Busby Babes celebration match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Technical director or something meaningless to get him used to Man Utd while fergie beats him with a stick that has ATTACKING FOOTBALL written on it for about 7 months :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote:
    He is improving and will improve more. Lets see how he fairs against City on saturday.

i think the player of the month did okay, an assist and a goal? 3 shots on target and 3 completed crosses out of 4...one or two nice passes and a few mazy runs. Good performance, as good as Giggs IMO. Give them both an 8.5 out of 10. Roll on Villa, Newcastle, Wigan and the likes, and come on yee Gunners!

Just saw this on another board and said id put it up here. Its uniteds spending over the past 3 years compared to Chelsea.

Im shocked to be honest, i never realised that they spend £350 million + on players. Carrick, Rooney, ronaldo and saha account for half of the united total. While the figures may not be totally 100% accurate, there pretty much ok bar maybe the ashley cole one. do you agree that chelsea have wasted some amount of money and most of these transfers have been a failure!?

does anybody have liverpools and arsenals (and indeed newcastle) spending in the same timeframe?

Chelsea 2003
    Man U 2003
    Duff £17M
    Saha £12.82
    Crespo £16.8M
    Ronaldo £12.24
    Makele £16.6m
    Heinz £6.9
    Mutu £15.8m
    Smith £6m
    Veron £12.5m
    Kleberson £5.93
    Parker £10m
    Djemba-Djemba £3.5
    Geremi £7m
    Howard £2.3m
    Bridge £7m
    Bellion £2m
    Cole (joe) £6.6m
    Dong £500k
    Smertin £3.45m
    Lee Martin £200K
    Johnson £3m

Total £115.75m
    Total £52.39

Chelsea 2004
    Man U 2004

Drogba £24m
    Rooney £20m (rising)
    Carvalho £19.85m
    Miller (free)
    Ferreira £13.2m
    VDS (undisclosed)
    Robben £12m
    Pique (free)
    Tiago £8m
    Rossi (undisclosed)
    Cech £7m
    Kezman £5m
    Sinclair £200K

Season Total £89.25m
    Total £25m (about)

Chelsea 2005/6
    Man U 2005/6

Essen £24.4
    Evra £5.5m
    Wright-Phillips £21m
    Vidic £8m
    OBI MIKEL £16
    Park £4m
    Del Horno £8m
    Foster £1m
    Diarra £3m
    Carrick £14m
    Shevchenco £30m
    Kuszczak £2m
    Ballack £???m
    Kalou £???m
    Cole (Ashley) swop £22m
    Boulahrouz £????

Season Total £156m (estimated)
    Total £34.5m

Grand Totals since 2003 - £361m
    £112m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

A lot of wasted money there from Chelski. They make the Kleberson and Djembax2 fees look like pocket change.

How did Veron fool both Fergie and Ranieri? ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

does anybody have liverpools and arsenals (and indeed newcastle) spending in the same timeframe?
    Arsenal:

2003:
    Lehmann (1.5m)
    Fabregas (1m)
    Djourou, Senderos, Clichy (1m or so for the 3)

2004:
    Reyes (10.5m)
    Van Persie (3.5m)
    Lupoli, Bendner, Stokes (1m or so for the 3)
    Flamini (1m)

2005:
    Eboue (1.5m)
    Hleb (9.8m)

2006:
    Walcott (5m)
    Diaby (6.5m)
    Adebayor (4.5m)
    Rosicky (6.8m)
    Song (3m)
    Denilson (1.7m)

A lot of the fees were undisclosed so it can be difficult to tell, but roughly 55-60 mill spent. There are also a couple of kids signed which I didn't bother with including, add a mill or two for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Just saw this on another board and said id put it up here. Its uniteds spending over the past 3 years compared to Chelsea.

Im shocked to be honest, i never realised that they spend £350 million + on players. Carrick, Rooney, ronaldo and saha account for half of the united total. While the figures may not be totally 100% accurate, there pretty much ok bar maybe the ashley cole one. do you agree that chelsea have wasted some amount of money and most of these transfers have been a failure!?

If you're gonna compare the transfer activity between clubs it's only fair to look at the net spending as gross figures can paint a very different picture. I posted Newcastle's figures since the Premiership began a few weeks ago here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I was over at the game at the weekend and the rumour about Lippi was doing the rounds big style after the game.

None of us would have selected Giggs as MOM , he gave away alot of possesion and must have pi$$ed off Gaby , constantly ignoring his runs outside of him.

Saw one very optimistic lad going around with Torres 10 on the back of his shirt.

The game itself was not a classic but all that mattered was the 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Saw one very optimistic lad going around with Torres 10 on the back of his shirt.

I love it. Classic stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Lippi rumour started cause of the stuff in the summer, and the fact he was at OT, but the reality is that he will be managing a European 11 agaisnt United in March.

As for January transfer targets - i would like a central midfielder and a winger, but the central midfielder is the important one. If Carrick gets injured we are kinda screwed. as we on't have Fletch or O'Pies to come in for him.

Trilla wrote:
    i think the player of the month did okay, an assist and a goal? 3 shots on target and 3 completed crosses out of 4...one or two nice passes and a few mazy runs. Good performance, as good as Giggs IMO. Give them both an 8.5 out of 10. Roll on Villa, Newcastle, Wigan and the likes, and come on yee Gunners!
    I thought Ronnie was fantastic on Saturday, but i thought Giggs was rubbish. One of the worst displays i have seen from him in a while . He made a few nice passes but he got nothing out of Richardson at RB and he general use of the ball was terrible.

Tauren wrote:
    I thought Ronnie was fantastic on Saturday, but i thought Giggs was rubbish. One of the worst displays i have seen from him in a while . He made a few nice passes but he got nothing out of Richardson at RB and he general use of the ball was terrible.

Richardson?? Richards you mean. I thought Giggs did well, and he got man of the match. Played some lovely crosses for Rooney and Ronaldo. Ronaldo was brilliant...possibly better and more hard working display then Giggs, which is often not said.

• Advertisement

yeah, sorry.

As for giggs, we'll have to agree to disagree. How Prem Plus gave him man of the match is beyond me - his rating of 5 on Skysports.com is far more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Chelsea 2003
    Man U 2003
    Duff £17M
    Saha £12.82
    Crespo £16.8M
    Ronaldo £12.24
    Makele £16.6m
    Heinz £6.9
    Mutu £15.8m
    Smith £6m
    Veron £12.5m
    Kleberson £5.93
    Parker £10m
    Djemba-Djemba £3.5
    Geremi £7m
    Howard £2.3m
    Bridge £7m
    Bellion £2m
    Cole (joe) £6.6m
    Dong £500k
    Smertin £3.45m
    Lee Martin £200K
    Johnson £3m

Total £115.75m
    Total £52.39

Chelsea 2004
    Man U 2004

Drogba £24m
    Rooney £20m (rising)
    Carvalho £19.85m
    Miller (free)
    Ferreira £13.2m
    VDS (undisclosed)
    Robben £12m
    Pique (free)
    Tiago £8m
    Rossi (undisclosed)
    Cech £7m
    Kezman £5m
    Sinclair £200K

Season Total £89.25m
    Total £25m (about)

Chelsea 2005/6
    Man U 2005/6

Essen £24.4
    Evra £5.5m
    Wright-Phillips £21m
    Vidic £8m
    OBI MIKEL £16
    Park £4m
    Del Horno £8m
    Foster £1m
    Diarra £3m
    Carrick £14m
    Shevchenco £30m
    Kuszczak £2m
    Ballack £???m
    Kalou £???m
    Cole (Ashley) swop £22m
    Boulahrouz £????

Season Total £156m (estimated)
    Total £34.5m

Grand Totals since 2003 - £361m
    £112m
    Liverpool

Harry Kewell (Leeds United, £5m),
    Anthony Le Tallec (Le Havre, £2m),
    Florent Sinama-Pongolle (Le Havre, 2m)

Djibril Cisse (Auxerre, £14m),
    Fernando Morientes (Real Madrid, £6.3m),
    Luis Garcia (Barcelona, £6.09m),
    Josemi (Malaga, £2m),
    Xabi Alonso (Real Sociedad, 10.6m),
    Scott Carson (Leeds United, 1m)

Peter Crouch (Southampton, £7m),
    Jose Reina (Villarreal, £6m),
    Daniel Agger (Brondby, £5.8m),
    Craig Bellamy (Blackburn Rovers, 6m),
    Momo (Valencia, 5,8m),

Jermaine Pennant (Birmingham City, £6.7m),
    Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord, 10.4m),
    Gabriel Paletta (Banfield, 2m.),
    Gonzalez (3m)

Total = 101.6M :eek:

so are we going to sign some1 else in jamuary or what!?? will the hargreaves sage finally end or are we stuck with JOS as cover? there is alot of growing talk of klaas jean huntelaar for £10 million, however this may wait until the summer. the likes of silvestre and richardson are on the way out too i feel.

the likes of silvestre and richardson are on the way out too i feel.

I hope so, if we can recruit 8m sterling or so between the two of them Id be delighted. Optimistic I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote:

Crackin player. I've been watching him for about two years now after I discovered him in Football Manager and the lad is quality. Definitely a potential replacement for Giggs. Hope he doesn't go though!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Just Wondering what your thoughts are on SAF comments on the 5 world class players he has worked under in his 20yr to date at Manu ?

Peter Schmeichel - I agree 100% and for probably the best keeper ever to play in the premiership and manutd to date.

Eric Cantona - I dont agree, he turned it on in the premiership, but could never play a decent game against the Bigger clubs in europe, still one of the greats to play for Manu.

Roy Keane - No question one of if not the best midfielder ever to play for manu and one of the best i have even seeing play.

Ryan Giggs - One the best players to play for manu, i dont believe he ever really played to his real talents. I think if giggs could his right foot as much as his left, we would have seeing a truly great player.

Wayne Rooney - World Class? Yet to be proven, come back and post the question in 10yrs.

Ronaldo - Same as above, not yet proven.

I can't believe he did not mention Scholes or Ruud in that bracket above. Scholes is a world class player and would get into most teams starting eleven in europe. I think one the best attacking midfielders ever to play for manu, but he misses Keane now as he could get forward alot more unlike today where he is been held back. Ruud is utd leading goal scorer in europe and scored an average of 25 goals a season for manu is a proven goal scorer in europe as everyone knows. " Sour Grapes" by SAF.

I agree Beckham, not world class, probably played his best football at manu and i could not fault his work comment when he played for manu. I like most believe that maybe if he never meet Posh Spice he would have been a different player altogether.

The opionons above are of my own and weather you agree or not, i dont care :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't agree, Rooney is ahead of his time being in that list. I think there were too many great players under Fergie to narrow it down to five.

I don't agree, Rooney is ahead of his time being in that list. I think there were too many great players under Fergie to narrow it down to five.

I dont agree, he has played in a world cup and a european championship and has yet to prove to the the rest of world that he is great player who should be regarded as a class player in 10years. ( england hype him up all the time ). he has only one the carling cup to date? How games did he play in the carling cup that year? not to many. I agree rooney is one of are ( manu ) best players, but to say that he is world class is a joke. I have yet to see rooney be consistent for manu in the premiership and europe. I see has one good game but then the next couple is no where to be seeing. I watched the Manu v Chelsea and where was rooney? and just one game i recall, I hear the excuses that he is been played out of position, but if he's world class then he can play any position he is asked week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In fairness little devil, he was England's best player in the European Championships. England probably would have done alot better that time only for Rooney getting injured against Portugal. He scored something like 5 goals by that stage in the tournament. I think that is when he was seen as one of the best youngsters in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

With the champions league draw in an hours time. who do we hope to get out of this selection?

Barcelona, inter, Roma, PSV, REAL Madrid, Lille, porto.

It's quite a strong pool isnt it? The three weakest being Lille PSV and porto.

I'd love to get madrid and knock them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Roma ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Posted yesterday on Red Issue. Interesting....

http://www.si-sv1646.com/showthread.php?t=22068
    Alan Curbishley asked Fergie for advice with regards to the West Han job.

During the conversation Fergie agreed to not bid for Darren Bent leaving him clear to join West Ham in January, if we got first refusal on Reo Cocker. This was agreed so Reo Cocker will join us in Janaury for around £8 million.

Fergie has given up on Hargreaves as Bayern continue to play silly buggers (his words).

Also we can expect to see a striker arrive in January as well as Larson, with Ole going on loan to Sunderland. The identity of the striker I do not know, but again it is all sorted and the deal is done pending a medical. Will let you know more if I hear anything else.

madds wrote:
    Posted yesterday on Red Issue. Interesting....

http://www.si-sv1646.com/showthread.php?t=22068

Trilla reads, as he sucks on a lolly pop salt flavour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

United -v- Lille in the CL, good draw for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I dont agree, he has played in a world cup and a european championship and has yet to prove to the the rest of world that he is great player who should be regarded as a class player in 10years. ( england hype him up all the time ). he has only one the carling cup to date? How games did he play in the carling cup that year? not to many. I agree rooney is one of are ( manu ) best players, but to say that he is world class is a joke. I have yet to see rooney be consistent for manu in the premiership and europe. I see has one good game but then the next couple is no where to be seeing. I watched the Manu v Chelsea and where was rooney? and just one game i recall, I hear the excuses that he is been played out of position, but if he's world class then he can play any position he is asked week in week out.
    Either you misunderstood me or didn't mean to quote me, but my point was also that Rooney shouldn't be on the list ;)

.........yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Just read that united have finally got a work permit for Dong and he will arrive at OT in january.

What a disaster of a result against west ham. I had a feeling after the chelsea came back to win that maybe we would drop points and we did. I dont think we played well and never got going. We played are best 11, but when you look at what we have on the bench we really are short. What was he doing brining carrick off for o'shea? SAF said that Rooney was a world class player, well in my opionon Ronaldo is playing better then he at the moment and i honestly thought Rooney was rubbish today and has been most of the season. He had a great game against bolton, but thats it. The lad has talent no talent no doubt, but i really do think he is playing rubbish. Rio Ferdinand backed out of a few challanges today, whats with that?

Just wondering if anyone knows what number Henrik Larsson will have this year? I suspect number 10 but have not seeing or heard anything to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Piss poor performance today. I have to say Chelsea are playing like the champs at the moment not us :o Look back at Chelseas last 3 games, they peppered the gunners and should have won last wkend, nudged out a 1-0 against Newcastle and produced 3 world class strikes to win a game they could have easily lost today. Sadly Im not seeing that quality shine thru the Utd team at the moment :mad: Apart from Ronaldo today there was nothing really happening, apart from King Louis's few shots.
    It was almost like Utd went there for a draw today :eek:

We could easily be 2nd place in the league this time next wkend, need to get back to back wins over xmas period or we can forget about it.

Sizzler wrote:
    Piss poor performance today. I have to say Chelsea are playing like the champs at the moment not us :o Look back at Chelseas last 3 games, they peppered the gunners and should have won last wkend, nudged out a 1-0 against Newcastle
    Except Chelsea were piss poor in those two games considering the make shift reserves/youth team players they were up against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kinaldo wrote:
    Except Chelsea were piss poor in those two games considering the make shift reserves/youth team players they were up against.

In fairness, look at the reaction they had to going down....look at our reaction today...no comparison sadly.

Still not fully convinced by Carrick :(

Henrik might be playing more than he thought come Jan 1st ;)

Meanwhile another great Van Nistelrooy strike earns Madrid 3 more valuable points against Espanyol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6pIa5wAjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sizzler wrote:
    Still not fully convinced by Carrick :(
    i agree

looks very ordinary

now its only 2 points ahead of chelsea

and we had great subs to bring on to during the West Ham game to change the game didnt we :rolleyes:

that waste of space O Shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

we lack depth in midfield and that has to be of major concern in the jan market. We need another midfielder!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Teamtalk say:
    Bayern Munich are finally "ready to listen to offers" for Owen Hargreaves after the midfielder again stated his wish to join Manchester United

ON sky sports too
    Sky Sports wrote:
    The German giants fought tooth-and-nail to keep the England international in the summer after his displays at the World Cup convinced Sir Alex Ferguson of his quality.

Bayern have always maintained they are desperate to keep hold of Hargreaves and chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insisted as much last week.

However general manager Uli Hoeness has now admitted that if a replacement can be sought, then the German champions could be convinced into selling the tenacious midfielder.

"If ever we found a replacement for Owen, who cost less than we'd get for him, we might be prepared to think about it," said Hoeness in The Sun.

However United are likely to be frustrated in any attempt to recruit Hargreaves in the winter as Bayern need all their star men as they look to progress in the UEFA Champions League.

"We face Real Madrid in the Champions League so we're not about to weaken our team," Hoeness added. "We're not a bank, we're a football club.

"Our priority is to strengthen the team and we need Hargreaves for that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Cant see them selling in january though. This suits us anyway. It'll take him a few months to get back to full fitness.

He seems like a good lad. He's a tackler and the most important thing is he want to play for man u.

I'd expect Bayern to want around 10-15 million for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Can't see Bayern selling in jan, though not entirely out of the question.

Anyone reckon we'll make any other signings? Considering we'll have back some of the loanees in January (Bardsley, Martin, Rossi, Simpson and Evans afaik). We still need a couple of signings on top of Henrik and the loan players I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we will be making some signings, just by how Fergie is talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Bring back Gibson from Antwerp and put him in ahead of Fletcher and O'****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement