Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

riquelme would be like another veron.
    how old is macherano is a long term replacement of keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

mascherano is only 22

excellent, the transfer would have to be done before the world cup or his price would skyrocket if he played a good tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cheesedude wrote:
    I don't want Riquelme from what I have seen of him. He would not be suited to Utd.

agree after the arsenal match im gone off him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

PHB

We took Lee Martin from MK Dons instead of Reo Coker.

who is lee martin :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Reserve team midfielder, made the Benfica squad

http://www.manutd.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=12083

maybe he will turn out to be good he is still young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest I don't think Diaara is the answer to ANY top teams porblems.
    His distrubition is poor, when he runs with the ball it rearly has an end product and besides a few good tackles a game he doesn't actually do much, I think Essien (whom I don't really rate!) is a far better player!

Some of the stuff said avouy Javier Mascherano is utter rubbish aswell, he hardly makes "surging runs" into the opposing box, he is more like Makaelellelelelelelelelle, in that he sits about 20 yards from his own D, breaks up play and passes the ball on to a team mate, that said he's amazing at it, his only fault is the sheer ammount of silly free's he gives away and how often he is suspended, besides he'd cost more than Diaara, corinthins have more money to spend than man u do and they don't want to sell thier best players, the only way Tevez, Carlos Alberto, Nilmar or Mascherano will be leaving Corinthins is for far more money than they are worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cheesedude wrote:
    I don't want Riquelme from what I have seen of him. He would not be suited to Utd.

I agree, he bottled the pen big time, he never looked like scoring it , If Fergie was considering buying him I hope that gave hime second thoughts.

Any news on Carrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

His distrubition is poor, when he runs with the ball it rearly has an end product and besides a few good tackles a game he doesn't actually do much,

The first statement is just incorrect, the second is irrelevent as we don't really expect him to, and the third statement is just silly, it's well known that makelele had pretty much no effect on Chelsea's success this year, oh wait.
    Some of the stuff said avouy Javier Mascherano is utter rubbish aswell, he hardly makes "surging runs" into the opposing box,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yIn7VAcFyU&search=Mascherano
    I guess you are correct, it was from outside the box.
    the only way Tevez, Carlos Alberto, Nilmar or Mascherano will be leaving Corinthins is for far more money than they are worth.

The same thing is said every year about every South American player, and it never holds true.
    We took Lee Martin from MK Dons instead of Reo Coker.

I know, I think Lee Martin is a good player, might make it at United.
    You could make a list of incredible players from the list of players that United turned down, but it's highly unlikely that they woulda made it at United.

Last night United won the reserves treble with a back heeled goal from Pique and a thunder bolt from Solskjar.

Gibson (An Irish midfielder from Cork) played an absolute stormer and is set to play for United this weekend against Charlton.
    Rossi finishes the season with a record breaking 30 goals.
    Pique continues to be a rock at the center of the defense
    Kieran Lee did another great job getting forward
    Neumayr delivered some telling crosses
    Campbell and Rose did well

Overall, it's be an increidlbe season for the reserves, another one.
    Fergie intends to bring some of them in this weekend, and a lot of them in for pre-season training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Darren Gibson is from Derry and I can't see Fergie bringing many of them in as the game against Charlton is a must win!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB always talks a good game when talking about players linked to Utd. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

jank wrote:
    PHB always talks a good game when talking about players linked to Utd. :D
    Lets not forget the revolutionary left back that is Evra

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Or the quality and very promising player that is John o'Shea.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jank wrote:

I rest my case.

john o'shea should be one of those cleared out in the summer
    what a waste of space

Fletcher should be gone too

I still think he's gona be great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

PHB wrote:
    I still think he's gona be great :)

How much more do you expect a 25 year old to develop? Given that the peak of performance a player achieves in normally about 27 what extra is he going to do?

I don't know, being in a midfield for the second half of the season where they gained ground on Chelsea is pretty impressive.

The man has unfortunately become a utility man, the new phil Neville, but he is technically gifted, and once he finds a position, he will be a quality player.
    I think he has developed technically, physically, and mentally as strong as he was ever gona, with a couple more years of development, in a specific position, I think he could do well for United, and I hope he sticks around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

PHB wrote:
    I don't know, being in a midfield for the second half of the season where they gained ground on Chelsea is pretty impressive.

The man has unfortunately become a utility man, the new phil Neville, but he is technically gifted, and once he finds a position, he will be a quality player.
    I think he has developed technically, physically, and mentally as strong as he was ever gona, with a couple more years of development, in a specific position, I think he could do well for United, and I hope he sticks around.

Yes he is a bit of a utility man, unfortunately for him! He is outstanding in some games like when Utd beat Arseanl 4-2 in Highbury! But like Neville not outstanding in any position and steady in a few, and that will be his downfall!

But these few more years development you talk about means that he will be in a decline in the position he plays in comparision with youger and better players in that position

A good review of the United reserves team season here from another board:
    Manchester United Reserves end of season review 2005-2006

This has certainly been the most tumultuous season for the reserves in the last three years. With the majority of the 1st team going out on loan midway through the season. Nearly all the stars of the reserves were snatched up by one club or another with only Pique and Rossi being left behind of the real stars of the 1st xi for the reserves.

It is credit to

A) the sheer quality of our set-up and players at the next level down (u-18’s)
    B) Rossi’s consistency in front of goal and with his assists
    C) And some bold decisions by Renee Mulensteen

That we managed to settle the ship and instil all the new players and still acquire the Northern Reserve League title, the Senior Cup and will contest the Reserve North vs. South Cup against Tottenham Hotspur on Thursday the 4th of May. That’s back-to-back league titles and a display of our brilliance at this level. We are the first team in history to win the title back-to-back! We are aiming for the treble this year, if we beat spurs in the Reserves final game of the season that’ll be 8trophies in 2seasons!

I hate to repeat myself, but I’ve never known so many kids to have a chance of making it here in one go like we have right now. Some are going to be turfed out by no fault of their own (as they will quite literally be up against a top 5player in his position in the world) and will go on to be success elsewhere in the PL, imo. This crop of players will all be playing at least Championship level football somewhere in the world when they leave here. If you know anything about the ride reserves go on to make it as pros you will understand that this is an incredible achievement. Usually for every handful that make it at PL level many times more are told they either wont make it as a pro or are turfed out to much lower level football and then fade into obscurity. I’m not going to call our lot ‘Babes’ that would be downright ridiculous, but I will say that like the Babes many of them will be unleashed on the leagues at the same time, even if they’re not in the PL – this is a very, very rare occurrence. Not something I’m familiar with actually, but the amount of talent we have here and their ability to perform is just undeniable. The Wallwork/ Greening/Chadwick level of player are few and far between for us right now and this could well turn out to be Fergie’s biggest ever harvest of players who will either succeed here, in the PL or in the Championship. We’ll make a fair penny off some as well, which is also a bonus.

Anyway, enough of my musings.

The Football Played

If you keep yourself up to date with the reserves and eye our scorelines in some games you will see we have won games by 4’s, 5’s and even 6goals! Usually this would probably reflect badly on the league rather then people linking it to us being that much better than everyone else. I will say in the past 2seasons the United reserves have played the best football and most representative of Manchester United since the late 90’s. The style is every bit identical to the great team of that time. The United 4-4-2, the movement of the strikers the strength and raw aggression of the midfield, the one touch and the ability to retain possession for minutes at a time. The best performance of the season came in our 6-0 demolition of Manchester City just a month or so ago! This is a team that always gives us trouble and has regularly matched up to us, we absolutely tore them to shreds and it was simply a joy to witness. I said at the time it was one of the best games I’ve seen in years and I stand by that, they were fantastic and if you ever want to see the reserves in full flow that’s one of the games I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Application and Physique

Something I feel should point out in this review is the importance of application and physique in making the step-up to the 1st team. I feel that no matter your height in the PL you need to be well built to survive. You don’t need to be an ogre or anything of the sort, but you have to have a strong physique to you to get by. When people mention short players for example they rarely take into account the relative build of the player in question. Zola is one that instantly comes to mind as the kind of player I mean. He may have been small, but he had a great deal of upper body strength and was very difficult to knock off the ball when in stride. The ‘whisp’ like player is going to struggle in the league no matter how tall he is imo. A prime example is Darren Fletcher, he is tall, but his rake like build often has him bullied out of games as his lack of upper body strength gets exposed, another would be Ji Sung Park. Players with a light build relative to their height are in for a tough time in the Premier League. It is a major reason why youngsters who may be talented enough to play in the league are not given the chance until they bulk up.

The same thing goes for application. Some incredibly talented reserves fall by the wayside because they don’t have the application of a Darren Fletcher or a Gary Neville. They may have a lot more base talent, but without the application and heart needed to beak out as a PL professional. Mads Timm is perhaps the most famous example of this in recent years. He has the talent of a Giuseppe Rossi or a David Jones, but has effectively ruined himself with his application, or lack thereof. I can make all the calls in the world, but unless a player wears his heart on his sleeve it’s very hard to tell how their application is. I pray that Danny Simpson, for example, has the application to go with his phenomenal talent, if he does there will be no stopping him in my opinion. It is on this score that many players fade out and become a waste. It’s worthy of its own paragraph and always something to consider when evaluating players, not just at reserve level, but in general, when that application is gone or diminishes the constitution of the player can change dramatically. The desire to succeed and the ambition to try is essential, whether you’re a Giuseppe Rossi or a donkey.

It is often during the bad times and not the good times that you find out what a player is made of and what kind of character he has.
    Does his head drop in games that are not going his way?
    Can he pick himself up after bad performances?
    Do dips in form affect his output as part of the team?
    Can he adapt to problems?
    How does he handle injury (and recouping from one?)
    Does he have the consistency to perform and be patient even when he feels he is passed this level and is not getting the chances he perhaps deserves in the 1st team set-up?

Etc, etc.

Work-rate, passion, and commitment allayed with talent and physical build (not height per se) is a manager’s dream. It is not often you’ll get it all in a reserve, when you do, it’s going to be those players that make it as the others drop off along the way.

continued

Player Profiles

Code

Bold = Start and/or mid season reviews
    EOSR= End Of Season Review

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard

EOSR

Well, as I said in January, I had my doubts about Tim and since then he’s been replaced in the reserves by Luke Steele. I think Tim’s time here is up. At the time of writing he’s been linked to Everton, he’d be very wise to take it, I’m surprised, but happy that a PL club actually wants him. They obviously want to try and iron out the bad parts of his game that we just can’t work on any longer knowing that VDS is in the last year of his time here, we need to be looking for a new number one or someone who can step up when VDS has gone and that most definitely is not Tim, unfortunately.

Tommy Lee
    Nationality: English
    Height: est 5’10 positions played: GK

He’s had a decent run of games for us and has looked very good in them. The problem I have in analysing keepers for us is that they are so rarely called upon that it makes it difficult to get a full scope of the keeper’s abilities. For example with Tim, I can specifically look at how he handles crosses and things he generally struggled with for the 1st team. With Tommy you only get to see his game in select circumstances – when we are truly on the ropes – this just doesn’t happen often enough for me to see his strengths and weaknesses. Right now I’d say he’s a competent keeper with sharp reflexes. There’s no way to tell if he’s MUQ yet though.

EOSR

Tommy really is a tough one to call. He just looks like the run-of-the-mill keeper to me thus far, not spectacular at anything, but has no obvious weaknesses in his game. He’s not MUQ yet in my opinion, but the path of a keeper is very different to an outfielder, only the truly blessed (Casillas, Cech come to mind) shine splendidly at such an age. If Tommy is ever going to be our #1 it’s not going to be for a long, long time yet. But I think he’ll be sent on loan for a season or two and then we’ll see him grow and gather more experience and take it from there. One thing I can commend him for is his consistency however. It’s a very important attribute for a keeper and he’s most certainly consistent.

Luke Steele
    Height: est 5’11 positions played: GK

As the season has come to a close Steele has had a run in the team and he looks like a more dynamic keeper than T.Lee. what he struggles with is decision making, very clearly it is his age and experience showing rather than a fault in his game. He has improved before my eyes with virtually every game. He learnt a lot during the few games he had Gaby Heinze in front of him ‘point-clicking’ him into positions on corners and crosses and also instructing him on when to come and collect balls. He is an agile keeper, one who may rely more on agility than solid positioning. He is no Barthez or Kamini, so when I say agile please don’t think he flies around his line like a cat. His agility is shown in how he can be wrong-footed (due to poor positioning) and still jump or scramble to an awkward positioned ball to make a save.

He’s very raw for now. Nowhere near ready for us. Again, it’s hard to say MUQ for a keeper, their path and growth is very different and less obvious than an outfielder. I also think it’s a position where you’re not likely to see a reserve make it. Keepers for top clubs are usually ready made and exceptional. I wouldn’t say we have an exceptional keeping talent here and would expect us to buy in this position rather then wait and hope.

Defenders

Gerard Pique
    Nationality: Spanish
    Height: 6’4 positions played: CB(n) & LB

What I wrote at the start of the season:

He is stronger, faster and a lot more confident this term. His natural development is pushing him forward and he is developing into a more all-round CB then he was. He can still dribble, pass and carry the ball forward but now he is more likely to get his foot in on tackles and be more aggressive in regards to containing his CB. He is conceding more fouls because of this but it is a good thing not a bad one as last term at times he looked hideously exposed against strikers who were aggressive and as big as he is. Citeh’s Ishmael Miller immediately comes to mind as one of those who did a number on both Pique and McShane last term. This time around I believe Pique will hold his own a lot more and he will learn to time those newfound aggressive and pro-active tackles of his. He’s nowhere near ready for the 1st team, he still has a lot to learn, but the end of this term when I do a full season review this may no longer be the case. Pique fills me with hope and I really believe he is going to become a premier CB.

Mid-Season

Pique has made great strides forward since I last wrote about him. He’s now getting on the bench for the first team at times and has proven he has the footballing ability to be used as a DM when called upon. Like Rio, Pique often makes surges out of defence to try and affect play and shake things up if we are in a pinch. As I wrote before, his newfound aggression is helping his game greatly. He now has an edge to him and a bite he did not have this time last year. Pique isn’t going to be in the reserves for much longer. If anything he’s going to either be promoted or loaned out either this window or the next one. Like Rossi, he’s gotten to the stage now where you can see he has nothing left to learn at reserve level. The aggression stakes were his last obstacle, now he needs some experience and a different kind of challenge.

EOSR

Pique is ready for the 1st team squad. He’s tougher, stronger a lot more confident and strolls through reserve football now. Those big, pacey strikers that used to give him trouble (Ishmael Miller, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Gabriel Agbanglahor) are now players he can cope against with the correct partner next to him. He used to look a bit startled against this type of striker, but not anymore, he has the confidence to match them for strength and show his defensive dominance by ushering them to positions he wants them in rather than where they want to go. The rough edges to his game are gone and it’s clear now why he was kept back this little extra – he was close last term, but now he’s EPL ready. I’ve got a lot of faith in Pique, I would not panic if I saw him our line-up for a semi-important game. I trust him a lot more than a player like O’Shea for example and he has more technique than many who call themselves squaddies right now.

I would hope he is the 4th CB for us next season and understudy to Rio of the 1st choice CB’s. He belongs in that grouping with Rio/Wes/Vidic now and he’s done everything asked of him to earn the chance. As I’ve said for 2seasons now, Pique is a MUQ player who can go all the way to the top given the chance to do so. He’s in the esteemed bracket of David Jones and Giuseppe Rossi for me. They are the spine of what was a monstrous reserve team (the one that swept 5trophies out of 6 in a single season) and he has progressed just as well as the others. Also added RB to his repertoire (as he made his full PL debut there) and that was only his 2nd time ever playing the position! But as foretold, his level of technique and calm lends itself to numerous positions and he could very well be an emergency DM for us if ever needed.

I’m happy for him, the manager clearly has him in his plans, I’m happy for us, he’ll save us a lot of money looking for a 4th CB and if he proves himself, he’s our natural successor to Rio no less.

Acceleration – Moderate
    Pace – Above average
    Build – Premiership ready
    Constitution – strong
    Preferred foot – Heavily leans toward his right, but is comfortable on his left.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Very high.

Jonathon Evans
    Nationality: Northern Irish
    Height: 6’1 positions played: CB, SWE

He’s only 17 and has been promoted from the u-18 where obviously he was exceptional. He’s not a player I know much about and he doesn’t get much exposure beings as he is in a no thrills position. Will have to comment on him later in the season to see how he has coped with his first season at reserve level. He has looked good so far..but that is hardly enough of a review so I’ll give him his due mid-season.

Mid-Season

Easy to see why he was promoted from the u-18 team. He is mature beyond his years in all aspects of his game. His forte is reading play and intercepting balls without going to ground. He’s taller then I estimated as well I’d say he’s about 6’ tall and he knows how to use his body strength well. Not sure about his pace, he has never had reason to be all out in a sprint as he often positions himself well enough to not have to over exert himself. I like this player, he has a way to go and has to grow quite a bit, but at 17 what would you expect. As soon as Pique is done with the reserves Evans will step into his role as the ball playing CB who likes to break rank and take the ball up field.

EOSR

Rossi Non-withstanding, Jonathon Evans is my Player of The Half Season by a huge distance. This kid is an amazing talent at CB. It’s quite literally disgusting to watch him shackle striker after striker he comes up against in the reserves. I even gave him a 9.5 out of 10 his performance in the 6-0 demolition of Citeh. He is better than Pique, for a start. Very much in the way you can say Campbell is better than Blake despite doing less. You can see Evans’ class immediately. He is the player I wouldn’t tell you about if I took you to a game and you’d ask me who he was within 30minutes. He oozes the kind of class I last saw in Danny Simpson, D.Jones and Rossi. I can not recall him putting a foot wrong this term. Mistakes do not seem to be part of repertoire. He is ‘too’ calm! He is assured, precise, intelligent and extremely confident starting attacks out of the back.

He was paired up with Heinze and Pique this season once he got his full reserve break and he has always looked the better player! He has the air of a player that does not need to learn, but rather just needs to grow and fill out. I’m quite certain you can’t teach a player to move and be positionally and defensively aware like that. It’s a gift and it’s certainly part of why he oozes class. I have as much confidence he will make it here as I reserve for D.Jones and Rossi exclusively. Unlike Pique, Evans can play as both a conventional, proactive CB or a reactive and laid back Sweeper type without a fuss. He has taken on and switched to both roles in accordance with who he is partnered with. When he played with Heinze he took the sweeper-type role. When he is paired with Pique he either alternates (as the player who breaks from defence and carries the ball up-field) or plays the proactive player. I haven’t seen a striker get the better of him yet and it’s why I can’t put a weakness to his game yet. Obviously, they’ll be revealed as he goes up the ranks, but at reserve level he’s shutting down his side of the pitch so much so that strikers naturally lean towards Pique’s side to get change. Even with Heinze on the pitch it is him they try to take on rather than going at Evans.

I expect him to be fast-tracked either to a loan next season or to some kind of interactions with the first team next year in the Carling Cup (if we take it lightly in the 1st few rounds). By his age alone he has no business as a CB being anything to do with the 1st team for a few years yet, but I’ll make the call now and say I expect to see him get a CC run-out. I’m pretty sure if he carries on with this level of performance, or dare I say it, above it, at the start of the next reserve season the club is going to have to loan him out (just as they fast-tracked Simpson this year) just to find out what weaknesses he has and how he copes if he needs to go up a level still.

I mentioned he was ‘too’ calm earlier in his write-up. What I mean by this is that he just doesn’t seem bothered when he’s up against it, perhaps that’s his style, but to me it looks like he’s playing well within himself. He sometimes let’s his man go past him on purpose and I’m thinking ‘but you could’ve made the tackle there’ almost ready to curse him and then he’ll scoop the ball off the striker’s foot, turn and just jog away as if he’s playing against a child. He’s done that quite a few times this season and it always gets a round of applause from the crowd and a gasp of amazement from me. You can’t teach a CB to play like that. In fact, I’d think he’s breaking a few of the basics in the CB manual sometimes with the things he does. It may have him caught out one day, but that day has definitely not come to him in the reserves. He’s only been playing at this level for 5months and already it looks like he needs to move on for a (bigger) challenge! I’m not talking about his physical build either, he obviously needs to fill out a bit, I’m talking about his technical level, I have yet to see his mask of calm even disrupted. What I want to see is him get really, really pushed by some strikers to see if he can play how he does in the reserves against them. I basically want to see him get mauled a few times…

a) to see how it affects him and he copes with it.
    b) To see if he can adapt to a player he knows has the beating of him
    c) For my own piece of mind.

I’d like to see him get the worst of it all: Rooney, Henry, Ruud, Drunken Ferguson. Just to know this kid, is in fact still a kid and does have more to learn. It’s a bit odd to make a review of a teenager and have nothing bad to say about him, but what can I say? I haven’t seen him beaten by anyone in the reserves where I have seen Bardsley, McShane, Pique and co get absolutely mauled by Agbanglahor, Miller, BWP at one time or another. Evans has breezed through all his games as you would expect someone like Rio to do at a level far beneath his talents. His path reminds me a lot of Simpson and how he got fast-tracked. He had no equal in the league and he was not going to develop at that level. This seems to me to be Evans’ path as well. If Rossi wasn’t on the pitch with him (since the influx of new kids came up after the other reserves were loaned out) he would have won MoM from me for around 80% of the games he’s played this half-term.

Acceleration – Very good
    Pace – Unsure (he has never gone at full pace as far as I can see, so I can’t call it)
    Build – Thin, tall, not PL ready. Quite strong.
    Constitution – strong
    Preferred foot – Very comfortable on either foot.

Kieran Lee
    Height: est 5’9 positions played: LB, LW

Has looked comfortable at LB, he’s aggressive and likes to overlap on the flank. Unfortunately for him, he’s had to make way of late for players returning from injury or dropping down from 1st team squaddie level (Fortune and Richardson) so a full review would not be fair.

Acceleration – Above average
    Pace – Above average
    Build – Thin, meek, not Premiership ready
    Constitution – Head can drop in tough games.
    Preferred foot – Left.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Average.

Phil Marsh
    Height: est 5’8 positions played: RB, RW(n),

Nominally a RW. He is covering well at RB and is very aggressive in attack, defensively he is sharp in the tackle, but a little naïve. It’s quite clear he’s not a RB and as you would expect from a natural RW’r, he is much better going forward than he is going in the other direction. I’m going to have to wait until next season to give him a full review. He hasn’t been tested hard enough for me to say much right now.

Acceleration – Very quick
    Pace – Above average
    Constitution – Determined, never gives up.
    Preferred foot – Right.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Below average.

special mention

Danny Simpson
    Height: est 5’9 positions played: RB, RW,

A prodigious talent who has been moved up from the u-18 at times to fill in for Bardsley. Superb pace and stamina and very much like a defensive version of Ashley Cole. He tracks his man relentlessly and is excellent at ushering players into touch. He’s one of the ‘next of the next stars’ and another one who is going to jump up the ranks well before his age would dictate that he should. He has the build of the average kid of his age and so obviously until he bulks up he’s not going to be a consideration for any level above the reserves. I will say this though, he is good enough to merit a special mention and that should tell you enough about his talent.

Mid-Season

He has been our best player (Rossi is banned) this term and has looked absolutely phenomenal at RB. This kid has it all. Pace, power, technique, passing, crossing, shooting, defending and attacking, stamina, heart.. he’s the best RB I’ve seen at the club. If he fulfils his immense potential he is going to be one of the best RB’s in the world. In the same way people were forecasting about Cole before he made his debut the same can be said about Simpson. He’s an identikit to Ashley Cole only on the right side of the pitch instead of the left. For a right-back he has every single skill in both directions a player needs and he is a brilliant dribbler and has an accurate and purposeful shot on him as well. He doesn’t do things by accident. When he shoots for the top corner, he hits the top corner. When he crosses to Rossi on the far post over 8players in the box, he hits his mark. When he dribbles past 3 or 4 men(lads) he looks up and makes his next play.

Sometimes you see special talent and can call it immediately, Simpson is in that bracket and barring injury or a gross loss of form(talent) he is going to be a special player for Manchester United in the future. As it stands he’d be my tip to take over from G.N in 2-3years time.

EOSR

Simpson was fast-tracked out of the reserves as predicted and sent to Belgium with much older players who are on the brink of making it here or being sold on. The reserves offered no challenge to Simpson and it was obvious he wasn’t going to be there long. I expect him to be loaned out again next term, rumours are that he’ll be sent to Holland, He’s still built like the boy that he is and until that changes we can’t entertain the idea of him getting a shot for the 1st squad, but he presents a unique problem. His ability outstrips his size by some way and to test that ability he’s going to have to be up against men who are much stronger and older than he is.

Acceleration – Fastest in the reserves
    Pace – Very, very quick
    Build – Thin, strong for his build, not Premiership ready
    Constitution – Seems to have it all.
    Preferred foot – Right, comfortable on left.

Midfielders

Darron Gibson
    Nationality: Irish
    Height: est 5’10 positions played: CM

Another youngster promoted from the u-18’s and he looks like he has something about him. I can definitely see why he was promoted as he hustles well, is very strong in the tackle and works extremely hard until the final whistle. He has oodles of stamina and a superb shot on his right foot. Indeed, the type who you will see score maybe 3goals a season but all 3 would be rockets that would contend for goal of the season. What I like about him is that he is very raw yet you can see the potential he has. Ricky hasn’t even gotten his hands on him for two months and already there is an improvement in his game. Those kids who come through to the reserves at the ages of 16 and 17 are always exceptional talents who if coached correctly and continue to progress could well be stars before 24. Rossi, Blake, Campbell, Pique, Martin and now Gibson is another who has popped into the reserves before the age of 18! he is one to look out for imo and a N’galula – Gibson partnership is what I think we will see this term if both stay fit. This kid has no refined art to his game. You don’t look at him and see silky skills or precise, rapier like passing but what you do see is a messy canvas of bright colours – the brighter the colour the more talent – and if the staff can turn this kids colours into a painting he is a real talent of the next, next wave after Jones, Pique, Blake and Rossi come through. Gibson and Campbell would be my tips to make it at United in around 4-5yrs time. Look out for this kid.

Mid-Season

He started off fantastically well and then he was removed from the reserve team. I don’t know why that happened it certainly wasn’t because of poor performances, but he was put back in the u-18 side again and drifts uncertainly between the two teams. I’d guess that Ritchie Jones’ return to fitness is the main reason. I don’t know why we don’t pair the two together. Gibson has a peach of a shot on him and can put them in rocket-like from 30yards out in a manner very similar to Scholes. He isn’t prolific, but then again he doesn’t take as many shots from distance as he should. I like the way this kid plays, energy and direction with a strong purpose to his game. It’s difficult to tell how he’ll turn out or precisely which position it is that he’ll play when he’s done developing. He could turn out as a deep lying playmaker, an attacking mid in the mould of Scholes or Lampard (although his wild style mimics Gerrard more than anyone I can think of)

Whatever it is that he may become, he has the tools to become a top class player. He’ll get his full breakout season with the reserves next term I think, or if enough of the reserves go out on loan this month. He’s one I like watching play.

EOSR

Darron Gibson is another one of the players who slots into the special bracket. Along with Simpson, Evans, Pique, D.Jones and Rossi he’s in the bracket of players I expect to make it here. His talent is far reaching and he has many strings to his bow. He’s a multi-faceted player as an individual. He can shoot, pass, run, tackle, dribble (pretty well) effortlessly. The side of the game he needs to learn is interaction with others. He’s a bit of a one man show in that he’s sometimes not in sync with anyone else, but still makes the team better. He can play near any pass he wants too either on the ground or flighted, but quite strangely for one with such an ability he does not ‘see’ the field like people who can pass like that usually do. If he does, then he’s not playing in that manner. He’s still very maverick and needs to learn that although he is a one man show, he needs to be part of the loop instead of his own universe, He is not a selfish player, don’t get me wrong, but he doesn’t do anything the easy way and it can lead to a lot of confusion around him.

An example: we have possession and everyone is playing snazzy, one-touch football. He complies for a while, but then he’ll take the ball and instead of hitting the through ball into space he may or may not see, he’ll do something like a 40yard reverse pass to a man no one was expecting the ball to go too. It leads to a few ‘Wtf did he do that for’ moments and shows he needs to develop the team part of his game. It’s quite ironic that if he was a DM at the back of the diamond the way he plays would be perfect, but in a flat 4-4-2 he really needs to switch that part of his game into sync with everyone else. He’s quite unique in this sense amongst those who have the biggest chance of making it here (Simpson, Evans, Pique, D.Jones and Rossi) in that he’s the only one who instinctively doesn’t do the ‘right’ thing for the team) there’s no doubt at all he can have that fault ironed out of his game. I really wish he’d had D.Jones here as his captain (he wouldn’t have that problem anymore) to help him along.

Gibson reminds me a lot of the Rooney or Gerrard type of player who plays purely off instinct and outside of the box normal players are limited to. It’s acceptable for the other two because they play further up-field where their actions don’t affect the team as much if they are playing that way, but with Gibson in a pivotal CM role with a partner, he simply has to toe-the-line and reign in some of his impulses. He’s that player who is shooting when he should pass, passing when he should use that sublime shot of his (he’s good for 8goals a season if he sorts out that decision making, imo) and getting by without a scratch because he has so much ability to fall back on.

Gibson needs a strong partner next to him next term or he’ll have to find his feet by himself, which may take a little longer. His talent is without question and he has been fantastic when he has played, but the cerebral part of his game in relation to others will have change so he gets himself on the same page as everyone else. I have no worries about Gibson, he’s in the reserves way before he should be which is always a massive indication of how much ability a player has and he’s in the reserves to actually iron out such blips from his game before he’s moved on to the next level. He has a rosy future at United imo.

Acceleration – Above average
    Pace - Above average
    Build – Very strong, powerful, Premiership ready
    Constitution – Tries to do too much.
    Preferred foot – Right, left seems identical, can play almost any pass on either foot.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – High.

Ritchie Jones
    Age 19
    Height est. 5’10 position played: CM

Finally got to get a good look at this kid and he is certainly an exciting prospect, but he’s very raw. Talent isn’t his problem, decision making and playing as part of team is. He’s not out there alone like a Ronaldo, but he is not the kind of player who is playing for the team like a Park. The ‘problem’ with Jones is that he is a good dribbler and very adept at step-over mis-directions. This is a problem because he’ll often attempt to take on more than one player and this leads to him getting tackled in very unnecessary positions that leave the team vulnerable right through the heart of midfield.

On talent, you can see he has a lot about him. He wrong foots players with ease and gets to where he wants to go at least 60% of the time. The problems actually arise when he gets to his intended target area and has to make a quick decision. Most times he’ll pick the wrong option i.e shoots when he should have passed, passes when he should shoot dribbles when he shouldn’t etc. I would think that he’ll improve these things with experience and maturity. The coaching staff have a talented player to work with in R.Jones, but he is far, far away from the finished article. He already plays for England at u-19 level and on talent you can see why, but for us to use him as a tangible force in midfield he has a lot to work on before he’ll get the nod.

He’ll benefit from playing week in and week out, but he is quite injury prone and will have to stay fit for this to come into fruition.

EOSR

Still not impressed with R.Jones to be honest. His game isn’t impressive in either direction. Compared to Gibson and D.Jones, Ritchie is no competition and if it’s 2 from 3 for survival here he doesn’t stand a chance. They are better than him at everything and have more abilities on top of that so I’d be a bit concerned for him. Something else that really leaves me u****ressed with R.Jones is that he never, not once looks like the standout CM in a game. He never takes control of anything and basically remains anonymous for the majority of the 90. I like my CM’s to stamp some kind of impression on a game, R.Jones is instantly forgettable to me.

He’s tenacious in the tackle and very zestful, he hovers around a lot, but when he retrieves the ball I don’t ever get the feeling something spectacular may happen as you get in turns with everyone else in attack (inc. Gibson) Next season will be telling for him. He really needs to make an impression as an all-round CM whether he stays here or gets loaned out. Right now he’s not a player I expect to see pushing D.Jones or Gibson in the future, he’s a Fergie favourite though….so he may be kept on past sell by date….

Acceleration – Average
    Pace – Average
    Build – Thin, quite strong, not Premiership ready
    Constitution – Erratic.
    Preferred foot – Right.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Very Low.

Marcus Neumayr
    Nationality: German
    Height est 5’8 position played: RW(n) CM & LW

A young German talent with a wicked right foot and a very good reading of the game. I like the way this kid plays the game, he isn’t the most talented, he isn’t the fastest but behind Rossi I’d say he is the most intelligent player now left in the reserves. He looks to me like someone who will make it in the EPL. I don’t know for which team, but certainly a player I can see in the league 5yrs from now. Unlike some of the others who sadly will not make it as footballers (The success rate of reserves to pros is not very high) Neumayr is a very tidy player. Nice technique, knows what he wants to do in advance of getting the ball and will try whatever comes to mind on impulse. He would be one to watch imo. Very hard to tell if he will make it at United. Like I said before you need a niche to make it here and although he is smart he will need to improve his passing to fully exploit what he sees 2seconds ahead of most players. He also needs to build a lot more stamina before he gets anywhere near our 1st squad. I have high hopes for this kid and will follow his career whether he makes it here or not.

Mid-Season

I remember billy saying something to a summary I made of Neumayr after a recent game when he was MoM. Slowly and steadily Neumayr is rising to the top. At the start of the season he was in the shadow of Martin. Now he is earning his own plaudits, getting his own MoM status and becoming a much more rounded and complete player then Martin is right now. Neumayr has grown and filled out a bit in the last few months and importantly his stamina has improved which means he doesn’t get subbed out of games anymore. What I said above still stands just more now then ever. His rate of development is impressive and if anything he’s what coach aspires to create when he first starts working with a player – a steady developer who gets better at a decent pass but most importantly doesn’t regress or suffer huge dips in form. Martin must be a frustrating player for a coach, just when you think he’s turned a corner you see a wild dip, with Neumayr you don’t get any huge leaps forward, but you also don’t get any huge leaps backward either. Now when he has a bad game it’s because of the mental side of his game or simply coming up against a superior or bigger athlete as opposed to him just not being with the pace of a game or erratic with his play.

Give this kid time and he’s going to be a gem.

EOSR

Neumayr hasn’t grown an inch and that’s a little bit of concern by now. He hasn’t filled out and is still meek as a player. He is prone to being pushed, bullied and disrupted from his game because of his size. He is not a pacey player (very much in the Beckham-esque pass and crosser type of mould) and he does not beat his man on the dribble so strength and size are incredibly important. I wouldn’t put him anywhere near the 1st squad right now. Not even in a severe injury crisis. He has the talent, but he’d get absolutely mauled in the PL and pushed, bullied and exhausted out of games. His passing has improved as has his leadership since being given the captain’s armband. Alas, as a wide man he needs pace, strength or one from the two, he has neither where Beckham always had strength. It’s a problem. One that will increase as he ages because he’s not a kid anymore and by now you’d expect some developments in build. He looks no different from last season physically.

Acceleration – Slow
    Pace - Slow
    Build – Very weak, not Premiership ready
    Constitution – Determined, consistent.
    Preferred foot – Right, not so good on his left.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Below average.(his physical limitations are a worry)

Jamie Mullan
    Height est 5’6 position played: LW(n)

I’m going to start by saying I don’t think Mullan is going to make it at United. His style is very much based on ‘jinking runs’ weaving in and out and then whipping in crosses, but unlike say Lee Martin, Mullan isn’t superfluous in taking on his man. This is a real problem when you’re whole game is based around ‘jinking’ and trickery. Lee Martin is a tough act to follow as a winger. He is a MUQ winger and if he ever makes his game consistent he’s going to make it here. If this is who Mullan is up against to make it here I have to say he hasn’t a chance. I don’t mean that in a nasty way either. Martin’s dribbling is that good and his movement and pace are all levels above Mullan’s. Even at the same age Martin was a mile ahead so it has nothing to do with experience.

The problem(s) Mullan has is:

a) He often runs himself into corner flags or away from where he wants to go.
    b) He has that Richardson-like over-touch and miss-control of the ball.
    c) He cannot beat 2,3 4 men. He struggles with one-on-ones against decent RM’s or RB’s

To beat a dead horse… Martin is the antithesis of this. I’ve said in Martin’s reviews he could ‘do’ both Heinze and G.N I think he’d run rings around both at the same time, if they wanted it. Just like Ronaldo would. I wouldn’t fancy Mullan to beat G.N or Heinze once in 1000 tries let alone together. This is something I struggle to get past when his whole game is based around running at the FB and turning him in and out. It looks great when it comes off, but frequently it does not.
    With Martin, he doesn’t get stopped, he just ********s up his cross or shot, just like Ronaldo. His ability to beat men seems to be limitless. Against that, Mullan is just not going to match up.

Mullan’s shooting is average as is his crossing, so that also presents him with a problem. A perfect example of a ‘jinking’ winger is Aaron Lennon of Spurs. Mullan just looks like he’ll never get to that level. I’d love for him to prove me wrong, but he doesn’t fill me with any hope he can make it at United. If Lee Martin wasn’t fresh in the memory I’d probably have a chance to view Mullan solely as his own man with no bias, but when you see a player like Martin in action it does heavily influence you and if his competition is to get a favourable review he has to have his own niche at the very least.

Sorry

Acceleration – Very quick
    Pace – Above average
    Constitution – Determined, will try his best all game.
    Preferred foot – Left.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Low.

Attackers

Giuseppe Rossi
    Nationality: American born but intends to play for Italy
    Height est 5’8 position played: Support Striker, OM

What I wrote last season:

Giuseppe Rossi: This kid is already famous, so many are waiting for his 1st team debut and rightly so. He's the star of the team and his technique stands out a mile and not just for the reserves. In terms of technique he's ahead of a lot of the 1st team bench and is making serious in-roads on quite a few who have been in our first team for a long time. He has superb close control and an excellent stride pattern(he keeps rhythm with the ball effortlessly) his passing and vision also stand out ( he and Blake were forming an excellent partnership until Blake was seriously injured) He sets up Bellion in every game with at least 3chances.. if he does anything like that in the first team Ruud will be a very happy man. Great on either foot with a large range of ground passes. He has a lot of intelligence, knows when to shoot or pass and he also knows where to place his shots. Very dangerous from a stand-still also due to his low centre of gravity and rapid acceleration.

Often when you see players in the reserves who are ready for the step up they are held back because they haven't physically developed. This is the case for Rossi now. There isn't much else he can show or do for the reserves. He has quality stamped across his forehead and his next test has to be against men in the EPL or cup competitions and also to see if he is able to cope with capacity stadiums and the pressures the 1st team are under.

In terms of foot-balling education he's graduated with first class honours. I have no doubt if he was built like Rooney or Ronaldo he'd have gotten chances by now. His problem is that he is small and frail. He is being held back because of this and rightly so. If he is unleashed too early he could end up getting a serious injury. He needs to bulk up and age a little physically. I don't think he'll get his chance this season. There is no rush with this one imo he's one you can look at and think not only will he step up to the 1st squad, he has the potential to be a star to. His problem is going to be Wayne Rooney however. They play the same position(s) and Wayne isn't much older. It'd be a joy to see them in the same team someday but I can't see that happening. Rossi may well be Rooney's understudy some time soon, but until he physically develops or the staff are sure he wont get any bigger I don't think we'll see much of anything of him in the 1st squad. Imo you don't rush a talent like this one and have him injured when it could have been avoided. He's going to have to bide his time and pray he grows over the Summer.

He’s even better. I’m tempted to leave it at that… well.. hmm…what to say about Rossi… err.. ok,

- he is beyond this level now
    - he hasn’t grown an inch. It pretty much looks like he’s stopped growing and so we have a pocket rocket on our hands.
    - He scores and assists in almost every game he plays at this level
    - He will stagnate if he stays in the reserves much longer
    - He needs to be on our 1st team bench
    - He needs to be getting 10 -20minutes at the end of league matches and such now
    - At reserve level there is no better player than him in England.
    - He looks bored at reserve level. He is dominating play and games at a canter
    - The praise could go on all day so I’ll stop now.
    I don’t know what else to say about him. *shrugs

Mid-Season

Rossi is now in limbo. I’d hope he’s about to be promoted to the 1st team ‘the precious’ isn’t going to get loaned out, he’s too good for that (unfortunately for him) and now Saha is fit he’s going to see any potential playing time reduced even further. Where should Rossi go from here? I’m at a loss. He has no business being a reserve anymore.

EOSR

If you’ve followed the reserve thread this season or the PbP threads or my comments on Rossi in terms of attitude and performance you’ll know I haven’t been as glowing in my praise of him this season as I was last term. He hasn’t been as spectacular this year as last, but that’s akin to saying Lampard has had a sub-par season compared to last despite still scoring many goals from midfield. Basically, with Rossi my scrutiny is harsh, extremely harsh. I’m overly critical of him on a good day (because I am used to and expect excellent every time) and of course a good day for Rossi is a goal and an assist instead of a double or a hat-trick and two assists.

Realistically and all things considered, Rossi has yet again had a superb season. By default he is POTS even the faultless Evans can not take that award away from him and he’s also scored at least 3 GOTS contenders. He has 30goals in 28games, around 20 assists, is top scorer across both leagues and has shone on any stage given to him be it 1st team or reserve. For any other player that is phenomenal, but for Rossi, compared to last term, he is not performing to his best. He’s missed some sitters this term, ones he would not have missed last term and I think it’s been more to do with concentration and focus than anything. I’ve worried about him stagnating and have said on a number of occasions he looks subdued and disenchanted, the fire in his play had gone and he wasn’t celebrating his goals anymore. He looked like someone who was wondering why he was wasting his life in the reserves for a time and I think it showed in his game. If you’d never seen Rossi before and judged him off this season alone you’d be wowed, but if you were watching and comparing him to the player he was last year you’d say he’s actually poorer as a player.

I am happy to announce that Rossi has started to show a zest to his game of late and has been celebrating his goals again. He’s also found a new attribute – he is now tracking back like a beast and tackling and he’s FINALLY gotten nasty!!! (^___^) Last year he was getting the **** kicked out of him and really wasn’t built to handle the rough stuff, his physique allayed to his highly technical game meant he was getting knocked flying to the floor a number of times a game, really, it was how CB’s dealt with him. But now? Now he’s putting in the kind of tackles Rooney would be proud of and at times showing the maliciousness in the tackle Keane or Scholes would basically, Rossi has manned up and is putting his boot in on his oppressors. He has layed out two 6’3 CB’s in two games I saw him in, towards the end of the season, that needed the game stopped while they got treatment. He also felled Ugo Ehiougo, which was impressive. Normally I wouldn’t praise a player for this, but Rossi really needed to make his mark and let it be known he can’t be bullied and kicked off the park and he’s done it! And ‘coincidentally’ CB’s are thinking twice now about getting stuck in. I’ve never mentioned Rossi needing bite as a weakness before and have always said he just needs to bulk up and basically take the knocks dished out. I never even considered that Rossi could fight back to be perfectly honest. His game is ALL about class, in an ideal world he would not get stuck in, it’s not his way, but to see him suddenly standing up to these players is just a delight to watch.

Rossi is ready for the premiership now without question. He wont be getting kicked from pillar to post in games, if you kick him, he’ll do you…just like Scholes or Keano would, lol, it’s funny to say it of a little guy like Rossi, but if the last month and a half is anything to go by he really does mean business in this department. I should also mention he is now bulkier than he was last term and is sporting a stubbly beard on most occasions (lol)

I fully expect to see Rossi as our 4th striker next term, he’s ready for it now. His attitude is right, his build is now ready and he has a don’t ******** with me attitude towards CB’s who want to try it on. I didn’t think he had it in him (perhaps Gabby or Nemanja had a word ) but you certainly live and learn.

Acceleration – Very fast over first 10yards
    Pace – Deceptively quick
    Build – Premiership ready
    Constitution – Goal output remains consistent even when off form – has shown he can pick himself up from slumps.
    Preferred foot – Left, has no problems with his right.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Highest.

Frazier Campbell

Height est 5’9 position played: Striker

Another of the ‘next of the next stars’ along with Darron Gibson. Campbell is the star of the u-18’s side and is itching to make the grade at reserve level. Unfortunately for him, Rossi and Blake block his chance and unless either get injured he’ll only see time fleetingly. Frazier Campbell is an English CF in every manner of the word. He’s a skinny little guy but he has the heart and determination of a lion to score his goal. He’s that kind of striker who will run into goalposts or crossbars to get on the end of a cross that is in his vicinity. The type that will go up against a Roy Keane knowing he doesn’t stand a chance and still try. The way he plays is extremely aggressive. He’s wildly raw in his talent. He tackles, he tracks back and he is absolutely desperate to score goals. Fortunately for him he is also extremely talented to go with it. He is incredibly imaginative in what he will try when a situation looks lost…it’s like a polar opposite of a player like Rossi who always looks composed and considered – Campbell at times looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing but there is always a method to his madness. He’s United through and through and that is probably why he tries overly hard…I dunno what it is but his drive is incredible.. like a Rooney or Smith he will be a fan favourite for his style of play…heaven help CB’s if this kid is destined to be physically built. Right now he is a slip of a boy so it all looks ‘cute’ but give him a few kilo’s of muscle and growth through age and he will be a nightmare to play against. He is extremely fast, I’m not sure yet but he looks on par with Blake even and he has excellent stamina. You have to bear in mind he is only 17 and wont be anywhere near the 1st team for another 4yrs or so but if he continues at the rate he is progressing he will be a star of the premiership in the next 8yrs. It’s hard to paint a picture of this kid and not make him sound like Wolverine or something. He is aggressive yes, and he tries overly hard like Smith and Rooney but one massive advantage he has over either is that he is a controlled aggressive. He doesn’t often get booked, he doesn’t argue with referees and he knows when to calm himself down. He’s a player I like to watch. Right now he is no spoilt multi millionaire… I hope he doesn’t turn into a prima-donna once he is raking in the cash and is a star.

EOSR

Frazier Campbell is on 9goals in 13 reserve games IIRC and has been a revelation since making the jump up to reserve football. He is a tireless worker (think Rooney) and his energy and pace just paves a way for him that most teams cannot cope with. His pace is a major asset, but unlike Blake it is not what Campbell depends upon to score goals. He has put away many different types of goals: headers, volleys, tap-ins, rounding the keeper, lobs – the only thing I haven’t seen him do is a long ranger – like I said earlier in the season when reviewing him, he’s that player who does things on impulse and it comes off for him regularly. He’s not a dribbler, you won’t see him cut through a swathe of players with a jinking run for example, but he is very good at one-on-ones with a single defender, a keeper or a DM, he’ll feint one way and go the other and then he’s doing something else immediately (say a pass, a one-two etc.) His partnership with Rossi is even better than the one Rossi established with Blake. Because Campbell has more to his game and can be expected to take a defence as a puzzle to work out rather than to run past or into (as Blake would) and he’ll always do the right thing. He’s a true united striker in this sense. If another player is in a better position to score Campbell will pass it to them unselfishly, if he’s able to decoy 3men he’ll purposely run them away from goal to create space for others. These are things Blake doesn’t even consider as he’s a ‘truer’ striker who will always take the shots himself. As predicted, Campbell has usurped Blake in the pecking order, in my opinion. SAF is always cooing over him and it’s quite obvious he’s a ‘precious’ like Rossi.

I’m not sure if he’s going to get fast-tracked next term and be loaned out or if he’ll be tried in the reserves without Rossi. I think either way he’ll benefit. Rossi is so instrumental to the reserves and his partners that you can never be sure how they will cope without him. He is the reserves Wayne Rooney – an ever-present and catalyst and without a doubt Campbell has benefited from having such a dangerous partner. To assess Campbell solely on his own merits I’ll have to see what he looks like without so many goals being gift wrapped for him by Rossi either from the space he has made or the pass supplied or the men he’s dragged away from Campbell. This is not to say Campbell has not been sublime in his own right – he has 4 GOTS contenders of his own that are the reward for his individual talent, but the game is very different when you don’t have a Rooney/Rossi next to you and have to rely on regular convention or solely on your own industry to make chances.

I think Blake’s path was easier to call then Campbell’s as Blake is a more linear player. If you don’t supply Blake he is half the player (which is being evidenced in Belgium on his loan) Campbell however certainly displays the ability to generate his own fire and chances, but… I want to see him do it without Rossi in the side.

Physically Campbell is still the rake thin lad he was at the start of the season. He still has an abnormal amount of strength that belies his appearance (he is incredibly strong) and he still plays primarily off instinct. These instinctual players (Evans, Campbell and Gibson) have some huge advantages over direct rivals for their positions or spots with United, and that is again the case between Blake and Campbell. Campbell’s potential is higher than Blake’s, Blake’s game will be non-existent when he loses his pace or if he ever get an injury that affects his pace. Campbell would be just as prolific and dangerous without the pace he has, he’s not reliant on any one attribute and that is exciting. He fits into many schematics and if he grows, he could easily play the loan target-man in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 which makes him even more valuable to United in the future. Campbell is also that all-round player who if he left here I could envisage him playing in any system in the land from Chelsea’s through to Arsenal’s through Liverpool’s, Tottenham’s etc, etc. In this respect, he is without question the most flexible player in the entire reserve set-up. You have to build around Rossi, you have to make exceptions for D.Jones (somewhat) but Campbell? You can slot him into any system and he’d be good to go. It’s going to be a major trump card for him in the future. If he grows and hits around 6foot he’s going to be a player who always has a use. He’s most definitely going to be a PL level striker at the very least.

He excites me and although I’m not going to make as bold a claim for him as I did for Rossi (about Rossi becoming a world star) I do think Campbell is going to be one of those who lights up the league in years to come.

Acceleration – Very fast. Fastest in the reserves along with Blake. Simpson and Brandy
    Pace - Very fast. Fastest in the reserves along with Blake. Simpson and Brandy
    Build – Thin, extremely strong for his size, not Premiership ready
    Constitution – Wayne Rooney incarnate.
    Preferred foot – Right, very much two footed – shots on either foot on instinct.
    Chance of making it here (imo) – Very High.

Loanees

I don’t think Paul McShane stands a chance of making it here. I think he’ll be sold. He is not ever going to usurp Pique and he is nowhere near Evans’ level.

Lee Martin – please, Lee, sort out your shooting and crossing. ******** me!! there’s a place in the squad for you right now!!! (If Lee has sorted out his end product we wont be buying a winger) very curious as to whether he gets recalled this window or if he has not sorted out his end-product enough to be here…..yet. He’s earning MoM awards at Antwerp and the fans over there love him (he’ll be a united and fan boy favourite here just like Ronaldo, if he makes the cut)

Danny Simpson I expect him to be fast-tracked next season, Holland is the rumour.

Chris Eagles If Lee hasn’t sorted out his crossing and Watford don’t get promoted, Eagles may find himself back here. He’s far beyond a player like Kieran Richardson. Eagles has class to his game. It was always the end product that was erratic.

Sylvan Blake I really think he’s lost out to Campbell. I think he’ll be on loan next season and if he can’t make use of that with a largish goal return I think that’s it for him as far as United are concerned. It’s a shame because he is a brilliant finisher of chances and was heavily praised for a reason, but with the way the academy is right now. You snooze you lose to a younger prospect.

Adam Eckersly I expect him to be on loan next season. NEC are said to be interested.

Ben Foster Loan will continue.

David Jones Will come back to OT and begin his path to becoming a legend. ^__^

Jonathon Spector Going to be crunch time for him next season. He and Bardsley are most likely to compete for the same position at RB. No idea who will ‘win’ that battle, they are both good prospects and both deserve the chance to stake a claim before Simpson arrives on the scene in a few years time. Forseeably, when Gaz retires one of these two will be the #1 RB and will then be usurped and the understudy to Simpson, but in the meantime one of them has to step up and make that solid claim to actually be G.N’s full-time cover.

Phil Bardsley Same boat as Spector. I expect they’ll both be on loan at the start of next season however.

Dong Fangzhou needs to go somewhere else to continue his loan. I hope a Dutch top flight club comes in for him.

All other loanees are going to be sold. They don’t have a future here, imo.

Awards

Player of the Season (POTS) All inclusive

1. Giuseppe Rossi
    2. Danny Simpson
    3. Jonathon Evans
    4. Frazier Campbell
    5. Gerard Pique

Player of the Half - Season: (After majority of first team were loaned out)

1. Giuseppe Rossi (banned)
    2. Jonathon Evans (1)
    3. Frazier Campbell (2)
    4. Darron Gibson (3)

Expected to play a part with 1st squad next season (imo)

David Jones
    Giuseppe Rossi
    Gerard Pique
    Lee Martin/Chris Eagles (one from)
    Bardsley/Spector (at some point in the season)

Frighteningly talented

Pique
    Evans
    Simpson

Gibson
    D.Jones
    Martin
    Rossi
    Campbell

Fergie’s Fledglings v 2.0? Not yet… but if they get the chances I expect this bunch of 8 to become special players here, at Manchester United!!

That’s it for my end of season review. Player’s like Ryan Shawcross, Fabien Brandy etc are going to get their due next term and have not played nearly enough games to be included in this review. I look forward to a reserve side without Rossi in it next season. He is far, far too influential at this level and his contribution to the team must be at least an 80% influence on our goal return, either by him scoring or assisting or even indirect movement that makes space for others. We aren’t any sort of one-man team, but Rossi’s influence at this level is identical to Rooney’s on the first team. We will have to play without him next season and that really will show what everyone else is made of when they have no talisman to pull a rabbit out of the hat on most occasions.

It’s been a pleasure watching these kids and our achievements this season and the football we play fills me with pride.

Pretty good read if you are a United fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks for posting that, good read.

• Advertisement

ferguson wants to send him out to get experience so that when he comes back he will hopefully be good enough to replace van der sar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Thanks PHB, some interesting stuff in there. I hope to see Rossi and Pique either loaned to a decent club next season of feature regularly in the first team. The only thing for Pique is that we should have a solid back 4 next year so the loan could suit him better.

Glad to see Howard get a loan move, I'd love to see him recapturing some of his form from his debut season with United. Hope he's first choice at Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

He's probably just loaning out Howard so somebody will buy him, similar to why he used to play Forlan the season before he was sold

Some Obi Mikel related news:

FIFAs Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) have ordered FC Lyns two other nigerian players Ogubke and Bala back to Norway immediately to complete their contract. They had refused to return to FC Lyn on the same grounds as Obi Mikel claimed that he has no valid contract with the norwegian club. This decision will strengthen FC Lyns and Manchester Uniteds claim that Obi Mikel have signed a valid contract with the United.

However FIFA cannot order Mikel to United before the norwegian courts throw out his appeal in the civil case he filed last november.

hopefully we will get him just so we can say we beat chelsea to his signature but i cant see him staying around too long

We have already beaten Chelsea for his signature.
    I want him to stick around, he is one of the hottest prospects in the world, we have him for 5 years, let's use him, sell him on with two years left, and make a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Somebody has probably already mentioned this already but I dont think United will be in the market for a striker even if (when) Van Nist goes.
    Rossi will be given his chance as possibly may another from the reserves.
    The midfield will be bolstered hopefully but else where I think we have a decent squad with some of the younger players coming through.
    I think when the last big batch of youngsters came through (scholes, becks, nevilles) came through Fergie put a lot of faith in them and gave them their chance.
    It wont look too good to Rossi if Fergie goes out and buys another striker while he himself stays in the reserves. I think he will be given a season to see how good he his in the first team. Only fair if you ask me.
    They are two world class midfielders short of a team that can challange for honours next season.

By the way, great set of posts about the reserves...PHB

Not replacing Ruud is a bad idea if you ask me (assuming he goes).
    Anybody remember last season, Ruud out for the season, we had one of our lowest goal tallys in Prem history? No coincidence....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Not replacing Ruud is a bad idea if you ask me (assuming he goes).
    Anybody remember last season, Ruud out for the season, we had one of our lowest goal tallys in Prem history? No coincidence....

I wouldn't be surprise if Ruud is not replaced either. Rossi appears to be an exceptional talent so Fergie may take a gamble and give him his chance. TBH even if Ruud leaves sorting out the midfield should still be first priority,

I think it's time for a bit of faith in the youth team.

If RUud does leave, the money should be put in midfield.

We have Rooney and Saha, who together can get the same amount of goals as Rooney and Ruud this season.
    This is to do with Rooney improving every year, and Saha getting back to his old strengths.

We're gona miss Ruud, don't get me wrong, but if he moves, we have to move on.
    I don't want him replaced.

I want
    Rossi - Blakes - Campbell
    all given their shot in the premiership.
    One of them will make it

Then we have Rooney - Saha - Ole - Rossi
    and of course, that striker we bought from Leeds, Smith.
    Who despite being a midfielder of late, could still make it, although I doubt it.

We absolutely must focus on midfield.
    If we buy a new striker and one midfielder we will not win the premiership I think, unless they are unreal, which they won't be cause it will cost to much for both.

If we buy 2 midfielders, we have a chance with the squad we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

diarra deal is looking good apparantly though ill believe it when i see it.
    apart from that,cant say who else will they go for?

torres is a strong possibility, but dont think ruud would go there and united would not be able to get him without some sort of a swap involving ruud.

i still hope for riquelme but doubt it will happen, can they afford him if diarra is number one choice?doubt it

ideally all 3 players would be signed, but well, lets just say,its not going to happen!!

diarra + some squad midfielder is my bet anyway.

Ruud for Sheva? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ruud for Sheva?
    I hope not.
    Rossi needs his chance and United need a decent midfielder or three.

ruud for gattuso or seedorf :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4767919.stm
    Lyon could be prepared to do a deal with Manchester United for midfielder Mahamadou Diarra - in part exchange for striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The French side are believed to want £25m for the 24-year-old from Mali but could accept a cash-plus-player deal.

"It is sure Lyon are interested in Van Nistelrooy," club official Bernard Lacombe told the Daily Star.

"It'll be a complicated financial deal unless we can exchange one of our players, like Diarra."

Diarra is reportedly a United target with manager Sir Alex Ferguson seeing the midfielder as a long-term replacement for Roy Keane, who left the club by mutual consent last November.

Meanwhile, speculation continues that Van Nistelrooy's career at Old Trafford may be over after he was left out for the final Premiership match of the season against Charlton and then banned from appearing in Keane's testimonial against Celtic last week.

i heard about this and could be a very good deal if ruud doesnt want to stay at united any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

found this on another site, here is a list of all the players linked to united so far this year. so far, diarra is the only realistic target. there are a few players in that i really hope we dont want to sign.

David Suazo
    Fernando Torres
    Mohhammed Diarra
    Nigel Reo-Coker
    Michael Carrick
    Aaron Lennon
    George Boateng
    Andreiy Shevchenko
    Ronaldo
    Pascal Chimbonda
    Eidur Gudjohnsen
    Obafemi Martins
    Lukasz Fabianski
    Juan Roman Riquelme
    Michael Ballack
    Kevin Nolan
    Aldo Duscher
    Mikel Arteta
    Jean Makoun
    steven reid
    frank ribery
    Gennaro Gattuso

My ideal first team squad for next year would be the following. if chelsea get ballack and shevchenko, united would need at least diarra, riquelme and torres to even compete with them. dont think we can realistically aim for that though.

Van Der Sar

Neville
    vidic
    rio
    heinze

diarra

ronaldo
    scholes
    riquelme

rooney
    torres

alternative 11 from the following

foster
    pique
    brown
    o shea
    evra
    richardson
    scholes
    giggs
    park
    saha
    rossi
    smith
    ole
    gibson
    jones
    ruud could make 8-10 million, sell miller, fletcher,silvestre and pawn off mikel to chelsea for a few million, that might cover one player such as torres.
    if we dont spend, the gap will widen again with chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

^^ Gennaro Gattuso was linked with them too and he has in the past suggested he could be on his way to england as his wife is scottish or something

if we dont spend, the gap will widen again with chelsea

We are spending, the question is of spending right!

riquelme, needing all the time and space in the world, needing another midfield to do his tackling, please please tell me how he would fit into a united 4-4-2?

---

Does anyone think Ruud will want to play for Lyon? Anybody?

• Advertisement
Advertisement