Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

evans deal almost ucomfirmed -
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6217433.stm

id say sunderland will become the new antwerp and i feel that would be good for united, they are a bigger club and crrently playing at a higher level than antwerp. the next year is very big for alot of these players like martin, evans, rossi, pique, bardsley, if they are good enough, then they will be kept in the squad. I have big hope for evans, rossi and pique and also for darran gibson.

so how do you rate the united players so far this season?

Vds - 9 (pretty much faultless, its taken some great strikes to beat him)
    Neville - 7 (solid, getting forward alot)
    Rio - 8 (couple of lapses, but generally recognised as being his best season in 3-4 years)
    Vidic - 9 (rock solid and a legend at united already)
    Evra - 9 (he is the player that has impressed me most, total transformation and great going forward)
    Ronaldo - 9 (player of the season so far, has been brialliant in alot of games)
    Carrick - 8 (solid if un spectacular, still settling in, would like a bit more "fire" in him)
    Scholes - 9 (best season in a good few years)
    Giggs - 8 (started great, but has had a few poor games, not bad though)
    Saha - 8 (12 goals is great for him, but he should have more. a very important player
    Rooney - 7 (7 is perhaps unfair as he has been good, excellent at times, but he can do so much better)
    Ole - 8 (7 goals is a great return and i think he can hit another 7, if he avoids injury, a vital player)
    Park - 6 (we aint seen much of him yet)
    Heinze - 7 (signs of him coming back to his best over last few weeks)
    Silvestre - 6 (really has not got much of a chance, thank god!)
    Browne - 7 (i like browne, think he is a good squad player, we need him as back up)
    Shea - 6 (cant beleive he has nearly played n every game)
    flether - 7 (i think he has improved alot this season)
    richardson - 2 (just sell him please, awful this season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

It must be said really that the entire first team (probably with the exception of Rooney and Carrick, who still aren't playing badly) are playing pretty close to their best. There's no player you can look at, aside from the obvious O'Sheas and Richardsons who don't count anyway, and single out for abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Vds -8 (great but not much to do)
    Neville - 8.5 (fantastic, really adds something to Uniteds attack)
    Rio - 8 (playing well, getting back to old self)
    Vidic - 9 (New stam I hope :))
    Evra - 7.5 (done well, not that amazing, just proving he is a decent player, so compared to last year :))
    Ronaldo - 10 (fantastic)
    Carrick - 7 (solid, stilll a lot more to come)
    Scholes - 10 (fantastic)
    Giggs - 7.5 (doing well in some games)
    Saha - 9 (doing very well)
    Rooney - 8 (8 goals and 5 assists speaks for itself, despite playing poorly)
    Ole - 8 (great :))
    Park - 7 (when he has played, he has been great, has that great final ball that we miss sometimes)
    Heinze - 7 (just only coming back now)
    Silvestre - 5 (played one match, one mistake, the usual :P)
    Browne - 6 (played a bit, has done well)
    Shea - 7 (been solid in every game he has been in)
    flether - 7.5 (done well, getting quite a few key passes under his belt)
    richardson - 5 (never gona make it at United)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I keep missing the premiership on RTE, how are the lads dealing with the fact that Ronaldo is clearly playing out of his skin and is the best player on the pitch by a distance (except for Scholes of course)

EDIT: He's just set up another goal..... I'll def be watching it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Vds - 8 (I agree not too much to do but solid enough)
    Neville - 8.5 (Again I agree, great width goin forward and hasnt put a foot wrong at the back)
    Rio - 8.5 (Solid, less mistakes, taking the lead at the back)
    Vidic - 9 (What a signing - rather him then Terry )
    Evra - 8.5 (Brilliant tackler, loves going forward)
    Ronaldo - 9.5 (Player of the year - at the moment. He WILL be world class)
    Carrick - 6.5 (One MOM performance, needs to find his feet at OT still - Im hopeful)
    Scholes - 9.5 (Almost back to himself, class)
    Giggs - 8 (He's a consistent player, still a legend in my book)
    Saha - 8 (more to come from one of the best strikers in the prem i feel)
    Rooney - 8 (He's been well below his own standards, but he's so fúcking good I nearly gave him an 8.5)
    Ole - 9 (What a record from the baby face )
    Park - 7 (Not much to go on)
    Heinze - 7 (Sloppy enough from his comeback)
    Silvestre - 5 (mistake mistake mistakes...just too costly to keep really!)
    Browne - 7.5 (natural defender, who has been unlucky with arrival of Vidic)
    Shea - 7.5 (playing very well I gotta say, doin the job when needed)
    flether - 7.5 (I agree, some decent passes, gives 110%. turning into a bit of a work horse. more influencial than Carrick this year)
    richardson - 5.5 (fast, tidy...btu very very ordinary. Not a Man Utd player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

BUMP....

Allegedly bid 5 Mill for Bale.....do we really need another laft back? Will Heinze eventually replace the Neviller at RB?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Rumour has it that Heinze might be going the other way in any deal involving hargreaves.
    Could this be a nod to that possibly taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Owen Hargreaves to Man U. If Bayern's asking price is too much Utd. will take Mascherano on loan until the end of the season with the option for a permanent transfer in the summer. David Gill is in Madrid negotiating the summer transfer to United of Fernando Torres

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mascherano cannot move to Utd until they get permission from FIFA because he has already played for two clubs within the period from July 06 to June 07, and apparently is prohibited from playing for another until July. Thats not to say that it definitely won't happen, but why in the hell would we want him?

grahamo wrote:
    Utd. will take Mascherano on loan until the end of the season

dont think that is aloud, ya know the whole > 2 transfers in the space of 6 months or somethin. Read it before, and its posted somewhere here recently too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, although the club can apply to FIFA for a special disoensation, according to BBC...though I doubt they'd allow it happen seeing as the lcub is in the same league

I doubt the club would give special dispensation, but they might, considering it's a kinda silly part of the rules, due to different season scheduales.

Bale might come, but I'd imagine only if Heinze leaves. Heinze might leave, but he seems to be happy here, and I'd hate to see him go. He offers us something that Evra doesn't, which is needed sometimes. Any teams with height, Evra is weak against them currently.
    The Bale deal I heard mentioned was in relation to him being bought, then loaned back to them for about 18 months.

Torres is not coming, it'd just be nuts. We'd then have Rooney, Saha, Torres, Larrsson, Ole, Rossi, Dong, Smith.
    If that happened, it'd be just crazy, especially considering the midfield. That said, I wouldn't be unhappy about it :P

Hargreaves is still on the move, which is dodgy, cause I don't think he'll play much for us this season. I think however that Fergie has got to bring in another midfielder this season, like he really has to, an injury to Scholes, and we become a joke of a midfield, even with Fletcher and Carrick, neither of them have the ability to control a game, midfield is priority, and while Hargreaves might be bought, he is being bought for next year, and should come out of next years transfer budget, while we have to deal with this season first. Mascherano on loan would be nice, just to add some depth, and he'd probably do better cause the United style would suit him more, but I'd like to see someone like Senna brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

eh remember Larsson is only there until March. Nobody said Torres was coming in jan

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Nobody said Torres was coming in jan

gramaho did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote:
    gramaho did
    yeah, when he said:

"David Gill is in Madrid negotiating the summer transfer to United of Fernando Torres"

Tauren wrote:
    yeah, when he said:

"David Gill is in Madrid negotiating the summer transfer to United of Fernando Torres"

apols...anyway I hope he doesnt come he's over ratted in my opinon

ah fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

grahamo wrote:
    Owen Hargreaves to Man U. If Bayern's asking price is too much Utd. will take Mascherano on loan until the end of the season with the option for a permanent transfer in the summer. David Gill is in Madrid negotiating the summer transfer to United of Fernando Torres

Who's your source ( the irish sun ) for this or where did you hear the above? Sounds like more paper talk.

Torres is a better player then Rooney and id take him over rooney anyday. I expect Manu to sign Torres in the summer and get rid of Smith and maybe Saha who is rubbish i think and offers nothing to manu apart from pace up front, not a manutd player in my view. Rooney is playing rubbish at the moment and should have being droped weeks ago. The lad has got talent, but he needs a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think Mascherano would be a poor signing for United. I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just unsuited to the Premier League. He's too small and not combative enough to play a defensive midfield role. He'd probably suit the Italian game where the pace is slower and he's given much more time and space to pick out passes and crosses. If United do get Hargreaves (and he plays), along with Larsson, they'll have the quality strength in depth to win the title.

• Advertisement

Torres is a better player then Rooney and id take him over rooney anyday.
    Ludicrous statement. In their short careers, neither player has ever achieved anything.

Ludicrous statement. In their short careers, neither player has ever achieved anything.

this thread is full of them lately

A very reliable poster from another site has said that radio manchester are reporting Real Madrid have offered €40million for Ronaldo. They also say United won't even consider selling for less then €70million.

I hope he is not going anywhere - we may as well just hand the title to chelsea now if he leaves, he is the one keeping us going at the moment.

Tauren wrote:
    he is the one keeping us going at the moment.

thats a bit harsh on giggs, vidic and especially Scholes...but yeah Ronaldo like Scholes cannot be replaced even with that large sum of money

Trilla wrote:
    thats a bit harsh on giggs, vidic and especially Scholes...but yeah Ronaldo like Scholes cannot be replaced even with that large sum of money
    Giggs has been poor since his injury, nowhere near his play at the start of the season, Vidic has been great at the back (but he is unlikely to win us games really).

I see what you mean about scholes, but i really think Ronnie has been the top performer, by a long way. Most of the time he looks to be the only player offering a real attacking threat.

Its all about opinions and thats my opinion. I have watched the spanish football for years and Torres on his day is world class no doubt, you only have to ask the spanish or listen to Gerry Armstrong, Rob Palmer who commentate on the spanish football who all rate him highly. The spanish league is ahead of the english no matter what the english media say and always will be in my opinion. Torres is playing in a average Madrid team and has had the chance to go to Real Madrid but he has always turned them down because he has always supported Athletio and says he will never play for Real for that reason.

Wayne Rooney in my "opinion" is playing in a average Manu team at the moment. We may be top of the league and we have played some good ball at the start especially against Bolton at the reebok. I'm not saying rooney is not a good player, i think he needs a rest, but i think Torres is a better player. I think if Rooney Played in the team that wont the treble in 1999, we would be seeing a fantastic player even now. I dont rate todays team much, even tho i heard ferguson saying its as good if not better then the 1999 team, which is rubbish. Rooney goes out and argues with the refs, linesman and kicks out at everyone instead on puting his head and just playing football and trying to score.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Who is to say that Torres would work playing in England. Just look at how Reyes turned out for Arsenal. Great at the start, but then went flat after about a year or two.

Torres is a better player then Rooney and id take him over rooney anyday.

Eh..... and what are you basing that stupid statement on?
    I expect Manu to sign Torres in the summer and get rid of Smith and maybe Saha who is rubbish i think and offers nothing to manu apart from pace up front, not a manutd player in my view.
    Same as above. Saha started the season off brilliantly and offers a lot more to the team than Ruud did imo. He tracks back and works his ass off. Add to that he's a great finisher. Definitely a worthy Man U player.

Rooney is playing rubbish at the moment and should have being droped weeks ago. The lad has got talent, but he needs a break.
    Drop him! He may not be on the scoresheet but he contributes well. He set up a heap of chances recently and although he may have a odd bad game it's no reason to drop him. He's an immense talent and will only get better with time.

If I didn't know better I'd say you were a troll....

sprinkles wrote:
    Eh..... and what are you basing that stupid statement on?

Its my opinion which im entilted to air. I take it you dont agree and by the sounds of it your saying rooney is a better player then Torres :) which makes me laugh ( you wouldn't happen to be english would you? not that it makes any difference.
    sprinkles wrote:
    If I didn't know better I'd say you were a troll....

I'm not a troll, im a Manu fan through and through and have being all my life. I try to get over at four times a year. I express my views as i see them. Manutd are ment to be BIGGER then Real, Barca and AC Milan and i like most think we should be signing the best players there are.

I have played football for a well know club in dublin since the age of 10 and had trials etc, but was never good enough which i dont mind admiting, but i still my experiences playing football make qualified to judge and pass comments on players then people who have never played game and sit at home watching and passing comments.

Next of all your going to say, O'Shea, Fletcher and Richardson are manu players? There all rubbish and should be shipped in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

you wouldn't happen to be english would you? not that it makes any difference.

If it makes no difference then why did you even mention it?
    I'm not a troll, im a Manu fan through and through

The two are certainly not mutually exclusive.
    Manutd are ment to be BIGGER then Real, Barca and AC Milan and i like most think we should be signing the best players there are.

Now this is the line that sucked me in. What a load of absolute nonsense, how are they "meant" to be bigger than anyone? You have no god-given right to win things, and its this kind of attitude that fans of other clubs love to hear. It's a stereotypical United view, most likely because the younger generation of United fans began supporting the club during the success of the 1990's and its all they know.
    I have played football for a well know club in dublin since the age of 10 and had trials etc, but was never good enough which i dont mind admiting, but i still my experiences playing football make qualified to judge and pass comments on players then people who have never played game and sit at home watching and passing comments.

If I had a € for every time I've heard that line on here...
    Next of all your going to say, O'Shea, Fletcher and Richardson are manu players? There all rubbish and should be shipped in the summer.

Eh, they are Man Utd players. If you somehow seem to think you are actually better than the current group of players you have at the club you really do need to step back a bit and give the situation a bit of perspective. Any fan of any club can say Players X, Y and Z are below the standard of their club, but that doesn't make it so.

sprinkles wrote:
    Its my opinion which im entilted to air. I take it you dont agree and by the sounds of it your saying rooney is a better player then Torres :) which makes me laugh ( you wouldn't happen to be english would you? not that it makes any difference.
    :rolleyes:

Torres has never kicked a ball in the UEFA Cup, let alone Champions League. He did ok in the World Cup, but it didn't stop "The Nation with the Best League in the World" from flopping yet again. Torres has never won a trophy for club in his life. 65 goals in 146 games (the penalties he's scored as Athletico's main peno taker are in double figures boosting his goal tally) isn't all that impressive.

I'm not saying he hasn't got the potential to be a great player, but as it stands he's nothing but unproven hype. I can't help but be reminded of former Betis winger Joaquin. It was only a couple of years ago that people were making £30M bids for him. At Valencia now, he's a good player but no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think that most people will not have seen enough of Torres to say whether or not he is better than Rooney.....i will admit i havent seen him much but from what i have seen they are different players.

I see Torres as a goalscorer whereas Rooney's all round game is better (but again i haven't seen too much of Torres).

On a completely separate and very obvious note I'd just like to say Ronaldo should win player of the year (between him and Drogba). he's been outstanding for us as anyone can see and the experience i the WC did wonders for him (granted at the time i hated him!!!).

and hope to see a midfielder brought in to help us to the title (hopefully) and can't wait to see Henk play in the Villa game (got tickets for both of em :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The spanish league is ahead of the english no matter what the english media say and always will be in my opinion.

Its easy look good in the Spanish League. Just ask Diego Forlan, Patrick Kluivert, Fernando Morientes, Gio Van Bronckhorst etc.

Should be interesting to see who would win the player of the year between Ronaldo & Drogba considering neither of them go down a treat in England...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Manutd are ment to be BIGGER then Real, Barca and AC Milan
    How so? :confused:
    Archimedes wrote:
    Its easy look good in the Spanish League. Just ask Diego Forlan, Patrick Kluivert, Fernando Morientes, Gio Van Bronckhorst etc.
    If only more people knew...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kinaldo are you in Oz yet or do your sleeping patterns just happen to be as bizarre as mine? :D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Now this is the line that sucked me in. What a load of absolute nonsense, how are they "meant" to be bigger than anyone? You have no god-given right to win things, and its this kind of attitude that fans of other clubs love to hear. It's a stereotypical United view, most likely because the younger generation of United fans began supporting the club during the success of the 1990's and its all they know.

Eh what i ment is that all Manu supporters, ex players and current manager always make this statement. I never said "they" are the biggest club in the world. I said they are "ment to be the biggest club" in the world. ( Go back and read the thread again )

I'd put Barca, Real, AC Milan ahead of Manu if you asked me who where bigger. I think We are "one" of the biggest in the world, but not the biggest by a long distance. Even i admit that we haven't one enough European Cups and some might say we were lucky to win the last in 1999, but i thought that we deserved it as we played and beat some of the top teams then.

Permission to change the mood and topic here slightly? :)

Munich Might Sell Owen Hargreaves

Trilla wrote:

Somewhat tempered by the Mascherano to Liverpool stories..... DAMN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Trilla wrote:

It might be a good idea to "wait and see" with Hargreaves until the end of the season. He's cup tied for the CL and I'd like to see how that leg break heals before spending 17m on him.
    I dont want heinze to be part of the deal either. He might not be getting his game but he has a great attitiude and the type of player we need in the squad

FIFA have said Mascherano ain't moving, I'd love to see it challenged in a court of law, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have a leg to stand on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

If Heinze goes il cry!!!! he is world class when fully fit

On the note of Rooney its laughable,fair enough not at the top of his game but check out the statistics, he is only behind Drogba in the premiership( not solely on goals scored but assists also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Shouldn't a new thread be started? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

We are linked with a £5m bid for BENTLEY (gunners reject) in todays mirror, this is on the basis we dont get Hargreaves. What a load of BOLLOX.

Who comes up with such SH1TE:confused:

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Kinaldo are you in Oz yet or do your sleeping patterns just happen to be as bizarre as mine? :D
    The latter unfortunately... in fact that's one of the reasons I'm heading down under - their time zones fit in perfectly with my body clock :)

I said they are "ment to be the biggest club" in the world.
    and Newcastle are meant to be one of the top 10 clubs in the world... according to our chairman anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Bentley just signed a new contract with Blackburn last week didn't he? Anyway, no thanks!

I know a striker who's not only better than Torres, but proven! 15 goals in the Champions League and La Liga in 18 games. Who am I talking about? Ruud van Nistelrooy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fergie says he looking to bring in 2 players

1 is Hargreaves

whose the other ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ruud who?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement

Fergie says he looking to bring in 2 players

1 is Hargreaves

whose the other ?

When did Fergie say that? Gill said they would sign someone if they thought they would add to the team but traditionally most of the signings come in the summer and this year would be no different.

Advertisement