Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My ideal first team squad for next year would be the following. if chelsea get ballack and shevchenko, united would need at least diarra, riquelme and torres to even compete with them. dont think we can realistically aim for that though.

Van Der Sar

Neville
    vidic
    rio
    heinze

diarra

ronaldo
    scholes
    riquelme

rooney
    torres

alternative 11 from the following

ruud could make 8-10 million, sell miller, fletcher,silvestre and pawn off mikel to chelsea for a few million, that might cover one player such as torres.
    if we dont spend, the gap will widen again with chelsea
    i would fight tooth and nail to keep Mikel if i was Sir Alex
    as for the rest,i agree sell miller, fletcher and silvestre

as For riquelme he'll probly turn into another veron
    and i wouldnt think Ruud would go to France its Italy or Spain for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cant see ruud joining lyon to be honest. the only united player can see going there is silvestre, if we could get 4 or 5 million off the diarra deal for him, then that could go else where. we need to raise about 15-18 million from sales to buy someone like riquelme. we should have money to buy diarra anyway without needing to spend. ya, will add gatusso to the list above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I can see Diarra (or someone similar) making a move to United, another midfielder, less expensive as cover and then cheapish striker as cover for Rooney/Saha/Rossi - someone like Mido who we could get for 5mil or thereabouts.

I really think we'll need 2 midfielders in there and we def need 4 strikers. Ole is past it and will prob only figure in a few games, Rossi is a great emerging talent and should get his chance but if Saha or rooney gets injured can we really expect him to step up in the likes on the CL? Therefore I think we need another proven striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd still love to see some proven premiership talent.

My ideal summer signings, Reo-Coker and Mascherano, but i'll live with Reo-Coker and Diarra

I was about to say reo-coker would be a fantastic signing. His performance today was immence he covered every blade of grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

sprinkles wrote:
    I was about to say reo-coker would be a fantastic signing. His performance today was immence he covered every blade of grass.

i was just going to post on reo-coker...i said in another thread (may have been an england world cup one) that he has so much potential...he has an amazing engine, when everyone else was knackered during extra time he just lifted his team and kept them going.

He's a leader in the middle of the park, has a good touch, decent enough range of passing and would complement pretty much any other midfielder he plays alongside. At utd his game would improve and if he were to play, perhaps, with diarra as suggested, he may have more license to get forward and add more goals to his game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i have said before that reo-coker would be a good buy but i dont think he would be cheap £8-£15 million id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

If utd could pick up reo coker he would be a great signing if he could be picked up for less than 15mill, hottest midfield prospect (bar fabergas maybe) in the premiership.

I may be slated for this but if utd could get Barton from city for under 8mill I think he could be a great signing.

Why get diarra for 25mill when gattuso can probably be signed for a third of that money, I know diarra is young but look at the so called "great" players from the french league that have been flops in england drogba, cisse, essien etc bit of a gamble at that money.

that have been flops in england drogba, cisse, essien etc bit of a gamble at that money.

Yeh, but then you have Zidane and Ronaldinho to counter that.
    Every player is a gamble when moving leagues, France is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

I think Reo-Coker or Carrick would be perfect just the type of player Utd need , the last few seasons SAF has gone looking to do what Wenger has been doing and bringing in talented African/French players or big names with big prices from abroad.

Reo and Carrick are proven and are exactly what Utd are missing at the moment , Young energetic midfielders with a lot of potential.

We should look closer to home after all Keane was found just down the road
    and with Scholes back for the new season we should start to get semblance of a decent midfield again.

Just not another Veron :rolleyes: Please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, but then you have Zidane and Ronaldinho to counter that.
    Every player is a gamble when moving leagues, France is no different.
    Eh...ronaldinho? A gamble:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I was sceptical over Reo-Coker when I first heard his name linked with United but have been impressed by him over the course of the season. This culminated in yesterday's cup final. I'm just not sure West Ham would let him go easily. I reckon they would at least want to make back the cost of Dean Ashton which is £7.5 million AFAIK. I'm not sure they would even let him go for that. Someone like Richardson could be a make way in a deal perhaps (Although West Ham have a quality left sided player in Etherington already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

PHB wrote:
    If we buy 2 midfielders, we have a chance with the squad we have.

A slight chance, they need far more than just 2 midfielders they need serious strength in depth!

if the players Sir Alex is looking at are going to the world cup and if the play outstanding the price will rocket

maybe he should buy before world cup

Loco wrote:
    A slight chance, they need far more than just 2 midfielders they need serious strength in depth!
    Ah come on, it's not like the depth is that bad! I think 2 midfielders and the resolution of the Ruud situation or a new striker should be enough to challenge on all fronts next year!

I think we already have it.

Goalies are sorted

Defense is sorted,
    Neville, Brown, Ferdinand all playing very well, Vidic gaining his footing in the premiership, with Heinze back, Evra hopefully finding his feet, O'Shea able to provide cover, Pique and Spector coming through
    we have enough depth there.

Up front,
    We have Rooney and Saha, Rossi emerging as a top top top talent, Smith returning from injury, Ole returning from injury, Campbell and Blake still developing, and of course Ruud, or Ruud's replacement.

On the wings we have Park, Giggs, Ronaldo, and Richardson emerging

Central Midfield we are obviously week, but when we get 2 new midfielders, we will have those two, Scholes returning from injury, Fletcher will be sold, David Jones will get his chance, we'll have 3 good midfielders, and one emerging talent.

If we can get two central midfielders and replace/keep Ruud, we'll be in the best shape we've been since 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

theyve no protection against injuries or players in poor form

whats the buzz with rossi he hasnt shown me much to prove hes that good

o shea can cover every position on the field hes the new phil neville mr versatile but hes a jack of all trades hes not gonna provide the cutting edge you need in any position

giggs blows very hot and cold and im not impressed with richardson he makes far too many mistakes

scholes is coming back but before he had the injury he was not what he used to be so

they need some more cutting edge players for cover if they want to be consistent

Buzz with rossi is to do with the fact that he is VERY talented. Now the hope is that he'll show that at top level. I think he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Loco wrote:
    whats the buzz with rossi he hasnt shown me much to prove hes that good
    I'll refer you to the reviews that PHB posted:
    he’s also scored at least 3 GOTS contenders. He has 30goals in 28games, around 20 assists, is top scorer across both leagues
    He has the most prolific goal-scoring record in United's reserves in some years.

• Advertisement

Apparently Lyon are willing to let Diarra go for 12 million and Van Nistelrooy.
    They were originally saying 24 million, so 12 million for Ruud isn't bad at this stage.

edit: This is all paper talk again, no linky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Rossi has such talent and potential to be the next big thing at utd but he needs premiership games to see just how good he is! there's no doubt the boy can score! all thats left to see is can he do it regularly at the top!

could also be an idea to give him 20 mins in the CL against the worst team in the group to give him a taste! i hope we see more of him next year and that utd dont loan him out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jobonar wrote:
    could also be an idea to give him 20 mins in the CL against the worst team in the group to give him a taste! i hope we see more of him next year and that utd dont loan him out!!

I agree...let's just hope Man Utd are not the worse team in the group next season...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Also Alex saying that there is no replacement in England for Keane and he will have to look to Europe

cheesedude wrote:
    I agree...let's just hope Man Utd are not the worse team in the group next season...:o

Dont say things like that!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Why is fergie still looking at Diarra when he could get Kevin Nolan for peanuts?

After fergies last 2 purchases were a left back who seems to be in a perpetual state of panic with no idea of what a football is, let alone what to do with it, and a centre half whoes only discernable ability seems to be the ability to be slightly larger than most other players i don't have much faith that he'll get anyone vaguely usefull in, probably pay over the odds for some djemba-djemba clone who has a good world cup....

• Advertisement

Ruadan wrote:
    Why is fergie still looking at Diarra when he could get Kevin Nolan for peanuts?

After fergies last 2 purchases were a left back who seems to be in a perpetual state of panic with no idea of what a football is, let alone what to do with it, and a centre half whoes only discernable ability seems to be the ability to be slightly larger than most other players i don't have much faith that he'll get anyone vaguely usefull in, probably pay over the odds for some djemba-djemba clone who has a good world cup....
    Firstly, Kevin Nolan would not be cheap.

Secondly he's not good enough for Man U IMO

Thirdly Vidic (I assume it's him you're ripping it out of) is a quality centre half, this has been displayed in his performances in getting S&Monten to the world cup. He just needs time to settle and IMO played very well in most of the games I've seen him in. Dominates in the air.

Dives in too much though. He can learn to stop that soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

sprinkles wrote:

Thirdly Vidic (I assume it's him you're ripping it out of) is a quality centre half, this has been displayed in his performances in getting S&Monten to the world cup. He just needs time to settle and IMO played very well in most of the games I've seen him in. Dominates in the air.

but vidic is really really clumsy. he falls over a lot and makes stupid tackles. like silvestre but just not as bad

evad_lhorg wrote:
    but vidic is really really clumsy. he falls over a lot and makes stupid tackles. like silvestre but just not as bad
    Give him time, not everyone can adapt to a new league in a couple of months. Just look at Serbia's record in qualifying for the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

sprinkles wrote:

Nolan would be about a third of what is being quoted for Diarra.

And he is definitely good enough for United, on his own merit, but also definitely given the quality of their current central midfield.
    sprinkles wrote:
    From what I have seen of Vidic I wouldn't be overly confident if I were a Man United fan. I have seen him a few times and have yet to be impressed.

He gives away too many frees and gets needlessly booked. He does also look clumsy. It would be foolish to right him off after a couple of months but he has to step it up a lot if he were to be a success IMO.

• Advertisement

He does have to step up a lot, but he has got the quality to do it, watch him n the world cup.

I think Nolan is a good player, and I think he'd move up a level if he were at United, but I don't think he is good enough. I think Reo-Coker would be a much better option, a lot more potential.

---

Timms released again by the club today.
    Neuymeur also released.
    Disappointed about Neuymeur, thought he had a chance at making it, wouldn't be suprised if he did either.
    David told ManUtd.com: "I know the Club are probably going to bring in at least one new midfielder, but being at United has always meant that you're going to be up against very good players anyway.

"I'm dying to get a chance. It's been the season that I go out on loan that suddenly a lot of spaces open up in the midfield. I guess it just wasn't meant to be for me last season.

"In the previous season there was too many midfielders, there was a massive queue. This year the opportunities might have been there, but you just realise you can't do anything about it."

The 2005/06 season was a split education for Jones. Five months of graft in the Championship were followed by a more technical spell in De Eridivisie.

"That was the idea behind it," he said. "Jim Ryan came to me and pointed out that I'd experienced one type of football in the Championship - the physical approach without much actual football.

"That was a valuable experience to go through, but Jim thought in the second half of the season it would be good to get a decent football education."

After three fine goals in 24 Championship appearances, Jones quickly discovered his goalscoring touch in a more attacking role in Holland - scoring six times in 13 games.

Four of those goals came in David's first two NEC appearances, but he had become hugely popular with the Dutch fans before even kicking a ball.

He admitted: "It was nice that the fans were all behind me straight away, but that's the expectation you carry when you come from United. It was nice, but I still had to live up to those expectations.

"It was a great experience for me in Holland. There, everyone plays football so hopefully I'm a better all-round player as a result."

Jones is the future :)
    JoRoRoRo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2185635,00.html

MANCHESTER UNITED are close to agreeing a £6 million deal with Cruzeiro for Kerlon Moura Souza, the highly rated Brazilian midfield player who has been dubbed “the next Ronaldinho”. A United delegation flew to South America this week to meet officials from the club and are hopeful of concluding the transfer in the next few days.

United have also inquired about signing Edu Dracena, the 24-year-old Cruzeiro captain and central defender, who missed out only narrowly on a place in Brazil’s squad for the World Cup finals in Germany.

“We are always ready to listen to offers for Kerlon,” Zezé Perrella, the Cruzeiro vice-president, said. “We have had a lot of interest in him and we have been in close contact with an English team, but right now we are not there on the money.”

Kerlon, as he is more commonly known, is understood to have caught the eye of Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, while playing for Brazil in the South American Under-17 Championship in Venezuela last year.

The 18-year-old was named player of the tournament after finishing as its top scorer with eight goals, but it was an outrageous piece of skill — which was quickly nicknamed “the seal dribble” — that drew most attention and sparked a media frenzy.

Kerlon’s party piece involves him flicking the ball in the air and running with it as though it is attached to his forehead.“It’s just a skill I have, though it’s not meant to be a mark of disrespect to my opponents,” Kerlon said last year. “Opponents say they will snap me, but this doesn’t scare me, it just motivates me even more.”

Ferguson seems convinced about Kerlon’s talent, although given that he is ineligible for a work permit, the United manager may have no alternative but to loan the player out at first, with Celta Vigo, the Spanish club, believed to be one of several interested parties.

Kerlon, who was born in Ipatinga, can play as an attacking midfield player or a deep-lying forward. He has already drawn comparisons with Ronaldinho, the Barcelona and Brazil playmaker, and is a dead-ball expert who won the Campeonato Mineiro, Brazil’s State Championship, with Cruzeiro this season.

Interesting.

Ugh, not the player we need SAF. Anyway, I don't think it will happen!

I think Vidic will turn out to be a good signing! he's strong, gets stuck in and can dominate in the air! he is a good compliment to brown/ferdinand who are more footballers than hard men! Vidic still needs time to find his feet, get settled and learn a few lessons but give him another season and we will see the real him!

I like the sound of the Kerlon deal... from what i've heard of him he's an excellent prospect who can create and score goals! since he cant get a work permit it'll be a year or 2 before he actually gets to OT so by then he'll be a good addition to the squad! possible replacement for Scholes?!

i like vidic he still has a bit of adjusting to the premiership but he has the quality. he was part of the serbia back four that didnt concide in the group stages as far as i know.

the kerlon deal would be a good replacement for scholes in a few years. there is a video that was posted a couple of days ago and he looks very good:D

BFassassin wrote:
    i like vidic he still has a bit of adjusting to the premiership but he has the quality. he was part of the serbia back four that didnt concide in the group stages as far as i know.

the kerlon deal would be a good replacement for scholes in a few years. there is a video that was posted a couple of days ago and he looks very good:D

He was a rock for Serbia AFAIK during teh qualifiers. yeah Scholes is getting old and may not be the same player after the eye problem so would do no harm to have a player of Kerlon's potential on the books ready to come in!

SAF has gone South American mad this summer, already talk of him signing the 15 yr old twins so thy will join in 3 years time!

I think if we bought Diarra, got Mikel, and have Jones and Scholes, we'd be set up in midfield.
    So lets hope that happens, and Kerlon comes on to replace Scholes if he is good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Here's a clip of Kerlon Moura Souza, the young brazilian tipped to be talking to united. (Sky Sports described this to be his party trick)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/atv/player.html?catID=26&clipID=557

that was an almighty tackle:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

RotalicaV wrote:
    Here's a clip of Kerlon Moura Souza, the young brazilian tipped to be talking to united. (Sky Sports described this to be his party trick)

I only seen this video on boards the other day, cant remember which thread it was under

• Advertisement

RotalicaV wrote:

oh thats kerlon i saw him play before quality player i loved the headers

It won't hugely matter for next season though, unless he can get in under the special talent rule, which might happen :)
    When he is in a united shirt, i'll believe him bought, oh no wait, that rule doesn't apply anymore :)

If bannor is reading wonder if he's got any info :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Chelsea will probably buy him for £3m more than United bid, play him for three games and then leave him on the bench for the rest of the season... :rolleyes:

He looks a good player, but as long as he can contribute something to the team I don't really care about how much or how little he showboats.

Man United Alerted As Shakhtar Put Tymoshchuk On Market
    Wednesday May 24th 2006, 10:34 am
    Filed under: Transfer News

The Premiership’s big club have been put on red alert after the president of FC Shakhtar, Rinat Akhmetov, declared midfielder Anatoliy Tymoshchuk is up for sale. “We are now open for negotiations about Tymoshchuk,” Akhmetov told profootball.com.ua, “because we have got enough Ukrainians in the squad. We haven’t sold him before because of the limit on foreigners. Now the situation has changed. I can’t name a price for this player, because this is the obligation for the clubs which are interested in him.” FC Shakhtar captain Tymoshchuk is regarded as one of Europe’s most accomplished defensive midfielders and has been watched by Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool over the last 18 months. Tymoshchuk, preparing for a big World Cup with Ukraine next month, said: “It is my dream to play for a top club in Europe, but now I’m concentrating on my preparation for the World Cup. I’ve done a lot for Shakhtar and now I’m ready to take a part of Shakhtar to Europe. I have been with Shakhtar since 1998 and I think it’s time to change championships.”

But that's from a United page so doubtful.
    Lille midfielder Jean Makoun has admitted that he is excited by Manchester United and Lyon's interest in him.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is reportedly a huge admirer of the Cameroonian, but has also been casting his eye over Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra.

It is highly unlikely that he will swoop for both of them, so if Diarra is his preferred option Makoun could be brought in to Lyon to fill the void.

Makoun is contracted to Lille until 2010 and coach Claude Puel is eager to keep all his top players, but the 23-year-old concedes he could be tempted by a high-profile move.

"I know people came to the stadium to see me, and that the club had phone calls for me," he explained.

"I have improved a lot here and I only have good things to say about Lille, but maybe it is the right moment to leave, even if you can never know for sure.

"Let's say I want to know what I am capable of at a higher level.

"I know Ferguson has followed my matches, maybe he has contacted the club.

"As for Lyon, I talked with important people who confirmed their interest."

Makoun was quick to stress that he had yet to make up his mind, and that any decision would not be based on greed.

"I have not talked with Claude Puel yet," he said. "Nothing has been settled so far.

"I am attracted to some things. It is not a matter of money, but of wanting to discover new challenges."

This is the guy Lyon have decided to replace Diarra with if he goes, so maybe we could get him before then and leave Diarra with his price tag with them :P

I'm really not bowled over by the prospect of another of these African/French central midfield enforcers coming in.

It happened with Djemba Djemba. He was rubbish.
    It happened with Essien. He is unproven and way overpriced. Although this doesn't matter to Chelsea, if we are to splash out for one long term central midfielder (could be up to £20m) I don't think we should gamble on one of these players.

Just my 2cents. Someone like Zokora or Diarra could turn out to be brilliant, but I'm just not entirely enamoured by the prospect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I heard diarra is waiting on Real Madrid making a move for him aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Esteban Cambiasso has been linked with a partial swap with Ruud. Wouldn't mind seeing him joining

Todays paper are suggesting that Ronaldo want's to leave.

In other related news:

Barton has been told by Pearce that he is finished at Man City.

peter draper also left Man Utd today, their marketing manager, cause apparently the Glaziers are bringing in new blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the rumour mills certainly are out at the moment, that cambiasso deal is getting a lot of coverage over the last few days and also riquelme. i think that ruud to chelsea rumour is rubbish, i dont think he will stay in england, its italy for him! saw it mentioned somewhere that the diarra deal is only to side track off the real targets. united will sign 4 players in the summer. its too early to say who they will be for definate and until the deals are signed and sealed and realeased to the the public, we can only continue to speculate.but i think the top targets are now>

riquelme
    torres
    cambiasso
    mascherano (this is a long shot though)

dont think that kerlon deal will happen for a few years and the mikel saga looks like ending in him going to chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

does anyone else think we'd be mad selling Ruud for £8million or so when Shevchenko is gonna go for £35million and is less than a year younger and both have a similar record in Europe

Advertisement