Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2006 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ribery is a very good player. I know Arsenal are interested in him aswell. The french connection with Arsenal will make it harder for united to persuade him. Find out after the WC i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

United have just had a 10 million pound bid turned down for Carrick.. (source. bbcfootball)
    I dont see how Spurs would be willing to let one of their best players go, no matter what the cash involved unless the player really wanted out..
    Clearly Spurs are a team on the up and Jol is building a good strong side there. Hence cant see one of best players leaving.. Who knows..
    Would love to see Ribery come in.. Hes getting ALOT of good press.. Good wc tho could see him go elsewhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

carrick,reo coker and ribery and i think i would be happy enough
    we need to get rid of some players as well silvestre,o'shea,fletcher

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ribery is a very good player. I know Arsenal are interested in him aswell. The french connection with Arsenal will make it harder for united to persuade him. Find out after the WC i suppose.
    Henry seems to be doing his best to persuade him to join Arsenal, but I can't see it happening myself. If he comes to England, it'll be to United.

I'm a little bit surprised Liverpool aren't interested actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

shepthedog wrote:
    United have just had a 10 million pound bid turned down for Carrick.. (source. bbcfootball)
    I dont see how Spurs would be willing to let one of their best players go, no matter what the cash involved unless the player really wanted out..
    Clearly Spurs are a team on the up and Jol is building a good strong side there. Hence cant see one of best players leaving.. Who knows..
    Would love to see Ribery come in.. Hes getting ALOT of good press.. Good wc tho could see him go elsewhere..

plus isnt davids gone, so jol would now be even more reliant on carrick. he wouldnt replace davids and carrick with that 10mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

I have it on good authority that Carrick would like a move to Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Apparently Diarra and Carrick will sign. Zokora is being monitored by Spurs, and he plays in a similar role to Carrick. A possible replacement.

Funds will come from the sale of RVN while Smith (when he returns) will take his normal role as striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Apparently Diarra and Carrick will sign. Zokora is being monitored by Spurs, and he plays in a similar role to Carrick. A possible replacement.

Funds will come from the sale of RVN while Smith (when he returns) will take his normal role as striker.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Watched Zokora playing for Ivory Coast today.. He looked good... Would have to see him play a bit more tho... Looks like decent player...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I hope to god Manutd dont go and sign Gatusso or Dusher as i think both would be terrible signings. Dusher did'nt even make it into the Argentina squad, so whats that say about him? I watched Argentina V Ivory Cost and i was impressed with Zokora, i think we need to see him again in the next 2 games they play, but if he plays like he did last night, Manutd should snap him up as i think he would suit Manutd and the premership. I think if Manu do sell Van Nielstrooy ( which i think they will ) then i think Fernando Torres would be a great signing......Ok he hasn;t played in the champions league and he is a bit hot and cold in spain at times, butn he very good player, playing in a bad team ( Athletico Madrid ) at the moment. I think if we offered Rudd + €10million we could get no probs. I'd also really like to see us sign Joaquin, i think he is top player playing in a really bad team also. I think he could be the buy of the season if we got, he's be perfect for manu, so direct and fast and likes to take on player and go past them....

IN: Joaquin, Torres, Zokora or Diarra or both :)

Out: Saha, Flectcher, Richardson,..........all rubbish and never make the grade at manu, but i sometimes wonder has that grade gone down:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I hope to god Manutd dont go and sign Gatusso or Dusher as i think both would be terrible signings. Dusher did'nt even make it into the Argentina squad, so whats that say about him? I watched Argentina V Ivory Cost and i was impressed with Zokora, i think we need to see him again in the next 2 games they play, but if he plays like he did last night, Manutd should snap him up as i think he would suit Manutd and the premership. I think if Manu do sell Van Nielstrooy ( which i think they will ) then i think Fernando Torres would be a great signing......Ok he hasn;t played in the champions league and he is a bit hot and cold in spain at times, butn he very good player, playing in a bad team ( Athletico Madrid ) at the moment. I think if we offered Rudd + €10million we could get no probs. I'd also really like to see us sign Joaquin, i think he is top player playing in a really bad team also. I think he could be the buy of the season if we got, he's be perfect for manu, so direct and fast and likes to take on player and go past them....

Out: Saha, Flectcher, Richardson,..........all rubbish and never make the grade at manu, but i sometimes wonder has that grade gone down:confused:

Saha? You are kidding me, right? Did you even watch the second half of the season?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Devious wrote:
    Saha? You are kidding me, right? Did you even watch the second half of the season?? :confused:
    He clearly hasn't, Saha doesn't make the grade...... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

I think Riquelme playing on the left like he did for Argentina, and two more defensively minded central midfielders (anyone from carrick, zokora, barton, nolan, reo coker, diarra, gattuso, emerson, vieira) would be enough to challenge strongly for the title, along with a replacement for Ruud if he goes

Riquelme wouldn't make it in the PL, he needs to much time, he'd be even worse than Veron.

MANUTD are supose to be the biggest club in the world ( there not).

Fletcher, Richardson wouldn't get a look in ar Arsenal or Chelsea so why Manu?

YES:Carrick, Zokora, Diarra, Reo-Coker. I think any of these would be great signings. Manutd should be buying BIG name players after all they claim to be the biggest club in the world.

NO:Barton, Nolan,Gattuso, Emerson, Vieira
    Kevin Nolan i think is over ratted and again i point out the fact he's not even an internationl player, so why would manu sign him?
    Gattuso, yeh i've seeing him play and he's ok, but not what manutd need. He can break up play and is a hard player, but he can't pick a pass and doesn't score enough.
    Vieira i dont want at manutd, he had a chance to sign a couple of years ago but turned us down + he prob has 2 years at the top.
    Emerson, I dont like, he do a job, but again only 2 years left at the top prob.

SAHA: I think yeh he;s ok player, but not good enough for manu, he was on trial on Newcastle and he wasn't good for them and they let him, he has one good season at Fulham and Ferguson decides to send £12-5million as he needed a second sriker for the champions league, but we got knocked out in the next round...So that was a complete waste of time and money, better of selling him and Ruud and buying Torres....

IT amazes me some of the players that manu fans want see manutd to buy, i mean most are rubbish and not good enough ( kevin Noaln, dont make me laugh) Then again as Eammon Dunphy says football is all about opions, so everyone has the right....but i don think a club like manu should be setting for second best with the likes of kevin Nolan, i dont even want him to play for ireland..........

• Advertisement

I like how you group together Kevin Nolan with Gattuso, Vieira and Emerson, who between them have 5 Serie A, 3 Premierships, 1 CL, 2 World Cup medals between them.

PHB wrote:
    I like how you group together Kevin Nolan with Gattuso, Vieira and Emerson, who between them have 5 Serie A, 3 Premierships, 1 CL, 2 World Cup medals between them.

I think PHB deserves a Blue Peter Badge for his outstanding maths above :) . Im well aware what they have won in the careers, But dont forget its a team game, hense they did'nt everything single handly, they were part of a winning team.

I was clearly making a point, as they say football is all about opinions and that is my opinion. So less of the sarcasm please.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ribery is a very good player. I know Arsenal are interested in him aswell. The french connection with Arsenal will make it harder for united to persuade him.

He's going to Lyon for €10 million.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

€10 million? They could get three times that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He's going to Lyon for €10 million.
    source?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Source?

Sorry not used to this thing...The Times Saturday 10 June

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2219641.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Duscher and Riquelme would not suit Utd at all.

Saha is an above average player, but no were near top class...and thats what Utd need up front.

a fee of 20m sterling plus may pursuade Spurs to sell Carrick , which would be a good signing.

Fletcher won't go, but he should.
    Miller - gone!
    O'Shea won't go, but he should.
    Richardson may still prove useful, but I doubt it...
    Evra, a complete waste of money by the looks of things.

What about Mascherano, the Argentinian midfielder. I've now seen him play 3 times for his country, and i think he would be a good addition to the United squad.

I liked what I saw of Zokora, althoguh Spurs seem to be favourites to sign him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok T4TF I blame for allowing this guy to join soccer forum........

VanNist plus 10million for Torres?? Saha out?? Zokora in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Carrick is worth nowhere near 20 million. If United get him it will be for about 10m.

I watched The argentina-ivory coast game there on saturday. Some good midfield players on display there. Riquelme had a very good game. I'm still not convinced he'd make it in the premer league. I liked what i saw of Zokora and Cambiasso was as solid as he always is. Mascherano done quite well in breaking up the play but didnt do much else. I'm a fan of this guy and expected him to be a bit more dynamic as i ive seen him in the past but he was very quiet in the game on saturday.

I'm hoping David Gill or the glazers will try to resolve this argument between Ruud and fergie. They surely must see the pattern of decent players heading out of old trafford after an argument with fergie. Ruud is worth 20-25 goals to us a season. Lettign him go would be very stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Carrick is worth nowhere near 20 million. If United get him it will be for about 10m.

Spurs have already turned down an offer of £10 million, Utd have upped that offer to an estimated £14 million.

If Utd get Carrick, it will be for more than £10 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Spurs have already turned down an offer of £10 million, Utd have upped that offer to an estimated £14 million.

any links to the upped offer. This could all change if he hands in a transfer request;)

TheMonster wrote:
    any links to the upped offer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/5068762.stm
    United had a £10m bid turned down on Friday and some newspapers reported the offer had now been upped to £14m.
    TheMonster wrote:
    This could all change if he hands in a transfer request;)

Not really. He has his price, and £10 million it ain't. He's got 2 years left on his contract, he goes for a price Spurs are happy with or he plays out the remaining two years of his contract.

This english independent said it was 7 million that was turned down. Unless they put in an increased offer over the weekend? I didnt hear anyway i was away the weekend.
    Carrick is a decent player and probably the best available option in the EPL for United. It'll be interesting to see what the figure is if United get him.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok T4TF I blame for allowing this guy to join soccer forum........

VanNist plus 10million for Torres?? Saha out?? Zokora in??

There is no need to get personal with your comments ( Ok T4TF I blame for allowing this guy to join soccer forum........)

I was simply making a point as its all about opinions and i can express my Opinion if i want you dont have to agree with them. If you read the rules it on the soccerform it cleary states that you do not insult or abuse another member. I think you need to read up on it again and i also think you should be banned for comments which were uncalled for i think.

• Advertisement

This english independent said it was 7 million that was turned down. Unless they put in an increased offer over the weekend? I didnt hear anyway i was away the weekend.
    BBC Sport's Jonathan Legard exclusively revealed on Friday evening that Spurs had turned down a £10m offer for 24-year-old Carrick.

Spurs have not commented officially on the figure, just to confirm they turned down a bid.

The initial bid was for 10 million, that is confirmed, a second bid is reported at 14, which is unconfirmed.

Today there was more links to Torres, Spanish side this time, with them saying Torres perhaps a move to Utd, and Utd will offer Ruud + 14 million cash.

Saha out has been a long running rumour, simply cause of Diarra, Saha + cash to Lyon etc.

Still haven't seen a quote from anyone that says the amount of the bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The bid was 10 million sterling. 14 million euro approx.

fade2black wrote:
    The bid was 10 million sterling. 14 million euro approx.
    Thats what has been reported but none of the quotes from Spurs mentioned an amount so its anybodies guess what it actually was.

Ribery set for Lyon? wonder if this is true

This doesnt really bother me. i want to see us sign a midfielder before we sign anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    The initial bid was for 10 million, that is confirmed, a second bid is reported at 14, which is unconfirmed.

Today there was more links to Torres, Spanish side this time, with them saying Torres perhaps a move to Utd, and Utd will offer Ruud + 14 million cash.

Saha out has been a long running rumour, simply cause of Diarra, Saha + cash to Lyon etc.

big changes and big risks if this were to happen! Kolo Toures brother looks decent, and there was reports earlier on in the year that utd were looking into it. Personally I tihnk Carrick, at 24, would be worth spending 10 - 18 million on....Diarra at 5-10m plus Saha I feel is a little to much. With Utd aided with this 12m cash from the Obi Mikel deal...Utd should splash out on quality in the midfield firstly. Strikers may be a worry (esp if RVN scenario is not sorted), but with Ole, Rossi, Smith, Saha and Rooney there, midfield is an area crying out for some above average player (at least) to grab a hold of and control at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Why should be go after Diarra when he said he wanted to join Real Madrid and apparently is now asking for 100K a week. He can fook right off if thats his attitude. Plenty of other capable players. Zakora looks top class.....and wouldnt cost half as much as Lyon are looking for Diarra.

Anybody notice how "world class" Essien looked last night? Game passed him by, what a waste of 24m :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Reported in The Star today that Fergie and RVN had settled the differences between them! The star is the source so wouldnt take that as gospel but fingers crossed there's some truth to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

jobonar wrote:
    Reported in The Star today that Fergie and RVN had settled the differences between them! The star is the source so wouldnt take that as gospel but fingers crossed there's some truth to it!
    Please let it be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Please let it be true!

also today Bayern Munich have expressed an interest in signing RVN!

Bayern want RVN

I really hope RVN doesn't leave. I really believe Fergie will rue loss of him, his record speaks for itself. Whereas in the past I would have agreed with Fergie's decisions to offload players in controversial circumstances (Keane, Beckham) I really hope Ruud doesn't leave!

Anybody notice how "world class" Essien looked last night?

What are you on about? Essien was class last night, was without a doubt Ghana's best player, and was MOM after Totti

Sizzler wrote:
    Why should be go after Diarra when he said he wanted to join Real Madrid and apparently is now asking for 100K a week. He can fook right off if thats his attitude. Plenty of other capable players. Zakora looks top class.....and wouldnt cost half as much as Lyon are looking for Diarra.

Anybody notice how "world class" Essien looked last night? Game passed him by, what a waste of 24m :D
    I thought Essien played quite well. Some incisive passing, picking people out from 40 - 50 yards. He's a quality player, pity chelsea don't utilise him to his full potential

PHB wrote:
    What are you on about? Essien was class last night, was without a doubt Ghana's best player, and was MOM after Totti

LOL
    He was Ghana's best player. Hardly has much competition ;)

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    I thought Essien played quite well. Some incisive passing, picking people out from 40 - 50 yards. He's a quality player, pity chelsea don't utilise him to his full potential

So he can hit a long ball, well done Micheal !

Totally over rated player and not worth what chelsea paid for him.

Anyway I dont give a ring about him,back to Utd, 15m for Carrick....a tad steep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Chelsea pay too much for all their players, whats new?!

He's a very good player, commands the midfield and has a good shot on him. United could do with player like him.
    As for Carrick i'd say their 12million offer is proper evaluation for him, i'd say Spurs know how badly United need someone and that they've got cash to spend. Inter-league transfers are always quite high but at the moment there seems to be no cheap solution for the midfield.

I think they'd be silly to sell Saha too, even if for a seemingly worthwhile trade. he's become a very valuable player and fits into the team well. United can't afford to lose anyone good if they want to catch Chelsea.

Sizzler wrote:
    So he can hit a long ball, well done Micheal !

Totally over rated player and not worth what chelsea paid for him.

Anyway I dont give a ring about him,back to Utd, 15m for Carrick....a tad steep?
    Yes he can hit a long ball. With pin point accuracy. Something that Beckham - you may have heard of him - has made a living out of. Not really sure why you trivialised that.

In addition though, in case that's all you think he can do (obviously if you watched the match or any he's played in you wouldn't need me telling you this) he covers the pitch, box to box and links the defence with attack. Possibly the most vital role in a team and he does it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay-been following this thread with interest and posted on it earlier on.
    I am going to say a few things....
    This whole fascination with "Sources"-ie "Proof" that someone has offered some money for a player or that a player wants to go to a certain club.
    The amount of absolute crap written into many of the papers these days regarding summer transfers and transfers in general is comical-I dont see how any of it can be taken as anywhere near the truth. Some of it may be true, most of it isnt. And it always amazes me when-a transfer actually goes through a paper will have a headline pointing back to a previous article they had about the potential transfer saying "We reported it first" making people think that what that particuliar paper says is gospel. What that paper neglects to mention however is the approximately 50 other players that they linked the club to which turned out to be utter crap.
    For example, this link contains a list of players united were connected to in the Summer of 2002:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsId=17749
    How many of them actually got remotely close to joining united?
    Here is speculation for this year:
    http://www.manutd.com/news/default.sps?iCategoryID=599&itype=466

I suppose we have nothing else to go on but these rumours and nonsense but I think requesting "Sources" is a bit on the pointless side.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

In that case, Essien must have been wearing Appiah on the back of his shirt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement