Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Editing on a Mac

• 08-11-2006 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

i want to do sound editing and work on a mac. what's my best software. doesd cool edit come for mac or is there something else that would be better. (radio docu making)

please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd say the audio/video editing would be a better program to ask this on... Link below :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=120

I'm sure Rymus wouldn't mind moving either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sosgal

Yeah, i only copped after I had posted. new to this boards malarkey. cheers for the link

But no-one's there. Seems to be more life over here. So, that question back out there - sound editing on a mac. any suggestions / loans of software, etc....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

sosgal wrote:
    i want to do sound editing and work on a mac. what's my best software. doesd cool edit come for mac or is there something else that would be better. (radio docu making)

please and thanks
    You won't get Cool Edit for the PC either these days. It was bought out by Adobe and is now called Audition. Very nice programme though.

Your best bet for Mac would be Audacity which is open source and free to use.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Showing off my tech-illiteracy now but gone there and downloaded after stumbling through different options. They ask is my mac intel or PPS. What's PPS?

Anyway, I've downloaded something but can't open it coz no available aplication can open.

Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

PPC! It's Power PC. If your Mac isn't one of the newer Intel ones then you'll need the PPC version.

You should be downloading a .DMG file which is a disk image which should mount once you double click on it.

Thanks for your help....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Audacity is the way to go for basic sound editing.. although.. it is VERY basic... but very reliable for an open source app.

If you want something a little better you will have to pay... ranging from Soundtrack Pro to ProTools... but for basic editing Audacity would be the one.

I also use an app called Sound Studio for OS X, not sure if it is available anymore though.. I have been using it for years. Google it and see... its not a bad one

Advertisement