Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: Michael Fitzgerald & Drink Driving

Options
  • 08-11-2006 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Mods, feel free to move this if you feel its in the wrong place...
    FINE Gael has been plunged into an embarrassing controversy after one of its politicians openly admitted he drinks and drives.

Tipperary councillor Michael Fitzgerald (50), who has a previous drink-driving conviction, said he sees nothing wrong with motorists having "three or four pints" before getting behind the wheel.

He insisted such people were being wrongly targeted for the carnage on our roads.

But a "furious" Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny last night effectively expelled councillor Cllr Fitzgerald from the party after hearing the comments.

He is to recommend that the whip be removed, putting him outside the party.

The storm comes just weeks after Fine Gael called for a zero tolerance approach to drink drivers.

A prominent Fine Gael county councillor in South Tipperary, Mr Fitzgerald publicly admitted he drives with "three or four pints" even though he has previously been breathalysed and banned from driving.

Mr Fitzgerald said he only wanted to highlight the issue of young boy racers driving at high speed in souped up cars in the early hours of the morning.

"I've never killed anyone. I feel the wrong people are being targeted," he said.

Lamenting the demise of Irish traditional pub culture, Mr Fitzgerald also hit out at the morning after breath test and said random breath testing is killing off the remnants of rural Ireland.

People were being confined to their homes and could not even drink at home as they could be breath-tested the next morning.

But his party leader reacted with fury when he heard the remarks.

Mr Kenny is to recommend to the party's Executive Council, which deals with disciplinary matters, that the whip be removed from Mr Fitzgerald over his remarks. "Enda Kenny was extremely angry," a party spokesman said last night.

"The law is the law and must be upheld."

The Road Safety Authority slammed his comments as "irresponsible".

Spokesman Brian Farrell said 30 lives have been saved since random testing was introduced and that the vast majority of the public supported the measure.

In an interview with Tipp FM radio, Mr Fitzgerald was asked if he drank and drove. "I do," he replied.

Asked how many drinks he took, he said about three or four pints.

Mr Fitzgerald cited the case of a man he knew who was caught for drink-driving just 100 yards from his house.

"Was he a threat doing what he did all his life?

"You have seasoned drinkers who can take four pints and you would hardly know they had it," said Mr Fitzgerald.

He also admitted being previously put off the road after being caught drink-driving.

In a statement last night, Mr Fitzgerald said: "I am totally opposed to the abuse of alcohol and to driving under the influence of drink, and fully support the gardai in their efforts in this regard.

"I also hold the view that while the law must be upheld across the board, that recent crackdowns by the gardai have been somewhat extreme on the public as they try to engage in normal convivial social behaviour."

Right, so to highlight the issue of boy racers, he admits to drinking and driving, and says its ok to do so. Unreal... Maybe he had a few pints on him when he said that. How can anybody in this country put any faith in our politicians anymore? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What a prick. The sad thing is he will probably get re-elected :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

He might get re-elected but it won't be for FG. What a clown!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently Tipp Co Co (of which he serves as a councillor) launched some kind of programme yesterday to tackle the carnage on the roads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was just about to post this in After Hours, what a fcukin joke..

If I were a on the Road Safety Council I would personally go down and strangle him. I mean how the hell are we to progress anywhere when there are people like him - in a public position of authority - around, giving everydrink driver the thumbs up.
    The councillor, who has a previous conviction for drink-driving, claims motorists under the influence of alcohol are being wrongly targeted for causing the ongoing carnage on Ireland's roads.

Rediculous!! I have a couple of speeding tickets.. so what I'll do is get elected to the local council, and give it loads about the older drivers who are causing all the accidents... sure its not us speeders at all!!

Apparently Enda Kenny is incensed with Fitzgerald's comments, and its considering taking serious action against him. Well I would have thought that he would have been doubly incensed since the first time Fitzgerald said it a while back.

Get rid of him tbh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Enda shouldn't consider it, he should just do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The mans a fool!
    Mr Fitzgerald said he only wanted to highlight the issue of young boy racers driving at high speed in souped up cars in the early hours of the morning.

"I've never killed anyone. I feel the wrong people are being targeted," he said.

Failure to tackle one does'nt make the other any more right. What a prink, the worst sort of old-school country-bumpkin.

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Enda sacked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How can Enda sack him? He can dump him out of the party, but he can't do anything about him sitting on some council.

The guy's a pea-brain, but it'll be surprising how many will vote for him at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Unfortunately, this muppet's attitude is not uncommon. I know a guy who overturned his van into a ditch one night after falling asleep while driving under the influence. Luckily no-one was injured. Afterwards, he was adamant that the drink had nothing to do with the accident. He also feels quite hard done-by that the local Garda warned himself and some of his mates that they were cracking down on drink driving in the area and that he shouldn't expect any favours. The Garda waring has made him reluctantly change his ways, but we'll see how long that lasts

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A little OT, but:

From the same story here
    The chief executive of the Road Safety Authority Noel Brett this morning said Mr Fitzgerald was sending out the wrong message.

"I wouldn't be using whether or not someone has been killed or seriously injured as the bench mark. The reality is drink driving is not acceptable.

"We know from our own market research that 87 per cent of the Irish population actually want more drink driving enforcement."

Does that mean that over 1 in 10 don't want more drink driving enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This guy is a fool

I hope FG make an example out of him.

Tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah sure, don't we all drive better with a bit of Dutch courage ;)

He must have been drunk when he went on radio, the tactless fool. I wonder if his admittance is enough to convict him of a drink driving offence and get him a driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

What an absolute twat. To come out with a series of comments like that in this day and age is unbelievable.

He should have his licence taken away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I wonder will we ever change the mindset? Along with this fool I have had countless arguments with people complaining at the injustice of Gardai breath testing people in the mornings. But if you are over the limit at night and you have had a skin full, the chances are that you will be over the limit the next morning and just as capable of causing carnage, so why do people feel that it is unjust to be caught the next morning. It's like saying it's ok to be caught speeding at night, but it's not right that you get caught the next moring? Am I missing something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Well to be honest I don't agree with these morning check points at all. People are good enough to leave cars at home on a night out and need their cars if they want to get to work the next morning. What if a person is living 20/30/40 miles from work? Are these people not entitled to a few pints on a Sunday night?

I think it's going too far and it's ruining the pub culture in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

hawker wrote:
    Are these people not entitled to a few pints on a Sunday night?

No one is saying that they're not. It's just that they are also obliged to act responsibly and lawfully the next day. It's up to them to reconcile the two.

phutyle wrote:
    No one is saying that they're not. It's just that they are also obliged to act responsibly and lawfully the next day. It's up to them to reconcile the two.

Yes I agree with you. But how much does a person know how much they can drink the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Endangering Irish pub culture". That's a good one.

Stark wrote:
    "Endangering Irish pub culture". That's a good one.

Look before you leap. I actually wrote 'ruining'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

hawker wrote:
    But how much does a person know how much they can drink the night before?

How much more state-nannying do you want? :rolleyes:

Drink-driving on the night or the morning afterm, just like speeding or double yellow line-parking, is a matter of personal responsibility. Your personal freedom stops where that of others begins, it's up to you to find out.

ambro25 wrote:
    How much more state-nannying do you want? :rolleyes:

Drink-driving on the night or the morning afterm, just like speeding or double yellow line-parking, is a matter of personal responsibility. Your personal freedom stops where that of others begins, it's up to you to find out.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

If I wanted to go out on a Sunday night for a few pints where do I draw the line? Can I have 5 pints and be happy in the knowledge that I could safely pass a random breath test the next morning? Can I have more than that? It seems there is no definitive guide to how long it takes alcohol to leave your system before you are deemed safe to drive. It's impossible to know the morning after a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I didn't misunderstand.

Alcohol absorption and dissipation may vary from one individual to another, but there is a clear difference between a couple of pints and a skinful.

It's whatever does the trick for you, and if it's an issue, just buy a disposable or reusable personal breathalyser, and work out your average.

At the end of the day, it's not down to the State to regulate your drinking to suit your driving requirements, it's down to your own level of personal responsibility - the State's only mission is to try and ensure that there are no drivers DUI on the road.

Driving is not a right, it's a priviledge, so any people concerned would do well to remember time and again that a priviledge is something you act responsibly with and take care of, once you've acquired it.

People need to get to work in the morning, same as they did 100 years ago when there were no cars: they are today priviledged to be able to do so with their own transport means - regardless of whether they need to drive to work, because of geographical imperatives. If they didn't drive in the first place, they wouldn't have gone for the job - so which is more important? The extra pint on Sunday or the job?

I'm trying not to preach, but I've been on the (painful) receiving end -as has my wife- and have precisely zero sympathy (quite a lot of antipathy, actually) for anyone DUI.

hawker wrote:
    Perhaps you misunderstood.

If I wanted to go out on a Sunday night for a few pints where do I draw the line? Can I have 5 pints and be happy in the knowledge that I could safely pass a random breath test the next morning? Can I have more than that? It seems there is no definitive guide to how long it takes alcohol to leave your system before you are deemed safe to drive. It's impossible to know the morning after a few pints.

well as a general guideline it takes one hour to process one unit of alcahol. so if you drink 5 pints and finish up at about 12 come 8 o clock in the morning you should be fine

On the other hand if you go to a night club and stay up til 3 am and drink 15 units of alcahol well then common sense would tell you not to drive.

The 1 hour per unit is also only a guideline and probably varies from person to person a bit

You can also buy your own handheld breath testing device.

Cheers for the general guieline. Just that I usually like 5/6 pints on a Sunday night and I'd be home by 12am. Not away till 8 next morning so it shouldn't really bother me so.

I presume I can quote you if I'm stopped?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 KTdesigner

What does he mean "Souped up" car? Is that a car full of soup or something?

And if all the young people were banned from driving (or better yet just terminated at birth, or up to the age of say 30, a kind of retro abortion). this would solve everyone's road problems, there'd be no traffic, no speeding, and no government soon after.

I assume the "soup" is THICK COUNTRY VEGETABLE.

Destroy the ones you call Politicians... DO NOT VOTE, they are overpaid and they do nothing. Feck them from a height. hehe.

hawker wrote:
    Cheers for the general guieline. Just that I usually like 5/6 pints on a Sunday night and I'd be home by 12am. Not away till 8 next morning so it shouldn't really bother me so.

I presume I can quote you if I'm stopped?:)

if you are over the limit quote away, they will still throw the book at you.

"The 1 hour per unit is also only a guideline and probably varies from person to person a bit"

I didn't type that for fun.

1 hour per unit is a guideline and may not apply to you

ambro25 wrote:
    I didn't misunderstand.

Alcohol absorption and dissipation may vary from one individual to another, but there is a clear difference between a couple of pints and a skinful.

It's whatever does the trick for you, and if it's an issue, just buy a disposable or reusable personal breathalyser, and work out your average.

At the end of the day, it's not down to the State to regulate your drinking to suit your driving requirements, it's down to your own level of personal responsibility - the State's only mission is to try and ensure that there are no drivers DUI on the road.

Driving is not a right, it's a priviledge, so any people concerned would do well to remember time and again that a priviledge is something you act responsibly with and take care of, once you've acquired it.

People need to get to work in the morning, same as they did 100 years ago when there were no cars: they are today priviledged to be able to do so with their own transport means - regardless of whether they need to drive to work, because of geographical imperatives. If they didn't drive in the first place, they wouldn't have gone for the job - so which is more important? The extra pint on Sunday or the job?

I'm trying not to preach, but I've been on the (painful) receiving end -as has my wife- and have precisely zero sympathy (quite a lot of antipathy, actually) for anyone DUI.

I was simply asking a question in order to put my mind at ease if I felt like a few pints during the week.

Vegeta wrote:
    if you are over the limit quote away, they will still throw the book at you.

"The 1 hour per unit is also only a guideline and probably varies from person to person a bit"

I didn't type that for fun.

1 hour per unit is a guideline and may not apply to you

I wasn't serious about quoting you. It was my attempt at humour and if I offended you in any way, I apologise.

• Advertisement

hawker wrote:
    I wasn't serious about quoting you. It was my attempt at humour and if I offended you in any way, I apologise.

No apology needed, I just wanted to make sure you understand that maybe you are not the average person and alcahol might stay in your system longer

I wouldn't like to have your death on my conscience if you crashed, died and for some strange reason the lady reading the news said "A man has died in a car crash on his way home from the pub, he was known as hawker from boards"

well then i'd feel a bit of guilt for telling you it was 1 unit per hour when obviously it didn't apply to you because you only have half a liver or something.

All I am saying is be careful and the only 100% way to know for sure you are not over the limit is to not drink on Sunday night or have a few non alcaholic Becks or something awful tasting like that.

Its very easy for me to say don't drink and drive when I don't drink myself (I know an Irish 23 year old male who doesn't drink, what a freak!!!)

Advertisement