Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is boards?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

hi - had a discussion with a mate of mine - we are both IT but he is a lot more techy than me.

he says boards is a blog.
    I disagree but have no viable alternative to suggest.
    we both agree it's not a chat room 9due to the lack of live chat)

help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Boards isnt a blog I'd more describe it as an message forum / internet forum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's an Internet message forum. Internet Message forums are the HTTP evolutionary equivalent of USENET Groups, or heaven forbid, the old BBSes. Due to the extreme obsolecence of BBSes (if any still exist), a lot of people now call Internet Forums, "Bulletin Boards".

A blog is a place where someone can post their own ramblings, and have other people comment on, or discuss said ramblings. The difference between a blog and Internet Forums, is that a blog is per-user. That is, each user has control of their own blog and essentially "owns" the blog - having the power to remove or edit any comments made. Other users can't start topics or stories on a person's blog. Internet Forums allow any users to start any topics anywhere, but they do not have control to edit or remove other users' replies. They do not "own" any topics they start or any forums in which they start them.

I've had a couple of people say that boards.ie is a mailing list, but that was only because they had never visited it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I call it a bulletin board meself.

Advertisement