Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing on US servers from Europe?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Right then, after resisting it for so long (mainly due to all the crap MMORPG's that I've suffered in the past) I gave in and bought WoW yesterday. Installed it, created a character and am quite enjoying it so far.

But, my mate wanted me to join his server so that we could play together. The problem being, he got the game in america and is only able to see the US servers, where as I can only see the Euro ones.

Is there any way of getting onto the US servers from Europe or vice versa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah you will need to buy a US version of the game, same thing happened to me, i wanted to join my mates from my SWG in WoW. So i purchased the game, installed and downloaded all the updates. Then realised that only Euro servers were listed. So i queried it and they said i would have to buy the US version.

I was pissed needless to say, they should have this plastered on the box somewhere "Euro servers only" could of saved me alot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Bugger. Ah well, my mate earns more money than me so I try and get him to fork out the €17 for the game again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I'm not sure about this but it might be worth a try if you have the bandwidth, not so
    long ago I downloaded the demo version and I think there was an option to either
    choose the US or "oceanic" server list.
    Would it be possible to do this and then enter you account details as if you just
    bought the game? As I said I'm not sure but might be worth a try.

Thanks,
    Derek.

I'll give it a whirl when I get a chance. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Get your friend to get you a guest pass from his account management page, then start paying for the account when the free period runs out. I don't think you have to pay a price for the game then but I'm not 100% sure. To use the american version using the client you have at the moment you've got to get the american WoW.exe and then just change the ip in your realmlist.wtf(in your normal WoW directory) from EU to US and it should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

nix wrote:
    Yeah you will need to buy a US version of the game, same thing happened to me, i wanted to join my mates from my SWG in WoW. So i purchased the game, installed and downloaded all the updates. Then realised that only Euro servers were listed. So i queried it and they said i would have to buy the US version.

I was pissed needless to say, they should have this plastered on the box somewhere "Euro servers only" could of saved me alot of hassle.
    Hah, or you could have investigated it before you bought it!

But yeah, playing on US servers from EU is a nightmare at peak times. I'm in the beta atm and where once I'd have 57ish ping I now have 300+ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

The TBC beta servers are in the US? i didnt know that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ivan wrote:
    Hah, or you could have investigated it before you bought it!

But yeah, playing on US servers from EU is a nightmare at peak times. I'm in the beta atm and where once I'd have 57ish ping I now have 300+ :(

Well having bought MMO's prior to this game and not one of the games seperated US from Euro servers. Not ever! It should have been displayed clearly on the packet as this is the internet =/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Erm, it does say on the back of the box for WoW "Playable on European servers only"...

Yeah, but I rarely read the back of the box. And, like nix said, on all the MMORPG I've played before, they never differentiated between US and Euro. Seems a little stupid IMO, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

Theres a way to change it with one of the .ini files in your wow folder, one of them lists euro server or something, you need to change it to us. I'll have a look for you

There are no .ini files. I got a us wow.exe and changed any euro references I could find in the .wtf files, but it just won't connect to a server anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Its realmlist.wtf or somesuch. But thats beside the point, that only allows you to connect to the US servers. You would still need a US account to be able to play there.

Well, I found a post on the Wow forums that said installing a US copy helped one guy to play on their servers, so I'm going to give that a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Just get your mate to buy a copy of the game over here,

Its like 30 euro.

Problem solved, roll characters together

Did one better. I took his version. On his account he sent me a trial signup. I installed with his disks and used the s/n from the trial. Then jsut created a new account and when I start up I can now choose US and oceanic servers.

Advertisement