Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin Wireless PCI Card

Options
  • 08-11-2006 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

I picked up one of these to replace a zyxel usb adaptor that I had been using with a zyxel modem on BT Broadband.

I'm getting very good - excellent signal strength but speed is dropping to only 1-2 mb's...anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pick another channel to dodge around interference ( set it on the zyzel in advanced options for wireless , if it says 7 make it 11 )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

thanks Sponge Bob

I changed it from 11 to 7 and moved the modem a bit. Signal strength is still excellent and the speed is now 5.5mbps.

Doesn't seem to be too much 'noise' on either channel so I can't understand why I am not getting 48 or 54 mbps.

I updated the Belkin software and the driver too.

My modem is in the main bedroom and the pc is across the landing in the box room.

Anyone got any ideas?

I probably am getting the max download speed but if it drops to 2 mbps or 1 mbps I don't think I am. I on a 2mb line with BT.

Wish I had of got a phone connection in the box room. Wireless is a pain imo.

Could it be a 802.11b card (or the modem only supports b ) which was the 1st wifi standard really at 11 mbits nominal or is it clearly connecting as 802.11g which is 54mbits

/me usually chills as long as his wireless connnection is faster than his BB connection

it does not sound like distance anyway , you may still have interference on 7 but not as bad as the default 11 you were originally set to.

I would note nominal vs typical speeds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Protocol Data Rate (Typical) Data Rate (Max) Range (Indoor)
    802.11b 6.5 Mbit/s 11 Mbit/s ~100 meters

Not every channel is the same in terms of bandwidth, the widest (fastest) are 11 7 6 and 4 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

the modem and the card are definitely 802.11g.

The connection speed always starts at 54 and goes rapidly down.

What I can't understand is that when I was using the usb adaptor I was usually getting 'good' signal strength and a speed of about 24-36 mbits.

So it's

Excellent / 5.5mbps v Good/ 24 mbps

I suppose if it is over 2mb it's ok.

run a ping, if you have a 2mbit DSL connection then its working fine if you can ping www.boards.ie at a constantish 30-40ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Compare with Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, zyxel etc WiFi PCI card or PCI -PCMCIA/PCcard adaptor and laptop card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Belkin stuff tends to be really really shoddy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

move the modem in beside the pc and see what speed it conencts at then.

Advertisement