Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Bels gone bust?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Having passed by a few times in the last couple of weeks, there appears to be no sign of life in the place.

Has it closed down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

where's that and what is it?

(s'cuse my stoopidity! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

yeah I heard it had closed down - pity found it a lot nicer than Bocellis down the road which are owned by the same people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Bocellis......:rolleyes:

Bels used to sell cardigans and pants,school uniforms what have you. They were quite good at it.

I guess making rolls and coffee was just a bridge too far.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

IT Loser wrote:

Bels used to sell cardigans and pants,school uniforms what have you. They were quite good at it.

I guess making rolls and coffee was just a bridge too far.:eek:

You what?? :confused:

• Advertisement

dubgirl wrote:
    You what?? :confused:

Back in the day, and I'm going back to when I was a boy, maybe 5 years ago or so {I'm in my mid 20's ha ha...seriously 1980's} Bels used to sell school uniforms, shirts, cardigans, casual wear, that sort of thing.

Then they closed down, when people went soft on the idea of marriage and having children {that went to school at least} , or having children whilst married or whatever......quite simply, they just closed down.:(

They they were back with a bang in Celtic Tiger Era, as Bels, purveyors of coffees, dinners, sang-idges and what not.

And now they are gone!

Conclusion
    Selling kiddieswear and feeding the kiddies are too totally different rackets.

Bocellis.....:rolleyes: I mean...its a jumped up wine bar. You might as well call it Atillas.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Having passed by a few times in the last couple of weeks, there appears to be no sign of life in the place.

Has it closed down?

Under new ownership, opening end of this month.
    Think the two lads that owned it previously had a falling out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Bochellis used to be a butchers didn't it?

Anyways as for Bels, it's hard to make a good business out of a restaurant/bistro when you have Surly the Waiter as one of your senior staff!

Hopefully someone who knows something about customer service might make a go of it.

I didn't realise Bels and Bocelli's were owned by the same crowd, but given the service in both, I'm hardly surprised.

daveco23 wrote:
    Under new ownership, opening end of this month.
    Think the two lads that owned it previously had a falling out..

That will happen.

Usually, when it does, if it gets to Court, the judge will wind the whole thing up. Bing-Bada-Boom.

Bochellis used to be a butchers didn't it?

Anyways as for Bels, it's hard to make a good business out of a restaurant/bistro when you have Surly the Waiter as one of your senior staff!

Hopefully someone who knows something about customer service might make a go of it.

I didn't realise Bels and Bocelli's were owned by the same crowd, but given the service in both, I'm hardly surprised.

HA HA Give Em Hell Mike. Jumped up wine bars the lot of them. Go to Spain for the real deal. The waiter even wears a white coat and gives you some vino as a sampler. None of that in Atillas, I mean Bocellis.

Surly the Waiter!!!!!:D :D

Fight the Man, Mike...FIGHT THE MAN!!!

Did you ever go to a place called Christophs up near the Courts...VERY GOOD!!! Highly recco the place for VFM and Quality of food.

• Advertisement

Can't believe y'all didn't know the history of Bels.:eek:

We're not all natives y'know!

Wifey is a local and she told me, otherwise I'd never have known.

That said, I'm in Greystones long enough to remember when there were two Xtravisions in Greystones, the Burnaby was a serious dump, you could actually just have a coffee/glass of wine downstairs in the Hungry Monk and the Beach House had a decent restaurant!

Perhaps the Greystones Restaurant Bubble has burst. Quality has declined in the last few years in most places in the village.

That said, I'm in Greystones long enough to remember when there were two Xtravisions in Greystones, the Burnaby was a serious dump, you could actually just have a coffee/glass of wine downstairs in the Hungry Monk and the Beach House had a decent restaurant!

Perhaps the Greystones Restaurant Bubble has burst. Quality has declined in the last few years in most places in the village.

GREED. END OF STORY.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That said, I'm in Greystones long enough to remember when there were two Xtravisions in Greystones, the Burnaby was a serious dump, you could actually just have a coffee/glass of wine downstairs in the Hungry Monk and the Beach House had a decent restaurant

HEY! the old Burnaby was great - cheap beer, slashed seats, unidentifiable stains on the carpet. It had character, the new one is soulless and usually half-empty.

IT Loser - you can edit your own posts - no need to reply to yourself all the time (not that you ever have anything useful to say anyway).

loyatemu wrote:
    HEY! the old Burnaby was great - cheap beer, slashed seats, unidentifiable stains on the carpet. It had character, the new one is soulless and usually half-empty.
    It never did anything for me, slashed seats or fancy decor.

Much prefer Dann's.

loyatemu wrote:

IT Loser - you can edit your own posts - no need to reply to yourself all the time (not that you ever have anything useful to say anyway).

I remember when some lads came down from the BBLS faculty in UCD for a few rounds of golf at Delgany, they tried to go for a jar in "The Burnaby" afterwards....couldn't get served, because [ostensibly] they couldn't produce PASSPORT identification. This was after the revamping.

PArt of the problem with Bels is that they are doing something thats already being done on a grand scale in Greystones: overcharge for food and drink. The youngsters are going to go to Bocellis, they would, cos, its like, Bocellis, y'know. :p

Loya....the mods will dictate who does what with posts, editing etc. In the mean time you just run along sunshine, run along.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

It never did anything for me, slashed seats or fancy decor.

Much prefer Dann's.
    I think Danns has gone downhill of late, the place is always freezing. No excuse for that given there is a huge stove in the place. Much prefer the Burnaby before it was 'done up'. There is no character in it now. I agree that the seating left a lot to be desired but that could have been easily rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

So where would people recommened for a local pint?

foxy06 wrote:

Couldn't tell you, i've never gone for a drink in Greystones. Ever. I'm not from here as such and I pretty much refuse to have anything to do with its so called "imbibing emporia" now that I've settled in. Not after that incident where the lads couldn't get served.

I'm so used to the places up in Smithfield and the Student bars that I just wouldn't be arsed with Greystones at this stage.

Sorry....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

foxy06 wrote:

As someone who has seen the Burnaby in about four different decors and can remmber Danns when it was a disco-bar (all kind of pink and fluffy) I strongly recomend you try them all. The quality of pubs in Greystones is very poor but they grow on you if you visit often enough!! (OK with the exception of Script. After three visits I still think its horrible) Dont forget the one closest to you, The Rugby club. the bar is open to non members, and its great fun on match days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Dann's and the Wicklow Arms are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The Rugby club. the bar is open to non members, and its great fun on match days.

I didn't know that. Sounds good but I wouldn't know the first thing about rugby and I'd probably feel a bit out of place there. Himself too as he is into football and the NFL. Would non rugby fanatics ever drop in for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

The club is a very sociable place. If you watch a match you will quickly realise that not only is a knowledge of the game unnecessary in order to be a spectator, it appears not to be an absolute prerequisite for actully being on the team!
    Seriously, the club is more for people who like to watch rugby and if neither of you has any interest in the sport at all you probably wont enjoy it much but if you dont mind watching the game as an excuse for a few pints after, I think its worth a try. They usually show internationals and Heineken cup matches on a big screen, something thats not easy to find in greystones.

My own other preference is Danns. It could be so much better with a bit of cleaning, heat and better service but when you get a few people into it its good. For afternoon drinking try the bay window in the Beach house. On a stormy day you can sit there for hours watch the sea. (When you ar let!)

Also why not try sailing and then you can drink in the sailing club?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

In terms of restaurants, the indian restaurant Chakra has to be one of the best in the country - early bird is great value.

Getting very difficult to get a seat now that they've won an award.

Hopefully they won't get all 'up themselves' when it comes to booking a table - like another establishment with a religious theme where they think they are doing you a favour letting you in.

Advertisement