Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax question

Options
  • 08-11-2006 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I bought a car a few months ago but the tax had run out before i bought it.

I havent taxed it coz i dont know how.

could somebody please tell me wht the procedure is?

i checked out revenue.ie but cant find anything there.

what is the proceedure?

Please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Do you have the registration cert for the car? Is it insured? If so, you need to bring both of these (and NCT cert if applicable) to your local tax office. If you have been driving the car up to now you will need to pay tax in arrears for these months. If not, you need to get the form stamped by the Gardaí to say the vehicle has been off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

www.motortax.ie

Basically you fill out the forms and go to the tax office and pay. Youi need your drivers licence and possible the vehicle registration (just for the first time)

you will have to back date it though from when you firt brought the car onto the road.

after you tax it for the first time, they then send you reminders and you can do it on line as they provide a pin number for you.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Is the car now registed in your name? If it is it should just be a case of going into your local car tax office and filling out a form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Thanks for the replies. I have all the papers.

Do i have to go in though? I thought id be able to do it online or by post or sumthin.

What about the fact that it had run out of tax before i bought it. will thta create a hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You're only liable for the tax since you became owner of the car.

Ring the motortax office and ask for a PIN to be sent out so you can tax it online. I got this automatically when I bought my 2nd hand car. On new cars I think you have to tax it in person in the office before they'll send out a PIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think it is form RF100A and you will have to fill in a Declaration Form.

Trinity 1 wrote:
    You need your drivers licence
    Why? One doesn't have to hold a driving licence to own/tax a vehicle?

Government departments :rolleyes: They dont make it easy do they.

I went to motortax.ie to find the right form to print off. Here are the options:

FORM RF100A - MOTOR TAX RENEWAL
    This form can be used to renew the motor tax on your vehicle if, for any reason, the form issued to you in the post is unavailable. The form must be used if you wish to pay arrears in a motor tax office or declare a period of non-use of a vehicle. Detailed instructions on completing and submitting the form are contained in the accompanying notes.
    >> Form RF100A (PDF)

FORM RF111 - CHANGE OF PARTICULARS
    This form is to be used if a change is required to the recorded details of your vehicle, such as:
    • Motor tax class
    • Colour
    • Engine details
    • Name (as a result of marriage, etc.)
    Detailed instructions on completing and submitting the form to your local motor tax office are contained in the accompanying notes.
    >> Form RF111 (PDF)

FORM RF200 - NOTIFICATION OF TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
    This form is to be used if you require to notify change of ownership of a vehicle registered before 1 January 1993. The completed form and logbook must be submitted to your local motor tax office. Changes of ownership of vehicles registered since 1 January 1993 should be notified by completing Part B of your Vehicle Licensing Certificate and returning it to the Vehicle Registration Unit, Town Centre, Shannon, County Clare.
    >> Form RF200 (PDF)

FORM RF134 - APPLICATION FOR REPLACEMENT DOCUMENTS
    This form is to be used when making an application for a replacement document where the original was lost, stolen or destroyed. The form must be completed and witnessed by a member of the Garda Síochána at your local Garda Station. The completed form must be submitted to your local Motor Tax Office.
    >> Form RF134 (PDF)

I would have thought the first one would be the right one but they dont make it clear as to whether this is the right one. They say to use it if there is a change of owener details NOT OWNERSHIP. But they dont say which one to use.

I have the registration papers in my name so I dont need to notify them of change of ownership.

Maccattack wrote:
    Government departments :rolleyes: They dont make it easy do they.

I went to motortax.ie to find the right form to print off. Here are the options:

FORM RF100A - MOTOR TAX RENEWAL
    This form can be used to renew the motor tax on your vehicle if, for any reason, the form issued to you in the post is unavailable. The form must be used if you wish to pay arrears in a motor tax office or declare a period of non-use of a vehicle. Detailed instructions on completing and submitting the form are contained in the accompanying notes.
    >> Form RF100A (PDF)

FORM RF111 - CHANGE OF PARTICULARS
    This form is to be used if a change is required to the recorded details of your vehicle, such as:
    • Motor tax class
    • Colour
    • Engine details
    • Name (as a result of marriage, etc.)
    Detailed instructions on completing and submitting the form to your local motor tax office are contained in the accompanying notes.
    >> Form RF111 (PDF)

FORM RF200 - NOTIFICATION OF TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
    This form is to be used if you require to notify change of ownership of a vehicle registered before 1 January 1993. The completed form and logbook must be submitted to your local motor tax office. Changes of ownership of vehicles registered since 1 January 1993 should be notified by completing Part B of your Vehicle Licensing Certificate and returning it to the Vehicle Registration Unit, Town Centre, Shannon, County Clare.
    >> Form RF200 (PDF)

FORM RF134 - APPLICATION FOR REPLACEMENT DOCUMENTS
    This form is to be used when making an application for a replacement document where the original was lost, stolen or destroyed. The form must be completed and witnessed by a member of the Garda Síochána at your local Garda Station. The completed form must be submitted to your local Motor Tax Office.
    >> Form RF134 (PDF)

I would have thought the first one would be the right one but they dont make it clear as to whether this is the right one. They say to use it if there is a change of owener details NOT OWNERSHIP. But they dont say which one to use.

I have the registration papers in my name so I dont need to notify them of change of ownership.
    RF100A - The other 3 do not apply in your case (seems quite clear to me).

(seems quite clear to me).

... except that they say. DO NOT use this form if there has been a change of owner.

Ive sent them a mail asking which to use...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - I'd get get it sorted out straight away if I were you, if the car is more than 3 months out of tax then the Guards can impound it. I don't know where you live, but I pass through checkpoints every fortnight or so.

• Advertisement

Well f**k me. I got a reply straight away!

On this occassion you will have to tax your vehicle at your local motor
    tax office. You can download the relevant form RF100a from the web site
    and post or bring this to your local motor tax office. This form will
    explain what documents need to accompany your application for tax.

you were right!

Maccattack wrote:
    ... except that they say. DO NOT use this form if there has been a change of owner.
    They mean not to use it as THE change of ownership form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

That form is such a bollox to fill out, not enough boxes for nct number, too few boxes for chassis and insurance numbers, <sarcasm> saying that tho the gardai are very helpful when you are getting it stamped to declare off the road </sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I think it is form RF100A and you will have to fill in a Declaration Form.

Why? One doesn't have to hold a driving licence to own/tax a vehicle?

My mistake, i thought i rememebered having to bring mine when taxing the car for the first time - perhaps it was the insurance i needed it for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lorax wrote:
    That form is such a bollox to fill out, not enough boxes for nct number, too few boxes for chassis and insurance numbers, <sarcasm> saying that tho the gardai are very helpful when you are getting it stamped to declare off the road </sarcasm>
    Why the sarcasm? In my experience, the Gardaí are very helpful when you are getting it stamped to declare off the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement