Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mark V Golf and Ipod

Options
  • 08-11-2006 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

My wife is getting an '05 Mk V Golf in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if there is an input for an Ipod either in the cabin or an Aux input on the back of the radio (it has a slot in CD player) that I could hook an Ipod up to. Thanks,
    Vic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I got a 06 GTi, there is no Ipod connection I am afraid Victor. I had to get a new radio. Cost about 320 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

None in the VW's, just buy yourself an FM transmitter to attach to the iPod and it will broadcast the tunes to your existing radio with no wires or mess. They cost anything from €20-€60 depending on the model you get, Smyths and O2 Stores have them and more than likely any decent electronics shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

you can get a Dension Ice link ( I think Halfords have them) which will plug into the back of the stereo (some stereos will only take one whch plugs into the fm input at the rear - these are not as reliable. I think the Golf stereo can take the proper one (AUX input I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to try the dension ice link, i had an Itrip before for my own Ipod and car which i got rid of after a week, sound was terrible. I don't suppose the CD player on the golf plays MP3's does it?

Lightening, what radio did you go for? Is the Golf radio not built into the facia? How does it look with a normal head unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Victor, on the latest Golf's there is a factory option to install an iPod connection in the armrest. Its around 200 euro option from the factory. Seems like a very neat idea, the iPod docks in the armrest and you control it like a CD changer from the radio.
    However, this is too late for you obviously.
    As far as I know, this is also possible to retro-fit after factory (maybe in the glovebox also), though I would bet your dealer would not know much about it. From what I've read its as simple as pulling out the radio, plugging the appropriate cable into the back and fishing it out into the glovebox or where ever suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Thanks JoeA3, It's a pity more manufacturers don't provide this type of connection, the install under the arm rest with a Dension ice link sounds like the way to go, Thanks
    Vic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Have you visited this Forum ? MK5 - I.C.E and Electronics

Advertisement