Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hatchbacks and baby seats - Looking for new car

Options
  • 08-11-2006 12:10pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Mrs is looking for a new motor, only 4 months to go til new arrival and current car (3 door hatch) is going.

Was initially looking at a focus hatch, but was wondering about the other superminis out there. Would be interested in hearing from any owners of hatches, want to see whether baby seats and assorted sprog paraphenelia would fit into the cars. All the below would be in the 5 door models
    • Ford Focus
    • Toyota Yaris
    • Skoda Fabia
    • Seat Ibiza
    • Volkswagen polo
    • Any other one you care to suggest
    Big requirements would be safety and reliability. There's only me, the mrs and the baby on the way. We're already a two car family (currently driving a colt/mirage but moving onto a company car/van soon.

So, any feedback on the cars above would be appreicated. Looking at the fabias there seems to be a range of engines. She's currently driving a Toyota Corsa (jap import - same engine as the starlets ~ 1.3 16v, so something along that power rating.)

Thanks for reading!

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MarkR wrote:
    She's currently driving a Toyota Corsa
    :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Also consider Skoda Fabia estate. The boot is massive and you could possibly get the buggy in there without folding it ...and the shopping etc.
    Plus their going for reasonable prices second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The Mazda3 is the same chassis as the Focus, but I reckon it's got more room in the cabin. It's got 3 3 point belts in the back, and a split rear seat that folds with one button press - might be very handy for accessing the boot. Actually
    the parcel shelf opens to allow access to the boot from the rear seat too.
    It's cheaper than the focus with a longer warranty.

It's a very easy car to drive and has plenty of 'internal storage' - bottle and cup holders and the largest glove box I've ever seen.

I've had car seats in mine with no problems, never tried landing a buggy into the boot though.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

:confused::D

I get that a lot.

94el41_4.jpg

Toyota corsa.

Fogot to mention a price range - looking to spend up to 6k, expecting year to be 2000 ish.

I'll look into the estate version of the fabia too. Mazda 3 probably a bit too new for the cash we can spend, but thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I recommend that you get a bigger car. Running a 1.8 Mondeo isn't going o cost much extra and you have more room.

If you have another child then 2 seats and extras in the boot is entirely manageable but even in something like a Focus the front passenger is moving their seat forward to make space for dangling legs at the back etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

3ps wrote:
    I recommend that you get a bigger car. Running a 1.8 Mondeo isn't going o cost much extra and you have more room

Totally agree. Was in the same position myself recently and upgraded the Fiesta to an '01 1.8 Rover 75 for €6k. Cars in this class are a bargain in this country. Do your sums!
    MarkR wrote:
    I get that a lot

LOL, new to me too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Skoda Octavia? Should have plenty to choose from at 6K

Advertisement