Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am getting a trainer shortly...have some concerns

Options
  • 08-11-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Ive read though that its not a good idea to put your good bike up on a turbo trainer as it can damage the headset among other things.

What are peoples experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Wow, you are really going all out with the bike purchases :D
    junii wrote:
    Ive read though that its not a good idea to put your good bike up on a turbo trainer
    Where did you read this? I find it very hard to believe.
    A friend of mine does weekly turbo trainer sessions with his tri club. They all use nice bikes and spend 60-80 mins on the trainers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I read it in a book "Smart cycling". Ill get the excerpt tonight and post it.

Well, not really going all out...haven't got the aerobars and am holding off...also haven't got the lights yet... just shoes and clipless pedals!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What's the big attraction in trainers? Avoiding traffic and pollution? So you don't get wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Trojan wrote:
    What's the big attraction in trainers? Avoiding traffic and pollution? So you don't get wet?

A number of things I guess.

With the shorter days in the winter it can be hard to get out in the daylight for a spin (usually dark once you get home from work). Having a trainer helps you get some time on your bike when it might otherwise be difficult.

Also in the winter, it can be much easier to get on the trainer for an hour rather than go to the trouble of gearing up for the outside - maybe not a big issue in Ireland, but a real challenge in some parts of the world...

Very easy to do focused sessions on a trainer (you can watch DVDs for example) - and easy to squeeze in a session in a short period of time. You can also watch all your old bike pr0n and pretend you are riding with the big boys (I plan to give Tom Boonen a good thrashing in the Tour of Flanders later this evening.)

Saying that, spending time on my trainer certainly isn't something I would do if I had the choice to ride outside instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't have one myself (yet, considering one) but the winter dark would indeed be the main thing, especially for Junii who is down the country. Cycling outside with no street lighting is more dangerous than in a city, where you might have cycle paths, etc.

Also personally I won't go out in strong rain for fun (will/have to for my commute) although I find the dark not actually so bad depending on the route.

Also what cerebus says about being able to watch DVDs etc. would appeal, although agreed I'd be outside given the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

cerebus wrote:
    Very easy to do focused sessions on a trainer (you can watch DVDs for example) - and easy to squeeze in a session in a short period of time. You can also watch all your old bike pr0n and pretend you are riding with the big boys (I plan to give Tom Boonen a good thrashing in the Tour of Flanders later this evening.)

This is why I want it. The book I have includes a 12 week training course on a stationery trainer. Ill still do plenty of cycling outside and would perfer this ultimately but I want to get up to high level of fitness. Thats just my goal at the moment.

I forgot to bring in that book today to quote it but ill do it this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

There's no reason for the headset comment. There's probably more stress on it when riding on the erm..... great roads around here.

There is a bit of stress on the rear traingle which is clamped in the trainer but as far as problems go, the worst is your back tyre being worn down :D

Advertisement