Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which version to get

• 08-11-2006 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting an old machine in a week or so and I plan on giving Linux a lash, probably one of the ones that resemble xp for ease of learning.

It will be a 700mhz Celeron, and won't be used for anything other then listening to music and browsing the net, although it might be used for the odd game of soldier of fortune 2 which under wine seems to be fine with linux.

I have a geforce 2 set aside here for it as I know nvidia have better driver support, but what about my sound card (i have loads of old generic 5.1 ones and a SB or two) and my wifi usb key, etc, i've heard about alot of problems getting even mainstream sound cards working with several of the versions

What would anyone recommend for a total linux beginner for the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ubuntu

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For the internet - do you have a modem :( - or a network card :)

ubuntu and knoppix are debian based. if you are having problems detecting hardware the knoppix cd is pretty good at picking it up. Knoppix is not designed to be installed on a HDD permenantly as it can't be upgraded because it has been tweaked so much.

for something that looks like windows 98, puppylinux is good for a laugh

do you have 128MB of RAM on the PIII ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have 256mb Ram.

Also probably have network card but ideally would like be able use wifi key...

for 256M of ram, you might consider xubuntu which is more lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

DSL, Dawm Small Linux :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

FreeBSD. Oops, thought for a second there this was the Unix forum.

If it's Linux you're after, which is not Unix, I recommend Ubuntu. It's easy to set up and use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If it's Linux you're after, which is not Unix, I recommend Ubuntu.
    *yawn* RTFOP.

Running FC6 as my main installation myself, and RC4 as my server. Both are pretty nice IMO.

If it's Linux you're after, which is not Unix

Shouldn't you have called it GNU/Linux? :rolleyes:

Christ. The sooner we get a name change to this forum the better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

xubuntu is great for old machines. It runs fast and has all the good features you need. Have it running on a P3 with 128mb of ram, and it flys along. Its also extremely easy to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

FreeBSD. Oops, thought for a second there this was the Unix forum.

If it's Linux you're after, which is not Unix, I recommend Ubuntu. It's easy to set up and use.

Hey, there's a Star Trek convention on just down the road! Don't forget your rubber pointy ears!

OK lads, he's gone now, we can talk in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

kubuntu or ubuntu should run fine on 256MB (I used both on an old P4 machine I had) now I use kubuntu on 1GB ram :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I myself am just starting to use ubuntu, im using it as a live cd atm until im content with using it. its nice and easy to use tbh. be prepared for reading tho, and lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

HavoK wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will have 256mb Ram.

Also probably have network card but ideally would like be able use wifi key...

I bought this NIC from dabs.com. Dead cheap but it works perfectly with Ubuntu 6.06 on an old PC. Just had to enable it [as root] last time I logged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

I'm giving Freespire a try at the minute and it seems very user friendly.

Hey, there's a Star Trek convention on just down the road! Don't forget your rubber pointy ears!

ROFL.

Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

im also looking to install linux on my new pc and have it dual boot, getting sick of mr gates and his prices, from what ive seen on the interwebulon it looks like ubuntu is the way to go, shall i start out on this one?

im also looking to install linux on my new pc and have it dual boot, getting sick of mr gates and his prices, from what ive seen on the interwebulon it looks like ubuntu is the way to go, shall i start out on this one?

try it, cant hurt :)Click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

try it, cant hurt :)Click
    thanks man but i already downloaded it :), and mandrake, need to create a partition aswell, how much space do you think i should make for linux?

probably 93mb for grub boot loader, 1gb for swap drive, and whatever you want as /home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

openSuse. 10.1,

But with 256m ram, Puppy or DSL. if you dont have an broadband then i dont reccomend (x,k)ubuntu, it doesnt give you much off the CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Mandriva 2007 is good as was Mandriva 2006, comes with a very handy control center for configuring everything and has some very nice visual tweaks. Needs >256MB though to run smoothly.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

how does ubuntu compare to Fedora? Better?

Keedowah wrote:
    how does ubuntu compare to Fedora? Better?

Depends what you're looking for. I prefer ubunutu myself. There's not gonna be a /huge/ difference between them. They're all linux in the end. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Beelzebub wrote:
    I'm giving Freespire a try at the minute and it seems very user friendly.
    Same here, its kindof a lazy mans Linux. It definitely was the easiest to set up, the install took only 10 mins, and installed absolutely everything, codecs, 3D accelerated drivers, wireless and ethernet all worked out of the box, with absolutely no effort required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I would also recommend Xubuntu. It runs like a rocket on older machines. It is a good idea to be connected on broadband to get all the updates and add ins though.

Advertisement