Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeeps

Options
  • 08-11-2006 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 TD 1998

Can I have some opinions on this make and model please?

Please give a reason why you 'like' it or 'dislike' it. Don't just shout It's crap! at me and expect me to knwo why...:o

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KELTICKNIGHTT on here has one. he'd be a good man to ask.

Oh yeah, it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I thought they were called Heep Cherokees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A mate of mine had one for a while, it was very thirsty!!

invest4deepvalue.com

apparently the 2.8 is much better than the 2.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I had a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 turbo diesel and it was a yoke of a thing. The clutch went after about 6 months, the transfer box went, the ring gear for the starter went, the back Axel and the springs pack up and it was horrible to drive. If you want a decent jeep that won't cost you an arm and a leg buy a Toyota Landcruiser, I better go now before I accused of atrocities by the boards police.:)

• Advertisement

I sold a 98 Cherokee commercial for €700 in the trade 2 months ago. 75k on it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 centrino

I have a Cherokee 2.5D for 2 years now and still a bit suspect about them to be honest.

Its a 2001 model and when I bought it it had 43000 mls on it. And still to this day I am suspect about those miles. 58000 now.

I didnt have it long when the spicer went in the drive shaft(cost 200 euro to repair) and now the clutch hydralics and front door window regulator(part cost including labour was 830 euros) went belly up. Remember not huge parts by any means.

Theres still a knocking in the engine and the garage says theres a problem with the clutch itself but am afraid to get it done because of the fear of cost. They also wanted to do a full service at a cost of 300euros, they must have thought I just fell from the skies above.

Anyway when I bought it the person told me that it recently had been serviced so there was no need to bring it to a garage and if I do and they tell me that there is a problem dont believe them!!!! Now today I know what he meant. Yeah its a pile of sh*te.

My opinion is dont go anywhere near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

centrino wrote: »
    I have a Cherokee 2.5D for 2 years now and still a bit suspect about them to be honest.

Its a 2001 model and when I bought it it had 43000 mls on it. And still to this day I am suspect about those miles. 58000 now.

I didnt have it long when the spicer went in the drive shaft(cost 200 euro to repair) and now the clutch hydralics and front door window regulator(part cost including labour was 830 euros) went belly up. Remember not huge parts by any means.

Theres still a knocking in the engine and the garage says theres a problem with the clutch itself but am afraid to get it done because of the fear of cost. They also wanted to do a full service at a cost of 300euros, they must have thought I just fell from the skies above.

Anyway when I bought it the person told me that it recently had been serviced so there was no need to bring it to a garage and if I do and they tell me that there is a problem dont believe them!!!! Now today I know what he meant. Yeah its a pile of sh*te.

My opinion is dont go anywhere near them.

+1 Dirt. Transmission problems are the main issues I've come across. But then again, I'm sure most Joes won't ever change the full tx fluids, grease the propshaft UJ's and so on, so it's hardly suprising. That's not a criticism, it's just that they're an old design and need lots of fettling to keep them running neatly. Then when something goes, it'll usually cost a few quid to put right....

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Buy a landcruiser instead. And that's coming from a landrover fan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've been looking at ones for about a year now. The father bought one on Ebay for seven hundred quid with 110k on it. Full electrics, leather trim, absolutely everything worked. Drove it back from the UK, got a full service for it, and apart from the battery going dead fairly often, it's as sweet as a nut. That's actually what's making me lean toward them.
    The only 2.5 diesels I've found are this, Land Rovers (which are always priced out of my range) and the 2.4 hilux, which is hard to find in good nick.
    I'd like a landcruiser, but the 3.0 is just too thirsty, I can't afford biggerthan a 2.5. Any other suggestions?

Land Cruisers aren't that thirsty. I find the likes of 2.5 Pajeros to be thirstier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement