Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steeeeerike!

• 08-11-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

how many of you are going to make up the picket line tomorrow? I was thinking about it, but I will probably stay my a$$ in bed. Most of my lecturers have said they will not be taking classes tomorrow.

I may take part in the strike on Tuesday if it goes ahead as I have nothing against the Canteen ladies really. they could do with being a little more mannerly tho. I mean going for a rool and having the words "what do ya want!?" barked at you followed by "MAYONAISE OR BUTTER?".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

What's this all about? For a non-DKITer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the canteen ladies are p*ssed off basically because they are going to be out of a job from outsourcing. Understandable, but most of the food you get in the canteen is sh*te, and they have no manners, if that isn't enough it's a fairly high price. I personally would like to see a Subway or Starbucks instead of what they have there. My dream is to have a Hooters bar there tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Screw them, food was muck, over priced and they'd get nasty if you didnt use those 6 foot steel tray thingies.

Is there any chance of a subsidised canteen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

The email sent to us by dennis cummins states they wont lose their jobs and that where a similar changeover happened in some other colleges no-one lost their jobs. So whats this all about?

Also, a canteen strike makes no difference to the lecturers so why are some of them saying they`re not taking classes. Any fookin excuse for a day off, its not as if they eat the slush anyway. All my lecturers said they`ll be taking classes.

So, the canteen workers are going on strike, and students are supporting them...? Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Yup, that sounds about right. Is there a strike on Tuesday too!?

yeah there is. I doubt any of my lecturers will refuse to take classes then tho.

Ah well I enjoyed the strike while it lasted (lie in until half 12)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

Is there any chance of a subsidised canteen ?

As far as I know it is subsidised. Expect prices to go up when big business comes to town. Just look at the bargains in the vending machines. :/
    Screw them, food was muck, over priced and they'd get nasty if you didnt use those 6 foot steel tray thingies.

Yep I hate it when I leave a mess behind me and someone gets onto me about it. In all fairness the '6 foot steel tray thingies' are placed throughout the canteen and its not a lot to ask for you place your tray there when finished.

I personally would like to see a Subway or Starbucks

I think this is what they should have done, introduced some competition and make some money off the big franchises. This monies made could subsidise the current canteen at least.
    a similar changeover happened in some other colleges no-one lost their jobs. So whats this all about?

Also, a canteen strike makes no difference to the lecturers so why are some of them saying they`re not taking classes. Any fookin excuse for a day off, its not as if they eat the slush anyway. All my lecturers said they`ll be taking classes.

I dont think you see the bigger picture, this is only the start. The college is in a lot debt due to the expansion and in my opinion bad management. Measures to bleed as much money are being employed. Whether it be outsourcing the canteen staff or paid parking (don’t get me started on that) these measures are being pushed through to make up for failings in other areas. The might not lose their jobs but conditions for both canteen staff and the other stakeholders in the college could be severely worsened.

An OTT example Aer Lingus staff not wanting Ryanair. Most jobs will be retained but conditions may be worse for both them and the customers. Pay for a wheelchair? enough said.

As for the lecturers I'm sure they dont want to cross a picket, nor do the caretakers... hmm caretakers... maybe they will outsource them next! I was there today and lecturers were in their office and available for students they just werent taking class. Credit as well for keeping the library open.
    they could do with being a little more mannerly tho. I mean going for a rool and having the words "what do ya want!?" barked at you followed by "MAYONAISE OR BUTTER?".

I will agree with you on this but *some* of the students could say please and thanks. Treat others they way you expect to be treated. Not questioning your manners Marts but when you dont get much thanks for what your doing you soon adopt a poor attitude.

I realise you were not taking a shot at me, but I always say please and thankyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,746 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hum. I missed that this was on, so was rightly confused when I came in & found a deserted college! :p Still, I got to take a lie-in in one of the rooms; too bad the chairs were uncomfortable :rolleyes:

But yeah, this whole situation is quite confusing. And by confusing, I mean scary confusing. I hope we don't end up having to pay big fees!*

*that would be a worst-case scenario of course

• Advertisement

Whats the expansion??? The new restrauant? Why did they need to build a new restrauant if it was gonna cause so much debt problems? Could they not just leave it as it is. Let whoever wants to use the canteens do,,, and sure anyone that doesnt(like me) use the local shops for rolls and stuff?

Did the new apartments cost the college anything or are they a sepertae expense that the government pays or something?

The vending machines are a rip-off,,, but the sweets/bars in the canteens are a crap selection. No fruit pastiles or fruit gums in the coffee dock,,, just wine gums. Buts thats more a pet hate.

I honestly think if they`d make decent rolls and have a decent little deli with editable lettice and tomatoes etc,,,, then they`d do a lot better. The food really is slush, hence why i dont eat it. But i dont see a new restrauant solving these problems cause if their food is nicer it`ll probably be dearer and hence ill still just use the local shops as will a lot of others.

So once again i question, is the new restrauant anyway helpfull?

The paid parking is a fookin joke.Thank od ill be gone out of the place in another year. Its startin to get expensive and annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Marts wrote:
    they could do with being a little more mannerly tho. I mean going for a rool and having the words "what do ya want!?" barked at you followed by "MAYONAISE OR BUTTER?".
    Sounds as if nothing has changed since I was there '98-'00.
    Is a woman aged about early 50's still working there, wears loads of make up. Jesus she was grumpy.

Ahh, the memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

Whats the expansion??? The new restrauant?

A few years ago you had to go outside to get from the main college to the MPC. No you dont. The nurses building, the hospitality section, student services, the college shop, the library and even the bar are all relatively new. The college was given a new facade, as was the development centre, the wind turbine and the upgrading planned for the Carrolls building which includes the new computing department. DKIT has gone through a huge transformation since 2000/1. Locals and people like Rabies can tell you just how the conditions have improved in DKIT.
    So once again i question, is the new restrauant anyway helpfull?

It's so easy to get a seat in the current canteen at lunchtime. :rolleyes:
    Its startin to get expensive and annoying.
    And outsourcing will correct this? Can you give a pricing comparison? “The vending machines are a rip-off”, agreed.
    Did the new apartments cost the college anything or are they a sepertae expense that the government pays or something?

A lot of the funding came from the EU and under the NDP. If I remember correctly the college took a lot of the cost for the Nursing building and not the department although the HSE were involved (I can be corrected on this). I don’t know for sure with the apartments but the college has to be attractive to students or they will simply go elsewhere and the northeast could lose a college, hospitals anyone? The college needs to offer courses in many different disciplines and the nursing is a fine example of being ahead of the game. A lesser example is the gaming course, a bold step to take with considerable risks involved. As I have said money has been wasted though, the paid parking fiasco is a prime example but hey it’s Ireland, a consultant’s wet dream.

Do you know why registration fees keep increasing? This was the one way colleges could get money. The funding from the department wasnt/isnt enough and its a way to raise some capital. Poorer South American countries invest more in education than we do. Raise capital? Lets charge for parking! It’s on a micro and macro level.
    I hope we don't end up having to pay big fees!*

The government tried to bring this in a short time ago but everyone opposed it. But as Ireland moves more to the right dont be shocked if it becomes active again.

It's so easy to get a seat in the current canteen at lunchtime.
    I refuse to eat the slush so i woldnt really know, but yeah ive been in it obviously and it can be pretty full. However is the new restrauant going to be big enough to hold the old canteen and the 1 over the mpc as i believe thats cloisng upon new yoke opening?

Did i hear the new restrauant is to hold 700 people?
    How many would the main current canteen hold do you reckon? Its fairly big, 300?

Will the coffee dock/well and such like remain open when the outsourcing or whatever is happening, happens?

I was in the Students Union today. We are planning to have a rally the next day the Canteen Ladies are having a strike. We would have had one tomorrow, but the strike was called off.

I have talked to my class already and it is a half and half vote. Basically what we are planning to do is go in one the Morning, and rally from 9:00 to 10:00. It will be made known that we are not rallying behind the Canteen Ladies, but we are rather having our own rally against Campbells taking over.

Basically what is to happen is: The Canteen will be opened to the general public, not just students. Any of you who get lunch/dinner in the canteen now know how hectic it can get. Try that 3 times worse.

Also, at the moment the canteen is a non profit group, so they charge us the bare minimum, which is understandable considiring we are students, ergo we are pennyless. If Campbells do take over they will be looking for a profit, meaning prices will go up.

One member of the union said he was in NUI last year, and the canteen there is run by Campbells. He said the prices are double what you pay here, and nearly half the portion size.

On top of the rally we are planning to inform Campbells that we will boycott them. This is not a confirmed form of action.

If there is enough chatter on the topic of what's to come I will start a dedicated thread. Let me know what you all think.

Do Campbells in NUI have a decent deli do you know?

Marts wrote:
    Basically what is to happen is: The Canteen will be opened to the general public, not just students. Any of you who get lunch/dinner in the canteen now know how hectic it can get. Try that 3 times worse.
    I don't think a group of the general public twice the size of the current clientèle is going to descend on DKIT for their lunch!

right, well ye have been warned, don't come crying to me when you can't get any beans because all the Joe Sweatsocks got them before ya

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kuzmanovic

will there be another strike upcoming for the one that was put off?

none that I have heard of

• Advertisement
Advertisement