Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pcsmart.ie

• 08-11-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just about to purchase a high spec laptop from pcsmart on Capel Street.

http://www.pcsmart.ie/product.php?intProductID=810

They don't keep stock, so they order it in and they'll have it for me in 3-4 days. They say that they only take cash, and it has to be paid for before ordering.

So obviously I would like to hear of ye're experience with the store before I commit as I would like to mind my hard-earned money!! I don't want to end up gettin stuck if the company goes bust/goes missing!!. I suppose i'm just thinking about the worst case scenario!!

...and would it be so bad if I said to them that i'd pay a deposit of half, and then remainder when it is in the store??

Before you all respond, i'm not rippin the sh**e outta pcsmart, i've never used them before, and i'd be the same way with any store with the same policy.

Thanks very much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

thats very cheap, does it include VAT ?

Only accepting cash sounds a bit dodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, I would run a mile.

Only taking cash sounds too similar to only accepting Western Union Money Transfer.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

grahamor wrote:
    thats very cheap, does it include VAT ?

Yes, it doesn't say much on the website, but I got a leaflet from them which states that it does include VAT.

tom dunne wrote:
    Personally, I would run a mile.

Only taking cash sounds too similar to only accepting Western Union Money Transfer.

Just my opinion.

That's ok I do appreciate your honesty, it is a very good price....maybe too good to be true.

Has anyone had any experiences with the place..good or bad??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My final word on the matter - similar spec machine, almost €200 cheaper.

To be fair to PCSmart, wait until you actually get some feedback from someone who has used them before purchasing. Don't rely on an old sceptic like me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

They don't keep stock, so they order it in and they'll have it for me in 3-4 days. They say that they only take cash, and it has to be paid for before ordering.

Arse to that, the whole idea of a retail store is that you walk in, pay and walk out with your goods. Instant gratification. If its a special order then fair enough, but Acer aren't exactly uncommon!

• Advertisement

Arse to that, the whole idea of a retail store is that you walk in, pay and walk out with your goods. Instant gratification. If its a special order then fair enough, but Acer aren't exactly uncommon!

Yup, I agree!!
    They said to me that it is the way they operate. I asked if they could show me a display model, they said they don't hold stock for any laptops and it was basicly no-can-do. For me that seems to ring some alarm bells.... CASH-FLOW PROBLEMS! The thought of me paying over and getting nothing for a few days seems fishy, what if they went under while the order was going through??...I doubt i'd see my money again!!

tom dunne wrote:
    My final word on the matter - similar spec machine, almost €200 cheaper.

To be fair to PCSmart, wait until you actually get some feedback from someone who has used them before purchasing. Don't rely on an old sceptic like me. :)

That PC seems pretty good. Not to sound ungrateful but i'd prefer a physical store i could walk into, try a demo model, check the weight of it(in my hand!), and then make a more informed decision. Does anyone know of any good shops in the Dublin area besides the obvious Dixons and Pc World that have good deals at the mo? It's quite urgent as i've got quite a bit of Web-development work to complete, and this laptop is really starting to calf on me.

Thanks again, you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

did you go into the shop ? looks dodge to me - i was lookin for a laptop a while ago and went in, seemed unshop-like and sent alarm bells ringing for me

i nearly always buy online, many reputable dealers around here and in the uk that can do next day delivery and often have cheaper prices

mark

marktsang wrote:
    did you go into the shop ? looks dodge to me - i was lookin for a laptop a while ago and went in, seemed unshop-like and sent alarm bells ringing for me

i nearly always buy online, many reputable dealers around here and in the uk that can do next day delivery and often have cheaper prices

mark

Well, im a student and saving a bit of money is what i'm after, so to be honest no matter how shabby the shop looked, I was prepared to buy today. It was only when I was after asking him about it and about to pay over that he mentioned the having to order it in. It defo seems unshop-like and looks like it should only be selling blank cds!! He sorta glared at me when I decided against handing over the dough!!

So, where did you end up buying your laptop at the end of the day Mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

beyond2000 on clarendon row beside (now sadly burnt) mao

laptopshop 3rd floor stephen's green shopping centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

i got mine online at digiuk.co.uk, friendly helpful staff and good prices - mine will arrive tomorrow i hope but seems a good place to shop, heard some bad stuff about laptops direct (where i was originally going to buy) so i gave them a miss

i got a samsung q35 12" for 1515 euro including next day delivery to Eire

mark

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of the helpful advice guys!
    ...and again, if anyone has bought from pcsmart.ie can they please share their experience???

Right now i'm checking out elara.ie, has anyone purchased from them before??

much appreciated
    Thanks again
    Eoin

Advertisement