Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

irishspeedtraps.com

Options
  • 08-11-2006 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Lads,

was just sent a link to www.irishspeedtraps.com. Does what it says in the tin, a list of the speed trap locations in Ireland. You can search by county and road. Could be useful!

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find what works is to keep within the posted limit;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It will be very handy to know once the speedcamaras start going up around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

junkyard wrote:
    It will be very handy to know once the speedcamaras start going up around the place.
    In the meantime, however, we have mobile traps. As far as I can see, the only defence against those (apart from not speeding) is a good laser jammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Would be nice if the GPS maps got updated with trap locations also too here like the UK versions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Anan1 wrote:
    In the meantime, however, we have mobile traps. As far as I can see, the only defence against those (apart from not speeding) is a good laser jammer.
    yes thats the only way around it.will the jamme work on both fixed and mobile speed cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

As we are on the subject of avoiding detection by the Gardai !

Years ago motorists used to flash headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap. I have not seen it done for years. Don't you just long for those good old days when motorists showed each other such kindly consideration !

By the way was it ever an offence to flash headlights for this purpose ? Maybe I am thinking of another country but I thought that this type of thing was classified as frustrating a prosecution or was it frustrating a policemen ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote:

Years ago motorists used to flash headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap. I have not seen it done for years. Don't you just long for those good old days when motorists showed each other such kindly consideration !

By the way was it ever an offence to flash headlights for this purpose ? Maybe I am thinking of another country but I thought that this type of thing was classified as frustrating a prosecution or was it frustrating a policemen ?

no its happened to me recently, i was driving in shankill and over 5 different cars flashed the the on coming side to warn them of gaurds up ahead with a speed gun.they were really good to do that as its a blind spot beside the church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

NUTLEY BOY wrote:

I remember hearing stories of Guards stopping people further down the road from a speec trap and charging them for flashing their headlights. I think it came under dangerous driving or some silly charge like that. Think that's why people stopped doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

NUTLEY BOY wrote:

Got a flash on sunday on the N11(southbound) by a nice person in a jeep. Gardai with gun just after the new exit for Greystones(i think)where the road works are atm.You can't even see them till it's too late so be warned. Slowed down in time:D but they had there hands full with 3 other cars pulled over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    yes thats the only way around it.will the jamme work on both fixed and mobile speed cameras
    AFAIK, cameras use radar whereas mobile patrols (ie a Guard with a gun) use laser. A radar detector is fine against radar as you get loads of warning, but only a laser jammer will protect you against laser.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Good find on that site, I've updated a few.
    few more to go:rolleyes:
    The more people that use it the better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How about we just accept that speed limits are usually there for a reason ( not in all cases) and maybe speed traps are one way of getting people to think about slowing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They sometimes have a car either end of a speedtrap to catch people flashing their lights. far as I know, it's just a bollocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is this thread developing into a guide on how to speed and avoid detection?

Do we not all want to reduce road deaths and other accidents that are caused as a result of speeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Longfield wrote:
    Would be nice if the GPS maps got updated with trap locations also too here like the UK versions.

Unfortunately, illegal in this country. As is the website. As, indeed, is "flashing" oncoming traffic to warn them of an upcoming "Speed Trap" - all under the same legislation - obstructing a Garda in the course of his duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The website needs a bit of work. Illegal or not. It has some coding issues. This amateur needs to fully test his website before making public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

crosstownk wrote:
    Is this thread developing into a guide on how to speed and avoid detection?

Do we not all want to reduce road deaths and other accidents that are caused as a result of speeding?

I dont see anything wrong with cars flashing lights as a warning, it makes traffic slow down, which is the point.

So what if the Guards are losing revenue; saw them out on the duel carraigeway from Shannon to Limerick where it goes from 100 to 60 last week getting the old ticket quotes up I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

testicle wrote:
    Unfortunately, illegal in this country. As is the website. As, indeed, is "flashing" oncoming traffic to warn them of an upcoming "Speed Trap" - all under the same legislation - obstructing a Garda in the course of his duties.

I assume a website informing people where fixed speed cameras are, is not obstructing a Garda in the course of his duties, since there is no gardai performing a duty. If that wasn't the case, would the signposts indicating that there are speed cameras ahead not also be illegal. I thought the idea of speed cameras (fixed ones) was to make people aware of them and slow down in particular areas/accident blackspots.

In the case of the website detailing where mobile speed traps are normally located, I'd like to see that one going to court. If its aginst the law to say publicly that the gardai are normally checking for speed in a particlar location, well then I think a lot of us are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

We should just do this!

http://www.speedbandits.dk/

:D

• Advertisement

Mojito wrote:
    We should just do this!

http://www.speedbandits.dk/

:D
    the server is down for maintance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

It's attitudes like yours that cause accidents like this

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1109/rta.html

I came on this accident a few minutes after it happened last night and it has to be the most gut wrenching thing I've ever witnessed. The car in which the 3 young lads were killed overtook me coming up to a bend at ridiculously high speed about 10 minutes before I came on the accident. Until attitudes towards speed change, this kind of thing will continue to happen again and again and again. The speed cameras are there for a reason, and a website that promotes there whereabouts in an effort to dodge them is in my opinion, wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

It's attitudes like yours that cause accidents like this

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1109/rta.html

I came on this accident a few minutes after it happened last night and it has to be the most gut wrenching thing I've ever witnessed. The car in which the 3 young lads were killed overtook me coming up to a bend at ridiculously high speed about 10 minutes before I came on the accident. Until attitudes towards speed change, this kind of thing will continue to happen again and again and again. The speed cameras are there for a reason, and a website that promotes there whereabouts in an effort to dodge them is in my opinion, wrong.
    And how do you think this is linked to speeding? From your account they were overtaking on or coming up to bends. According to the news report they were involved in a head on collision. Nothing to do with speed really. If you were only doing 60kmph and hit someone head on you would be in serious trouble.

CK.1 wrote:
    And how do you think this is linked to speeding? From your account they were overtaking on or coming up to bends. According to the news report they were involved in a head on collision. Nothing to do with speed really. If you were only doing 60kmph and hit someone head on you would be in serious trouble.

If you read my post again, you'll see that I said they overtook me at a ridiculously high speed coming up to a bend.

If you're wondering whether or not there was speed involved, figure this - the pickup only had damage to its passenger side (which is coroborated by the fact that the only one uninjured was the pickup driver); the car, which was in a wall, still had the light on the driver side working which would indicate that they hit the pickup also on the passenger side. By elimination, my guess would be, and it's only a guess, that they were overtaking, probably at high speed, realised they couldn't get back in in time and tried (in vain) to make it to the grass verge on the right hand side of the road. If you saw the state of the car, believe me you would not have guessed that it was anything as big as a Mitsubishi Lancer. It looked more like a Corsa.

My point is, that if they were prepared to overtake me at close to 70 mph within 100 yards of a bend, I would be of the thinking that on a straight stretch of road, which is where the accident happened, they would be well capable of doing higher speeds than that.

Can I ask you 1 question CK.1, in your opinion, is it acceptable to do speeds in excess of the stated speed limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Lets hope when these speed cameras do get rolled out, that they concentrate on the country roads where these deaths are happening & not just to generate revenue on the M1, M50 or other motorway/dual carraigeways with low crashes resulting in death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

AlanD wrote:
    The website needs a bit of work. Illegal or not. It has some coding issues. This amateur needs to fully test his website before making public.
    It's also ideal for a Google Maps mashup.

I prefer Pumps.ie to IrishFuelPrices.com because the former uses Google Maps. There is no ambiguity about the location when you see it on the map (picture, 1000 words and all that).

threebeards, do you not think that dangerous overtaking is the real cause of this accident? Sure they were speeding, and that is wrong as well, but the real reason they crashed is they overtook when they couldn't see if traffic was coming from the opposite direction.

In answer to your question I think acceptable to do speeds in excess of the stated speed limits in certain circumstances.

That pumps.ie is really cool, good find!

CK.1 wrote:
    threebeards, do you not think that dangerous overtaking is the real cause of this accident?

I think it was probably partly the cause.
    CK.1 wrote:
    Sure they were speeding, and that is wrong as well, but the real reason they crashed is they overtook when they couldn't see if traffic was coming from the opposite direction.

The stretch of road in question is as straight as a die for probably upwards of a mile or maybe even more, so with clear conditions last night, I fail to see how they couldn't see if traffic was coming. It's the busiest time of the evening and about 2 miles from a decent sized town, of course there's going to be traffic.

CK.1 wrote:
    In answer to your question I think acceptable to do speeds in excess of the stated speed limits in certain circumstances.

As long as people think this, there are always going to be accidents, serious accidents. I have no intention or interest in getting into the "what if's" of last nights or any other accident - all I'm saying is, in my opinion it was speed that was the main contributor, it's speed that's the main contributor to many (not all) serious or fatal accidents, and it's speed, in high powered cars, by inexperienced young drivers, mainly male that's going to continue to cause many accidents. The reason I brought it up in this thread is because speed cameras are in place for a reason - to try and reduce speed.

When the penalty points system was first introduced, the level of road deaths decreased significantly, because people were conscious of their speed and by slowing down, the level of deaths was also down. This is no coincidence in my opinion.

• Advertisement

threebeards, so why do the majority of speed traps seem to be on motorways and dual carriageways such as the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway, Tallaght By-Pass, M50, etc etc?

Advertisement