Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

irishspeedtraps.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

CK.1 wrote:
    threebeards, so why do the majority of speed traps seem to be on motorways and dual carriageways such as the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway, Tallaght By-Pass, M50, etc etc?

I think its because they're there..
    Keith C wrote:
    to generate revenue on the M1, M50 or other motorway/dual carraigeways

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

If you read my post again, you'll see that I said they overtook me at a ridiculously high speed coming up to a bend.

If you're wondering whether or not there was speed involved, figure this - the pickup only had damage to its passenger side (which is coroborated by the fact that the only one uninjured was the pickup driver); the car, which was in a wall, still had the light on the driver side working which would indicate that they hit the pickup also on the passenger side. By elimination, my guess would be, and it's only a guess, that they were overtaking, probably at high speed, realised they couldn't get back in in time and tried (in vain) to make it to the grass verge on the right hand side of the road. If you saw the state of the car, believe me you would not have guessed that it was anything as big as a Mitsubishi Lancer. It looked more like a Corsa.

My point is, that if they were prepared to overtake me at close to 70 mph within 100 yards of a bend, I would be of the thinking that on a straight stretch of road, which is where the accident happened, they would be well capable of doing higher speeds than that.

Can I ask you 1 question CK.1, in your opinion, is it acceptable to do speeds in excess of the stated speed limits?

probably not a good idea to speculate unless you actually witnessed the accident as the gardai are still investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

probably not a good idea to speculate unless you actually witnessed the accident as the gardai are still investigating.

Fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

crosstownk wrote:
    Is this thread developing into a guide on how to speed and avoid detection?

Do we not all want to reduce road deaths and other accidents that are caused as a result of speeding?

o.k.

Stillorgan Duel Carriageway 60kmph speed limit, genious who ever came up with that.....

Small windy country road on the way to tullamore, 100kmph speed limit, genious who ever came up with that.

M50 from Sandyford to Tallaght 100kmph, genius again!

From Johnny Foxes to Enniskerry windy death trap of a road, I saw a sign post recently for 60kmph, einsteins!

I'm all up for reducing road deaths and the enforcement of speed limits in this country however as they are currently structured is beyond a piss take.

Speed limits should be set according to recorded statistics on said stretches of roads, not on what some civil servant genius feels is the correct speed limit.

I may be wrong in what I said above, i'm not entirely sure how speed limits are set in this country? One thing for sure, is that to date, they've have clearly demonstrated they have no clue how and why x speed limit should be enforced on said stretches of road.

How many Deaths have their been on the Stillorgan Duel Carriageway over the past 5 years?

How many deaths have there been on Sandyford - firhouse m50 stretch since it's opening?

end rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

By elimination, my guess would be, and it's only a guess, that they were overtaking, probably at high speed, realised they couldn't get back in in time and tried (in vain) to make it to the grass verge on the right hand side of the road.

So if they couldn't get back in time, obviously they weren't going fast enough... :eek:

There is NO such thing as a safe speed on the wrong side of the road with traffic approaching. It wasn't the speed that killed them, it was dangerous overtaking.

What you are describing is dangerous driving and speed cameras are useless against it, only proper policing can deal with it. However speed cameras are a quick and easy way of generating lots of revenue, police patrols cost money... Also a telling off from a Garda (with or without a ticket) is much more effective at influencing attitudes and behaviour than a ticket in the post.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Samba wrote:
    How many Deaths have their been on the Stillorgan Duel Carriageway over the past 5 years?

1. It's Dual, not Duel. Duelling is what gentlemen do at dawn.

2. http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=732268&issue_id=7231

3. There's traffic lights every couple of hundred yards on it.

4. http://www.greenparty.ie/en/campaigns/pedestrian_safety_on_the_stillorgan_dual_carriageway (No I don't support the Greens)

5. http://wwa.rte.ie/news/2000/0514/bus.html

6. http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1108/rta.html

7. http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/1028/print/charleville.html

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

ITs perfectly fine to go over the speed limits and I'll tell you why. Most of the speed limits are a complete joke. Take Trim to Blanchardstown, very wide road. Not many bends. Perfectly safe to go 100km at least there. The speed limit is 80km.

Now take delvin to Mullingar a road I travel on everyday. Its narrow, horrible bends. Only one or two straight parts where you would safely go over 80km. And the speed limit is 100km. The speed limits are messed up in this country.

As long as drivers use common sence. Ie overtaking on a bend is very stupid. Never mind at what speed. Anyone doing that is sooner or later going to end up dead. Its just wreckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

the first time i drove mulligar to delvin... what a misleading speed limit!!
    there are corers there i wouldnd go around at 60!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    As we are on the subject of avoiding detection by the Gardai !

Years ago motorists used to flash headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap. I have not seen it done for years. Don't you just long for those good old days when motorists showed each other such kindly consideration !

Funny you should say that, I still find it quiet prominent and I always try to return the favour if Im going in the opposite direction.

Truck driver flashed me outside Gorey a few months back and hey presto there was a copper in a ditch about 3/4 mile up the road, never would have seen him. Quality ;)

testicle wrote:

I'm amazed, being such a pedant, as to outline an error in the spelling of a word, you failed to address my point in relation to the M50, that is what pedants do so be a good pedant and elaborate on the correctness of said speed limits along the stretch of road from Sandyford to Tallaght.

I'll accept those articles and points in relation to the Stillorgan DUAL carriageway and I clearly understand why they are there, however you have failed to see the point I was making, which is in relation to speed limits on some lethal roads in rural regions which are an utter disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They are limits, not targets. Just because the limit on a country lane may be 80kph, doesn't mean you have to drive at 80kph.

As for the M50. I have been led to believe that the reason for the 100kph between Firhouse and Ballinteer (not Sandyford as you stated) is due to a combination of the bends in the road, and the possibility of deer on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The estate where I live has 5km/hr speed limit signs posted around it. I wonder if the speed limit applies to pedestrians, I'd hate to break the law by going for a jog :)

testicle wrote:
    They are limits, not targets. Just because the limit on a country lane may be 80kph, doesn't mean you have to drive at 80kph.

As for the M50. I have been led to believe that the reason for the 100kph between Firhouse and Ballinteer (not Sandyford as you stated) is due to a combination of the bends in the road, and the possibility of deer on the motorway.

Try 100kmph. and try doing 50kmph on your average country road with a string of local cars behind you....

And what you have stated is totally irrelevant, the fact is, one is allowed to do speeds of up to 100kmph on what are effectively very dangerous roads.

In contrast what is effectively a very safe stretch of road, the limit is also 100kmph.

Double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

M50 reduced speed limit............... FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

daymobrew wrote:
    It's also ideal for a Google Maps mashup.

I prefer Pumps.ie to IrishFuelPrices.com because the former uses Google Maps. There is no ambiguity about the location when you see it on the map (picture, 1000 words and all that).

Google Maps functionality is currently being added and should be online soon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

I drive for a living and within 18months I was done for speeding 4 times.

The fastest speed I was doing was 41mph.

ALL of the locations were 30mph dual carraigeways.

Luckily this was before the penalty points came in, if it was more recent I would now be out of a job... Anyone who tries to defend these 'offences' as being crucial in the WAR ON SPEED I would think is naive and stupid in the extreme.

Great idea for a website IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

Lads,

just to let you know there is now a mobile version of the site which you can access from your mobile phone/pda/etc

www.irishspeedtraps.com/m

mobilebanner.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not a lot of use if there is only 1 trap listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

You can't even see them till it's too late so be warned.

Yea they setup just after a bend so even if you have one of the many "scanners" available its too late.. they have you as you come around..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

crosstownk wrote:

Do we not all want to reduce road deaths and other accidents that are caused as a result of speeding?

Without dragging up an old arguement, do you really think when the gardai are putting speed checks on some of the best and safest roads in the country that they are trying to prevent road deaths rather than filling quotes a la shooting fish in a barrel? The only good these traps are doing is generating revenue.

Now placing a speed trap on a road that might actually warrant it thats a different story, but then again doing something like that would make too much sense.

• Advertisement

Treebeard the point of speed cameras imo is to stop people speeding in the areas they are situated in however wrongly placed by the gardai they are. Now if a website is set up outlining the locations of the cameras the only way to avoid a fine is to slow down to the speed limit when passing the cameras which is what the camera is there for. Would you prefer people to speed past the camera location dangerously and get a fine or not speed at all and avoid the fine using prior knowledge of the location of the camera?

Anyone who has lived in the uk will tell you that 80% of cameras are located in approriate areas (schools, built up areas etc.) and that there is adequate signage to notify drivers that they approach an area with a speed camera present in essense getting them to slow down rather than as is the case here building revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Bond-007 wrote:
    Not a lot of use if there is only 1 trap listed.
    I get a lot more than one listed.

It doesn't matter whether or not YOU think the limits are right or wrong - just adhere to them. If you've got a problem with the limits then talk to your local authority representative and see if they can be reduced/increased. In the meantime, abide by the posted limit - you'll find it a major factor in dodging penalty points - and maybe it'll contribute to the current downward trend of deaths due to RTAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It doesn't matter whether or not YOU think the limits are right or wrong - just adhere to them
    Nor is it within YOUR rights to tell users of a public forum what they should or sholdn't be doing. Some people speed, some excessively, just because you do speed occasionally doesn't automatically mean you are contributing to road death.
    current downward trend
    A drop from last year does not constitute a trend. More pertinently how do you know 100% which of these were caused by speed?

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/cheetahsent.htm

Yeah, whatever. Fair enough, one year is not a trend, but a few initiatives have been put put in place which may have contibuted to the reduced road deaths this year.

Year on year there is increased awareness of the hazards of driving, and most importantly, those that contribute to road deaths - tiredness, speed, drink driving, wreckless behaviour, etc, etc. The public and the politicians have made their case on numerous occasions, and changes are afoot - albeit very slowly. But, in the meantime, lets all abide by the current laws that are in force.

And I'm not telling users of a public forum what they should and shouldn't be doing. I am merely advising them how best to avoid penalty points, while at the same time keeping within the law.

And I'm not out for an argument - I'm just simply stating my points of view and any relevant advice I may have to offer as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

crosstownk wrote:
    I am merely advising them how best to avoid penalty points, while at the same time keeping within the law.

How best to avoid penalty points;

On a long, straight, wide, well surfaced stretch of road,on a quiet day with light traffic, note and keep to within 110% of the speed limit!

How best to avoid an accident;

On any other road, watch and read the road and ignore your speedometer and the posted limit! If you have any driving ability you'll be fine.

I have a "high powered" car and abiding by these simple rules I've never had an accident or a ticket!

The sooner knee-jerk political reactions to headlines with "carnage" in them are thought out properly!!, the sooner deaths will decrease. This starts with proper driver training!! This can't be achieved overnight, and certainly cannot be achieved before the next general election so will not happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

crosstownk wrote:

Yes, but I believe you will find most speed traps are on the safest roads. Making them a revenue generation golden cow and also a handy way for the guards to say they have caught however many drivers speeding. Catching people driving at a safe speed for the car/road/conditions but 5mph over a limit set by the county council is not the way to reduce deaths.

@Crosstownk-would you prefer people to know where a speed trap is, slow down to below the speed limit and drive past safely? Or would you prefer them to speed by it wrecklessly and take the fine and points afterwards? The former is surely the safest is it not? After all the idea behind speed cameras is to get people to obey the speed limits especially in areas that require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cpoh1 wrote:
    After all the idea behind speed cameras is to get people to obey the speed limits especially in areas that require it.

Interesting point.

If the reason for speed cameras was to get drivers to obey the limit, then nobody including the authorities could possibly object to publicising their locations. In some countries e.g. France the government does exactly this.

But if the reason for the cameras isn't to change behaviour but to collect fines and generate stats for PR purposes, then keep putting them in safe locations and keep those locations a secret.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Just to let everyone know you can now view the locations of speed cameras on a Google map on the site. Hope you find it useful...

Advertisement