Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

irishspeedtraps.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is it possible to get these locations saved as IP's so that my garmin can warn me of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

kikel wrote:
    AFAIK Discussion of illegal items is forbidden on Boards. Not that i could help anyway.

Drugs are also illegal yet it's not illegal to speak about them Dude...
    No differance really.

Bluefoam wrote:
    Is it possible to get these locations saved as IP's so that my garmin can warn me of them?

Of course you can lad, that what I do and 100's of other people do also...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just to let everyone know you can now view the locations of speed cameras on a Google map on the site. Hope you find it useful...

Without having to trawl through the full map on the site, do you have a list of them as GPS locations?

I just got a TomTom and have started building a POI Category of cameras I am aware of that I get the TomTom to beep me when I'm about 750m from them.
    Its very handy to remind me of what speed limit I'm in and very easy to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Without having to trawl through the full map on the site, do you have a list of them as GPS locations?

Will be making these available within the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

excellent...this will be a great service when available

I'll keep an eye on the site for them

I drove to/from Cork yesterday and before I left I put in a few places I had seen mobile speed traps on my previous trips on the map as POI's. Sure as I got within 750m of them, it started beeping at me to watch my speed.

I also downloaded the full list of cams in the UK and also have them set to warn me in advance. When I'm in the UK or up North it keeps my speed in check in built up areas.

I like your site very much, are you charging for these downloads?

I like your site very much, are you charging for these downloads?
    Thanks. Unfortunatly we will have to charge for the downloads. The site can't cope with the number of visitors and we have to move to dedicated hosting which is expensive to say the least!

Thanks. Unfortunatly we will have to charge for the downloads. The site can't cope with the number of visitors and we have to move to dedicated hosting which is expensive to say the least!

I dont mind paying a few notes for somthing like this provided the co ordinates are reasonably accurate and not miles of the chart haha! It's
    somthing I have been waiting for for a long time anyways. Best wishes with it!

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 corkcab

hi Folks,

I also wouldnt mind paying for the info, but I would also like any info on lasers/radar.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How about putting up a gallery of car smashes caused by speeding drivers and a list of deaths/ages of victims of speeding. I lost a brother to a speeding driver and it f@@king sickens me to see your website promoting speeding by giving the locations of speed cameras. I hope you enjoy your blood money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

promoting speeding by giving the locations of speed cameras.

How is it promoting speeding?
    If you know the speed camera is there you will slow down, therefore the camera is doing what its meant to do. Its a deterent for speeding not for collecting revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

want2play wrote:
    If you know the speed camera is there you will slow down, therefore the camera is doing what its meant to do. Its a deterent for speeding not for collecting revenue.

You could argue the toss the other way - What if you know there is'nt a speed camera around the next corner - do you ignore the speed limit? (Not getting @ you, want2play - just making an observation)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are still mobile cameras to look out for even when you know where the fixed cameras are. Widely publicised fixed cameras are good as a quick fix for blackspots. No point in having a hidden camera that does nothing to increase safety in a spot but "brings in loads in fixed fines and makes our enforcement stats look good".

DonJose wrote:
    How about putting up a gallery of car smashes caused by speeding drivers and a list of deaths/ages of victims of speeding. I lost a brother to a speeding driver and it f@@king sickens me to see your website promoting speeding by giving the locations of speed cameras. I hope you enjoy your blood money.
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. We are not encouraging speeding, we are campaigning for speed cameras to be placed in areas of high accidents, not on the safest roads which is where they are at the moment.

There police in the UK themselves publicise the locations of their speed cameras, do you think they are also promoting speeding by doing this?

http://www.northants.police.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=2123

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/safetycameras/pg_camera_locations.htm

http://www.tayside.police.uk/roads_cameras.php?ref=1161971690

BTW, we have not made any money from this site, in fact we are running it at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

DonJose wrote:

With all due respect you are lashing out wrongly, at the wrong person. It has been debated time and again and proven that most speed cameras do not achieve any reduction in dangerous driving.

Please use an open mind to the website and recognise it for what is it.

My deepest sympathies to you on your loss, however your brother was the victim of dangerous driving. It's far too easy to use the label of "speeding" when the only definition of "speeding" is one's speedometer exceeding a number decided by some engineer or politician.

One could be very simplistic and decide "speed" was a factor in 100% of all Road Traffic accidents/incidents. If one slowed down the participants in all crashes then nobody would ever be hurt or killed. If one was to put up a list of RTA victims, due to "speeding" then just put a list of every victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

DonJose wrote:
    I am very sorry to hear of your loss, but give him a break. I realise that speeding is an emotive subject for you but accusing this guy of collecting “blood money” is a bit OTT.

Several other countries have publicise the location of speed cameras. The French government have a website for it.

If you want to kick off at someone for this try someone that could do something about it but doesn’t, like the government for example. The Irish government are happy collecting money from speeding fines and paying lip service to road safety. The whole fcuking thing is a disgrace. The way cameras are run in Ireland and the way the government mouths off about speeding is a disgrace. Speed is not the biggest contributor to road accidents or death. The RSA’s own figure but it as a fact is 12% of incidents.

Speeding in and of itself is not necessarily dangerous. Doing 130 on the motorway will not instantly result in death. Speed is being made a scapegoat by a government too lazy or incompetent to actually do anything about road deaths. It is very handy because they can spout crap, which people believe, and then tell people we are doing something about it. What are they doing about it? Generating fcuking money, that’s what.

If they actually cared about or want to reduce road deaths they would completely overhaul the way the cameras are operated in this country. Plenty of poster, myself included, have posted ways in which cameras could be used more effectively to reduce death rather than collect money.

I appreciate that your opinions are coloured by your experiences, and please believe me, you have my deepest sympathies, but you anger is misplaced in this case.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

we are campaigning for speed cameras to be placed in areas of high accidents, not on the safest roads which is where they are at the moment.

If you really wanted to make the roads safer you would highlight the black spots and high accident areas instead of divulging the location of speed cameras. I disagree with your claim of not encouraging speeding, your website is basically telling visitors where they can speed because no speed cameras exist and where to slow down and avoid pentalty points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We are not encouraging speeding, we are campaigning for speed cameras to be placed in areas of high accidents, not on the safest roads which is where they are at the moment.

Horsesh*t! You only have to look at the site to see it is being used to warn motorists of speedchecks, so they will slow down just to avoid being caught and will not change their habits one bit. Slowing down because you heard of a speedtrap is not achieving anything, as you will continue to speed when you know you'll not get caught. You speed through this road or that road every evening but because there is a warning of a trap you take it easy for a few hundred yards today and go about your merry way. Who do you think you are fooling? Campaigning to have cameras in the right place is commendable but warning speeding drivers of a chance they'll get caught is not. The speed limit is the speed limit and you, and nobody else out there, has the right to say they can safely drive in excess of that limit. I thankfully didn't lose a loved one to a speeding motorist but someone very dear to me was severly injured and will carry the damage with them all their lives and this was due to a speeding driver who "knew the road" and was cocky enough to think it could be driven at speeds in excess of the limit.

As for
    Golferx wrote:
    It's far too easy to use the label of "speeding" when the only definition of "speeding" is one's speedometer exceeding a number decided by some engineer or politician.
    That just takes the biscuit! What do you want? That every individual decides what speed he/she can safely push it to; in their own unbiased opinions? Thats one of the best laughs I've had in ages. I've sent the quote to a few people who could not believe it was serious.

DonJose wrote:
    If you really wanted to make the roads safer you would highlight the black spots and high accident areas instead of divulging the location of speed cameras.
    We are actually working on adding that at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion.
    DonJose wrote:
    I disagree with your claim of not encouraging speeding, your website is basically telling visitors where they can speed because no speed cameras exist and where to slow down and avoid pentalty points.
    So do you think the official UK police sites I linked to above are doing the same?

• Advertisement

@ IrishSpeedTraps
    Garda "Gatso" vans equipped with speed detection devices parked on central medians, footpaths and cycle lanes (and causing a safety risk themselves) with the only motive of generating revenue for the Government are not the answer to improving safety on our roads.
    We believe the location of speed traps is influenced not with the aim of improving road safety but merely to generate additional revenue for the Government.

Have you any figures on the amount of revenue collected for the government through the usage of speed traps, on an annual basis?

This "money making racket" routine is wearing a bit thin and doesn't hold water. The revenues from speeding penalties do not come anywhere near covering the cost of the policing involved. That attitude is just nonsense spouted by people who want to be able to break the speedlimit (and the law) as it suits them and to define the speedlimits for themselves.

Oh and warning of mobile units on dangerous stretches of road is not campaigning. I am aware of a dangerous area where a couple of individuals were driving at risky speeds each day at around 6pm. The guards finally came with a mobile unit following complaints by locals and what happens? - that irresponsible site posted a warning! Now come on! Why??

Horsesh*t! You only have to look at the site to see it is being used to warn motorists of speedchecks, so they will slow down just to avoid being caught and will not change their habits one bit. Slowing down because you heard of a speedtrap is not achieving anything, as you will continue to speed when you know you'll not get caught.
    It does achieve something. It causes the driver to slow down in the area where he believes there is a camera. I thought that was quite obvious and most people would be able to get their heads around it.
    You speed through this road or that road every evening but because there is a warning of a trap you take it easy for a few hundred yards today and go about your merry way. Who do you think you are fooling?
    IN the vast majority of cases a little bit of extra speeding is not a problem. He is not trying to fool anyone. The people trying to do the fooling is the government, and it appears they have managed to fool you.
    Campaigning to have cameras in the right place is commendable but warning speeding drivers of a chance they'll get caught is not.
    Speed cameras in the right place is essential if we want to reduce casualties on the roads. Nailing people doing 130 on the M1 does not reduce road deaths, and anyone who thinks it does is an idiot.
    The speed limit is the speed limit and you, and nobody else out there, has the right to say they can safely drive in excess of that limit.
    I agree that there have to be limits actually. I do not have a problem with limits, per se, though I do have a problem with how they are enforced and with revenue generation be tarted up as road safety. As long as the public continue to believe the bullsh1t being spouted by the government and fail to see that the assertion that speeding drivers are an evil curse and the cause of the majority of deaths on the road is not correct, the government can continue on it’s merry way of doing sweet fcuk all to improve things. It is a cop out on their part and people like you allow it to continue.
    I thankfully didn't lose a loved one to a speeding motorist but someone very dear to me was severly injured and will carry the damage with them all their lives and this was due to a speeding driver who "knew the road" and was cocky enough to think it could be driven at speeds in excess of the limit.
    I am sorry to hear this. What kind of a road was it? I think it is safe to say that quite a lot of the incidents we see on our roads happen at speed below the limit for the particular road the incident occurred on. It is very possible that speed could be a contributing factor in an incident where the actual limit for the road was nor exceeded. This is where the term “inappropriate” speed come in. I tend to argue that it is inappropriate speed and not speed in general is the killer. For example, on the M1 in heavy fog the speed limit is still 120. The appropriate speed might only be 50. A camera will not catch someone doing 120. Should that person cause an incident speed could be said to be a factor but he was not “speeding.”

Another example is twisty country roads. Sticking to the speed limit is of little use if the safe cornering speed is 30.

The issue of road safety and speeding is a complex one that cannot simply be summed up by “speeding is bad.” The government would like you to think that it is but it simply isn’t.

[FONT=&quot]MrP

[/FONT]

This "money making racket" routine is wearing a bit thin and doesn't hold water. The revenues from speeding penalties do not come anywhere near covering the cost of the policing involved.
    I have actually been wondering about this myself, but was unable to find any figures. Can you post the figures up please?

That attitude is just nonsense spouted by people who want to be able to break the speedlimit (and the law) as it suits them and to define the speedlimits for themselves.
    I have no problem with speed limits being enforced. I do have a problem when it is done ineffectively in the name of reducing deaths, when it doesn’t really, and give the government the ability to say “look we are doing something” when in fact they aren’t.

Oh and warning of mobile units on dangerous stretches of road is not campaigning. I am aware of a dangerous area where a couple of individuals were driving at risky speeds each day at around 6pm. The guards finally came with a mobile unit following complaints by locals and what happens? - that irresponsible site posted a warning! Now come on! Why??
    Did they slow down?

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I do have a problem with how they are enforced and with revenue generation be tarted up as road safety.

I asked IrishSpeedTraps a question - perhaps you can answer it - How much per annum does the government collect as a result of speed traps?

gyppo wrote:
    I asked IrishSpeedTraps a question - perhaps you can answer it - How much per annum does the government collect as a result of speed traps?
    I have no idea, I am waiting for Srameen to post the figures he has found.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:

MrP

I thought you had, you seemed fairly adamant in your post that road safety campaigns were a tarted up form of revenue generation.

I, do however same some figures to base my arguement on:
    Based on the 2006 year, 368 fatalities cost the state 839,040000E (bases on an average cost of 2.28M Euro per life lost - http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Mandatory_Alcohol_Testing_Producing_Reduction_in_Road_Deaths.html )

I doubt the monies generated from speed trap fines comes within an asses roar of this figure - perhaps you would care to prove me wrong.

Mr P. Please don't tell me that I think and feel what I do because the Government want me to do so. I am well able to consider a situation and decide my opinion for myself and despite your assertion I am not a fool.
    Speedtraps are not only on the M1 but on N and R roads too and these are the ones Irishspeedtraps warn about although they are trying to save lives on dangerous roads.
    A driver slowing down on a particular stretch of road today because of a speedtrap warning achieves nothing, as he will continue to speed. The habit has not been broken. If there was a fear of being caught anyplace anytime then the speed may reduce longterm.
    I never once mentioned "nailing" people doing 130 on the M1. Don't put words in my mouth! I am actually referring mostly to smaller roads.
    As for the circumstance of the accident I referred to: I will not go in to details but suffice to save it was an 80kmh road with a driver exceeding 100kmh.

MrPudding wrote:
    Did they slow down?

Only for one day and then continued to put the lives of people living on that strtch of road at risk.

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:

MrP
    I would have to look up/enquire for other years but I know off the top of my head that the official figure for 2003 was €9.1Million (Seems a large sum but is a drop in the ocean when compared to the cost of enforcement, campaigns, and picking up the piceces of lives shattered by accidents.)

Advertisement