Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody got a Nokia N70??

• 08-11-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

As the thread says anybody got one of these phones? Just about to get one but have been advised against it by a retailer ! They have had numerous returns for this handset due to poor signal ability and general dissatisfaction for the battery life, the published talk time is 3 hrs but its apparently a lot less in reality :confused:

Any comments welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i have one. i have to charge it every two days at a stretch but its grand. it makes a buzzing sound when the backlight is on but it goes off about ten seconds into a phone call so i've got used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cheers.

Anybody else? A mate was telling me if it loses signal in a bad coverage area it doesnt always rectify itself which is a pain in the ass as unless you keep checking it you could be off air without even realising it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I have one since the release date and its perfect, never acted up on me and as far as the signal goes I have never had a problem. there may be issues with the 3g losing coverage and moving to the gprs network (on vodafone).
    as far as I am concerned great phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Sizzler wrote:
    Cheers.

Anybody else? A mate was telling me if it loses signal in a bad coverage area it doesnt always rectify itself which is a pain in the ass as unless you keep checking it you could be off air without even realising it :o

Thats been happening to me, at least twice a day. It really sucks. I'm going to change my phone but carphone warehouse are being a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Hi,

I've had an N70 since August (have changed to a W850i this week)

Pros:
    1) Well it's a Series 60 phone so there are tonnes of apps out there for it.
    2) For such a fully featured phone it's reasonably small.

Cons:
    1) It's so slow. Pressing a button can take a while for something to happen. This has been my major complaint.
    2) There's an annoying buzzing sound when the backlight is on.
    3) I get wierd issues when the phone goes from 3G to GPRS. The data connection goes wierd and the email app doesn't work then.
    4) Whenever I go into the Jervis centre the phone loses coverage completely. When I come out of there it still can't find coverage. I usually switch it off then on again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I've had mine about 6 months, never really noticed any problems with it. But it did die on me about a moth ago, I had to get it flashed.

I like the phones features but it's a bit of a brick. I'd love it to by thiner/lighter but with the same screen size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cheers lads, Im struggling to make my mind up now :confused:

I dont mind its appearance or quirky functionality but if it drops off the network at random intervals or starts making noises then Im going to get pis*ed ! Especially considering the cost etc

Problem is I really like Nokia so dont want to take that step into the unknown of another brand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Sizzler wrote:
    Cheers lads, Im struggling to make my mind up now :confused:

I dont mind its appearance or quirky functionality but if it drops off the network at random intervals or starts making noises then Im going to get pis*ed ! Especially considering the cost etc

Problem is I really like Nokia so dont want to take that step into the unknown of another brand...
    I've never had any issues with the signal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got mine recently as a replacement for an E61 (heap of sh!te) and never had any problems.

The only thing that annoys me is the crappy build quality and the creaking of the fascia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Nothing speciific on the N70 but reading reviews for the E70 there were a lot of people complaining about it loosing signal indoors. Like Nokias myself, but never had a "smart" one up to now and when I read things like this I think I might stay away from them.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Advertisement

Are these claims about the battery life true? I have a 6680 and get 6 days out of it! I didn't think there'd be much of a difference between them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have an N80 which I think isn't too different to the N70, and battery life is about 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Had the N70. No major issues. Antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as other Nokias. Friend has a 6230i and she and I are on Meteor. She has signal in our work basement. I have very very poor signal, not enough to make a decent phone call, while she can get by fine. I'm using an N80 at the mo, but the N70 was the same.

I had no issues with the N70 bar the small keypad. Of course, I was probably one of the few who updated my firmware as soon as available :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭kirving

I have a Nokia 6630, great overall. But sometimes it loses signal completely and doesnt regain it, also the batter indicator is very eratic. Sometimes it wont show full batter when i have been charging it for ages, but a restart fixes that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I don't have one myself, but I'm frequently ask to "fix" my friends N70. Nothing wrong with the phone though, he's just a bit of a technophobe!

My only reservations are it's small keypad which I can imagine is frustrating if you're an avid texter and of course, the seemingly poor response time when accessing menus.

Other than that, I reckon it's a solid phone, although it's one that I probably wouldn't buy for my own personal use.

Advertisement