Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New guttering - How Much?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum - mods feel free to move.....

I'm looking to get new gutters put on my house. I have the original 1954 cast iron gutters and they're leaking a bit so I think it's time either to fix them or get replacements.
    What's the best option for this - new ones (they don't have to be cast iron ones, the house next door has those aluminium ones that are made on site) or get the cast iron ones repaired?
    Anyone know of the cost of either of these options?
    I've googled and found a few guttering people ( gutterman.ie etc.) but no prices.
    Has anyone gotten any work done from a guttering firm that they would recommend?
    Thanks in advance.

edit: I should alson mention that it is a terraced house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mothy

Did you have any luck after all with those gutters?

I'm in the same situation, with old cast iron gutters. The house is over 100 years old but I'm not sure about the gutters.

So far, I fixed one leak by:
    • removing all of the old sealant at one of the joints
    • removing as much loose rust around the area as possible using a wire brush (and a drill with wire brush attachment, gently)
    • painting a small area with Hammerite
    • and finally, the gaps with a decent sealant.

So far so good but now we've seen the other leak by the down pipe and it's not nice. I'm not too keen about all that work again but I may have too.

The only problem is that I'm only doing patches and really, it'd be better to remove all the gutters and either replace them or strip them down, re-coat them and put them back in place with fresh sealant. However, this would involve spanning 4 cottages to be done properly!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Didn't get it done yet... other things took priority. I'm not the type to try to repair things myself. I'd be more comfortable doing a days overtime and paying someone else instead of attempting to do something I've never done before. I'd recommend talking to the other people in the other cottages and trying to get a deal to get all the cast iron ones restored in one go. If the cotteges are that old then i think that this would be the most considerate thing for the buildings. It would look better and not affect the resale value by very much (it may just put it up a little).

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can get galvanised gutters in black as well, Lindab do them.
    I think a lot of the reason for the demise of cast iron guttering is to do with the safety aspect, having heavy cast iron above ones head in a a position where it concievably fall onto a person has not been percieved as being a good option (legally speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

I'm in exactly the same situation as the OP. I couldn't find anyone to repair it, so I decided to opt for replacement using cast aluminium but haven't found anyone who'll do that either (they all want to do PVC). I got a rough quote for cast alu from gutterman.ie ages ago, but then got no further responses to my emails (and got distracted by other things so didn't follow up). If you find someone please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mothy

Will let you know what I end up doing. Currently it's looking like patching up the new leak again and maybe painting more of the gutter, downpipe to improve the look.

Tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I was thinking of using copper guttering on my new build as the house is a natural stone finish it will eventually blend in well...

Any thoughts on copper guttering good or bad ?

baud.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

not sure if its any help but i've just built my house and i went for the pvc gutters.

length - 25 metres
    downpipes x 4

cost was 1,550 euro

hope it helps

Advertisement