Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours alarm on non stop for almost a week now.

Options
  • 08-11-2006 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

My neighbours are obviously not home but their alarm started inside the house sometime on Thursday. It has not stopped since then. I have called our landlord, who put me in contact with the manager of the estate. They could do nothing other than leave her a message on her answering machine. (which I had already done after googling her address and finding a phone number)

I called the police (incase someone had been breaking in) and they told me they could do nothing.

I called the council to report noise pollution, nothing.

I called several real estate agents that might possible be even selling the house.

I'm obviously desperate as this alarm is right under my bedroom and the blasting into my ears all night for a week is starting to really affect me. I can't sleep! I can't think! I can't watch tv without it on full volume. I can't even be in the house without being annoyed now.

Anyone have ANY solution short of breaking in and smashing the alarm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hassle the manager of the estate every day, and get them to hassle the home owner.

Also, hassle the council about the noise polution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

maybe a neighbour has a key if they are gone on holidays???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If there is an external meter, could the ESB cut the power and then turn it back on to reset the alarm?

I don't know if this would work......it just seems like the obvious answer to me

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

(God forbid) your neighbours may still be in... Any foul smells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

inigo wrote:
    (God forbid) your neighbours may still be in... Any foul smells?

No idea but the thought did cross my mind. I tried to look into their house to even read the type of alarm they have and could see noone in there. It looks like they have gone away because the car is still there untouched for the week.

The management called her several times on her mobile and had no answer, I called her house phone (I think) and had no answer.

The police told me on the 3 times I called them to report that perhaps they should take a look, that there was nothing they could do and that they didn't believe me that noone had come to check the house already. After I put forward the idea that someone might be dead inside the house and that is why they are not turning off the alarm... they thought it was funny!

I will check if they have an external meter, thanks for the tip. It might just save my sanity!

I have called the council several times and told everytime they can do nothing about it. So far I haven't found anyone that even knew the persons name, let alone had a key.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normally there will be a cut-off switch with the external meter. We have had a similar situation here a few times and found that cutting the electricity did the trick.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

if its monitored then they will have keyholders. Keyholders will have keys to the house and the code to switch it off.
    Most likely keyholders are near neighbours or family members.The company monitoring the alarm may be able to help you.

If its not monitored theres nothing you can do really.I would not reccommend interfreing with their property ,ie tampering with their power supply.

try the keyholder route first...

smccarrick wrote:
    Normally there will be a cut-off switch with the external meter. We have had a similar situation here a few times and found that cutting the electricity did the trick.

Shane

What does an external meter look like? I'm Australian and ours was just a box beside the front door on the wall but I didn't see anything like that on theirs.

I work with several ex real estate agents and they all said that their old companies would have changed the locks, disengaged the alarm and left a notice saying that they had to as the alarm was on for a week. Why won't they do that for me now?

I am leaving Ireland on the 30th of November and hoped my last weeks being as stressful and hard as they are.. wouldn't have involved being not able to sleep either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

Main fuse beside ESB meter *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

eirlink wrote:
    if its monitored then they will have keyholders. Keyholders will have keys to the house and the code to switch it off.
    Most likely keyholders are near neighbours or family members.The company monitoring the alarm may be able to help you.

If its not monitored theres nothing you can do really.I would not reccommend interfreing with their property ,ie tampering with their power supply.

try the keyholder route first...

Eh I'd imagine it's not a monitered alarm...........after a week!

Break into the house to swith off the lecky, then the guards will come :D

Seriously though I can sympathise, it's rediculous that people can get away with this kind of stuff. The owners are probably having a lovely holiday somewhere while you have to put up with their inconsideration.

• Advertisement

Eh I'd imagine it's not a monitered alarm...........after a week!

Break into the house to swith off the lecky, then the guards will come :D

Seriously though I can sympathise, it's rediculous that people can get away with this kind of stuff. The owners are probably having a lovely holiday somewhere while you have to put up with their inconsideration.

I was on to the management company again today. (I actually work in an estate management office) I got my boss to check out the procedure that we use and he said that he used it in all his old jobs too for such problems.

She said I have to call the guards, I told her I did 3 times and they told me to call the council, who told me to call estate management, who is now again telling me to call the guards!

I told them this and they said that the person who owns that house is on their committee and that they won't do it. They also said she is well known in the management company and that she pops in regularly to let them know what is going on in the estate. I pointed out that the fact she had not dropped in to let them know she was going away was out of character if what they say is true and should be even more of a reason for them to enter the property and check.

The woman I was speaking to said I have to talk to someone else after lunch. Why should I even have to waste my phone credit on this?

I am sure the person is completely unaware of how much annoyance she has caused me but I just wish that people would stop fobbing me off.
    I hope their holiday is ****, it is raining and they lose their luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

This happened in my area. After a couple of days, one of the neighbours propped a ladder against the wall of the empty house, climbed up to the alarm box and struck it with a hammer until the sound stopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its called temporary insanity OTK, the noise drove the poor fella MAD!!!!!

No court in Ireland could convict him for it once he is MAD!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

The ESB Meter and main fuse are ESB property and its an offence to intefere with them. Anyway what might you affect inside the property by turning off the power? They might have a fish tank, what about the contents of fridge/freezer, what about smoke or fire alarms that wont work because the power if off......

Give them a bollocking when they return home but leave the power alone...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Beta Bill wrote:
    They might have a fish tank, what about the contents of fridge/freezer,
    Either they're away on holidays or dead. There's probably not much food in the freezer and even if there is tough. Same for any fishies.
    what about smoke or fire alarms that wont work because the power if off......
    There's noone (alive) in the house, it doesn't matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

OTK wrote:
    This happened in my area. After a couple of days, one of the neighbours propped a ladder against the wall of the empty house, climbed up to the alarm box and struck it with a hammer until the sound stopped.

...what happens if they get robbed? Perhaps they've been robbed already. You'd think the Guards would investigate that at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

At least we know how effective burglar alarms are! They are noisy, ineffective and a waste of money!

I wonder what the insurance companies would think about this particular case.

Heinrich wrote:
    At least we know how effective burglar alarms are! They are noisy, ineffective and a waste of money!

I wonder what the insurance companies would think about this particular case.

Exactly hehe. That alarm being on for days was like a welcome message to rob the place. COME ALL, EMPTY HOUSE WITH EXPENSIVE STUFF!!!!

It seems that my hassling of the Estate Management yesterday was good enough as they came and got into the house and turned off the alarm.

Had my first good nights sleep in a week and was so damn happy when I got home and it was OFF!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

their alarm started inside the house sometime on Thursday.

If the alarm system was set up correctly, outside bells should stop after 20 mins. If not then there is a permanent "fault", ie door open, and should be investigated. If it's the internal bells /siren, they should not be loud enough to cause such distress
    If it is the internals only....I must wonder if it's the alarm system or the neighbours that are too sensitive.
    It's all too common now....kill that sound and don't inconvenience me, even in the slightest, and bugger everybody else. Lord be with the days when a good neighbour didn't mind any temporary inconvenience and even welcomed oportunities to assist comparative strangers. It the neighbours were good alarm codes and keys would be available with an immediate neighbour or contact details given to someone who had thm.
    Be advised this city is getting colder...and I'm not refering to the onset of winter.
    t

tapest wrote:
    If the alarm system was set up correctly, outside bells should stop after 20 mins. If not then there is a permanent "fault", ie door open, and should be investigated. If it's the internal bells /siren, they should not be loud enough to cause such distress
    If it is the internals only....I must wonder if it's the alarm system or the neighbours that are too sensitive.

In a lot of cases you will find that its neither the alarm systems, or the neighbours being too sensetive- rather the extremely poor insulation between apartments that tends to carry sound very well between dwellings. We have discussed this in this forum previously.

tapest wrote:
    It's all too common now....kill that sound and don't inconvenience me, even in the slightest, and bugger everybody else. Lord be with the days when a good neighbour didn't mind any temporary inconvenience and even welcomed oportunities to assist comparative strangers.

Having an alarm going continuously for several days, or indeed in extreme cases for several weeks, is not a temporary inconvenience- its a health hazard in many cases.
    tapest wrote:
    It the neighbours were good alarm codes and keys would be available with an immediate neighbour or contact details given to someone who had thm.
    Be advised this city is getting colder...and I'm not refering to the onset of winter.
    t

I think you will find that the Management Company is supposed to have unimpeded access to carry out inspections or rectify any problems that may occur, at all times. Its not a case of whether neighbours are good or not- in a lot of complexes, there may be very very few properties which are not let to tenants, in a lot of cases on very short leases. With a lot of short-term occupancy of apartments- its nigh impossible in a lot of cases to get to know your neighbours, and even if you do- they will be gone in no time flat. Even a lot of owner occupiers are moving from apartment living, in a lot of cases because of Management Companies and their fees, exacerbating the situation.

There is not a simple solution to the OPs problem, other than to do exactly as he did, lodging complaints with the relevant authorities- who did eventually sort his problem for him- unfortunately taking their time to do so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

tapest wrote:
    ...It's all too common now....kill that sound and don't inconvenience me, even in the slightest, and bugger everybody else. Lord be with the days when a good neighbour didn't mind any temporary inconvenience and even welcomed oportunities to assist comparative strangers...
    Oh come on :eek: you can't be serious? Are you telling me that one week of constantly ringing bells in your ears is a 'temporary inconvenience'. I'd like to see you put up with that.

Besides, the OP is doing everything they can, including calling the Guards, to make sure the house (the poeple?) are ok.

I know what point you are trying to make (and for what it's worth I agree, there's no such thing as 'community' anymore) but it doesn't apply here unfortunately.

EDIT: The poster above beat me to it, but yes, that's what we pay exhorborant fess to management companies for, to 'manage' these situations, not just cut the grass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You've talked to the gards, you've talked to the management company, you've taken all reasonable measures. Peronsally, I'd now smash the alarm. No one in their right mind would convict you. It doesn't seem like anyone cares anyway. If anyone has a court case, it's you for the stress brought on by the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

This is a breach of the noise pollution act - you have rights, check out www.environ.ie

NEIGHBOURHOOD NOISE

Continual noise from other houses, home workshops, local businesses etc. too can be a source of nuisance and distress for people. In 1994, the Minister for the Environment addressed this problem by making regulations under the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Act, 1992, whereby any individual person, or a local authority, may complain to a District Court seeking an Order to deal with the noise nuisance i.e. noise so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such pitch or duration or occurring at such times that it gives a person reasonable cause for annoyance.
    Firstly a complainant must give notice to the person making the noise of the intention to make a formal complaint to the District Court and then he/she must serve a notice on the alleged offender that a complaint is being made at least 7 day in advance of the complaint being made to the Court. The District Court will hear both sides of a complaint and where it finds in favour of the complainant it can order the person or body making the noise to reduce it to a specific level, to limit it e.g. to specified times, or to stop it altogether.

tapest wrote:
    It's all too common now....kill that sound and don't inconvenience me, even in the slightest, and bugger everybody else. Lord be with the days when a good neighbour didn't mind any temporary inconvenience and even welcomed oportunities to assist comparative strangers. It the neighbours were good alarm codes and keys would be available with an immediate neighbour or contact details given to someone who had thm.
    t

I highly doubt that you would just be ok with having a blaring alarm going under your bedroom for more than a week. I live above their house so yes it is BLARING. Those things are designed to deter people from being in the house, well atleast we know that it also works through walls/floors/ceilings.

This is nothing to do with me being too sensitive. I didn't call anyone until the 3rd day of it being on after which I find it is totally unreasonable to have it on. Noone had the persons contact details. I did call the police several times to report a possible break in. They just didn't give a damn. Perhaps that is the problem but...

ANYWAY................

Yesterday someone came and turned the alarm off after much more hassling and many more irritating phonecalls. Thanks to everyone that has been helpful and offered tips.

To the one/s who didn't, I hope someday when it happens to you, that you remember your wonderful attitude in regards to this and enjoy every minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Yesterday someone came and turned the alarm off after much more hassling and many more irritating phonecalls....

Oh go on finish the story...:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I guess persistance is key in this situation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

smccarrick wrote:
    In a lot of cases you will find that its neither the alarm systems, or the neighbours being too sensetive- rather the extremely poor insulation between apartments that tends to carry sound very well between dwellings. We have discussed this in this forum previously.

Having an alarm going continuously for several days, or indeed in extreme cases for several weeks, is not a temporary inconvenience- its a health hazard in many cases.

I think you will find that the Management Company is supposed to have unimpeded access to carry out inspections or rectify any problems that may occur, at all times. Its not a case of whether neighbours are good or not- in a lot of complexes, there may be very very few properties which are not let to tenants, in a lot of cases on very short leases. With a lot of short-term occupancy of apartments- its nigh impossible in a lot of cases to get to know your neighbours, and even if you do- they will be gone in no time flat. Even a lot of owner occupiers are moving from apartment living, in a lot of cases because of Management Companies and their fees, exacerbating the situation.

There is not a simple solution to the OPs problem, other than to do exactly as he did, lodging complaints with the relevant authorities- who did eventually sort his problem for him- unfortunately taking their time to do so.....

Iwas under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that it was a house not apartment, in which case I think my comments(for the most part)were correct
    from the OP's
    "manager of the estate"
    and
    "I called several real estate agents that might possible be even selling the house."

Only after a re-read and found
    "alarm is right under my bedroom"
    I see now that it may be an apartment complex, which means that the alarm system should be in good working order with bell time out etc(deliberately mandatory in recent (10yrs??)alarms . Would management fees not cover the regular servicing as (as far as I know) these complexes are pre-wired.
    t

tapest wrote:
    Would management fees not cover the regular servicing as (as far as I know) these complexes are pre-wired.
    t

No- using my own complex here in Lucan village as an example, while the properties were pre-wired for alarms, it was up to the owners of the apartments to take out contracts as they saw fit. Around 3/4 of the apartments have alarms- of which about half of those have active contracts with Alarm companies. There are 5 different alarm companies represented.

Depending on what level of alarm monitoring one wanted- it could potentially be a costly proposition, in our case people simply were unwilling to pay the fees.....

Advertisement