Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars registered from UK being taken in??

Options
  • 08-11-2006 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a silly question but i found the car of my dreams and the price is almost too good to be true.

Is a UK import and the VRT has to be paid.

Dunno how to word this but while telling a colleague he told me to be careful and these cars are being called in or something as the revenue are clamping down on the cars that have been enhanced or boosted yet are still only being registered as smaller engine cars?

He said it was in the paper today.

How can i tell or what safeguards are there? This car really is a beauty and i would hate to let it go due to wrong information nor paranoia!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you import a car from outside the ROI you have to pay VRT on the car within 48 hours of bringing it into the country. Once you have the VRT paid then there is no worry of having it impounded.

If the engine has been extermley modified and doesn't relect what is on the registration documentation ie a 2.0 turbo under the bonnet and 1.3 on the registration document then I'm not too sure on what the boys in the VRO will do.

What type of car are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thanks for the reply.

I am not bringing it in its already here. Its a mazda mx3 1.6 but its spotless. Its a private sale so i am just a bit cautious as there is no comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This website will tell you how much VRT is due on the car:https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRTYou should also do an HPI check on the car, http://www.hpi.co.uk, to make sure it hasn't been crashed, stolen or clocked. Other than that, just pay attention to all the usual things when buying a car - service history, condition etc. It might also be a good idea to have a mechanic look over the car if you're not absolutely sure what you're doing. Good luck.

Anan1 wrote:
    This website will tell you how much VRT is due on the car:https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRTYou should also do an HPI check on the car, http://www.hpi.co.uk, to make sure it hasn't been crashed, stolen or clocked. Other than that, just pay attention to all the usual things when buying a car - service history, condition etc. It might also be a good idea to have a mechanic look over the car if you're not absolutely sure what you're doing. Good luck.

Thanks a mill. ALready calculated VRT. That HPI one is very helpful though and basically what i wanted. all i need now is the reg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Trinity1 wrote:
    Dunno how to word this but while telling a colleague he told me to be careful and these cars are being called in or something as the revenue are clamping down on the cars that have been enhanced or boosted yet are still only being registered as smaller engine cars?
    This scam is a dealer imports a car, claiming it to be a 1.6 (or less!) when it actually is a 1.8. Dealer pays (reduced) VRT and registers car. Sells car as a 1.8.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    This scam is a dealer imports a car, claiming it to be a 1.6 (or less!) when it actually is a 1.8. Dealer pays (reduced) VRT and registers car. Sells car as a 1.8.

Well its being sold to me as a 1.6 and i pay the VRT so i guess this has nothing to do with this particular scam?

Dont ask me why but still weary bout buying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Take heed of Victor's remark, because AFAIK UK mazda MX-3s are 1,8 V6s, never heard of a 1,6 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If it's a UK car, why not ask to see the V5 which is the UK registration document, that will tell you what engine size it is.

Failing that, try some of the UK based insurance sites, (Directline.com, sheila's wheels, morethan.com etc) a lot of them can pick up the car's details from the number plate and will tell you exatcly what it was oriinally registered as.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pm me the reg. I can find out what it is handily and quickly.

Pm me the reg. I can find out what it is handily and quickly.

Thanks a mill for that although i dont have the reg. I have to pass on it as the insurance is much higher than i thought it would be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ambro25 wrote:
    Take heed of Victor's remark, because AFAIK UK mazda MX-3s are 1,8 V6s, never heard of a 1,6 version.
    Hey, I was just giving an example! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Trinity1 wrote:
    Well its being sold to me as a 1.6 and i pay the VRT so i guess this has nothing to do with this particular scam?

Dont ask me why but still weary bout buying it!

Well you would have to pay the extra.

Also I suspect a lot of dealers will be trying to offload these type of cars cheaply before the new "must have NCT for imports" start on the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

mx3 definately comes in 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8 v6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Jap imports (AZ3) were 1.5 or 1.8, Irish and UK (MX3) were 1.6 or 1.8, IIRC. MX5's were 1.8+ (again, IIRC).

Advertisement