Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need your help (Irish Slang)

Options
  • 08-11-2006 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I'm writing my theses on Irish Slang, and I need native speakers to fill in the questionnaire that's given bellow. I live far away from Ireland, so I'd really appreciate if someone would help me 'cause I have no idea where else I could get information I need for the practical part of my work :)

So if you have some free time, please, don't hesitate, and answer the following questions:)

I'd be thankful for any information and help ;)

Religion:
    Profession:
    City You are originally from:

1. Do you use slang? Why? When do you use slang? Under what circumstances?

2. Do you use different types of slang with different people? Explain.

3. Does the amount of slang the other person uses influence how much slang you use? Why or why not?

4. Are there circumstances in which or people with whom you would not use slang?

5. Do you use more or less slang with someone you have just met than someone you know well?

6. Do/ Did you employ the same slang words at school and at university/ college/work? (Examples)

7. Did your lecturers/friends have nicknames? Why? (Examples)

8. Do your parents use slang?

9. Do you use the same slang words as your parents? (Examples)

10. What are some slang words you use most often?

Thank you beforehand :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Do you mean native Irish speakers?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As far as I can see, the OP means Irish idiums, as opposed to the Irish language. I don't know of too many people who post on boards who can use slang as gaeilge.

I'll do that survey tomorrow during my hours of procrastination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sex: Male
    Religion: None
    Profession: IT
    City You are originally from: Dublin

1. Do you use slang?
    Yes I use slang.
    Why?
    Is there a reason? I was brought up with it, it's the way I communicate with my peers, family and work colleagues.
    When do you use slang?
    In the pub, at football matches, in the home, in work, everywhere, apart from dealings with clients and customers, but even there, if I feel it will make them more comfortable I'll use it then.

Under what circumstances?
    It's probably more appropriate to ask under what circumstances I wouldn't use it. In job interviews or in official dealings with Government Departments, the likes of that.

Of course. Different people call for different slang. I grew up with a close group of friends, we have our own slang, I'm sure.

In different jobs over the years there have been slang terms for various things within the work environment, that are only used in the specific jobs.

3. Does the amount of slang the other person uses influence how much slang you use? Why or why not?
    Yes.

Professionally, if a person is using job related slang, then I'll use it.

In social situations, I'll use slang until a person seems not to recognise it.

4. Are there circumstances in which or people with whom you would not use slang?
    This depends on the situation really. If I feel I need to make a person feel more comfortable in a certain situation, I'll use more slang. If there is a new person in a job I'll use slang so they can get used to the friendly environment.

Also, if I feel I am comfortable enough with a certain group of people I'll use more slang.

5. Do you use more or less slang with someone you have just met than someone you know well?
    Again, depending on the situation.

In work if a new person joins at the same level as me, then I'll try to make them feel more welcom by using slang terms. At a level above me, I won't use slang until they begin to use it around me.

In social circumstances I'll use slang from the outset, until I recognise the other person isn't recognising it.

6. Do/ Did you employ the same slang words at school and at university/ college/work? (Examples)
    Yes and no. Slang is dependent on the situation.

My school friends are, by and large, the same friends I have now, so I'm sure that most of that slang is the same, or similar to what it was.

Most of my work colleagues are the same age as me, so I'd assume they use the same range of slang terms also.

Yes.

Nicknaming of friends is the norm among my social group. We might pick up on a physical appearance. One of my friends was nicknamed 'Eyeball' because his eyes were more prominent than most people's. Another is called 'The Mole' because of a mole growing on his face.

Yes they do.

Hmm, in general it seems my parents try to use the same slang as me.

My mother has started to use the term 'Yeah, right', something I had never heard her use before myself and my siblings started to use it.

Jaysis.
    Are yeh headin' for a couple o' scoops.
    Machine.
    Yoke.

A lot of football terms.

Thank you beforehand :)
    Absolutely no skin off my nose me oul shegotia.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

As far as I can see, the OP means Irish idiums, as opposed to the Irish language. I don't know of too many people who post on boards who can use slang as gaeilge.

I'll do that survey tomorrow during my hours of procrastination.

Níl sé sin ceart a mhaicín,ná bhí ag caint rá mheis mar sin.Bhainoid mé sceilp as do cheann le mo shillelagh a phleic

:D:D:D;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dúirt mé ná raibh aithne agam ar an iomarca daoine a mbeadh in ann béarlagair Ghaelach á labhairt, a mhaicín. Ní dúirt mé ná bheadh éinne Ghaeilge a labhairt.

Ó, agus níl an focail "ráiméis" ina béarlagair, ach oiread. :)

Anyway, it's hardly fair talking in Irish when the OP probably doesn't have a notion what's going on.

Maybe she could come back and let us know what exactly she needs us to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PorcelainGirl

Do you mean native Irish speakers?

Yup, the ones that were born and raised in Ireland.
    As far as I can see, the OP means Irish idiums, as opposed to the Irish language. I don't know of too many people who post on boards who can use slang as gaeilge
    I just need you to write casual slang words you use every day. I didn't mean slang in Gaelic.
    Anyway, it's hardly fair talking in Irish when the OP probably doesn't have a notion what's going on.

You're right, I don't understand Irish, but go on talking. I don't mind;)
    Absolutely no skin off my nose me oul shegotia
    Well thanks anyway and happy forthcoming birthday!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wouldn't a survey website that allows you to create your own forms and gather data be better for you? You might find that easier to collate the information. I know of this one but I am sure there are others.

My answers

If the word fits to be honest apart form certain social settings.

Yes, again depends on context.

It can do. There is a theory that we tend to match people in speech patterns.

Yes, with much older people and in what I see as more formal settings.

It depends on the context. Obviously a business meeting is not going to generate much.

6. Do/ Did you employ the same slang words at school and at university/ college/work?

The usual craic,gombeen gob****e.

7. Did your lecturers/friends have nicknames? Why?

Being from Dublin, one was required to have one preferably ending in an O

Yes

No, I think more of the slang we use is based around expletives and current fads.

See 5 above , although I have a fondness for muppet, buzz, sound

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Sex: female
    Religion: none
    Profession: Secondary school Student
    City You are originally from: Dublin

Yes I do. I do because it's just something that has been picked up and become part of my natural vocabulary. I use it all the time, I don't notice it much of a the time because it's so natural to me.

Yes, in front of my parents for example they don't approve of me using any swear words, as well as dissapproving of me saying "knacker" which they'd find offensive to travellers even if I were reffering to your everyday bog-standard scumbag.

Yes, I tend to pick up accents and idioms quite quickly so if I'm with someone who uses a lot of slang, especially if I'm in a different part of the country I will speak like them so we're talking on the same wavelength.

My parents to some extent although there are words I will use around them, teachers, anyone in authority.

If they are my own age I'll use pretty common slang, if they're someone quite a bit older I'll hold off on the slang.

Some words come in and out of fashion, like in primary school and to a lesser extent in first year it was all about "meeting" boys, now we "score" them.

You know I find this happens a lot more with boys then with girls, they'll take a name (often the second name) and ad "o" to it, with first names too eg. "Danno" "Anto" etc. With girls in my school (which would be a typical "D4" school nicknames are often injokes, some so old we can't remember why we call our friends their nicknames just that we do. On a recent school tour people got hoodies with "Muckers on Tour" on them and nicknames on the back, there were some very strange ones that only them and their group of friends would know the origins of.

My mum moreso than my dad, she's from Cork and uses a lot of Cork slang, like Langer etc.

Yeah sometimes I'd say "langer" and stuff with my mum.

Scumbag, skobe, skanger, retard, spa

Advertisement