Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting probs...Anyone???

Options
  • 08-11-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend started renting in Feb 2006,we have decided we want out..we ONLY signed a 6 mth contract which by now is well over.When i rang the landlord she said we would have to give 28 days notice(pay another months rent) i think shes wrong as we are not legally binded after the 6 mths...would i be right?? after all it was her fault she did not follow up on anything after the 6 mths ANYONE????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Any lease I've ever signed has had some kind of provision for the length of notice to give after the term of the lease is up. Does yours not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You might want to give the PRTB a buzz. The 28 days your landlord is talking about is a part IV tenancy under the residential tenancies act, but I seem to remember that a part IV tenancy only comes into effect at the end of the first 6 month period (I may be very wrong).

If it is a part IV tenancy your landlord is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

BECAUSE you are there over 6 months you are leagally obliged to give 35 days notcie as part of the PRTB (www.prb.ie) actually.
    It works both ways so it is fair. Had you wished to stay on and the landlord told you to get out tomorrow how would you feel?

Anyway point is 35 days in notice needed (or forefit your deposit).

Advertisement